Suggestion F1 2020 - Add "frontwing only change "

Add an "frontwing only change" option for F1 2020?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Add an "frontwing only change" - option for F1 2020

• Yes, please!
    • No, thanks!

Posted (edited)

Hello forum,

for F1 2020 it would be great adding an option to the pitstops.
Implement the option of NOT changing the wheel in pit.

Like in real F1 there can be situations a new front wing is needed, but f. e. you´re running the only hard tyre compound.
Right now a driver is forced to change tyres which could be a hugh disadvantage.

Stay healthy folks!

Edited by Far1an
  • Agree 1

More control, and thus variation in the amount of each tire that you can bring to the race would be nice too, then the situation would occur way less often. 
But indeed if you're on the only tire that can make it to the end from where you are and you have to change your wing you SHOULD be able to tell the guys not to make your race even worse... 1 extra pitstop is bad enough please don't have the game FORCE you to make it 2 extra stops. 

• Agree 1

Oh yeah I forgot something 😁

I'm always like this, but I think it's great that you posted this to the forums yourself!

• Haha 1

Changing the tyres takes less time than replacing the frontwing. In 100% or 50% races it might occur that you run out of the desired tyre and don't want them changed, but how often does that occur? I can't recall seing this in real life.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

Changing the tyres takes less time than replacing the frontwing. In 100% or 50% races it might occur that you run out of the desired tyre and don't want them changed, but how often does that occur? I can't recall seing this in real life.

I agree. When you see teams changing wings the tyre change is a free bonus.

What had been asked for previously was a tyre or wing change without coming into the garage in practice and qualifying.

Edited by steviejay69
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

Yeah and exactly in those 50% oder 100% races I had some issues with that. Especially when using hard tyres on specific races.

Would be an easy thing to add, helping out players 🙂

Don’t expect this to be changed for the current game. See if you can add this to the wishlist for 2020. 

8 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

Well that's because, as opposed to real life, we can't choose our own tires. there's just 3 presets that might all not be what you want
(on some tracks the softs don't get used at all and yet we have to drag those heavy expensive tires across the globe just to sit in the box giving us fewer tires to work with overall.)

and it does occur.. especially with the safety car coming out way more often now.
You can easily imagine a situation where you have damage, are on your 1 set of hards, the mediums won't make it. and you have to box for a wing.  (or on your one set of mediums.. the softs won't make it. so you're forced on the hards because you couldn't stay on the ones you were on)

• Agree 1

makes no sense to me at all?!

Nobody, literally nobody would go to the pits only to change the front wing.

1st: Time: duration of a front wing change (7-10 seconds) during that time you can change your tyres anyway (2-3 sec)

2nd: race length? 25% your are ok with softs and mediums anyway and for longer races only Monaco is known in real life to drive as long as possible with one set. Even there you would still change your tyres if you enter the pits.(no matter how "old" your tyres are...1 lap or 50 laps...)

3rd: pre race weekend tyre selection: you can go harder ( i think more mediums are available, im usaully go balanced or softer)

@2Pacalypse read @Bicarda post! It sums up the important.

3rd: There are tracks even if harder tyres chosen, there is still only 1 or 2 sets. Or not enough medium tyres (singapore...)

2nd While running 100% races it can mean the world. After an incidend while having pitted just before...if there is only new set left and you´re driving on it
It would mean change of strategy and mostly an additional pitstop.
Ruining a race twice. 😉

1st: I genually agree, but ... 😄

Posted (edited)

It seems to me that in practice and qualifying there needs to be a "no garage" stop (tyres can't be pre-selected in practice and qualifying they are always changed in the garage), if you have at least two laps of fuel you should be able to pick this option (wings would be changed with tyres depending on wing options auto, on or off).

In qualifying, you still need the "no garage option" and to be able to pre-select tyres.

In the race, everything would be dandy if the tyre options included "keep current set" or "none" with the wing change determined again by the setting (auto, on or off).

The only issue I can see is if the player either forgets to set an option in time and it ruins a session or the game ignores the requests.

Maybe the teams should be a bit more intelligent or the engineer should call "Box" in practice and qualifying when you are less than one lap at the start of Sector 3.

Also the low fuel mode should be discontinued and the car should be retired from the session if it is out of fuel and the session timer is >0:00 (unless it has made the pit lane limiter).

Edited by steviejay69
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, 2Pacalypse said:

makes no sense to me at all?!

Nobody, literally nobody would go to the pits only to change the front wing.

1st: Time: duration of a front wing change (7-10 seconds) during that time you can change your tyres anyway (2-3 sec)

2nd: race length? 25% your are ok with softs and mediums anyway and for longer races only Monaco is known in real life to drive as long as possible with one set. Even there you would still change your tyres if you enter the pits.(no matter how "old" your tyres are...1 lap or 50 laps...)

3rd: pre race weekend tyre selection: you can go harder ( i think more mediums are available, im usaully go balanced or softer)

That's exactly what I meant.

Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2020 at 4:26 PM, 1512marcel said:

That's exactly what I meant.

And then people explained to you how that is wrong. and there ARE situations where it will add 20 seconds to your race time if you switch from the only tires you have that will make it to the end. 
And the problem can and would ideally be fixed in 2 ways. 

