Final DR2.0 thoughts

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2020 at 11:54 AM, Johnnnn said:

Yeah, something strange is there. I am still not sure what but I don't like Spain to play. I played tarmac racing for last two years and I am not able to enjoy Spain. On a controller it feels like you need to hear everything but when you are too fast, you are instantly out of track because "warning" came to late. Or maybe it's partly not perfect (not sensitive enough) gas control but I am not sure.

Driving on tarmac with a controller can be a pain if your inputs are too aggressive. I have to turn down the front and rear ride heights to the lowest just to avoid the back of the car fishtailing, but this can still happen without taking care.

Germany and Monte Carlo were two of my favourites locations on DR and I've not bothered buying them on DR2 because I don't want to have to deal with the dodgy physics.

I'd be happy to be told that the problems with Spain don't exist on Germany and Monte Carol though!

Edited by WestHam66

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, WestHam66 said:

Driving on tarmac with a controller can be a pain if your inputs are too aggressive. I have to turn down the front and rear ride heights to the lowest just to avoid the back of the car fishtailing, but this can still happen without taking care.

Germany and Monte Carlo were two of my favourites locations on DR and I've not bothered buying them on DR2 because I don't want to have to deal with the dodgy physics.

I'd be happy to be told that the problems with Spain don't exist on Germany and Monte Carol though!

Well, they are much better than Spain in my opinion. In Germany it's much easier to tune the car to your liking, and the rougher terrain makes the handling more believable. Monte is run mainly on snow tyres, and transitions between tarmac and snow/ice are really awesome, much better than in DR1. I'd at least check out Monte Carlo if I were you.

Mind that I drive with a wheel, don't know about the controller...

Edited by danielofifi
  • Agree 1

You can't prevent drifting, because normal steering already leads to it, but within the drift you have a lot of grip. It's actually, as many people say, tarmac physics is like on gravel with more grip.

In rallycross the physics on tarmac is more realistic and also different from gravel. Long drifts on tarmac make you slower and you can avoid them quite well.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
My thoughts on the game, i know i get hate on my neck about this.

Car list is varied and good (excluding current WRC-cars).
The sounds are great, only the sounds on the road surface could have done a better job, I would have liked to hear more of the crackling of the stones, etc. Graphics are also great.

Sometimes playing is quite enjoyable ( on a wet road with hard tires), but there are still too many things I just don’t like:

-Replay's viewing angles are poor compared to Dirt Rally 1.
-Something was done to the driving model in the 1.04 update, driving became easier and boring, lateral grip was added too much. You can drive supernaturally fast, without fear of crashing. 
You can drive jumps to flat out etc.
-The FFB is still miserable.
-There are still a lot of bugs in the game.
-I don't even say anything about Race Net

... almost forget, funding with old Dirt Rally 1 content.

We are still waiting for a rally simulator that could challenge RBR.

Edited by J89

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, J89 said:
-Something was done to the driving model in the 1.04 update, driving became easier and boring, lateral grip was added too much. You can drive supernaturally fast, without fear of crashing. You can drive jumps to flat out etc.

source.gif

you're (still) the only one that thinks this. it's much more likely that you got better or that you changed your traction/stability control settings and forgot, or both. (or you're just wrong.) you have never provided any video evidence showing any difference whatsoever, and neither has anyone else.

Edited by ianism
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, ianism said:

you're (still) the only one that thinks this. it's much more likely that you got better or that you changed your traction/stability control settings and forgot, or both. (or you're just wrong.) you have never provided any video evidence showing any difference whatsoever, and neither has anyone else.

Try the game without updates, you will notice the difference clearly. The car slides more and it is harder to drive.

9 hours ago, J89 said:

Try the game without updates, you will notice the difference clearly. The car slides more and it is harder to drive.

They changed the force feedback behavior in an update but not car physics, they even specifically noted that they did so.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, J89 said:

I (and many, many others) have put hundreds of hours into this game, both before and after that update. I didn't experience a mite of difference. neither did anyone else. I don't play with a wheel, so FFB is not influencing my perception.

you are the one proposing something outrageous, unannounced and highly unlikely, so the burden of evidence is on you: if I suggested that (for example) rear-wheel drive cars now drive with the front wheels in the game, it would be my responsibility to prove that with evidence. the same goes for you.

prove it or shut up about this

Edited by ianism

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, ianism said:

I (and many, many others) have put hundreds of hours into this game, both before and after that update. I didn't experience a mite of difference. neither did anyone else. I don't play with a wheel, so FFB is not influencing my perception.

you are the one proposing something outrageous, unannounced and highly unlikely, so the burden of evidence is on you: if I suggested that (for example) rear-wheel drive cars now drive with the front wheels in the game, it would be my responsibility to prove that with evidence. the same goes for you.

prove it or shut up about this

I’m just saying try it, you’ll immediately notice the difference. When playing without updates, the cars have less lateral grip.

What is outrageous in my argument? : DD

Edited by J89

35 minutes ago, Jake Cushing said:

Don't worry, I'm not going to go any further.

