[Stadia][keyboard] Key losing function

I have been reporting this from the beginning, but until now nobody paid attention 😞 so I will try again.
I experienced this on any PC I played until now - something about 8 to 10 machines, 4 different Internet provider with different technologies and three different Stadia accounts (now that GRID is a pro game it’s more easy to test with any account). I also observed other gamers in the race with the same issue. So that they do not report here, does not mean the issue is inexistant.

At least I can tell you some more observation on when this happens. For me it seems to happen after a package lost - a normal issue on stadia, but sometimes it is like the game doesn’t forward the inputs of one of the keys any more. As I showed you in some videos, the input arrives at the game (there are some graphic evidences) but the action is not forwarded to the gameplay.
Finally I found out, how to recover control. First you have to turn completely in the direction that still works (without touching any other key) and then you press the key that doesn’t respond for some time (only that key) and you will recover control. You can imagine, that this only works at quite low speed, other wise you spin. When the acceleration doesn’t respond you will have to stop completely, press the brake, press the accelerator key and you can go on. This method seems to work most of the time, but you can forget the race your in. Quite annoying.

Here you can find my old post with the videos. If you need some more information, please ask

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/44268-grid-on-stadia-feedback-thread-for-stadia-players/?do=findComment&comment=488326

So please stop ignoring me with this issue 🙂      

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the information you have provided on this. You are the only one that is reporting this issue but I appreciate you have done a lot to try and replicate/fix things. 

This does look like a connection issue but I will report it anyway and see if there is a wider problem.

1 hour ago, CMTGK said:

Thanks for the information you have provided on this. You are the only one that is reporting this issue but I appreciate you have done a lot to try and replicate/fix things. 

This does look like a connection issue but I will report it anyway and see if there is a wider problem.

Once again - it may be a packet loss in the first moment, but after that, the input from the key is arriving at the server and the game is reacting on those key strokes. This is clearly visible on the videos. So its is NOT a connection issue - the connection is there, the information on the key strikes is transmitted. Any ways, it would be a very strange connection issue, if randomly a random key loses the connection but all other work fine. The other indicator, that the input is received by the game is, that pressing the keys in a certain way recovers the function. 

Anyway, if you're realy convinced, that this is a connection issue, please provide a official statement, so I can contact the Stadia support. Meanwhile they are telling me, that it is a game issue an I have to contact the publisher.

How many of the gamer report issues? And how many of them use the keyboard. For me it was reproducible on ANY mashine.
By the way - an easy way to solve this for me is providing steering wheel support 😉

thank you @gekkoX for making a detailed report of this. I'm experiencing the same issue but couldn't find any other reports until I found this forum post, and thought I was going crazy.

To reiterate the issue as I've experienced it:
When driving in a race, individual inputs will sporadically stop responding. This happens most often with direction keys (left/right), though I've also experienced it once with the brake. In my case I found that if I immediately pause, access key mappings, reassign the unresponsive input, then resume, the input will work again. But, aside from it being very difficult to immediately pause and resume without losing considerable time, if the issue happens again in the same session (without restarting the game), if I attempt to remap the failing input back to the original key it still will not work. If I choose a new unique key to map to it will work again. Meaning that whatever failure is occurring is being "remembered" and applied to multiple keys. As @gekkoX indicated, you can tell that when the input failure occurs that the game is still registering the input. When the brake input failed, when I pressed the brake key the car's brake lights would briefly flash, but the car would not slow down. When this occurred for the second time when racing last night, I just rage quit the game. At this point I'd like to continue playing but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Environmental details:
I started playing Grid on Stadia in a Chrome browser 2 days ago . I'm playing on a 2018 MacBook Pro laptop, and have experienced this with an external wireless keyboard as well as the laptop's keyboard. I'm playing in an Incognito browser and have ensured that no plugins are running, and I'm not using a VPN or proxy. While I have experienced some stuttering and glitches, this issue doesn't seem to occur at the same time as what appears to be network glitches. I have not established a pattern or been able to predict when this keyboard issue will occur - it seems to pop up randomly. It started occurring as soon as I began playing the game, but sometimes I can play for a few races before it occurs, and sometimes it occurs multiple times in the same race. I have experienced network glitches in other games on Stadia, but nothing like this keyboard input issue.

Please let me know if I can provide more help debugging this.

Thank YOU @briznad for this reply. You're describing exactly the same as me. I hope this will help to convince Codemasters to have a look on this. The fact, that there are no more reports on this, does not mean it doesn't exist. It simply means, that most people are to lazy to make bug reports.

@CMTGK By the way, here is a video snipped where you can se onboard how slowly the drivers leg switches on the brake pedal when the issue occurs with the "brake key".

• Sad 1

Hey @briznad and @gekkoX, thanks for the updated info. 

The more detail on things like this the better, especially when it's on new platform like Stadia - really appreciate your feedback. I already have the team working on looking at some of the Stadia bugs and issues you have mentioned (this one included) but I'll update them with this info here.

Will have someone actively looking at this issue. All new details have been passed on.

Same thing is happening for me too. I would play and all of a sudden a random key of the four (accelerate,brake,left,right) would stop responding completely. The only rescue is to rebind key in game control settings. Then it would happen again to another key. Very frustrating, especially if leading the race. 

I would get out of the game and key works outside the game so I doubt it is Windows issue.

Windows 10, latest Chrome browser, Microsoft Surface Bluetooth keyboard.

