Suggestion F1 2020 - Add "frontwing only change "

Add an "frontwing only change" option for F1 2020?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Add an "frontwing only change" - option for F1 2020

• Yes, please!
    • No, thanks!

if you go to the pits in the 1st or 2nd lap with front wing damage and not changing your tyres like all of you suggested, guess what?! you will still have a pit stop during that race to have 2 different compounds (F1 rule!!!) and thats not an additional stop!!!

This topic is non sense....

20 minutes ago, 2Pacalypse said:

if you go to the pits in the 1st or 2nd lap with front wing damage and not changing your tyres like all of you suggested, guess what?! you will still have a pit stop during that race to have 2 different compounds (F1 rule!!!) and thats not an additional stop!!!

This topic is non sense....

I don't think this is the potential problem that could happen. Technically you could go to pits so many times that you'd not want to change tires as there are only worn tires left after all 

31 minutes ago, UP100 said:

I don't think this is the potential problem that could happen. Technically you could go to pits so many times that you'd not want to change tires as there are only worn tires left after all 

technically if you would do that, then I would suggest to turn of the damage.

• Haha 2

I don't hang around here much until I pick up news of the upcoming game somewhere (that is probably not very uncommon) but I play an absolutely ungodly amount of career mode, season after season, 100% race after 100% race, and it has happened to me a grand total of one time that I only had used tires remaining, was driving on the only set that would get me to the end and my front wing got damaged so much that I would've lost more time carrying on like that than replacing it during a stop... except I ended up having to stop twice because I got put on tires that wouldn't get me to the end.

I believe that was F1 2017, the only time that it happened to me, but I remember the frustration in that moment well enough, which resulted in my yes-vote here. :classic_mellow:

13 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

Your being cynical right?

Probably not. 

It's about the game being able to respond as a strategist might. You do get the strategy suggestion (usually mid-race if you have had some unscheduled stop or you run longer than recommended on one of the compounds) but the game sticks rigidly to a pre-determined strategy (unless you input a change of call as the driver). If you go beyond your scheduled stops it just cycles through your "least worn" tyres really, regardless of compound.

As someone who often tries 1 stop strategies, yes it is really rather dependent upon you surviving T1, Lap 1 and then generally as much of that first stint as humanly possible, and then getting a clean run avoiding traffic to get a good time advantage or make positions.

I think the game is almost fine as it is (WRT pitstops) but the addition of a 'keep' or 'stay' on current compounds should be a selectable call. We have the wing damage settable to Yes/No/Auto. so tyres Yes (selection) / No (keep) / Auto (to strat or least worn set) would be enough.

And give us the tyre selection option in the car in P and Q. If there is sufficient fuel for 2 laps with saving we should be able to override garage stops with hot stops.

I follow you, but most of these options already exist (driver call or selection) and the OP's question is about only changing the frontwing and not the tyres, which and I qoute @Tway only happened once in an insane number of 100% races. Me for one questions if this ever happened in real life and see no point adding such an option.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, 1512marcel said:

I follow you, but most of these options already exist (driver call or selection) and the OP's question is about only changing the frontwing and not the tyres, which and I qoute @Tway only happened once in an insane number of 100% races. Me for one questions if this ever happened in real life and see no point adding such an option.

McLaren ran long in the Honda years (until Alonso insisted on going banzai on options at the start to race and lose places before retiring or being told to retire the car, or getting banged because he was trying to race with sub-standard equipment) so I would think the probability is high on those races and latterly the Williams being in a similar position at the back.

But both teams would take more hard tyre compounds and then have the spare sets to replace them in most permutations. But that doesn't happen when you take the balanced tyre choices on the tracks that use mainly soft and mediums (or the relative compounds when they were differently named).

So I agree, not many IRL representations of the situation being replicated, but the game throws it up as deliberately picking too hard a set of compounds gains nothing when car performance is equal (you don't want to stop unnecessarily, you don't expect to try to lose performance).

Edited by steviejay69

Not cynical. I would not have made a thread like this because it has only happened to me that one time, and I've gotten over it, but as @steviejay69 points out there is an obvious place to add in such an option, and while it only happened to me once, this thread wouldn't exist if it hadn't also happened to other people, so it seems to me like we're talking about a small adjustment that would solve a fairly rare occurrence of a lot of frustration.

You won't see me throwing a hissy fit if they don't/never add this option, but if there's a low-effort way of preventing frustration, even if rare, then it sounds like a good idea to me.

• Agree 1

On 3/30/2020 at 8:45 AM, 2Pacalypse said:

that is not true my friend!

you wrote so many things but you couldnt give us one example!!!! Ill give you the second one now the first was when I talked about Monaco....

last race in online lobby 25% 18laps: started with medium in Canada. After the first lap i had to pit because of front wing damage, changed of course the tires to soft, so what? I finished with these old 17 laps types!!! (if you do it in 50% race it would be 34 laps on soft and 68 laps in a 100% race....that would be crazy of course and nobody would do it)

it depends on you how you drive and how you manage your tyres! a race (x%) is not x amount of hot qualifying laps! Remember that!!!!

🤓

On 3/25/2020 at 7:44 PM, Bicarda said:

You can easily imagine a situation where you have damage, are on your 1 set of hards, the mediums won't make it. and you have to box for a wing.  (or on your one set of mediums.. the softs won't make it. so you're forced on the hards because you couldn't stay on the ones you were on)

That's an example for you right there.  On tracks where the strategy is M-H in a 50% race, if you pitted for hards, then get damage shortly after, and the mediums can't comfortably make it to the end yet so the tires you are on are THE BEST TIRES YOU HAVE, so why change then to worse tires i ask you?

• Thanks 1

The poll speaks for itself, however. I can imagine this being a non-issue of you casually do a few 5 lap crash fests but like I said. do a few league races and you run into this huge oversight in the game. 

12 hours ago, Bicarda said:

On tracks where the strategy is M-H in a 50% race, if you pitted for hards, then get damage shortly after, and the mediums can't comfortably make it to the end yet so the tires you are on are THE BEST TIRES YOU HAVE, so why change then to worse tires i ask you?

what does it mean "comfortably" for you? 10 % tyre wear or what?! you can easily go till 50-60% wear without loosing much time on track, (like i said before: manage your tyres)

If you already pitted for the hard tyres, that means you already finished 35-40% of the race length, so the next longer stint would be with your hard tyres. But guess what genius the second stint is maybe longer but your car is lighter! so your tyre wear is smaller....thats why you can switch your tyres  with the front wing damage.

But to be fair: more options in game is more freedom and variety in races! Ill give you that!

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, 2Pacalypse said:

what does it mean "comfortably" for you? 10 % tyre wear or what?! you can easily go till 50-60% wear without loosing much time on track, (like i said before: manage your tyres)

If you already pitted for the hard tyres, that means you already finished 35-40% of the race length, so the next longer stint would be with your hard tyres. But guess what genius the second stint is maybe longer but your car is lighter! so your tyre wear is smaller....thats why you can switch your tyres  with the front wing damage.

But to be fair: more options in game is more freedom and variety in races! Ill give you that!

Saving tires being possible it is still madness to have to go on worse tires than you're already on. no one said it would be impossible to finish the race on the other tires. You can have all the luck in the world and finish with 90% tires. 
but HAVING to switch to tires that are worse than the ones that you are on (for the stint you are having to do) is just bad game design. however scarce the occasions might be. 

Edited by Bicarda