DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Half-Life Alyx and Dirt rally 2 vr

Now that many more are getting vr headsett because of half life Alyx, maybe its time to fix vr support for dirt rally 2.

We vr owners have reported bugs since vr realese and they have been ignored to the point i`m not recomending my friends to buy this game.

Crushed blacked, poor rain effeckts, unreadeble stage time and posion while driving and horrible wheel and wiper fps. On top of that, i STILL dont have sound on the oculus version.

I dont have any issues with the rain in VR, i have no issues with the wipers or wheel in vr also. I told you on the steam forums how to get audio on the oculus store version of the game. It does need fixing, but there is a work around. Run the game in windowed mode to be able to read the time and posistion, as it is squished when the game is run in fullscreen mode.

Only issue i have is with the colour banding, and thats only an issue on night stages, but this one does need fixing asap as it can be game breaking on some stages.

Good for you that you dont have issius with lower fps animations, but I do. ( https://steamcommunity.com/app/690790/discussions/0/1631916887499075972/ )    If a thing needs a workaround its broken, and needs fixing!
I have tried running the game in windoed mode, and it worked for a while, but after a patch it went back to beeing really small again. And I have ofcourse tried different things to fix it again.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, kellemann said:

If a thing needs a workaround its broken, and needs fixing!

I didnt say it didnt need fixing, I just told you how to get it working in the mean time.

20 minutes ago, kellemann said:

I have tried running the game in windoed mode, and it worked for a while, but after a patch it went back to beeing really small again. And I have ofcourse tried different things to fix it again.

The only thing you need to do in order to fix the UI elements, is to force the game into windowed mode again by editing the games "hardware_settings_config_vr.xml", and changing "fullscreen" from "1" to "0".

The reason why the animations tend to look bad for a lot of people, is that they run the game with all the graphical bells and wistles; which forces the Oculus Rift into ASW mode (45fps). This makes the animations lag, and it also makes the rain look terrible. I have made sure my game runs at a solid 90fps, and I force ASW off completely so that it cant turn on at all. So even if there are any drops in FPS for any reason, it becomes a total non issue as ASW isnt turning on because of it.

There are solutions for most of the issues with VR, but people would rather just complain instead of asking for help and advice. Im not saying things shouldnt be improved, especially in regards to the colour banding issues on the Oculus Rift side of things; which does ruin night stages on the Oculus Rift (its almost game breaking this one). Something I have asked @PJTierney about myself, to see if anything is getting done about it. I am just saying there are things you can do in the meantime that improves the situation greatly. All it takes is asking for help, and doing some google searches.

Edited by Ialyrn

People should complain when they buy something brand new and its broken. If not, why fix it? 

I run the game on medium with low shadow and spectators at a solid 80 fps (Rift s and a rtx 2080) so please dont give me that bs.

All i was saying is that many new headset are beeing sold, and i know many people wont recomend a game they have to fix themself to get it working.

And another thing is the double picture on the monitor, again i know there is a workaround so you are happy, but i am not.

I've post some VR issues lot of times... And nothing had fixed. And many of them I think are easy to fix it.

But I have got used to drive with all them. Worse for me is colour banding and rain effects. I can't drive in night or rainy levels as I would like. And every time I start a stage I change gamma level depending of weather and time.

What kind of things must do VR players in this life!!

About ASW, I prefer to enable it (never Auto) in this game and grow up supersampling and rendering options.

Regards...