1. Give us full control over which tires we bring so the situation occurs less frequently. 
2. Stil give us the option to not change tires if we so desire (Because you can't predict the future and the race might go differently than you thought) 

If changing tires extends your overal race time, (by adding another stop) 
then one would be insane to still do it just because 'changing tires takes shorter than changing wing' 

If there is a safety car for instance, time loss doesn't matter one bit (mostly). what DOES matter is if the game switches you off the tires you want to be on, just because you need to change a wing. 

Edited by Bicarda

18 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

If changing tires extends your overal race time, (by adding another stop) 
then one would be insane to still do it just because 'changing tires takes shorter than changing wing' 

If there is a safety car for instance, time loss doesn't matter one bit (mostly). what DOES matter is if the game switches you off the tires you want to be on, just because you need to change a wing. 

I wonder if this has ever happened in real life.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, UP100 said:

I wonder if this has ever happened in real life.

Lol it happens often enough... In the past they even used to only change the fronts or the rears and leave the other 2 (that's obvs not allowed anymore)
But yes it happens. Just not every race. but that is no reason to then don't give us the option. 

ANd also make this game more like real life then, if you guys want to keep comparing. irl they can OBVIOUSLY do this. 

8 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

Lol it happens often enough... In the past they even used to only change the fronts or the rears and leave the other 2 (that's obvs not allowed anymore)
But yes it happens. Just not every race. but that is no reason to then don't give us the option. 

ANd also make this game more like real life then, if you guys want to keep comparing. irl they can OBVIOUSLY do this. 

I can't recall a pit stop in the 2010s of F1 that would've had a front wing change, but not a tire change, so you could give me an example 😁

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, UP100 said:

I can't recall a pit stop in the 2010s of F1 that would've had a front wing change, but not a tire change, so you could give me an example 😁

Lol. i forgot it all stands or falls with you recalling.

But no i don't know all races and pitstops by  heart in a way that i know THAT RACE had a pitstop where it happened.
It happens. I will look for you today if i can remember one. but i hope you can appreciate that it's hard to remember which pitstop was in what race. 

And in the game it happens a lot more because of the weird tire presets. 

Edited by Bicarda
  • Like 1

I don’t think you will find an example. Have been looking but can’t find any in the last decade. 
However, that’s not the point in this discussion. You can argue about the logic which there is not 😜, but the request is to open up the tire choice which is logical and the option to only change the front wing and not the tires. I would agree to the first option but don’t see any need for the second option. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, 1512marcel said:

I don’t think you will find an example. Have been looking but can’t find any in the last decade. 
However, that’s not the point in this discussion. You can argue about the logic which there is not 😜, but the request is to open up the tire choice which is logical and the option to only change the front wing and not the tires. I would agree to the first option but don’t see any need for the second option. 

Then you don't play the game enough to get in the situation but everybody who does a lot of league races eventually gets in the situation where they get bend over by this oversight in the game. 
And that you can't find it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. i'm sure it has happened. Your denial of the issue is more pointless. 

It gets half solved with opening up the tire choices. but then STILL, as one can't predict the future. we need the option to not change tires still because however well you think you can predict what tires you might need, there will be situations you can't prepare for. 

It’s not for me to decide if they put up the option in next game, mate, I’m just giving my opinion on real life situation. Not denying it. As you stated, I’m not playing leagues nor online. And you are right, me not being able to recall or find any actual footage doesn’t mean it never happened. I just don’t suspect CM to implement a feature that occurred once or twice in the last 20 years, if it did at all which I still doubt.  I’m all for realism but it needs a foundation. 

18 hours ago, Bicarda said:

And then people explained to you how that is wrong. and there ARE situations where it will add 20 seconds to your race time if you switch from the only tires you have that will make it to the end. 

that is not true my friend!

you wrote so many things but you couldnt give us one example!!!! Ill give you the second one now the first was when I talked about Monaco....

last race in online lobby 25% 18laps: started with medium in Canada. After the first lap i had to pit because of front wing damage, changed of course the tires to soft, so what? I finished with these old 17 laps types!!! (if you do it in 50% race it would be 34 laps on soft and 68 laps in a 100% race....that would be crazy of course and nobody would do it)

it depends on you how you drive and how you manage your tyres! a race (x%) is not x amount of hot qualifying laps! Remember that!!!!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

If you knock the wing off on the 1st or 2nd lap on a set of hards you are going to have a hard time making mediums work in a 50% race without auto random flats being an issue.  Also if you are on a medium strategy and you clunk on the first lap or 2 you could possibly be forced off of fresher mediums for more worn mediums.

But the real outlier is the hard strategy and if you clunk the wing off in that first 2 maybe 3 laps.  You only have one set of the hards, and I definitely would prefer to keep my hards and eat the pit road delta instead of risk a flat, huge drop off in pace, or adding 2 additional stops (instead of just 1 additional) with a switch to mediums.

Relatable to real life or not doesn't really matter; this is a real situation created by the game play and systems in certain length races.  And it could happen in real life under perfect circumstance even if it hasn't yet. (May see guys more willing to chance extending medium in real life by 1-2 laps because "auto-random" punctures aren't a thing, though running them to the cords is).

• Agree 1