Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Mechanical failure

Hi all,

so I am in my third season now, but I never faced a mechanical issue. Can "we" get engine blow ups or something like this as well? Or just the AI?

The only thing I had was once that the gearbox lost a gear.

Seems like as soon as you develop the yellow string in your F&E this never can happen right?

Thanks for feedback

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

You can't get a random engine blow up unfortunately. Only AI so far.

A component will blow up only if that component is 100% worn. (You might notice a loss of power entering 65% worn components)

We've been asking for random failures for years now. 

• Agree 1

seriously? ..... Geoff Crammonds GP2 had engine failures already 😛 well ok I just thought I am lucky, then this is a big minus point now for F1 2019

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I'm really hoping for random failures to come in the next game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zon1bzh said:

I'm really hoping for random failures to come in the next game.

As long as it's entirely optional then yes I agree. Probably best to wait until the game has see a few patches though!

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, svensenk86 said:

seriously? ..... Geoff Crammonds GP2 had engine failures already 😛 well ok I just thought I am lucky, then this is a big minus point now for F1 2019

man these were good old days...

100% Race after 1,5 hour of racing suddenly you get an electronic, engine or gearbox failure in the last lap and your race is over....damn that was hard but really appriciated the race finish.

Sometimes you could save it and go to the pits....

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I guess that would be on of the biggest gaming comebacks, GP5 😉

But that was a failure which I "acknowledge" if the car lets you down you can do nothing and the race is over, hard to get but it is just an engine which can fail. better than an AI driver who you overlap and in the middle of a fast corner he hits the brakes big time to let you through and you crash into his rear because that would have been the worst position he let you through...(just happened to me in Austria, final corner 2 laps before end of race, I was leading)....there I use the flashback function then as no real driver would have done that....if the engine would have failed, ok so be it, happens in reality as well.

Further I don`t get why AI has it and player not @BarryBL is there a statement why it is like this???

• Agree 1

I fully agree with you all. Please bring back the random engine/mechanical failures. It shouldn't be that hard to implement.

• Agree 2

If you played the old Microprose or Papyrus games, you'll understand just how big of a deal this is.

We desperately need old an school SIM racer to join Codemasters

• Agree 2

Codies should let things happen. Cars should have random problems and failures and we should be able to drive to the pits, without that stupid, arcadeish adrenaline breaker slowmo screen that appears when a terminal damage occurs.

• Agree 1

Yep this is something that I really can't understand why it isn't already in the game. The reason given years ago was that it would frustrate players... Can easily be tuned for all players with an option of On/AI only/Off though.

It makes winning a championship very easy when your car is indestructible but your rivals drop out of 3-4 races. 

Personally at the moment, I sometimes do a dice roll before a race to choose which engine parts to use to make up for it and if they're nearly broken..so be it, theres my random failure for the season. Still anti climactic though as I'll probably know beforehand whether I'm finishing or not.

Also fully agree with MrHawk. That god awful slowmo after terminal damage needs to go! Hated that since 2010.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 5

Couldn't agree more with all of you. Been wanting it for so long that at this point it is a huge factor if i'm going to buy F1 2020

The only mechanical failure that I had is gearbox with 80% wear and gear changes are delayed. I had this in 4th round (at Baku) with Williams

We need to keep bumping this thread until it gets the attention it deserves.

I still have a virtual drive mounted just to play the old games for this very reason.

• Agree 3

We do need engine failures. I only play championship season and would like to see failures implemented, maybe 2/3 across the season

Yes I agree too. You just want to have that in depth career or my team mode you need that. I get the odd one when you start a session but you lose 5 minutes or 2 minutes it’s just not the same

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Liaveil said:

Yep this is something that I really can't understand why it isn't already in the game. The reason given years ago was that it would frustrate players... Can easily be tuned for all players with an option of On/AI only/Off though.

It makes winning a championship very easy when your car is indestructible but your rivals drop out of 3-4 races. 

Personally at the moment, I sometimes do a dice roll before a race to choose which engine parts to use to make up for it and if they're nearly broken..so be it, theres my random failure for the season. Still anti climactic though as I'll probably know beforehand whether I'm finishing or not.

Also fully agree with MrHawk. That god awful slowmo after terminal damage needs to go! Hated that since 2010.

This bit I fully agree with. Either random failures are on for every car on the grid (AI and human) or they're not. Having your rivals in career mode suffer failures but not you  kills the competition in my opinion.

The possibility should be determined on a scale. The more worn a part is, the higher the chance of it happening. So while at 0% wear, a failure is highly unlikely (but still possible) whereas 80%+ it's just a matter of time.

This would put more emphasis on looking after your car and investing in durability upgrades.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I remember ages ago the person who was Barry before Barry said that they didn't include player mechanical dnf's because it could be frustrating for players wasting their time.  Which was a massive cop out answer at the time because you can just do an on/off switch.

• Agree 2

I agree it should be an option, maybe it's a three level option

Mechanical failures:

*  AI and player

* AI only

* Off

To me it only really makes sense to be an option in career/my team, as the player has control over durability and car wear, but I don't see why it couldn't be used in Grand Prix mode if the player wants.

I agree it should stay out of Online (including leagues) as the player has no control which would be infuriating for random failures.

• Agree 6

I'd love to see this implemented. I've seen it on developer discussions before when they said it's not fun to have random failures which is why it wasn't added in. It definitely needs to be optional and agree that it's not necessarily fun but to have highs you need to have lows for balance!

• Agree 2

Completely agree with you it's annoying to always be in front of others when others give up!  random mechanical breakdowns will make the game more attractive!  Leclerc in Bahrain.  We all want Clea, right?  sorry for understanding i use a translat

On 6/15/2020 at 2:57 PM, TheCroc84 said:

I remember ages ago the person who was Barry before Barry said that they didn't include player mechanical dnf's because it could be frustrating for players wasting their time.  Which was a massive cop out answer at the time because you can just do an on/off switch.

That was also spoken about by the infamous Steve Hood. His decision were very strange at times. 

• Agree 1

So do we have it in F1 2020 finally? Good to see that we are all on one side here 😎

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2020 at 3:57 PM, TheCroc84 said:

I can relate to that. What is the reaction of most drivers when their engine fails? They get frustrated. People are strange beings, sometimes they want something so badly and when they finally get it it's meh. The problem with mechanical failures in video games is that it's not real and the player knows it. It would be random and from what I read about rain in the game on this forum some people will get screwed over and over. I read about F1 2019 that some people had rain on almost every circuit. I probably had one rainy race in mu first season. What if your engine breaks down almost every race? Is Codemasters screwing with you because of the nasty comment you made on their forum?  :classic_tongue:

But the big question: would you accept an engine failure on the last lap in Brazil that makes you loose the championship? I think real drivers have a hard time with that and will say life sucks. That life is our video game. I actually can't imagine someone in that scenario getting al excited and cheering that his engine blew up and he now lost the championship and thinks this is the best game ever. :classic_biggrin:

And yes a switch would be nice but is it worth the amount of hours spend on the feature? I'm no coder so I don't know how easy it is to implement randomness, but if rain is already hard to get right I guess mechanical failures is harder to simulate. So is it worth the time implementing it when maybe only 3% leaves the with on?

That said I would not be surprised to see mechanical failures in F1 2020 as it fits the My Team narrative very well.

Edited by BelgiumDude
  • Disagree 2