Final DR2.0 thoughts

Not that my opinion matters too terribly much, but now that Dirt Rally 2.0 is nearing the end of its support/content cycle, and with the GOTY edition coming out, here are my thoughts about the game having played since the beginning (pre-ordered for release). For reference, I am playing on Xbox One S with gamepad.

Good:

Content - With a good roster of cars and a nice mix of rallies, this game truly has a little bit of everything for rally fans. There are nice winding stages, there are quick, short blasts through the forest. I never really feel like I'm missing much if I want to just jump on and do a quick stage. I do miss the hill climb events from previous games, but I understand the licensing issues with say, Pikes Peak. Even though I'm not the biggest rallycross player, the rallycross action is fun and a nice change from constant rallying. The amount of DLC for this game has kept it fresh and it does make me want to come back and play more if I've stepped away from the game for a bit.

Physics - The cars do feel very much alive, the best of any DiRT title in my opinion. You do have to think about how the car will react when placing it on the road, can't really just point and shoot. There is a good weight to the cars that makes you feel the movement. It might be even better if I had a sim rig, but for how I play, this game works well for me.

Sounds - The game has some of the best car sounds and, in most cases, environment sounds from any racing game I've played. I love hearing the turbos whine and the exhaust pops, the sound of the tires fighting through the gravel. I recently purchased some decent gaming headphones, and that has really made me feel like I'm in the car with Phil Mills barking directions at me.

Scenery - Some of the scenery on this game is absolutely stunning. There was a dusk race I did in Germany, with the sun setting behind the hot air balloon, that would've made any racing fan and photographer weep. Blasting through the trees of Poland, bouncing off the rev limiter, is a joy. The recent addition of Scotland makes me think of some of the roads I've driven in real life (here in Ohio) that are my favourite places to drive, nice and winding through fields and trees. Argentina, if I'm pushing right on the edge, makes me sit on the edge of my seat because I feel like I could fall down a mountain at any time.

P.S. Good stuff: When the game is on point and really good, it is REALLY GOOD. I enjoy rallying on the game, and like I've said, the rallycross is fun to just fling cars around as well.

Not so good:

RAIN - The single, biggest gripe I have with this game is the rain/heavy rain. As someone who has played from initial release, there have been improvements made in the rain visuals which were much needed. That being said, just because the rain looks good, doesn't mean it needs to rain 95% of the time. For example, I do enjoy doing the rallycross events, but in my experience, apparently only rallycross events are held in the rain because the online events are ALMOST ALWAYS in the rain, and it's usually heavy rain. The new Scotland DLC, one of the first weekly events was 9 stages, of which 8 were some sort of rain. I'm sure it rains a lot in Scotland, but I live in Ohio and see enough rain, so PLEASE let the sunshine more in this game. Not every event has to be sunshine, it could be overcast or something, but PLEASE, in future titles, make the rain happen in say 5% of instances. Poland isn't much fun, in my opinion, when I'm going 100+ mph through a torrential downpour. If I'm racing in the hills of Spain, the rain shouldn't be falling all too frequently. I believe improvements have been made, but next title, make like every 5th event a rain event, not 95% of stages. Also, in free play, it'd be nice if we could get more weather options as it was in Dirt 4 or Dirt Rally. Just being in either dry or rain really doesn't give that much variety.

DLC - I know this has been stated previously, but when paid DLC is mostly content that was in a previous iteration of the game, that really doesn't leave a good taste in your consumer's mouth. I love the 2000cc class. So why did I have to pay to have the cars that were in previous titles? Finland was a much welcome addition to the game, but having to pay for it just so I can say "Well, the physics have improved" doesn't really do much. I will say that the cost of the DLC is good, they did not break the bank by any means, but paying twice for something that is, for most intents and purposes, very similar to what it was before doesn't sit well with me. Monte Carlo is fun in DR2.0, definitely feels more realistic, but it also felt good in Dirt Rally.... Another thing with the DLC, is that if it is content carried over from a previous title, some of it just lost character from the previous game. I don't know if they've really done this in the Panzerplatte, but not having the downed plane and some of the other more "military" aspects of the location really kind of made it not as exciting. The DirtFish school is missing the container/parking lot obstacles from Dirt 4, and that really made it not as exciting. As much as I love driving across an empty parking lot, while that may be more accurate, it really lost the spirit from the previous iteration of the location.