Ianism just can’t get over the fact, that I feel someone has changed.
He always grabs that :D

On 4/28/2020 at 10:22 AM, J89 said:

I’m just saying try it, you’ll immediately notice the difference. When playing without updates, the cars have less lateral grip.

What is outrageous in my argument? : DD

it's outrageous because hundreds of other players have played this game before and after the update, many of them have played more than you have and are better than you at the game. nobody else thinks there is a difference, there are hundreds of hours of youtube videos showing people driving in the game before and after this update and there is no difference. yet you are certain that everyone is wrong except you and you have no evidence whatsoever. that is outrageous.

On 4/28/2020 at 12:25 PM, J89 said:

Ianism just can’t get over the fact, that I feel someone has changed. He always grabs that 😄

because it's obvious that you just changed input settings or traction/stability control and forgot. and instead of checking those you just assumed they modified the game without saying anything and thousands of other players didn't notice. that's kinda stupid 😉

• Agree 1

On 4/27/2020 at 8:07 PM, J89 said:

-Something was done to the driving model in the 1.04 update, driving became easier and boring, lateral grip was added too much. You can drive supernaturally fast, without fear of crashing. You can drive jumps to flat out etc.

What's with the number 1.04 in Codemasters games? Some people say how 1.04 made F1 2019 "more arcade" as well! 😁

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2020 at 7:43 PM, WestHam66 said:

Seriously: Get Monte and Germany. You won't regret it. They are both magnificent, and feel really different to Spain. I couldn't imagine the game without these two.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2020 at 8:08 AM, Jake Cushing said:

My final thoughts are that this game is a monster. If BAFTA had any sense or expertise, this would win a major award. Codies made the rally game genre with CMR1 & 2, then RBR created the first rally simulator. It took until this game to see Codies return to make the holy grail, a 'playable rally simulator'. What they have achieved with console controller input is incredible. Physics are flawless, and the graphics are most often amazing. And to reach 60fps across all the consoles...

Physics, flawless? No lol. But it is a good game overall.

On 3/29/2020 at 8:11 PM, FwyFlyer said:

gleylancer571: (Re: inability to move from start line.)

This problem is especially common with the Fanatec Handbrake.  My solution:  Set the initial deadzone on the handbrake at about 35%-40%.  Then make sure you pull that handbrake to at least 50% travel when you need it.

@PJTierney (Re: DRAMATIC loss of vehicle grip post patch 1.13 on PC...)

Upon further reflection, and based upon hundreds of hours of real life offroad racing in mud, sand, and dirt...  I believe the bug on PC is as follows:  (1.13 or the prepatch) caused a minor drop in front tire grip and a MASSIVE drop in REAR tire grip across virtually all vehicles.  Please check.

Have you checked your Fanatec properties page when this happens? I recently ran into this issue where randomly the hand brake would not let go in game, I thought the game was glitching, but it actually turned out to be my handbrake, the Fanatec handbrake uses a potentiometer and mine had a tiny bit of movement which was throwing off the calibration, and mid rally it would shift, and that would cause it to not fully disengage the handbrake.

I went into the handbrake and shifted it back and wedged it so it wouldn't move anymore, and the problem has so far not returned. If that's what your issue is, it should show up in the properties page as still being applied, and you can see if its the same issue by opening the handbrake cover, and lightly pressing on one side or the other on the wires to see if the potentiometers base will rotate and change the bar in the properties page.

Best pic of the part in question I could find online, the piece the 3 wires run to is what was moving. https://www.racedepartment.com/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fdz3bFHVr.jpg&hash=66903e32bb2ce8e1a011806390d99a99

Edited by DarkRedslayer

On 5/3/2020 at 10:13 AM, Jake Cushing said:

Seriously: Get Monte and Germany. You won't regret it. They are both magnificent, and feel really different to Spain. I couldn't imagine the game without these two.

Monte Carlo is (in my opinion) the best tarmac location in the entire game.

• Agree 1

On 3/27/2020 at 5:13 PM, danielofifi said:

The only bad things I can think of are tarmac physics and too forgiving damage model, even with hardcore damage on. Everything else is spot on, best rally game that came after RBR.

I agree 100%. The damage model especially can be really enchanced

Lets say for example you are driving in Greece or Argentina you cut a corner and there is a nusty hole or Rock in there. If you are going really fast the suspension breaks etc. 

10 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Its honestly a toss up between Germany and Monte Carlo for me, as to which is actually my favorite in the entire game.

16 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Can I get an AMEN?

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2020 at 10:13 AM, Jake Cushing said:

It's just a shame you can't delete a non-DLC location from DR2, as I'd get rid of Spain! I imagine plenty of others would too!

Edited by WestHam66

FFB is my only gripe with the game (and the rain and snow on VR but that is more like a bug). It does it's job, but it's so death and unengaging. It's just not fun. What do I consider excellent force feedback? Well, personally I liked the FFB in DR 1 much better, but for current games Automobilista 2 and Assetto Corsa competizione are awesome, even though they feel completely different to each other.