Jump to content Jump to content

Could there be oval tracks?

I know Indycars race on regular tracks too but I'm hoping there's one or two (the most we can realistically hope for) in Autosport. There's Indycar so maybe. I don't mind if it's not Indianapolis. Codemasters do have previous history with ovals as they did two Indycar games on Xbox in the mid 2000s. I have Indycar Series 2005 and it works on the UK 360 fine. Play it sometimes and it's fantastic. Definitely recommend it.

And if there's 5 tiers for each discipline, there must be more than just Indycar and F3 in the Open Wheel category? Though I am excited just for IndyCar alone anyway.
I still think Indianapolis is likely because it was in Grid 2. Additionally someone from the Codies team mentioned 'ovals' in a post, so my money is on Indy coming back. (I also thought DTM cars would show up, so obviously I don't know much - but I called that'd Bathurst and Brand's Hatch were 'likely' and those are in.)

As far as the others Indycar currently, I dunno. Pocono would be nice, since the only games I've seen it in are NASCAR games. Milwaukee would be pretty cool too.

However, when they say they have 100+ layouts for 22 locations, I have my doubts as to how many ovals without infield tracks are going to be present. This is especially true when you look at how many layouts each track known has so far (if we count reverses as a separate layout double the numbers):

• Hockenheim has 3 or 4, depending on if they incorporate the old circuit into the map.
  • Brands Hatch has 2 (4 if they have reversed like Grid 2)
  • Sepang has 3
  • Yas Marina has 5 - reversed layouts were not available in Grid 2.
  • Jarama had 1 layout with a reverse in RD:Grid.
  • Paris had 6 different layouts in Grid 2, not counting Liveroutes.
  • Washington D.C. had 5 forward, 5 reversed, with a total of 10.
  • San Fransisco had 3 forward and 3 reversed, total of 6.
  • Detroit had 2 layouts for Derby. If they include the street layouts from the original Grid that's 4 forward and 4 reversed on top of that, for a total of 10.
  • Mount Panorama had 2 in Grid 2, normal and reversed.

So, that's 53 routes optimistically. With 12 circuits left to be revealed you'd have to average 4 layouts per environment to reach 101. If Indianapolis is in then the 5 routes from Grid 2 are probably coming back. As far as other ovals? I dunno man.... seems like they'd have to pick up the slack somewhere else for that to work.

@Speedball‌ Daytona could be a possibility because of the Daytona 24hr layout.
Also the latest indycar layout will hopefully show up in GAS
Also maybe Either Motegei or Fugi as the Japanese endurance equivalent of DTM is in the game and also the nations history of solid Single seaters categories
Motegi could be a possibility. Daytona is owned by International Speedway Corporation, which was founded by Bill France Sr. (who also founded NASCAR). Being that ISC and NASCAR still have VERY close ties that would be a serious licensing issue. It's possible, but it's very unlikely.
Speedball said:
Motegi could be a possibility. Daytona is owned by International Speedway Corporation, which was founded by Bill France Sr. (who also founded NASCAR). Being that ISC and NASCAR still have VERY close ties that would be a serious licensing issue. It's possible, but it's very unlikely.

Yeah I agree I doubt we will see too many ovals if we see any because Indycars aer in there then Indianapolis could well be as I would maybe think COTA could be as well but we do know we do have the San Fransisco track from Grid 1 back as well

Also maybe Either Motegei or Fugi as the Japanese endurance equivalent of DTM is in the game and also the nations history of solid Single seaters categories
Either or both is possible but of the 2 I suspect Fuji would be the more likely to get the nod given it has been in CM games before as I think it was in the previous Race driver games
Speedball said:

Yeah I agree I doubt we will see too many ovals if we see any because Indycars aer in there then Indianapolis could well be as I would maybe think COTA could be as well but we do know we do have the San Fransisco track from Grid 1 back as well

Either or both is possible but of the 2 I suspect Fuji would be the more likely to get the nod given it has been in CM games before as I think it was in the previous Race driver games
Amazed they haven't raced the indycar at COTA yet. Must be a hosting or scheduling issue as with the closeness of the field I think you'd get some epic moves and racing.
I digress, apart from Indy I can't really see another oval actually being included.
are there any we maybe missed??
Rockingham???
I'm guessing it's because the Indycar series only has 18 races, Toronto, Detroit, Indianapolis and Houston get two races, and there's another race at Texas Motor Speedway near Dallas. Adding a date at Circuit of the Americas would make 4 of their season races in Texas. Ticket sales might not justify that.