Inconsistent Pacenotes - Another fairly major gripe for me with this game is the quality of the pacenotes. I'm not a real rally driver, I've never done it in real life, but if Dirt Rally 2.0 Phil Mills was my real life co-driver, he would've got a gloved hand across his helmet. I'm sure my rally fans here would know when I refer to the rally drivers who yell at their co-driver when notes are wrong and/or the timing is off. That's how I feel with this game. I only have 90% confidence in the notes, and in rally, you need 110% confidence in the notes. I have the timing of the notes to almost the earliest, and it's not consistent. Sometimes it's three corners ahead. Sometimes I'm going through the hairpin when being told it's a 1-right. In Spain, it seems to me that there are "Don't cut" notes missing, through some of the quick winding parts, when there is a guardrail on the inside of the corner that I flip over from trying to cut. In my experience (and in Jon Armstrong's video about pace notes), the number of the corner USUALLY corresponds to the gear you can take it in. I don't feel confident in these pacenotes enough to really do that. There is a corner in Germany that used to be a "5-left, be brave" that, if I'm thinking of it correct, is a "2-left" in DR2.0, just because it is a slightly acute angle. Time is of the essence in rally, of course, and I did have to re-evaluate how I drive and adjusted my racing lines in some stages,  but these notes just always seem a little off. I also miss the "acute hairpin," other "hairpin" calls, or even "square left/right" from previous titles, as the turns now seem to be more "1-left or 2-right". The hairpin calls seemed more accurate to me.

Summary: This game is good. I spend a good chunk of my time playing Dirt Rally 2.0 The majority of what I do is rally racing, and there is a good amount of content to keep me preoccupied. But, for every good thing in this game, there is something that just holds it back from truly being a "game of the year" for me. Part of it is just a "been there, done that" from the previous title that might have been slightly changed, but not enough to make me want to pay for it again (although I did buy most of the DLC). Another part of it is the frustration brought on by constantly driving in less-than-ideal conditions (again, not that everything has to be sunshine and rainbows), but it is nice when you can just see out of the windscreen a blue sky. I know co-drivers are going to have different styles, but how things are in Dirt Rally 2.0 doesn't make me always feel confident in approaching the rally stage. Although I've learned how to drive a bit better, I should also be able to drive well because I have confidence in the calls in my ear. There's a lot of good stuff in this game, but now that the title is nearing completion, it's been a rough (I'll say it, DiRT-y) road to get here, and it's not quite the shining example of a great rally sim that it could be. Part of it is me, part of it is the limitations of my gaming system, part of it is just the game... Catch y'all in the leaderboards. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

The only bad things I can think of are tarmac physics and too forgiving damage model, even with hardcore damage on. Everything else is spot on, best rally game that came after RBR.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

I would add a few negative points to the FLAT OUT pack too.

I guess car physics again was tweaked and this time not the best way. The rear of the car became too slidy. Lateral grip is almost non existent especially in heavy rain. Yes, mud suppose to be slippery, but not like bare ice on summer tires.

It looks like the weight of the car also decreased. It is especially visible with new Subaru Impreza S4. Each curb stone can sand you to the stratosphere. The car is low and Scotland have a lot of sneaky curb object so you will fly high and a lot. At all I have such impression the physics returned a little to Dirt Rally 2015 state, where each curb stone also send your car far and away.

And yes, heavy rain is almost unplayable with internal cameras in Scotland or Poland. You can see absolutely nothing, but computer opponents and other outside camera "_____s" still flat out like nothing is going on.

Still I love this game. Best historical rally in the market.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Tigron said:

And yes, heavy rain is almost unplayable with internal cameras in Scotland or Poland.

I'll be that guy again, but i disagree. presuming it's not that crazy graphical bug with the rain I've seen screenshots of before.

I don't mind the visibility in rain, (it's never great in real life either) but I do agree there is too much heavy rain cropping up in career mode. Partly why I've ditched career mode altogether for custom championships now.

I haven't noticed any physics changes since the last DLC, is this something others believe to have occurred? I would find it hard to believe they would change the physics in any way towards DR1. That was floaty and finicky and I can't say I've experienced anything like that in Scotland.

5 hours ago, Tigron said:

I guess car physics again was tweaked and this time not the best way. The rear of the car became too slidy. Lateral grip is almost non existent especially in heavy rain. Yes, mud suppose to be slippery, but not like bare ice on summer tires.

It looks like the weight of the car also decreased. It is especially visible with new Subaru Impreza S4. Each curb stone can sand you to the stratosphere. The car is low and Scotland have a lot of sneaky curb object so you will fly high and a lot. At all I have such impression the physics returned a little to Dirt Rally 2015 state, where each curb stone also send your car far and away.

physics were tweaked again? they haven't been tweaked once since the game came out lol

the new cars have different physics because .... they're different vehicles, that's all. it just takes getting used to and/or changing the setup a bit.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

My problem with the rain - is unfair advantage to those, who use external cameras or tweak their graphics not to display the rain. It wouldn't be a problem, but such guys set cool times and then nag here that AI is not fast enough. So AI tweaker sets AI times almost unrealistic for people who just want to have immersion with cockpit view and realistic graphic settings. Poland is a good example of crazy fast AI, that has already been pointed out here several times.

