DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a few tips

Hi,

I am a veteran on racing sims but I just can't seem to get the feel for some of the cars in DR 2.0

To me it feels like I am a passenger a lot of the time with the cars just not responding to my input.

I have tried the 'GTR Technical' setups on YouTube with moderate success.

I am running a Thrustmaster TS300 so if anyone has any recommended wheel settings they could share that would be great. I am running automatic shifting for now, I have enough trouble trying to get to the end of a stage at the moment, it seems like pot luck as to whether the car will stick to the road.

At the moment I am getting battered by the AI on 80% difficulty, even when i have a smooth stage. Not sure what I can do to improve.

What also confuses me is the AI speed in heavy rain. I ran a stage in Wales yesterday. Once in dry conditions where I actually won the stage by 4 seconds.
The second run-through was pretty smooth yet I finished 12 seconds down. It seems like the heavy rain doesn't affect the AI as much as the player.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks

Long post warning.

1 hour ago, cjhill said:

I am a veteran on racing sims

Its good you have previous experiance in sims, but unless you are on Spain or Germany in DR2.0; you pretty much have to throw that past experiance out the window. Throttle control is still needed, but a lot of the smoothness you would normally use for steering; can often need to be replaced with aggressivnes. On dirt/gravel/snow/ice, you often need to do a fair amount of pendulum turns in order to get the rotation you need. Plus the use of the handbrake can sometimes be needed to swing around the tighter hairpins. It becomes counter intuitive if you are only used to circuit racing mainly.

1 hour ago, cjhill said:

To me it feels like I am a passenger a lot of the time with the cars just not responding to my input.

This will pass as you get more used to the game, its the difference in driving styles needed that does it. You have probably already started to adapt to driving on loose surfaces, so a little more times will help even more.

1 hour ago, cjhill said:

I have tried the 'GTR Technical' setups on YouTube with moderate success.

Good tunes to use, I can also recommened checking out @SkyRex video content in their "community rally school" thread. There are tutorials, general help, and location guides posted up in there. So you should find it a good resource -

There is also the thread called "The DiRT Rally School", which has some content made by Codemasters.

1 hour ago, cjhill said:

I am running a Thrustmaster TS300 so if anyone has any recommended wheel settings they could share that would be great.

I use a T300 also, I have a video on my youtube channel that shows the process of calibrating it in game in order to use "soft lock", and my FFB settings are shown on screen as well. Feel free to give them a try. I am on the PC, I have the Thrustmaster driver set with everything on 100%. My DOR is set to 1080°.

1 hour ago, cjhill said:

I am running automatic shifting for now, I have enough trouble trying to get to the end of a stage at the moment, it seems like pot luck as to whether the car will stick to the road.

At the moment I am getting battered by the AI on 80% difficulty, even when i have a smooth stage. Not sure what I can do to improve.  

I would advise swapping to manual sequential at the very least, the abilty to change gears will give you far greater control on loose surfaces; as you need to ensure you are in the powerband in order to flow through the corners with a bit of a slip angle.

As for getting the car to "stick to the road", I would honestly suggest jumping into the Freeplay's "time trial" mode and just practicing. This will give you some time to slow down and learn and improve your car control on loose surfaces. I would suggest "Pant Mawr" for Wales, "Te awanga sprint" for New Zealand, "Kopina" for Poland, "Elgsjon" for Sweden, "Ascenso por valle el Gualet" for Spain, and "Col de Turini Depart en descente" for Monte Carlo. I find these make good practice locations, as they have a decent mix of fast and slow sections.

I put up a video on my process for learning new stages a couple of days ago, which you may find useful. The process of learning a new stage, is very similar to learning a new car, as well as new techniques. Mainly its a process of starting off slow and building up speed as you get more used to what you are doing. It has on screen telemety for my throttle, brake and clutch; so will help you figure out what I am doing to manipulate the weight transfer to my advantage. Controling and manipulating weight transfer is a key part to controlling the cars on the loose surfaces.

Im not used to speaking in videos, so it is a bit awkward in places, but I hope all this helps you out.

• Like 1

Amazing advice, thank you.

some really good info there. Like you say on circuits it’s a more finesse style of driving required. I’m a multiple champion on an online NASCAR series, a world of difference from rallying.

Have been playing dirt since its release but just need to take a step back and learn the cars and stages.

Definitely relate to trying to go in blind, drive flat out, crash and get frustrated.

Thanks I’ll try the wheel settings you suggest.