[Stadia][keyboard] Key losing function

On a windows laptop and a macbook (via wireless), same problem, also tried it in incognito mode with no extensions.

It always happens after a big glitch(2-3 seconds of frame drops) after about 5-15 minutes of playing. The framerate comes back to normal but one of the steering keys "stops" working.

I say "stops" because if I press the key I can see the steering wheel turn a few pixels for a fraction of a second.

If I use the arrow keys they all work in the game menu but not in the race.

If I reassign to different keys, the next glitch happens faster, less then a minute.

Just created an account to add my name to the list. I've got the same issue as the others. My guess as to why you guys haven't really seen this issue before is that you had mostly hardcore gamers on your platform. With the free trial of Stadia, that means lots of people that just want to use their keyboard on their laptop to play the game. 

PraukieRau's answer resembles my problem the most.

• Like 1

Same situation than others. After a few rounds one of the steering keys stops working. I need to re-bind it to some other key. Even if I re-bind it again to the same key it just doesn't work.

One more to add to the list. The game is unplayable. I can take some lagging, when it happens, but being unable to turn in the middle of a race is unacceptable

This happens to me all the time. Sometimes I would be turning around a corner and the steer left button would just break. I think its because i am spamming on the left key but I'm not too sure. If i just left the game alone and come back after a few minutes, the game would fix itself. Sometimes it also happens on the break and accelerate key as well but its not as common. When the key stops working, its not the keyboard itself that breaks. When I press down that key, it would work for a fraction of a second. Like when the right key breaks, I can still type on chrome just find. I can even see the front wheels twitch just a bit when I press on the broken key. Hopefully this gets fixed soon because grid is a great game but its just unplayable with this bug.

Posted (edited)

Just signed up to Stadia and I am experiencing the same issue. I am on MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019) using Chrome Version 80.0.3987.163 (Official Build) (64-bit). I'll play a round or two and I will loose control of either steering or throttle/brake. I've bound to the arrows keys. The keys will work fine in the in-game menu, but not in race. It will work after I've exited the game and restarted.

Worth mentioning is, that it seems to register the press of the key, as in when you loose control of reverse, it will show R and a quick response when just pressing the button. But it doesn't respond to holding down the key. 

Edited by nprasmussen

I have the same issue playing GRiD through Stadia using Macbook Pro 2019 and Macbook Pro 2018, tried using external keyboard and the same issue exists, you suddenly lose control and the some controls stops responding.

I suspected the issue is coming from Stadia, but I have already tried another games and nothing similar happens.

Hello,

Same issue here in France with my laptop connected by wire on optical fiber network. This is not a connection weakness. I do not encounter this kind of problem playing hours with other games like Destiny2 for example. 

I have defined 2 keys for throttle and 2 for brakes. When one of the key is failing, I use the second one and it is working fine. Unfortunately this option is not available for direction left and right (only 1 key), so I cannot resolve the issue by this way , because direction is the most failing one.

I am not able to finish a race in these conditions. Best time was 4 laps / 5 before bug. Generally it fails on the first lap.

Help us to resolve this bug, but keep confined !   ;)

Same problem here. Macbook Pro, over WIFI. Bandwith stream is solid, so it's not a problem of crappy internet connection. 

Same problem on Windows Surface Laptop 3.

Cant go left after a bit of time.  hugely frustrating.  

Running on an ethernet connection.

I have the same issue on pc, windows 7 64b chrome Version 80.0.3987.163  wired internet,  wireless keyboard .    have it happen on two different cars, and 4 different tracks.    have it be the right run and then accelerate.   I can rebind a new key and it will work,  but old key won't work anymore.   to make it rework with the existing bound key.  either exit and relaunch game.    or I have found if I just press esc and then wait a while.   aka read this thread,  then go back to the game it works again.  then will stop again....  post on here.   now it works again....     maybe it is polling the key to much?  but if it's accelerating key is going to be down the whole game... the game does see it is pressed,  as mph will blip but that's it. 

it really makes me want to rage quit.... 

@CMTGK I don't want to be spiteful, even if it get's me some satisfaction that we came to this point. I don't want to blame you personally - finally you where the one helped me to report this in the right way, at the right place and reported to the right people.

