Sign in to follow this  

Full assists and rain, is there a solution?

I am a pretty causal gamer, play F1 2019 maybe 90 minutes a week. I use full assists, only change the front and rear wings and have a wheel where I use the paddles as accelerator and brake. I set the AI so that I was within a tenth or two of my teammate at most tracks

Game was great pre patch 1.14. Since then when it rains I am painfully slow, the auto brakes are mostly useless. If I know it is raining I drop my AI way down to have a chance. If the race is mixed weather then things are either bad for me or for the AI. Is there a set up or solution to allow full assist players to use career mode without worrying about the rain?

Hi @Aef251,

Could you possibly add a video or two for comparison. In what way have the auto-brakes changed? Does the assist now force you to brake too early, or too late. 

What bothers me most about rainy races is that the AI drives perfect , i play the game at 90% difficulty in carreer and have all assissts on except for auto braking.

The AI in the rain always seems to have perfect grip , they never slide or go into a spin or crash even when they drive over the apexes.

In real life we see that in rainy races (like Germany in 2019) nearly all driver make some sort of mistake.

In the Dry at 90% i can beat the AI in my Red Bull .....in the rain however im lucky to make top 15......the difference between AI in the Rain and in the Dry is just totallz unbalanced , and yes i know you tried to fix this issue in the last patch....but you didnt.

Will post a video when I can but it brakes late in most corners and the AI always accelerates better out of the corners in the wet. 

So this is an example of the chicane in Monaco. Monza’s first chicane, second and the first Lesmo are the same, Baku turn 7 is awful. 

And the traction the AI gets out of the corners in the wet is amazing. I stopped playing for a long time hoping the rain issue would get fixed with a patch. But right now I just sim the races if I know it will rain and then I usually end up last because at 50% race distance the simulation usually messes up the pit strategy. 

Hi @Aef251,

Thanks for the videos.

On the first example, its very difficult to see anything there, as you are off the racing line and, to be honest, wouldn't be making that in the dry on that line. I've just had a little test with the braking assist. The assist is set to 'High', but it won't be doing totally all the braking for you. I did also notice quite a difference when comparing holding the accelerator button into corners (which felt weird) and taking my foot/finger off the accelerator and lifting?

In the wet, I'd recommend using the braking assist as a backup and a aid, but feeling your way through the circuit and overriding it with your application of the brake. The Braking assist is there to do exactly that; help. Hard braking zones (from your examples above) will need player involvement to achieve competitive times. What AI level are you playing on?

So AI of 80 in the dry, but would need to drop it down to 70 or lower to be competitive in the wet. 
Keep in mind that while full brake assist has always been problematic in certain corners even in the dry, since patch 1.14 this issue has been exasperated. 

I had no issues before when I first got the game. 

So again, is there an obvious solution like brake balance for the entry, wing changes if you know rain is coming (Monza  is particularly impossible to qualify in and race in if one is wet and the other dry or vice-versa). Is there an obvious setting to get traction out of the corners that would let you stay with the AI?

And to be honest, for begginers or amateurs or guys like me who want a fun career without spending loads of time learning circuits the game should be straight forward. Assuming you pick the right front and rear wing, with full assists you should be within a tenth or two of your teammate if you stay on line. You should not have focus on the driving so much as on the racing. Ala Geoff Crammond’s Grand Prix games?

If that requires too much coding, why can’t weather be disabled  in career mode? Or the ability to change AI mid race? Since you are playing alone anyway what does that hurt anyone who wants to have fun in career mode?  

Try going to Monza and compare the auto braking in the dry and wet and you’ll see how much worse it is. Why would that be fun for someone new to the game or someone who plays once in a while after a long week of work? 

Since the game was fine when I bought it, I don’t understand why there has to be an issue now. 

ONLY FOR PC !! go here: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/f1-2017-increased-wet-weather-grip.31003/
works with F1 2019 and you can drive very well in the rain.

I don't know how plausible it is to separate "driving" and "racing". Can't really have one without the other. It's like saying that a war game should neglect "shooting" for "combat".  How does that actually work? How can you race a car if the AI drives it for you?

