Sign in to follow this  

World RX Esports Series

Live about 30 minutes after I post this message:

Watch links and the full grid:

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/04/how-to-watch-the-world-rx-esports-invitational-on-april-19/

• World RX Driver – Timmy Hansen (2019 World RX Champion)
  • World RX Driver – Johan Kristoffersson (2017, 2018 World RX Champion)
  • World RX Driver – Kevin Hansen
  • World RX Driver – Andreas Bakkerud
  • World RX Driver – Oli Bennett
  • World RX Driver – Timo Scheider (2008, 2009 DTM Champion)

• RX Driver – Marius Bermingrud
  • RX Driver – Oliver Eriksson
  • RX Driver – Henrik Krogstad
  • RX Driver – Cabot Bigham
  • RX Driver – Kevin Abbring

• GT Driver – Nicki Thiim (2014 Le Mans Winner, 2016 WEC Champion)

• Rally Driver – Jon Armstrong (DiRT Rally 2.0 Rally Consultant)
  • Rally Driver – Mattias Adielsson
  • Rally Driver – Cohete Suarez

• DiRT Rally 2.0 Steam Qualifier – Killian Dall’olmo (World Series Rallycross Champion)
  • DiRT Rally 2.0 Steam Qualifier – Quentin Dall’olmo
  • DiRT Rally 2.0 Steam Qualifier – Lukáš Matěja

• YouTube Content Creator – Jimmy Broadbent
  • YouTube Content Creator – Alex Day (Failrace)

More news from World RX:

World RX Esports Invitational - Catalunya Edition

EVENT SCHEDULE, Sunday, April 19

14:00: Live show starts

14:05: Qualifiers Round 1

14:25: Qualifiers Round 2

14:45: Qualifiers Round 3

15:05: Qualifiers Round 4

15:25: Semi Finals

15:35: Final

15:45: Interviews

16:00: Show Ends

All times in BST (UTC+1)

imagesource.php?image=14425.jpg

Posted (edited)

Oh boy, whatever you say, at the very least entertainment was delivered. Although I'm not entirely sure that is was the best kind of entertainment that people were looking for...

As usual, we're starting from the beginning, with the 4 Heats. First of all, I am a bit confused as to why the grids after Heat 1 were randomized, as it's entirely possible to set the grid according to the results of Heat 1. This arguably led to a lot more collisions and carnage between slower and faster drivers, which took away from the action that could've been delivered. I'll refer back to this later, but this could be one way to avoid the amounts of carnage we had this time.

Secondly, the driving standards were just not up to par, people were cutting other people off at T1, whilst you cannot see what is directly next to you, this is turn 1 we're speaking of,  there is always someone next to you, so to turn in like some drivers did, should have been penalized. Because it wasn't, it kept happening over and over again and quite a handful of drivers had their races or even their whole event ruined due to being crashed out.

These driving standards were also noticeably with the amount of risky divebombs, collisions upon re-entering the track, or punting on the entry to the joker lap. These things should have been penalized, otherwise it fosters an environment where everyone who is watching, will argue that it's fine to do that, because it wasn't penalized during this event.

I could talk about driving standard all day, but I'll move on to something more constructive, being the production. At times, the production had quite a lot of errors, either with wrong graphics popping up, scene transitions or as probably noticed, faulty mathematics on the results screen, as shown on stream, which left all of the audience very confused as to who was where. I'd love to see these kind of issues not happen as much next time, if need be, take more time between races, which brings me to my next point.

The format, I would argue the format was near enough perfect, aside from the randomized races in the heats, and the randomized grids in the later finals. Therefor there isn't much I'd change. That said, I have a slight tip that may be useful, since we saw A LOT of obvious green light bugs and disconnects, I'd recommend always having the next race lobby ready the moment one race starts, so if there is a disconnect upon load, you can switch to the next race, whilst allowing for the bugged/glitched/affected lobby to have its race restarted, without affecting the stream schedule too much. Having more time between races would also cover this effect partially.

Another thing I'd love to see is maybe have some interviews in between heats or before/after the semi-finals, it will bring another dimension to the event that might hook the audience in even more.

One last mention, the track lap video, given some track differences felt really out of place. So I'd request one driver to make a lap of the circuit in the game, so there'd be less of a disconnect between the track lap and the event.

So yeah, there's room for improvement, especially on the stewarding side. I truly hope it evolves in between the events, slowly moving towards the event that everyone, the drivers, the organizers, the audience and whoever else, gets the event that they deserve.

PS: Maybe having 1-2 more Esports drivers will also ease up the driving standards, as they're used to tight but clean racing.

