DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Until Force Feedback shifters are a thing

Missed shifts need to be corrected by only pressing the clutch. Not having to clutch and reshift the gear. In real life if you miss a gear it doesn't go into position, so you simply clutch again, and push it in, having to shift out of gear and back in again is a **** tier way of doing it and I don't know why so many games do it that way. Its the main reason I usually just run sequential even though I have more fun with H-pattern.

Ironically the only game that handles this correctly is a simcade, Forza.

Happy about this though lol. No idea how many people have actually set times, but its nice to feel like I'm improving even when the game is making me rage >.> 

20200328204050_1.jpg

Put your clutch saturation between 30 to 40%, missed shifts will be thing of the last then. Also, if you happen to have a th8a shifter from thrustmaster. On one side of the unit there is a tension screw, so you can stiffen the shifts up if you want too. Thrustmaster also have some tuning software for the th8a shifter, so you can change the activation points for the hall effect sensor it uses to your personal preference.

Only posting that but of info, as you never stated what hardware you are using.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

Put your clutch saturation between 30 to 40%, missed shifts will be thing of the last then. Also, if you happen to have a th8a shifter from thrustmaster. On one side of the unit there is a tension screw, so you can stiffen the shifts up if you want too. Thrustmaster also have some tuning software for the th8a shifter, so you can change the activation points for the hall effect sensor it uses to your personal preference.

Only posting that but of info, as you never stated what hardware you are using.

Fanatec gear, I have the v1.5, which also has a tension screw. I was annoyed when I posted this so I wasn't thinking about what gear I was using lol 😛 But I'll definitely try that, I rarely miss a shift, but when I do its always at the most inopportune time, and usually while down shifting multiple gears quickly... And for some reason its always the last gear I miss lmao.

Edited by DarkRedslayer

5 minutes ago, DarkRedslayer said:

Fanatec gear, I have the v1.5, which also has a tension screw. I was annoyed when I posted this so I wasn't thinking about what gear I was using lol 😛 But I'll definitely try that, I rarely miss a shift, but when I do its always at the most inopportune time, and usually while down shifting multiple gears quickly... And for some reason its always the last gear I miss lmao.

I dont have any issues in this game going from lets say 5th to 2nd gear in one go, you dont need to go from 5th to 4th to 3rd to 2nd for example.

24 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

I dont have any issues in this game going from lets say 5th to 2nd gear in one go, you dont need to go from 5th to 4th to 3rd to 2nd for example.

Old habits die hard lol. I've been trying to get into the habit of skipping gears on downshifts for this game, but my mind always starts thinking too much about which gear to go to and I crash lol

Also I just noticed my entire pedal base was lifting up when I was braking and using the clutch at the same time, not by much, but it was just enough to mess with my braking and my clutch timing.

I have now screwed them to the floor lol.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, somethingthing said:

Actually in terms of driving you do. The more time spend in gear at high revs, the more engine braking effect, slowing you down more effectively.

48 minutes ago, SkyRex said:

Actually in terms of driving you do. The more time spend in gear at high revs, the more engine braking effect, slowing you down more effectively.

So what you saying is that you need to go from 5-4-3-2 in terms of driving but 5-2 would slow you down more effectively? Well, its the quick engine braking im looking for when going from 5th to 2nd. I dont understand your point. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

So what you saying is that you need to go from 5-4-3-2 in terms of driving but 5-2 would slow you down more effectively? Well, its the quick engine braking im looking for when going from 5th to 2nd. I dont understand your point. 

The "high" part of Skyrex's post is important. He is saying that the longer you are higher up in the rev range, the more effective engine braking is. So going by what they are saying, staying in 5th gear then changing down to 2nd just before the corner is not as effective as changing down 5>4>3>2.

1 hour ago, SkyRex said:

In esscence, Skyrex is saying that although you do not percieve an issue changing down gears the way you currently do; you are actually reducing your car control and slowing yourself down by not changing through all the gears as you reduce speed for a corner.

At least I believe that is what they are trying to say.

Edited by Ialyrn

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

The "high" part of Skyrex's post is important. He is saying that the longer you are higher up in the rev range, the more effective engine braking is. So going by what they are saying, staying in 5th gear then changing down to 2nd just before the corner is not as effective as changing down 5>4>3>2.

In esscence, Skyrex is saying that although you do not percieve an issue changing down gears the way you currently do; you are actually reducing your car control and slowing yourself down by not changing through all the gears as you reduce speed for a corner.

At least I believe that is what they are trying to say.