About your other suggestions I agree - one should be able to change the difficulty and weather settings in Career more easily, although that should probably prevent certain trophies. Not that I give a hoot about them, but someone else probably does.

I'm a bit curious. Are your pedals broken or don't you have room for them, or just can't use them due to a handicap, for example? It would certainly help you a lot if you could use pedals, too. Not only in braking but helping with traction coming out of corners.

Nigel Mansell differentiated driving as the “mundane” things like braking points and turning to the apex that driver does almost subconsciously lap after lap (so automatic breaking and follow the racing line).

Racing for him are the tactics to get past a car, where to go off line, when to thicken the fuel mix,, when to pit and what tyres to switch to  

F1 2018 still gives that even if the AI is a bit slow in the wet  F1 2019 was like that out of the box. You might have to change ai circuit to circuit to be within a tenth or two of your teammate and then if it rained you had a bit more advantage which made you feel like Senna  

So while pre-patch 1.14 the auto braking worked well for the most part if you stayed on line and passing required some thought about going off line and getting into the right spot in the braking zone; post patch the rain just makes the game I driveable and frustrating to either new comers or old guys like me. 

The game always had corners where the auto brake zones were not correct or could not handle a low downforce set up, it was usually one or two corners and since you did it over and over again in the dry you learned where to feather the throttle or brake a little early. But since it does not rain everywhere and sometimes only for the race, you end up wearing out the x button trying to complete a few laps. Just not fun and really demotivates me to play. 

While driving a road car is no problem, I don’t have the ability to use the gaming pedals two footed and right foot only seems impossible for me for a game like F1. I find the only way I can play the game is using the gear paddles as an accelerator and as a brake Anne have automatic gears. 

I get I am in no way the target demographic. I play Madden in coach mode for instance rather than control players, I only play games off-line and prefer couch co-op for shooters etc.  And I find the time to play very rarely between work and family. 

And I suppose my frustration is that the game worked well for me when I tried it and bought it because it and the previous version worked for my set up. Then the patch came and I kept hoping a subsequent patch would fix it back. So I was hoping there was an easy set up trick that would allow me to minimize the speed differential when it is a wet-dry race when I cannot just dial down the AI before the race starts to compensate. 

• Like 1

Okay, I totally understand that. Have you thought about using one pedal for acceleration and the paddle for braking? It sounds a bit silly I know, but it might work.

The only real solution that comes to my mind if you are playing on console is that you would uninstall the game, then reinstall it and not download the patch. Some bugs and patched issues will re-appear, but if they weren't a big problem before they shouldn't be now either.

I don't have any experience with braking assists, but setup-wise there are some things you could try to alleviate the problems. You mentioned wings which are of course a big part, but one thing I would highly recommend is elevating you ride height for wet conditions. It makes a huge difference. Set the rear to max height and front somewhere close to max. I was replaying the video you posted frame-by-frame, and it kind of looked to me like the car was aquaplaning and thus wouldn't brake. The problem grew worse as you were not using the driest line of the track. Give it a go and see if it helps - like I said, I have no experience on the assists so it's just a hunch. It helps a lot without assists so I'm fairly sure it would offer some help in your case too.

Codemaster should finally add an option that rain or weather changes in the career can be deactivated if necessary. Then everyone can decide for themselves, and the problems with these eternal "AI rain discussions" would be solved. It can't be that difficult to bring such an option, either in one of the next patches, or at least in F1 2020.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Magic1111 said:
..the problems with these eternal "AI rain discussions" would be solved. It can't be that difficult to bring such an option, either in one of the next patches, or at least in F1 2020.

Respectfully no they wouldn't; because I believe majority still want to have dynamic weather and race in the wet, just a fair fight.  Yes, it would be awesome to have the ability to customize the weather in career so rain sessions don't become over bearing and the more casual player can choose all dry.  But it won't change the fact that you need balanced conditions for AI and player in the wet.

(An underhanded solution may be to give the player low TT even if selected no in rain conditions and then deny deny deny. {Real solution if I understand the problem correctly is different coding for AI to where the AI don't have TT if the player doesn't, as I had read somewhere on the forum the AI are basically coded with it, and regardless of what the player selects.})

Edited by brsteg