Jump to content Jump to content

@Loore

As I understand it, the mirrors in cockpit view are none working, but do we at least get (the option of) a 'virtual' mirror ? - especially important for online play I would have thought.  If not, what is the reasoning?,

Not a complete deal breaker (for me), but it would seem odd to leave it out with a driving game.
Well It would get my vote, to add to the same shelf that includes tires, doors, and a start/finish line.  I think I can guess why it wasn't included, but in all honesty it would have made far more sense to at least have included it in the pc version rather than the HD texture pack...which in turn would have far more likely been done by the pc modders anyway.
MTonly said:
I don't care much about cockpit view itself at all since I don't use it because it does not provide enough driving precision compared with third-person (far-chase) view.

But maybe implementation of virtual mirror in, for example, "Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends" game could give Codemasters an idea of how to implement it in Codemasters' games (briefly, mirror is shown just as a standalone picture layer at the top of screen). Screenshots: 1, 2.

Such virtual mirror would be useful not just in cockpit view, but also in third-person (far-chase) view — currently we are forced to look back too often to view what is behind our car.

Thanks.
they exist in NFS as well as they're in the Shift games so I think CM knows what they are
Too busy cobbling together two cockpit views to "respond to the fans" instead of getting one right? Codies, you  guys have so much more potential. Some of this stuff is just basic. So, you responded to the "fans" by not letting them see what's going on behind them in a race? <smacks head>
MTonly said:
I don't care much about cockpit view itself at all since I don't use it because it does not provide enough driving precision compared with third-person (far-chase) view.

But maybe implementation of virtual mirror in, for example, "Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends" game could give Codemasters an idea of how to implement it in Codemasters' games (briefly, mirror is shown just as a standalone picture layer at the top of screen). Screenshots: 1, 2.

Such virtual mirror would be useful not just in cockpit view, but also in third-person (far-chase) view — currently we are forced to look back too often to view what is behind our car.

Thanks.
Those would be great, long as you could turn them on or off.
I don't really understand, they didn't have time to include it?  Surely when designing/creating the HUD a rear view mirror is a priority, they are kind of important...

I like/need to see what's going on behind me at certain points when I'm racing.

Arrows don't really cut it when racing bumper to bumper, door to door. 

Can we expect them in an update?
Loore said:
Not currently.

It's one of those features that we'd love to have but unfortunately have run out of time to include.

Well that just about sums up the problem with the gaming industry at the moment.  

There is loads of time...infact you have all the time in the world. 

Why is there a time limit?  Who's wallet has set this limit? 

The game isnt ready...ok well thats easy.....dont release it untill it is ready. 

Why do you have to churn a game out every year?  

This is a crap way of making a game.  

The correct way is, just make the damn game, take as long as it takes to make it right the first time. 

I want Autosport yesterday.  But Im more than willing to wait longer if it means you've got it right. 

Stop with your mis-guided views of what we the racing community want. Just give us what we want, and not what you think we want.  

Your adding in-car view with no mirrors. WTF?  Why dont you just give us cars with no wheels.  
Or tracks with no finish line, 

ALSO..............REMOVE

FLASHBACKS FROM

ONLINE!!!!!!!

• Codemasters Staff

Loore said:
Not currently.

It's one of those features that we'd love to have but unfortunately have run out of time to include.

Well that just about sums up the problem with the gaming industry at the moment.  

*END QUOTE*

Time is money though mate, always remember that! Every developer would always love more time to get more things in, but we have to stay realistic otherwise costs start getting out of control. And costs getting out of control is bad for everyone.

So better to stay in scope as much as possible; sometimes that means you have to leave a few things out. C'est la vie.

Britpoint said:
Time is money though mate, always remember that! Every developer would always love more time to get more things in, but we have to stay realistic otherwise costs start getting out of control. And costs getting out of control is bad for everyone.

So better to stay in scope as much as possible; sometimes that means you have to leave a few things out. C'est la vie.
Based on that being the only reason, you can't blame people for feeling like Codemasters have made some poor priority decisions, especially when they read stuff like this....

"leaves falling from trees, pollen blowing in the breeze, construction workers welding structures and maybe…. just maybe, you can catch a sight of some wildlife"

As I said before, its not a deal breaker, but it does leave me scratching my head..

Britpoint said:

Based on that being the only reason, you can't blame people for feeling like Codemasters have made some poor priority decisions, especially when they read stuff like this....

