Sign in to follow this  

How do I avoid sliding under braking?

When braking on the approach to a left hairpin, I slid to the right and the back of the car ended up facing towards the turn. I probably braked a bit too late, but I've got anti-lock braking on 5 as I kept sliding under braking when I had it on a lower setting. It has also happened when I've braked in plenty of time and not mashed the trigger, but not very often.

Fortunately there was a decent sized gap for the car to slide into, but when I tried to get back on the stage by doing a J-turn, but got a 14 second penalty for it. The penalty (which seems very harsh) cost me a stage win and championship points. It was near the end of a long stage so I couldn't be bothered to restart.

FYI I'm using a controller.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or need to do differently to stop this happening?

13 minutes ago, WestHam66 said:

When braking on the approach to a left hairpin, I slid to the right and the back of the car ended up facing towards the turn. I probably braked a bit too late, but I've got anti-lock braking on 5 as I kept sliding under braking when I had it on a lower setting. It has also happened when I've braked in plenty of time and not mashed the trigger, but not very often.

Fortunately there was a decent sized gap for the car to slide into, but when I tried to get back on the stage by doing a J-turn, but got a 14 second penalty for it. The penalty (which seems very harsh) cost me a stage win and championship points. It was near the end of a long stage so I couldn't be bothered to restart.

FYI I'm using a controller.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or need to do differently to stop this happening?

You can practice braking control, and you can also adjust the brake balance on the cars. In most cars in the game, the brake balance can be put very far to the front. While you want more braking to be on the front, the game can be a bit excessive in how the defaults setups are in this regard. Practicing braking a bit softer helps a great deal, and even if you adjust the brake balance; I would still recommend practicing this aspect of car control. Try to do your heaviest braking in as straight of a line as possible.

Also, make sure there is no deadzone on the throttle, brake, and steering for whichever controller you use.

3 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

You can practice braking control, and you can also adjust the brake balance on the cars. In most cars in the game, the brake balance can be put very far to the front. While you want more braking to be on the front, the game can be a bit excessive in how the defaults setups are in this regard. Practicing braking a bit softer helps a great deal, and even if you adjust the brake balance; I would still recommend practicing this aspect of car control. Try to do your heaviest braking in as straight of a line as possible.

Also, make sure there is no deadzone on the throttle, brake, and steering for whichever controller you use.

Thanks very much. I usually have the brake bias on 50%, or as close as possible depending on what the setting for specific cars allow.

How much further forward should it be?

6 minutes ago, WestHam66 said:

Thanks very much. I usually have the brake bias on 50%, or as close as possible depending on what the setting for specific cars allow.

How much further forward should it be?

Only a little bit, I have it about 60% at most to the forward of the car. Having it too far to the rear makes it act like a handbrake causing you to risk spinning out. Having it too far forward lifts the weight of the rear, which will also increase the the risk of spinning out. So its all about finding a good balance for you and your driving style. This is why I suggest you still practice braking, regardless of any setup changes you make.

In any racing game, driving ability is always first and formost. Practicing the basics, learning the stages and how the cars handle. It all does far more to help you in the long run.

The key things to do, is to slow down, brake in a longer distence with less brake applied (you dont want to be pinning the brake to 100%, with and without ABS, this just makes it harder to slow down), and steer as smoothly as you can. Especially on tarmac for the latter. You can be more aggressive with steering on dirt/snow/ice, as you often need to unsettle the weight of the car in order to get it around some of the tighter turns as fast and cleanly as possible.

Its going to be a bit hard to really show you in terms of using the controller, since I use a wheel. But I do have some videos on youtube of some of my DR2.0 runs, which most have some form of telemetry added for the past few months. If anything, they will at least show you what I mean in regards to braking.

Hope it helps.

It might also help to lock the break differential a bit more so The car is more stable under breaking and will slide less to the sides.

What helps me in highspeed hard breaking situations is to apply a little bit of throttle while breaking just so the car stays stable on the rearend and doesnt dip down the nose too much and loosing all your traction on the rear which then slides uncontrolled. Its a bit counterintuitive but works a great deal.

Also, consider leaving it in a higher gear than you are, like if you are in 2nd, leave it in 3rd a little longer under braking, that will reduce the amount of engine braking, which will especially help with RWD cars spinning under braking.

Posted (edited)

Brake Bias should usually be around 70%. For Sweden less (further to the rear) and for asphalt more to the front, because the increased traction puts more weight on the front wheels and therefore more traction is possible at the front. (soft suspension favours this effect.)
For almost all cars I reduce the Braking Force by one step. For Sweden even by two steps.
Then it is also well drivable with ABS=1.

Edited by PaulNbg

Posted (edited)

Here might be a misconception. ABS just tries preventing the blocking of the wheels, not the spinning of the car. I would suggest turn off ABS completely, got to the DirtFish Area and try out different approaches and how the car behaves. Too much ABS can actually case a spin, especially if you are turning and braking at the same time (though you should avoid this in general).

Edited by SkyRex