Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little rant! :D

My point, I guess, is about the masters championship in the group A cars. I passed with flying colours in the Integrale, so I figured I'd do it with the Subaru as well... while I did win two out of three, it annoyed me that I lost in Monte with some 20 seconds. I barely held on to second place. Twenty seconds down! How?! I drove the wheels off that Subaru (well not literally but yeah), and I kept losing time. I could only snatch a handful of seconds on the night stages. Am I terrible on snow, tarmac, and ice? Or am I just unlucky? I might add that I didn't make a single mistake. No spins, rolls, or offs of any kind. Maybe the Subaru is that much slower than the Lancia... in which case I dread to do the championship in the Cosworth.

The 2010 cars are a whole different ball game. I can't compete in the masters championship with them - not in Monte. Fifteen seconds average lost per stage, and I feel that I cannot go any quicker. Maybe I'm just bad at driving cars with that much grip... haha. Or, maybe the AI is a little bit too quick. ;)

But I do love this game to bits. It is by far the best rally game I have ever played. And yes, I did my fair share of nerding about in Richard Burns Rally for a number of years... I just have more fun with Dirt Rally. I'll just hide in a corner after posting this...

I will add something about this magnificent (but flawed) implementation of the daily stage though. I'm one of those people that checks what daily it is, do a testrun offline if I'm not familiar with the car, and then go for it - mostly ending up with punctures or accidents but normally I do decent times. Today, however, I learned that there are people that exploits this simply by killing the game and restarting it should they not be pleased with their driving. I find this to be very, very sad - and it is the reason I consider the system flawed.*** I also don't like that one is able to reset their weekly AND monthly events. What is the point of having them there, then? I fail to see the logic. Give people one chance, and one chance only - if they can't keep it on the road, then they need more practice. Like me. It will teach them consistency, too... not just treating every stage like a time trial.

Another thing I don't care much for is the default setup of the MG Metro. Who on earth did this to it? And expect us to do the daily in it? The steering is waaaaaaay too sensitive thanks to those silly differential settings. But now I'm nitpicking. It did cause me a puncture yesterday though.

Sorry for the rant! Like I said... I love the game. My computer is terrible and struggles on medium settings, but I cannot remember the last time I had this much fun.

***Apparently this is not the case, people can't retry it! Yay!

Might not be doing so well on the snow and ice, it seems. I find that the AI is MUCH slower on ice stages and snow than other surfaces. What kind of technique are you using for it? I usually beat the AI quite handily on master in Monte Carlo stages with a lot of snow and ice.

Well on the asphalt I try to slide as little as possible. I give the handbrake a nudge for those very tight hairpins to throw the bum around... otherwise I just do my best to make a little circuit racing out of it.

I use the handbrake a lot more on the snow and ice as I find the car understeering an awful lot, despite setup tweaks... but really I do my best and it just isn't enough in the Subaru. Like I said though, I won all three events without issues in the Lancia HF, so my only explanation is that the Subaru is slower... this is apparent by (personal) stage times as well. That, or I just can't figure out the correct driving technique for it.

I see you at the top of the daily very often. What do you think of the top times? Sometimes P1 is a whopping 20 seconds faster than P2. Would have loved to see a replay of those times.

Hey there bogani! :)

The top times are sometimes well over the top (harrrr), but I do think they're all fully possible given enough practice and shortcuts. I myself am not a fan of some individuals approach to this whole fastest-time-thing, but each to his own I suppose. If I'm on top, I'm happy... but I'm also happy to manage a top ten finish. There are a lot of people competing, after all.

I too would like to see videos of the top times, but I guess the hotlappers are shy...

Hey there bogani! :)

The top times are sometimes well over the top (harrrr), but I do think they're all fully possible given enough practice and shortcuts. I myself am not a fan of some individuals approach to this whole fastest-time-thing, but each to his own I suppose. If I'm on top, I'm happy... but I'm also happy to manage a top ten finish. There are a lot of people competing, after all.

I too would like to see videos of the top times, but I guess the hotlappers are shy...