"leaves falling from trees, pollen blowing in the breeze, construction workers welding structures and maybe…. just maybe, you can catch a sight of some wildlife"

As I said before, its not a deal breaker, but it does leave me scratching my head..
And the fact that it is on the old generation, it is a waste of limited resources and stuff like this won't help with games on a totally new engine for next-gen.

Britpoint said:

Get what you're saying but resource varies between teams, for example the art VFX team that does what you describe might not have a large allocation of work towards something like a rear view mirror.

It's something we're aware you want and are looking into possible options, same with text chat.
@Loore is it possible for you and your team to explain a bit more why certain things make it in and other not and how this is handled within the different teams. I realise you have an internal structure and not all those things can be made public but maybe when you discribe you will create a bit more understanding for certain choices.

If I understand correctly rearview mirror and text-chat are still discussed? I am correct to say that if it has not been decided yet that the features won't be there from launch?

P308R said:
If I understand correctly rearview mirror and text-chat are still discussed? I am correct to say that if it has not been decided yet that the features won't be there from launch?

If they're going GM first week in early June,  there shouldn't be any new features being added to the launch version now -- only thing dev team should be doing at this stage is fixing critical bugs raised by QA.
P308R said:

If they're going GM first week in early June,  there shouldn't be any new features being added to the launch version now -- only thing dev team should be doing at this stage is fixing critical bugs raised by QA.
That's correct, we're on content lock down and the team are
incredibly hard at work getting things ready for launch. The game might come out at the end of June but for us we effectively finish at the start (taking into account times for manufacturer, shipping etc).

@P308R

We've got the team and within that team are a lot of other teams (programmers, designers, artists and so forth). When you look at making the game you lay all your ideas out on the table, look at the design and work out how long it'll take to make it all. From there you have to (unfortunately) leave things out that you simply don't have time to put in. 

Take text chat for example, many people here have claimed how easy it is, how simple it is but the harsh reality is that it requires a lot of time to implement and from a lot of teams. You're talking UI designers, artists, programmers, network programmers, designers and maybe even more.

It's a fine art that the team manage exceptionally well, taking all these ingredients and creating a tasty cake with the finished product. 

We'd love to get every feature into the game, every track and every car but we are a small team (in grand scale of things) and ultimately we have to be careful not to try and do everything. We could end up with a bit of a broken mess with features that don't work or feel tacked on and rushed - that's not what we're about.
Thanks @Loore. It will really helps a lot to get a peek in Codies kitchen. It makes things easier to understand and I appreciate you are doing this. 

Bonne chance with wrapping up the last things in #GAS. I am sure it's an exciting (nerve wrecking) time for you and your team as well.

Goonertez said:
indeed..thanks for the recent info Loore.

Meet you on the Virtual Track maybe huh?

which begs the question...what platform you play on doode?
I'll be on PC mainly as it's my personal format of choice, more than happy to have a few races with you all :)
@Loore, From what you have said, I understand a little better, there are many many chefs to prepare this meal.  

It would be good if you work out the time it would take to add everything into the game, that people expect from a racing game.  
Then when you make your next game, maybe it could take you a couple of months longer to make.

I realise if it takes longer then it costs you more money, But if the game was perfect, on Day 1 release, I think you would find you'd make more money.  People would be impressed with it....tell their friends etc. 

Im sure Autosport is goin to be a massive improvement over GRID 2.   

But its not perfect.  

And to top it all off.......FLASHBACKS are in. 

I would like to know what sort of racing experience has flashbacks.  I believe one of your team is on video saying that CM dont want to be sim, but they want us to feel like we are in a racing car, in a race.   

Great.....REMOVE FLASHBACKS and that could well be the case. 

You cant have the feeling of immersion if at any point you have the magical abilty to correct a spin/crash. 

@Loore, From what you have said, I understand a little better, there are many many chefs to prepare this meal.  

It would be good if you work out the time it would take to add everything into the game, that people expect from a racing game.  
Then when you make your next game, maybe it could take you a couple of months longer to make.

I realise if it takes longer then it costs you more money, But if the game was perfect, on Day 1 release, I think you would find you'd make more money.  People would be impressed with it....tell their friends etc. 

But its not perfect.  

I would like to know what sort of racing experience has flashbacks.  I believe one of your team is on video saying that CM dont want to be sim, but they want us to feel like we are in a racing car, in a race.   

You cant have the feeling of immersion if at any point you have the magical abilty to correct a spin/crash. 

You know you don't have to use them if you don't want, right?

But its not perfect.  

You know you don't have to use them if you don't want, right?

yeah I keep telling him that too if you don't want flashbacks turn them off there is an option for doing so. I'll have them turned on personally but set to limited as I don't want to become too over reliant on them