Edit: and Fuji Speedway would give me some old school Pole Position nostalgia. But that's not an oval. :P

On the subject of Ovals that have established road courses, there's Rockingham, Daytona, Texas World Speedway (not to be confused with Texas Motor Speedway), Indianapolis, Iowa, Auto Club Speedway (Fontana, California), and a few others.

Another Edit: Rockingham, North Carolina is what I meant up there. I understand there's a Rockingham oval with a road course in the UK.
Speedball said:

Amazed they haven't raced the indycar at COTA yet. Must be a hosting or scheduling issue as with the closeness of the field I think you'd get some epic moves and racing.
I digress, apart from Indy I can't really see another oval actually being included.
are there any we maybe missed??
Rockingham???

Rockingham was in race driver 1 I remember that as they had both the oval and road course in that game but it was a relatively new trsack then not sure whether it's erally popular enough to really include it in a modern day racer though but I could be wrong I don't see any other ovals either beiong put in given there are 22 venues to go in I think they said I wo0uld imagine they'd split it down the middle 11 street trscks and 11 race tracks. it's just a question of what tracks

Speedball said:
I still think Indianapolis is likely because it was in Grid 2. Additionally someone from the Codies team mentioned 'ovals' in a post, so my money is on Indy coming back. (I also thought DTM cars would show up, so obviously I don't know much - but I called that'd Bathurst and Brand's Hatch were 'likely' and those are in.)

As far as the others Indycar currently, I dunno. Pocono would be nice, since the only games I've seen it in are NASCAR games. Milwaukee would be pretty cool too.

However, when they say they have 100+ layouts for 22 locations, I have my doubts as to how many ovals without infield tracks are going to be present. This is especially true when you look at how many layouts each track known has so far (if we count reverses as a separate layout double the numbers):

• Hockenheim has 3 or 4, depending on if they incorporate the old circuit into the map.
  • Brands Hatch has 2 (4 if they have reversed like Grid 2)
  • Sepang has 3
  • Yas Marina has 5 - reversed layouts were not available in Grid 2.
  • Jarama had 1 layout with a reverse in RD:Grid.
  • Paris had 6 different layouts in Grid 2, not counting Liveroutes.
  • Washington D.C. had 5 forward, 5 reversed, with a total of 10.
  • San Fransisco had 3 forward and 3 reversed, total of 6.
  • Detroit had 2 layouts for Derby. If they include the street layouts from the original Grid that's 4 forward and 4 reversed on top of that, for a total of 10.
  • Mount Panorama had 2 in Grid 2, normal and reversed.

So, that's 53 routes optimistically. With 12 circuits left to be revealed you'd have to average 4 layouts per environment to reach 101. If Indianapolis is in then the 5 routes from Grid 2 are probably coming back. As far as other ovals? I dunno man.... seems like they'd have to pick up the slack somewhere else for that to work.

not too suer what you meant by Yas marina (or Abu Dhabi as I call it) not being reversed in Grid 2 as I remember having to drive it backwards or in reverse as you say and finding it tough going on the game so I think you'll find it was in there as I think driving it backwards was one of the last challenges you had to do in career mode if I recall at least in single player

Ooooooohhhhh Left Turn...........................................Letf Turn....................................Left Turn.............................Left Turn.

(:| I-)  IMO anyway  :D
If it makes you feel better, you can think of it as a 500 mile long drag race, because that's pretty much what it is.
With slip streaming and (what I hope) more realistic handling of the indycar
I think racing at Indy or if there is another oval, will be a lot more fun as you'll be able to tow, slingshot and change your lines.
I do like turning right though.
not really an attempt at humour speedball,  Just expressing how I feel about oval racing.  :)
gotta asmit though having played racing games with ovals in the past both Nascar and Indycar games it's not as straight forward as it looks as I personally rarely get victories on them some of them yes but not all of them
I don't see why Daytona couldn't be in GAS. You can race it in Auto Club Revolution. Maybe it has something to do with the NASCAR games being developped by the same studio, but I don't think so. There isn't a single stock car in that game.
RubyRuby said:
A little oval racing isn't bad.  It worked as a decent change of pace in NFS ProStreet.  But as a major part of the career game - not for me, thanks.  Plenty of other places to go for that.

Frank
yeah it's the same in the Shift games there are oval races but as far as I know no disciplines on it I think it's best if you're going to have ovals in this type ogf game have it in a mix of stuff there aer still Nascar games out there good/bad that can still provide us with an oval challenge should we want one
Codemasters threw IndyCars in there with no knowledge of the series they were representing. One oval will not cut it. That's what the split was about, remember? It would not be difficult to get a non NASCAR owned oval that IndyCar runs, such as the Milwaukee Mile or Pocono, then you could have a true IndyCar series....but Nooooo.