Physics it is very subjective. I feel not only new cars, but most of the cars lighter weight, and therefore more easy to lunch into the sky. And the cars feel less grippy in wet conditions. Dry conditions really have no changes. Well, maybe I just got brave enough to send the car into the corner at greater speed than I should. 🤔

By the way, good point that with Scotland we finally discovered damage model. Rallying rainy weekly Group A in Scotland after a couple of good crushes into carefully placed logs I finally discovered broken engine that my almost full team could not repair without big penalty. So I had to finish the stages with half powered Lancer that barely reached the finish in one peace.

Also great job with Subaru Legacy RS. The car is slow, but when you see it from dash cam this tank does not look slow at all. It is freaking scary! 😱 But it drives so good!

Edited by Tigron

Posted (edited)

I believe you are spot on at least when it comes to the PC version.  I think vehicle friction was reduced dramatically to the point where cars now slide off slightly canted roads even when driving mostly straight.  Vehicles have much less side bite and also take much longer to stop than they did pre 1.13 patch.  Moreover, it seems as if all roads were suddenly turned to wet clay.  And, while the effect may be more pronounced on some vehicles it nonetheless exists virtually across the board.

I have literally hundreds of hours into this game on steam and I have driven it nearly every day.  Long story short, the loss of traction caused by the recent patch(es) IS a game breaker!

System:  Win 10. nvidia 2080ti, accuforce pro v2 wheel, nlrv3 motion platform, fanatec shifter, clubsport 3 pedals.

Edited by FwyFlyer
quoted wrong text
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Rain is probably my number one gripe with the game. My heart sinks a little when I see that a stage will be wet, either if it's raining or when the road is wet. It's especially bad in Spain, when the lack of grip is really frustrating. The wet tyres are terrible and none of the dry ones work well. I have to go slower just to get around the stage, but I end up so far down the leaderboard that good times on the dry stages are wasted.

My final thoughts are that this game is a monster. If BAFTA had any sense or expertise, this would win a major award. Codies made the rally game genre with CMR1 & 2, then RBR created the first rally simulator. It took until this game to see Codies return to make the holy grail, a 'playable rally simulator'. What they have achieved with console controller input is incredible. Physics are flawless, and the graphics are most often amazing. And to reach 60fps across all the consoles...

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

On 3/27/2020 at 4:13 PM, danielofifi said:

The only bad things I can think of are tarmac physics...

What is bad for you? I think it could work for me but I don't have enough info from the controller so I can go slow or fast and then suddenly lost full grip and crash. It's not enjoyable. How should I check the grip? By sound?

Posted (edited)
The co-drivers urgently need to be improved !!!
At every DLC rally, the co-drivers don't give you a preview of the first turns.

The German co-driver has to learn German now.
Quite often after using the handbrake, the car no longer accelerates no matter whether you accelerate a lot or a little
Sometimes the car comes to a complete standstill even if you accelerate or continues to twist at 2-20km / h.

It doesn't matter which car or which route
I often had to cancel an event because the car can no longer be moved.
Codemasters must understand that rally cars also have to accelerate.

So the co-driver and the acceleration problem have to be fixed.

If these two things are not fixed, Codemasters cannot speak of a finished game
Edited by gleylancer571
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, gleylancer571 said:

Quite often after using the handbrake, the car no longer accelerates no matter whether you accelerate a lot or a little Sometimes the car comes to a complete standstill even if you accelerate or continues to twist at 2-20km / h.

Turbo? Kick the clutch to get boost.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Turbo? Kick the clutch to get boost. 

But I only drive with an automatic transmission

12 minutes ago, gleylancer571 said:

But I only drive with an automatic transmission

You should in theory be able to select clutch override even in Auto. I started using it myself recently (turned it on halfway through Colin launch stream) and noticed the difference coming out of corners.

Posted (edited)

@SkiddyMcCrash postet 15 April 2019  and

commented on this problem

@masa90 @gleylancer571 are you both using front bumper cam?

if you are, change your camera from bumper to a different view before you cross the finish line on the first stage, it'll stop the bug happening. Just change your camera back to bumper at the start of the second stage and you're good.

Edited by gleylancer571

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, gleylancer571 said:

Quite often after using the handbrake, the car no longer accelerates no matter whether you accelerate a lot or a little
Sometimes the car comes to a complete standstill even if you accelerate or continues to twist at 2-20km / h.

It doesn't matter which car or which route
I often had to cancel an event because the car can no longer be moved.
Codemasters must understand that rally cars also have to accelerate.

gleylancer571: (Re: inability to move from start line.)