Practice is one thing but shortcuts is def not ok. I too usually drive through the stage one or two times, mostly to spot the few notes that are trying to kill you ;)

Trevlig kväll :)

Hey!
I saved my replay of the Metro Daily. Unfortunatly the cursor was picked up by Shadowplay (No idea how to fix that). I use the bonnet camera, and full hud. Would you like me to upload that?

ji1 said:
Hey!
I saved my replay of the Metro Daily. Unfortunatly the cursor was picked up by Shadowplay (No idea how to fix that). I use the bonnet camera, and full hud. Would you like me to upload that?
I'd love to see it. Being 20 seconds faster than P2 on some events def catches my attention. Hopefully your'e just extremely quick :)

I use bonnet camera as well... nu HUD however. The Metro Monte daily was a pain. Really too sensitive steering, tiniest input was wildly exaggerated... hit a wall and was immediately rewarded with the PSSSCH noise. Frustrating to say the least.

The RS200 daily went alright today... until the final sector when my mind wandered elsewhere and I flew off the road. Juuuust managed to get back up on it before the timer reached zero... woop, that means I finished!

I use bonnet camera as well... nu HUD however. The Metro Monte daily was a pain. Really too sensitive steering, tiniest input was wildly exaggerated... hit a wall and was immediately rewarded with the PSSSCH noise. Frustrating to say the least.

The RS200 daily went alright today... until the final sector when my mind wandered elsewhere and I flew off the road. Juuuust managed to get back up on it before the timer reached zero... woop, that means I finished!

Just making sure - you are aware of the sensitive steering bug?

Sorry for derailing your thread Porkhammer, if there is a better place I should post this, let me know and I'll delete this, and post it there.

No driver assists and manual sequential shift without clutch. G25, with gear lever as handbrake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptvpg-qCZr4

@bogani, can you explain what you mean about the sensitive steering bug?

ji1 said:
Sorry for derailing your thread Porkhammer, if there is a better place I should post this, let me know and I'll delete this, and post it there.

No driver assists and manual sequential shift without clutch. G25, with gear lever as handbrake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptvpg-qCZr4

@bogani, can you explain what you mean about the sensitive steering bug?
Steering is hyper sensitive around center of the wheel. This is resolved by pressing pause AFTER you accelerate from the start. I have to do this every stage.

Yeah you don't seem to suffer from the steering bug at all jl1! Looks very neat and precise from here!

Maybe the steering bug doesn't affect everyone? I know it can be sorted out with car setup, at least with the Metro... but Codemasters won't let us edit anything for the daily.

EDIT: You're not derailing anything, jl1. Forums are made for discussing stuff! :D

EDIT2: Wow, I didn't know there was a solution to the issue?! Thanks bogani!

It definetly sounds like something I should be noticing, so no, I seem to be amongst the lucky ones I guess! Good to know about it though.

Maybe it just affects ppl who have changed the linearity/saturation in game. My wheel driver is set to 900 and saturation in game 60 or 80%. 60 equals 540 degrees and 80 720 degrees of rotation.

I always feel ashamed when admitting I only use 270 degrees of rotation...
Each to his own ;) I prefer something more realistic :smile: 

Well to be fair, watching rallying onboards one will see that the drivers rarely exceed 300 degrees of rotation on their wheel... in fact I have not seen any proper rally car onboard that turns so much - let alone 900 degrees.

Well to be fair, watching rallying onboards one will see that the drivers rarely exceed 300 degrees of rotation on their wheel... in fact I have not seen any proper rally car onboard that turns so much - let alone 900 degrees.
Modern WRC cars use 540 irl.

Yeah I'm sure - but I just never see it used. So why put in the extra work in getting used to yet another rotation. :D

Yeah I'm sure - but I just never see it used. So why put in the extra work in getting used to yet another rotation. :D
We all use what we feel comfortable with :)

Very true! And I actually spent ten years playing Rally Masters, RBR among others.. with a Logitech Wingman Formula Force GP - 180 degrees max. So... old habits die hard. Getting the G25 - seeing it die, and then getting a G27 changed it all - going to 270 was a big step that I'm still not fully used to.

But hey! I use H-box. ;)

Very true! And I actually spent ten years playing Rally Masters, RBR among others.. with a Logitech Wingman Formula Force GP - 180 degrees max. So... old habits die hard. Getting the G25 - seeing it die, and then getting a G27 changed it all - going to 270 was a big step that I'm still not fully used to.

But hey! I use H-box. ;)

Sadly I only have flappy paddles on my T500 but have been looking towards an h-shifter. Can't decide what to get though.

I've been meaning to invest in a new shifter myself at some point... one that I can switch between sequential and H-pattern in a jiffy. I seriously hate flappy paddles, so you have my sympathy! I've been looking at http://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/shifters/clubsport-shifter-sq-eu.html .. it's really expensive (2400 swedish kronor). But I reckon it is worth saving up for.