I reported this issue by email to 'Codemasters Customer Services' back in November - I didn't know about this board. I got some Stadia FAQ links as answer. I told them, that this where not my issues with arguments. I had to ask back two more times to get again the same FAQ links. I answered to every proposal in those FAQs, but never got any answer - not even the suggestion to post in this board. I don't know if 'Codemasters Customer Services' and you are in the same team, but this kind of customer support answer is what makes customers really angry - and if the game is not so important for the, they simply walk away.

I understand, that it is a tricky issues, as it happens somehow between Stadia and your game and it is different to other platforms. But specially on a new platform there is a good chance to have issues like this. It's a pitty we lost so much time and now all this new Stadia test users are running into it.

So realy think about how you (Codemasters) tread bug reports. I worked as customer support time ago and I know that 95% of the tickets are people how haven't read neither the manual nor FAQ or anything else, but if someone replies on your FAQ link mail, if he gives arguments, at least give him a reponse, check those arguments and if needed ask questions. To hope that the customer gives up and goes away will not resolve the bugs.

This are my 2 cent and I hope you can find the reason and a solution for this soon - even in the meantime I learned to use the controller 🎮 :classic_smile:

And after al this complains some nice words: Great game, hope It will keep on improving and I hope you will publish more games in the Stadia platform 🏎️🏎️🏎️🏎️🏎️

Good morning or good evening to all guys,

I was also following the problem since I had the same problem wirelessly on two different laptops and with two different Internet providers.
The problem, as already said by other users, occurs due to the delay;
It can happen in the presence of interference that the modem often changes the channel and the switch can cause the loss of packets, so the change I made was simply set the channel width to 20 MHz since I use the 2.5 Ghz network (lower at 140 Mbps) so that there is less interference and less packets are lost, another way to solve it I think is to disable the automatic channel switch and choose a free one.
I'm not a technician, but I solved the problem this way,
I have been playing for about an hour now without problems.
So I hope you other gamers can solve the problem too.

46 minutes ago, ItalianBrother said:

Good morning or good evening to all guys,

I was also following the problem since I had the same problem wirelessly on two different laptops and with two different Internet providers.
The problem, as already said by other users, occurs due to the delay;
It can happen in the presence of interference that the modem often changes the channel and the switch can cause the loss of packets, so the change I made was simply set the channel width to 20 MHz since I use the 2.5 Ghz network (lower at 140 Mbps) so that there is less interference and less packets are lost, another way to solve it I think is to disable the automatic channel switch and choose a free one.
I'm not a technician, but I solved the problem this way,
I have been playing for about an hour now without problems.
So I hope you other gamers can solve the problem too.

@ItalianBrother Thanks for your observations an tips. Package loss is what I also suppose to be the trigger for the event. I'm playing via Ethernet and it also happens. It's more, package loss is something inevitable, but the game has to deal with it. The problem is, that it does not recover from it. In the past I had phases of several hours or even 2 days with the issue happening and the suddenly in every second race.  

Its Google (and their stadia team) that should be onto codemasters.  

I mean they have rolled out Stadia for free so people can experience the platform, and then, when users try to experience the platform, they cant turn left.

Bit of a shocker really.  Particularly when lots of people are having this issue.

25 minutes ago, cblacque said:

I mean they have rolled out Stadia for free so people can experience the platform, and then, when users try to experience the platform, they cant turn left.

Bit of a shocker really.  Particularly when lots of people are having this issue.

When you contact Stadia with this, they tell you to contact Codemasters. They don't even track issues like this.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, cblacque said:

Tried different games on Stadia, GRID is the only one has this issue.

So i don't think this should be Stadia team problem.

Edited by raxati6025

7 hours ago, Pologuy66 said:

The only work around I have at this time is Universal Control Remapper (https://github.com/Snoothy/UCR) to emulate a xbox or dualshock controller.

how does it works? could you please eli5?

Posted (edited)

I am actually on Stadia only because of GRID and I was about to buy the expansions and the Stadia package with Joypad and all. Shame. 

Edited by skzskz

Hey everyone, thanks for all the detailed information you've given on this - it really helps when trying to replicate these sorts of issues. With Stadia Pro going free for two months, it's no wonder we're getting more people reporting this.

The team are actively looking into solving this so please monitor this thread for any updates or questions from them.

9 hours ago, skzskz said:

how does it works? could you please eli5?

There is a wiki on the github page. It should help in setting up drivers and controllers.

Macbook Pro + Chrome with keyboard. Most annoying when this happens in multiplayer 😡🤯