@PJTierney 😉

Edited by SereneLogic
  • Thanks 1

It was supposed to be fun so it's not too bad that they had randomized grids in my view. Considering the amount of RL racing drivers, together with awesome commentators like Neil Cole and Andrew Coley and watching the drama unfold in some occasions, this was the kind of event I was hoping for. 👍

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I watched a bit and overall it was ok to watch. Mostly Coley made it a good show 🙂  

But I think overall DR2.0 showed it's issues quite clear why you can't really organise well leagues with the game, while the sport is actually great for hosting e-sport events.

- DiRT Rally 2.0 misses a livery editor, so you end up with some blank cars... At least needed to have the one from DiRT 4 or what ACC has. But better go for what iRacing have.
- The broadcast mode is pretty bad, also I think difficult to control. Car switched from TV to an onboard view, actually when you not wanted it to be and missing the action.
- No possibility to check a replay from different angles, so difficult for race-control to check situations and give correct penalties.
- Highlights from a race are from what is broadcasted. So if something not was showen, you still couldn't see what had happened. 
- Starts? There are no car revs / engine noises. Also it's every time from a swingman camera view.
- It just shows the game needs the possibility to have 20 cars in a lobby. Now everytime quali start with randomized grids. Or at least make it possible for the lobby host to change/edit things. 
- The cars are to fast. 

in the end, DiRT Rally 2.0 had never the intention to be a sim/e-sports game like an iRacing or ACC. Also Barcelona, with its stone tyre walls, is a tricky track in the game. I wonder if an other track in the game might make it a bit better. Maybe Montelegre makes it a bit easier, although it is technical as well, there are no stone tyres where the players get close to as at Barca. 

I also hope the developers watched this event, so they can implement a few improvements for the next event. I think if they could improve the cameras, sounds and grid/event control, it could increase the quality already quite a lot 🙂 Currently the event not did it really justice, as the game is much better than what is showen.  

EDIT: Also I hope they make a new class, 2018 and 2019 WRX Supercars. So than for example Johan Kristofferson can also choose his VW Polo, Cabot Bigham can choose a VW. 

Edited by JorritVD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Here our suggestions for the next invitational event:

- Having enough time to check the results after each Qualifying heat allows you to run an event in the same format as in real life. Grids for Qualifying 2-3-4 should be based on previous Qualifying results. That splits drivers in different lobbies where the fastest and cleanest are together normally.

- Stewards are important too. In the first invitational event we saw a few contacts that could be penalized while others were just race incidents.

- Graphics showed the wrong results/calculations but that is a minor issue and we all make mistakes. If someone is following the event he/she will notice that and will understand it.

- The format is good except the grid ^ (read 1st point)
- Commentary is excellent as usual.
- Social media posts also helped to get the attention of a lot of real and Esports drivers.

Conclusions: There will be always contact in a RX race. If we start with penalties for minor contacts then...why we race? Camera angles are ok and also all or almost all drivers shared their on boards (they streamed the full event). The difference between RX and F1 is that in RX in real life there is contact always. Our suggestion is that stewards could watch the replay thanks to driver's stream and decide if something is or not punishable.

Ps: The lack of respect between drivers at the end of the event should be also punishable (maybe cancelling the invite for next event). Drivers should be polite when they win and also when they lose.

Edited by WERC - Esports League
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, WERC - Esports League said:

- Having enough time to check the results after each Qualifying heat allows you to run an event in the same format as in real life. Grids for Qualifying 2-3-4 should be based on previous Qualifying results. That splits drivers in different lobbies where the fastest and cleanest are together normally.

This is currently not possible in the game, because (A) to small lobby (just 8 person) and (B) if start a new single race it is always randomized (there are no tools ingame to edit the positions)

33 minutes ago, WERC - Esports League said:

Camera angles are ok and also all or almost all drivers shared their on boards (they streamed the full event). Our suggestion is that stewards could watch the replay thanks to driver's stream and decide if something is or not punishable.

I not agree with this:
- Camera angles are not ok. Lot of times they switch from tv to an uninteresting onboard. Steward decision are now just based on footage what had been broadcasted. 
- You cannot rely that drivers also stream it. At least the PC version (i expect all esports will be on Steam) needs a replay file, so you can check it from different angles from different drivers. Just see how iRacing and ACC do that.

• Agree 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone 🙂 

I'll email people later today with a link to this thread, so feel free to bring in more feedback in the meantime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WERC - Esports League said:

Ps: The lack of respect between drivers at the end of the event should be also punishable (maybe cancelling the invite for next event). Drivers should be polite when they win and also when they lose.

I wasn't watching the driver streams as I was keeping an eye on the world feed; what happened?

• Like 1

I loved it. Sure some things could be approved upon, but I thought it was a great show!

19 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I wasn't watching the driver streams as I was keeping an eye on the world feed; what happened?