Also found that closing browser window does not fix the issue.

Exiting Grid game, starting another Stadia game, then starting Grid again does fix the issue.

Seems the issue is somewhere in the cloud.

Hi @gekkoX, I'm the wonderful person who's been tasked on this bug for you! 🙂

I've actually been trying to Reproduce this on the Keyboard too and had no luck so far.. so was wondering if you could give me some more details to narrow down this issue for you.

Have you noticed if there is a specific Cam/Track/Car this triggers on more so than others? 

Are you also mainly using an Ethernet Cable or Wireless where this occurs? & last question, you mentioned there is a certain key order where you end up recovering functionality, is there a particular key you've noticed that incurs the loss of functionality? 

@lucasmaj, @briznad, if you could input any information too after your posts on the questions above, that'd be great.

Thanks a lot in advance!

I hit this issue multiple times, but in my case the only way to get back the keyboard key working was to exit and enter back in the game.

So far I did not figure it out any specific way to reproduce the issue. It happened to me with the accelerator, brake and left turn key.

I'm experiencing the same thing via Chrome on both my Mac (Catalina) and my Linux (Ubuntu 18.04.04). Usually I get about two minutes into the race before the left turn key stops working (it's always the left turn key specifically). I found that switching the key binding for the left turn does make it start working again (with the new key binding, at least). 

Posted (edited)

Hi, I have exactly the same problem, I just take stadia with Grid, when I play the 3 initial events no problem at all, but I start a Fast run online, an then start the problem, first time with accelerate key, after that with directions keys. After some seconds or minutes the control come back......

Edit.... I start career... and it's totally frustrating.... I can't play one complete race without the problem.....  I play with PC - Chrome Versión 80.0.3987.163 (Build oficial) (64 bits). 

Edit, any moment, any direction or accelerate / brake Key.... in career mode, online mode, fast race.......

Edited by Orencio

This is happening to me too! Just signed up for Stadia yesterday, tried Grid today, and I can't get more than 30 seconds in when I can't turn left anymore. 

Also happening to me. extremely annoying issue, so i'll just not play the game until it's fixed. 
Playing on Chrome Version 81.0.4044.92 (Official Build) (64-bit)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) MAC OS 10.14.6 (18G103)

On 4/1/2020 at 1:22 PM, CM_Charlotte said:

I've actually been trying to Reproduce this on the Keyboard too and had no luck so far.. so was wondering if you could give me some more details to narrow down this issue for you.

Have you noticed if there is a specific Cam/Track/Car this triggers on more so than others? 

Are you also mainly using an Ethernet Cable or Wireless where this occurs? & last question, you mentioned there is a certain key order where you end up recovering functionality, is there a particular key you've noticed that incurs the loss of functionality? 

@lucasmaj, @briznad, if you could input any information too after your posts on the questions above, that'd be great.

Thanks a lot in advance!

I am having the exact same issue as they are, in order to reproduce it I would recommend spamming a button rapidly, after 10-30 sec of spamming the issue already occurs. It seems like the issue occurs less when I map the arrow keys than with any other key, but it still happens. I am quite certain this is a GRID issue if you are in the control setting it shows you what buttons are being pressed. Once you spam enough every time you press it the correct letter will appear for a fraction of a second and then disappear. as you can imagine this is quite annoying.

yep basically this.... if i just spam a key for several seconds, it eventually becomes unusable.
the only way to recover is to exit the game altogether and start over

Hi, I also have this issue, and I can confirm that spamming any of my keys makes them do this. Makes it almost impossible to play. I basically just lose functionality of whatever key this happens to. When pressed, the controls menu shows an input from that key for a fraction of a second, and then it goes back to zero input. Really frustrating :(

I am definitely getting this issue. I just signed up for Stadia, and Grid looked like the kind of game I wanted to play.
My first thought when it happened was that it was so realistic that a steering rod broke in a crash and I was unable to turn one way.  So I just drove the car without being able to turn one way.  I did this in all three of the initial races.  In my fourth race it started before I even got into a crash.

I decided it was not a fun game and left. 

I thought it might be a hardware issue with my laptop (Windows 10, HP) and tried again.  Still happened.  Found this page after my wife suggested searching online.  Changing the input keys works, though having to do it a few times a race is going to wear thin quickly. :(

I have the same issue. Macbook pro 13" using the laptop keyboard to play. It happens often i can't get through a full race without the issue. I noticed after the issue happening if I unbind and bind to a new key it works, but if I try to bind back to the original one it doesn't as if the key completely got disconnected till I restart the whole game by exciting and joining again. Sometimes I also noticed the issue happens after the game glitches (maybe slow internet), but not always sometimes it happens randomly as I play and everything is smooth

Thank to @gekkoX who was the first one reporting this bug but unfortunately is also happens to me, so is not his random issue.

About my case:

• Chrome Version 81.0.4044.92 and incognito mode
  • I played in Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18 and happens in both systems
  • Using laptop keyboard and external keyboard
  • I was connected by WiFi

Thanks for the good work with the game!

On 4/1/2020 at 1:22 PM, CM_Charlotte said:

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi @CM_Charlotte ,

sorry I havn't respond until now - was quite busy this weeks.

As many others already stated, there is nothing special triggering this behaviour. I can happen in a solitarian single player game as well as in a crowdy 40 player endurance session. As I said before, For me the trigger seems to be package loss. One thing I didn't mention before - I'm using the arrow key for the car control in stead of [W] [A]  [Y]