Sign in to follow this  

Formula 1 Grand Prix De Monaco 2014

I don't see how Hamilton 'lost his head'. ... could have indeed jumped him if the team had called him in a lap earlier
Have to disagree here. If the team had indeed decided that pitting was the best option, they'd have brought Nico in as well. Lead driver gets the call.

yugin96 said:
I don't see how Hamilton 'lost his head'. ... could have indeed jumped him if the team had called him in a lap earlier
Have to disagree here. If the team had indeed decided that pitting was the best option, they'd have brought Nico in as well. Lead driver gets the call.
Very true. Wonder what would have happened had Hamilton just driven into the pits anyway? :p

From Hamilton's comments about the team having one strategist compared to the 2 that McLaren have, it'd make the season more interesting for Merc to give each driver their own strategist.

To be fair, it was Nico's from T1, and Hamilton's job to do something about it, because as Yugin says, Rosberg had first call on the stops. Obviously Lewis didn't do a good enough job to pass him, not being helped by the fact it was Monaco. Congrats to Nico, even if his pole was a bit shady...

yugin96 said:
Very true. Wonder what would have happened had Hamilton just driven into the pits anyway? :p

From Hamilton's comments about the team having one strategist compared to the 2 that McLaren have, it'd make the season more interesting for Merc to give each driver their own strategist.
Totinator said that they wouldn't have served him.

Alright race, Nico shouldn't have been on pole anyway so it was a harsh win. The Australia DNF is starting to hurt Lewis now though.

VetteIfan said:
Half decent race. Annoyed Vettel retired, as at least 3rd would've been a near certainty after his great start, but whatever. 6 mechanical issues for the RB and Vettel has encountered all 6 of them, I get the feeling something just isn't meant to be this year.

On the upside, Hamilton was hilarious today. I thought he'd turned a corner after last year but after seeing today if that's all it's going to take for him to lose his head this year perhaps Rosberg has a better chance at this title than even I thought. Mega job from Bianchi as has been mentioned, bad luck once again for JEV and Raikkonen. 
Karma's a bitch. He's retired like twice in the last 3 years. Your lucky he's getting the bad luck when he doesn't have a chance at winning the WDC.
Did you even watch 2010 and 2012? Problems nearly cost him both years. How is karma a bitch, did Vettel do something wrong? 

fIsince08 said:
yugin96 said:

Totinator said that they wouldn't have served him.

Alright race, Nico shouldn't have been on pole anyway so it was a harsh win. The Australia DNF is starting to hurt Lewis now though.
I'm assuming that's because the team wouldn't have been ready with the tyres and all?

AMS97KRR said:
VetteIfan said:
Half decent race. Annoyed Vettel retired, as at least 3rd would've been a near certainty after his great start, but whatever. 6 mechanical issues for the RB and Vettel has encountered all 6 of them, I get the feeling something just isn't meant to be this year.

On the upside, Hamilton was hilarious today. I thought he'd turned a corner after last year but after seeing today if that's all it's going to take for him to lose his head this year perhaps Rosberg has a better chance at this title than even I thought. Mega job from Bianchi as has been mentioned, bad luck once again for JEV and Raikkonen. 
Karma's a bitch. He's retired like twice in the last 3 years. Your lucky he's getting the bad luck when he doesn't have a chance at winning the WDC.
Did you even watch 2010 and 2012? Problems nearly cost him both years. How is karma a bitch, did Vettel do something wrong? 
Yes, he won too much ;) :p

fIsince08 said:
AMS97KRR said:
VetteIfan said:

Yes, he won too much ;) :p
Lol. 

I don't see how Hamilton 'lost his head'. He was within a second of Rosberg for the majority of the race, could have indeed jumped him if the team had called him in a lap earlier, and only lost time because he had something in his eye. 
No losing of the head involved in any of that.

Also, I laughed at Vettel's problems :p
Pitting before the SC came out would actually be a disadvantage. Think about it. The pit lane loss is the same whether there is a safety car or not, because the speed limiter is the same no matter what. The speed on track isn't though. If Hamilton had pitted a lap earlier Rosberg would be flying round at full pace while he did so. But under the safety car, Rosberg would be pitting while Hamilton would have to stick to the safety car limits, hence losing time. 

Australia 2012 was a good example of it in effect. Hamilton pitted a lap before a safety car came out with Vettel in 3rd. When the safety car came out and Vettel pitted, he gained the place because Hamilton was force to cruise round at the safety car's speed limits. It's just common sense and commentators never seem to spot it for some reason. 

Anyway, on him losing his head I was referring to his radio after the pit stop. Thinking the team are conspiring against him after one call goes against against him (although as I mention above, would've actually made no difference). 