Well, Jon wasn't too happy with his mate Mattias in his semi-final...that's for sure.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JorritVD said:

This is currently not possible in the game, because (A) to small lobby (just 8 person) and (B) if start a new single race it is always randomized (there are no tools ingame to edit the positions)

I not agree with this:
- Camera angles are not ok. Lot of times they switch from tv to an uninteresting onboard. Steward decision are now just based on footage what had been broadcasted. 
- You cannot rely that drivers also stream it. At least the PC version (i expect all esports will be on Steam) needs a replay file, so you can check it from different angles from different drivers. Just see how iRacing and ACC do that.

@JorritVD you are wrong...
Well...there is an option of custom Grid, so check that before saying it is not possible, please 🙂. All organizers, like we are,  know how to do it fortunately...

@PJTierney or any organizer in DiRT scene can confirm what was said above ^ .

Cameras...yes, you can't not rely that drivers stream it but you can force them to do it if they want to join the event. All organisers enforce drivers to record the on board cameras of their races in communities with a good reputation. If a driver does not accept the rules, he/she can't participate, that easy.

You can ask them to stream the event and that option of multi angle cameras is not an option for DiRT Rally 2.0 devs atm (I guess). You have to evaluate what you have for running this event and its limitations.

Ps: Not all Esports are just on Steam. Always for all platforms PS4/XB1 and Steam and yes, a replay insta-save should be nice for future games.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

It was the first event, so we won't report it officially or publish the names of who did. However like in real life this behaviours should be punished even if it is done post-race.

Congrats for the first invitational event and hope you do more in the future (not only during lockdown 🙂 )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WERC - Esports League said:

Well...there is an option of custom Grid, so check that before saying it is not possible, please 🙂. All organizers, like we are,  know how to do it fortunately...

@PJTierney or any organizer in DiRT scene can confirm what was said above ^ .

There is an option to manually set the grid in Multiplayer Lobbies, it's in the public documentation we provided recently.

Maybe for future Invitationals it'll get used 🙂 (note; no confirmation on future ones yet, up to World RX really)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WERC - Esports League said:

I see. Apologies, I wasn't up-to-date about this option yet. 

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

There is an option to manually set the grid in Multiplayer Lobbies, it's in the public documentation we provided recently.

Is this something new option?? because i haven't noticed this before. 

Maybe an idea for a new YouTube video for the DiRT channel? Kinda tutorials and a link to the guide.
Yes some people watch the forums, but maybe you get a bigger reach with a YouTube video. Even I did miss this. 
Maybe a quick video that summerises the feature, and one bigger video as tutorial. 

Bit like these:

MotoGP 20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_VHZ3sZH1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA6lCv4k_J0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slh-y-NVcP0

ACC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJU7sS37fRc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4xB5ChazMA

• Like 2

That event was great to watch guys. Andrew Coley has made it very entertaining. 

I was a bit sad by some racing behaviour that were not really at the top level for real driver like they are. Sometimes, it reminds me some of the online races we can play with unfair players that think they play on Wreckfest or something. 

But it was again, really fun to watch. Thanks CM.

1 hour ago, JorritVD said:

Is this something new option?? because i haven't noticed this before. 

Maybe an idea for a new YouTube video for the DiRT channel? Kinda tutorials and a link to the guide.
Yes some people watch the forums, but maybe you get a bigger reach with a YouTube video. Even I did miss this. 
Maybe a quick video that summerises the feature, and one bigger video as tutorial. 

It's been in there a while but it's relatively hidden, and was mainly intended for Motorsport Network. It's in the guide you linked.

We share it on social every week too 🙂 

Video resource is towards more critical projects right now, but I like the idea 🙂 

finally got around to watching all of this.

it was a little dirty, and there were some disappointing problems with connections, and obviously the person in charge of the cameras isn't going to be as good as a whole TV crew. but overall... that was super exciting! having esports guys compete with real-life ones is really fun. if I'm honest it was more entertaining than the actual Dirt world series finals (and semis, and quarters).

Coley and Cole are great as usual, and their banter was taken to the next level because they had to wing it for longer (and because they clearly know each other so, so well). the parts where Andrew got out his Lego Millennium Falcon and his dog were super funny and sweet

very interested in seeing the next round in Montalegre

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Something just feels right about watching (virtual) World RX cars and having Coley shout all over them. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Something just feels right about watching (virtual) World RX cars and having Coley shout all over them. 🙂 

We need Andrew Coley's commentaries during our races like we can have commentaries in PES or FIFA :classic_biggrin:

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, James McAdam said:

We need Andrew Coley's commentaries during our races like we can have commentaries in PES or FIFA :classic_biggrin:

Especially when he reads Jimmy Broadbent's Wikipedia page 😄 

• Haha 1