This problem is especially common with the Fanatec Handbrake.  My solution:  Set the initial deadzone on the handbrake at about 35%-40%.  Then make sure you pull that handbrake to at least 50% travel when you need it.

@PJTierney (Re: DRAMATIC loss of vehicle grip post patch 1.13 on PC...)

Upon further reflection, and based upon hundreds of hours of real life offroad racing in mud, sand, and dirt...  I believe the bug on PC is as follows:  (1.13 or the prepatch) caused a minor drop in front tire grip and a MASSIVE drop in REAR tire grip across virtually all vehicles.  Please check.

Edited by FwyFlyer
shortened post

1 hour ago, FwyFlyer said:

Upon further reflection, and based upon hundreds of hours of real life offroad racing in mud, sand, and dirt...  I believe the bug on PC is as follows:  (1.13 or the prepatch) caused a minor drop in front tire grip and a MASSIVE drop in REAR tire grip across virtually all vehicles.  Please check.

I seem to be matching or beating my R5 class times set 4 months ago in New Zealand fine.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, nbates66 said:

I seem to be matching or beating my R5 class times set 4 months ago in New Zealand fine.

It does not affect dry stages this much, but wet stages with heavy rain are a hell! 🙀

Edited by Tigron

3 hours ago, nbates66 said:

The bug may not be affecting all systems the same. 

Unlike most users, I have invested a great deal into playing this game.  I literally use all of the DR 2.0 telemetry on my setup to run a motion platform and direct drive steering.  When I run, I often do so  with no assists, including manual w/clutch.  But, the cars are so slippery now that it is all I can do to keep em on the track even with auto shifting.  

This patch has caused all of my times to drop precipitously.  And, now rather than feeling the cars stick in the corners OR slide sideways , now I can only feel the effect of the front wheels.  Aside from providing forward momentum, the rear wheels offer so little resistance that the cars now act as though they are simply pivoting on a central point at about the gear shift lever based solely upon whatever the front wheels are doing.   It is as if the rear wheels were replaced with shopping cart wheels and that IS bad.  Very bad.

I only drive with a PS4 pad
And the problem is, when the car is stopped or only 2-10km / h the only thing you can do is reverse gear in and quickly accelerate again.
When you reach 20 km / h you are out of the death zone.

And this problem does not only occur with turbo cars.
A very simple solution would be that you can restart the online events

I wish that the liveries that already exist in the game will be transferred to the cars that have very, very few
for example Up 2000cc cars some only have 3 ...

21 hours ago, Johnnnn said:

What is bad for you? I think it could work for me but I don't have enough info from the controller so I can go slow or fast and then suddenly lost full grip and crash. It's not enjoyable. How should I check the grip? By sound?

There is no lateral grip on tarmac, when you drift it feels more like drifting on gravel. You can fight it with tuning, but only to some extent. Also, there is not enough information sent through ffb. On a controller, I have no idea how it feels.

final thoughts for Dirt rally 2.0. its a great game and a great addition. on dirt mud the game is brilliant so thats nailed. tarmac still needs massive work. that is one of the very few things holding dirt back at the moment. racenet needs to go or online connection. it marrs...the experience. most times ive played dirt like many is at the weekends and thats often when racenet is down. now...as anything technical you kinda expect glitches or odd differculty in games but literally every weekend, NO ! not good enough. either do it right or just remove it. it hasnt stopped anything either because pirates still pirate it and even get content before actual owners of the game. so having a online connection to play is basically pointless.

so id say the actual game has turned out about on par with dirt rally 1. would of been probably above dirt rally if...no racenet and better tarmac. tarmacs basically the same and any credit the game earned extra has been canceled out by the nightmare that is racenet. if you cant play on the time you have to play. why play at all ?

DLC how it was handled worked didnt help the game or community in any way. make it clear next time whats included and no nasty surprises.

hopefully the things that make dirt rally great continue and the bad things get sorted out. 8.5/10. ( would of been 9/10) without racenet and how the DLC was handled.

• Agree 1

On 3/30/2020 at 11:38 AM, danielofifi said:

There is no lateral grip on tarmac, when you drift it feels more like drifting on gravel. You can fight it with tuning, but only to some extent. Also, there is not enough information sent through ffb. On a controller, I have no idea how it feels.

Yeah, something strange is there. I am still not sure what but I don't like Spain to play. I played tarmac racing for last two years and I am not able to enjoy Spain. On a controller it feels like you need to hear everything but when you are too fast, you are instantly out of track because "warning" came to late. Or maybe it's partly not perfect (not sensitive enough) gas control but I am not sure.

• Agree 1