VetteIfan said:

Regarding anything involving Vettel's so called "brilliant luck" over the past few years, read this: 

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/groups/f1/forum/topic/vettel-webber-and-reliability-at-red-bull/

Looking at it, Button pitted on the lap Lewis wanted to. He went in 9th and after the S.C. period was 9th. Still behind Hulkenberg. The only thing that changed was Massa jumped him and Kimi lost out. So if there were no gains for Jenson, would there have been for Lewis?

Lewis really needs to stop complaining, otherwise I'm going to start supporting Rosberg...

VetteIfan said:
I don't see how Hamilton 'lost his head'. He was within a second of Rosberg for the majority of the race, could have indeed jumped him if the team had called him in a lap earlier, and only lost time because he had something in his eye. 
No losing of the head involved in any of that.

Also, I laughed at Vettel's problems :p
Pitting before the SC came out would actually be a disadvantage. Think about it. The pit lane loss is the same whether there is a safety car or not, because the speed limiter is the same no matter what. The speed on track isn't though. If Hamilton had pitted a lap earlier Rosberg would be flying round at full pace while he did so. But under the safety car, Rosberg would be pitting while Hamilton would have to stick to the safety car limits, hence losing time. 

Australia 2012 was a good example of it in effect. Hamilton pitted a lap before a safety car came out with Vettel in 3rd. When the safety car came out and Vettel pitted, he gained the place because Hamilton was force to cruise round at the safety car's speed limits. It's just common sense and commentators never seem to spot it for some reason. 

Anyway, on him losing his head I was referring to his radio after the pit stop. Thinking the team are conspiring against him after one call goes against against him (although as I mention above, would've actually made no difference). 

The reason I'm thinking it might have worked, is that the safety car board didn't come out until they were halfway round the next lap. But as Tommig says about Button, I guess it wouldn't actually have given him an advantage. Ah well, would have been interesting if they had at least tried it! :)

As for the radio call, I still wouldn't call that losing his head. Frustration and a little anger, definitely, but I think there's a handful of drivers on the grid that probably would have reacted the same. Vettel being one, his angry radio messages were amazing :p

VetteIfan said:
VetteIfan said:

Regarding anything involving Vettel's so called "brilliant luck" over the past few years, read this: 

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/groups/f1/forum/topic/vettel-webber-and-reliability-at-red-bull/
Yowza. That's a crazy long list for Red Bull as a whole.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/9325650/lewis-hamilton-denies-being-friends-with-nico-rosberg-as-gloves-come-off-at-mercedes

Hamilton will sulk himself out of the WDC at this rate.

Its fairly obvious they're not friends. The whole time everyone has been saying they won't be friends because of fighting for the WDC so its no surprise Hamilton said that. Its about time they stopped trying to pretend to be happy, cuddly mates.

AMS97KRR said:
VetteIfan said:

Calm down man , I'm just saying Vettel is better off having a lot of bad luck in a season like this than in a season where he can fight for the championship. And I purposely said the last 3 years because I knew he had a lot of unreliability in 2010. As for 2012 , the only time I remember him retiring was at Valencia.

So Bianchi has double the points of Maldonado. Does Pastor still think moving to Lotus was the best decision he's ever made?

2/0 != 1... Technically, Bianchi has infinite times more points than Maldonado! All we need now is points for Chilton! 

Does anyone see Sauber getting 9th back? Not without some luck, IMO, their driver line-up is appalling!

Also, these titles are quite funny...

Rosberg - "We're always friends"

Hamilton - "We're not friends"

Game on! Rosberg in the driving seat!

So Bianchi has double the points of Maldonado. Does Pastor still think moving to Lotus was the best decision he's ever made?

2/0 != 1... Technically, Bianchi has infinite times more points than Maldonado! All we need now is points for Chilton! 

Does anyone see Sauber getting 9th back? Not without some luck, IMO, their driver line-up is appalling!

Chilton doesn't need points, the fact that he's finished every F1 race he's done makes him better than Maldonado :p 

Chilton doesn't need points, the fact that he's finished every F1 race he's done makes him better than Maldonado :p 
excellent point :p

Good race from Kimi until the puncture. Ferrari didn't inform Kimi that lapped cars will overtake. 

I think Nico deserved the victory, good drive from Jules.
Edited by TheEqualTester

One thing I would like to ask... These penalties for being out of position at the start. Surely that's what aborted starts are for?

AMS97KRR said:
VetteIfan said:

Calm down man , I'm just saying Vettel is better off having a lot of bad luck in a season like this than in a season where he can fight for the championship. And I purposely said the last 3 years because I knew he had a lot of unreliability in 2010. As for 2012 , the only time I remember him retiring was at Valencia.
Vettelfans article explains my point of view.

That Chilton-Raikkonen incident is a joke. Raikkonen robbed of 3rd because of a Marussia...Both of my favorite drivers robbed of a potential podium.

The only positives from that race for me was Hulkenbergs 5th, Grosjean getting 8th and Ericsson finishing 11th for Caterham.