Scotland DLC Huge FPS Down at certain point

Every time at the bridge DR 2.0 becomes unplayable, FPS drops down even to 1... Every time, except replays
What is deifferent here? River effect? Water fall?  Please fix it Thanks

• Agree 1

Not sure if it's the cause but there are several spectators there, crowd setting is a huge fps hog. Try decreasing that, makes no meaningful difference to graphics anyway

53 minutes ago, HoksuHoo said:

Not sure if it's the cause but there are several spectators there, crowd setting is a huge fps hog. Try decreasing that, makes no meaningful difference to graphics anyway

Thanks. Spectators setting was on Low. Even is set it to Off the situation is the same - the same as in Spain for a year now at certain corners

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mesa said:

Merci. Le réglage des spectateurs était sur Low. Même est réglé sur Off, la situation est la même - la même qu'en Espagne depuis un an maintenant à certains coins

Idem sur mon PC, je confirme.

Same on my PC, I confirm.

For whatever weird reason this only seems to happen on PC. Others have reported it too.

I'm on PS4 Pro and don't seem to have any issues.

My system does the same exact thing - no amount of changing the graphics alleviates the issue. Everything on low and it still stutters in Scotland and Spain. Running on a 1660 Ti, I can run 70-80 fps any other time during the game. Drops down to 15 across that bridge in Scotland - it's horrible.

Yes before the bridge there is a noticeable drop in fps.

Try turning Ambient Occlusion down or off, both the stepper and the advanced setting.

4 hours ago, nbates66 said:

Try turning Ambient Occlusion down or off, both the stepper and the advanced setting.

Just tried it - turned it off in both settings and didn't notice any change in that spot.

Try turning Ground cover and Advanced Blending down then, Trees next. Crowds aren't too bad in DR2.0 unless in VR mode.

I turned the settings to it's lowest preset, then went through and turned everything to either its lowest setting or off in both the general and advanced tabs. The game looked worse than RBR on its worst day. Same issue. Frame rate dips to unplayable levels across that bridge.

3 hours ago, AcousticBoom said:

I turned the settings to it's lowest preset, then went through and turned everything to either its lowest setting or off in both the general and advanced tabs. The game looked worse than RBR on its worst day. Same issue. Frame rate dips to unplayable levels across that bridge.

odd... System Specifications?

Same problem here. I did some testing with rivatuner to get useful data also and here is what i have found out:

1. The FPS drop happens in the very certain area. Its exact location is at the end of the bridge and its about 1-2 meters long.

2. Occurance of the problem is not fully dependant on the car speed. It happens even if you drive at very minimum speed. Felt stutter effect will be more violent when driving with higher speed though. At worst its so bad that it can lead to crashing the car. If you stop in that "problem area" the fps becomes normal, and drops again as soon as you start moving even very slowly.

3. Problem happens again and again if you keep driving over the "problem area" multiple times. And it happens whether you drive forward or reverse.

4. Problem seems to be the same in all the stages that have this spot and the "problem area" seemed to be same in reversed stages also.

5. GPU usage doesn't seem to rise during the FPS drop.

6. Graphical settings don't seem to have effect on the problem.

7. Different camera angles don't matter either.

Basic info about my system:
i5 4690K oc'd to 4,5ghz
Msi GTX 1060 6gb oc'd to core ~2050mhz / mem ~9500mhz
16gb of ram

Graphics settings are set and tested so that I normally have steady 100 fps with adaptive Vsync across 95% of the stages in the game. Just tiny and rare fps drops in some locations in the heavy rain. Scotland has been running fine expect just this spot which causes terrible stutters sometimes.

I recorded video with rivatuner osd on. Recording added extra instability to framerate graph and the video doesn't show visual stuttering accurately but by looking at current Framerate its easy to see the area where this problem occurs. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FINPePe said:

I have this problem too.

Can more people post their system specs as well so we can get a handle on if it's related to hardware config?

Intel Core i5-7600K at 3.8 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2070

Oculus CV1, Thrustmaster T300RS wheel, G27 pedals via Leo Bodnar USB module, Fanatec clubsport shifter & handbrake and G27 shifter as button box via Leo Bodnar USB module.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, nbates66 said:

Can more people post their system specs as well so we can get a handle on if it's related to hardware config?

I tried the same on the Steam thread, and reported it on the 1.13 bugs thread (link). It seems more prominent on old CPUS (FX, Core 1-4 series, with FX and 1-2 most affected) on single screen, and for more recent machines it's mostly noticeable for VR users where high fps can't be sustained. GPU used won't matter, as it'll happen under low gpu usage. Users on recent cpus on single screen won't probably notice it, as minimum fps will be much higher. See this post by ialyrn. For those with huge dips in fps like me >100 to 15 then back to fps at that point of the bridge, no amount of graphics tweaking (all minimum) or resolution changes will help.

Replays don't seem affected, so it's likely something happening in real-time driving while physics (etc) run at that particular point of the map.

Edited by AlleyViper
  • Agree 1

Sounds like this stage in particular runs into limitations on old quad-core CPU's, i definitely noticed an improvement in various areas when i moved from my Core i5-4670K based system to my current Ryzen 5 3600 system even though i'm using the same GPU, though that was before Scotland got released so can't do a comparison now. Perhaps Codemasters can do some targeted optimization for older CPUs on Scotland?