Correctly described.
This is also the key use-case for Heel-Toe Downshifting. Keeping the revs high and engaged while one the brakes, without unsettling the car on the shifts.
It's much more elaborate to do. But side by side a car braked in a straight line will slow down slightly quicker if shifted through every gear. But I actually covered this in a video. Watch for Deceleration and for heel-toe:

Edited by SkyRex
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, SkyRex said:

Correctly described.
This is also the key use-case for Heel-Toe Downshifting. Keeping the revs high and engaged while one the brakes, without unsettling the car on the shifts.
It's much more elaborate to do. But side by side a car braked in a straight line will slow down slightly quicker if shifted through every gear. But I actually covered this in a video. Watch for Deceleration and for heel-toe:

Glad i described it properly. Its something i do without thinking, as i was an avid gamepad player using manual gears for years before i moved to wheels. Its also how my driving instructor taught me to change down gears when slowing/stoping for junctions and what not. So ive always done it without thinking if its faster or slower, i just know its natural for me to do and works for my driving style, lol.

I mostly just try to gear skip when going from a 6 left to a hairpin right for example, because the cars always get too unstable. I haven't raced much in cars with a clutch since screwing my pedals down though, but it made a huge difference in the few attempts I did after, and has even made a difference in sequential cars. I never realized how much that little bit of lift was messing me up in DR2.0.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DarkRedslayer said:

I mostly just try to gear skip when going from a 6 left to a hairpin right for example, because the cars always get too unstable. I haven't raced much in cars with a clutch since screwing my pedals down though, but it made a huge difference in the few attempts I did after, and has even made a difference in sequential cars. I never realized how much that little bit of lift was messing me up in DR2.0.

If your losing control in such a way from going from a 6 left to a hairpin right, that usually means you have not anticipated the corners ahead. So you are going to hot into the 6 left, and then possibly slamming the brakes hard to hit the right hairpin. Because of this, you would violently shift all the weight forward reducing grip at the rear, while simultaneously wanting to change direction. This action usually results in loss of momentum, or even full loss of control. In racing (circuit or rally), you need to be thinking about whats coming up 3 to even 4 corners ahead, and preparing your speed and trajectory so you remain in control. So for a corner like you describe here, you want to slow down more for the 6 left, which will give you a smoother line and slower speed to hit the hairpin right that follows. There is a corner similar to what you describe on scotland, which is a 5 or 6 right followed by a 2 left, if i have remember the numbers right. So i can show you what i mean in this video that i recorded yesterday using the default tuning in the Impreza s4. It might help for you to take a look.

I would be more than happy to run the same section in a car with manual h-pattern and my wheel cam turned on for you, if you would like to see the same with that shifting configuration. Or I could run whichever stage has the corner on you mentioned, if you let me know which one it is. More than happy to help you out and show you a different way.

Edited by Ialyrn

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

If your losing control in such a way from going from a 6 left to a hairpin right, that usually means you have not anticipated the corners ahead. So you are going to hot into the 6 left, and then possibly slamming the brakes hard to hit the right hairpin. Because of this, you would violently shift all the weight forward reducing grip at the rear, while simultaneously wanting to change direction. This action usually results in loss of momentum, or even full loss of control. In racing (circuit or rally), you need to be thinking about whats coming up 3 to even 4 corners ahead, and preparing your speed and trajectory so you remain in control. So for a corner like you describe here, you want to slow down more for the 6 left, which will give you a smoother line and slower speed to hit the hairpin right that follows. There is a corner similar to what you describe on scotland, which is a 5 or 6 right followed by a 2 left, if i have remember the numbers right. So i can show you what i mean in this video that i recorded yesterday using the default tuning in the Impreza s4. It might help for you to take a look.

I would be more than happy to run the same section in a car with manual h-pattern and my wheel cam turned on for you, if you would like to see the same with that shifting configuration. Or I could run whichever stage has the corner on you mentioned, if you let me know which one it is. More than happy to help you out and show you a different way.

That's fine to say, but I don't play this game 24/7 so I haven't learned even 1/4 of the courses enough to be able to anticipate 3-4 corners ahead, these aren't road courses with 16 corners I hit 30 times in a race lol. I have to rely on stage notes from the co-driver, until I've learned a stage enough to remember when stage notes are lacking information or flat out wrong. And without playing this game as if it was a job, that's not going to happen with most stages for a long time.

This may have come off poorly, its because people who act like I should just master every stage always come off as if they think I should play only one game, and that's always irritated me. I am not that kind of person, I play 3-5 different games in any given week usually. (This week is Total War : Warhammer 2 (most played) Dirt Rally 2.0, Halo master chief collection and NASCAR heat 4, all while working a 40hr work week. so those games are broke up into short hours of play.

Either way, even if I completely master this game, my original post stands, until force feedback shifters are a thing, then you should only have to press the clutch to correct a miss shift.

Edited by DarkRedslayer

You know, ive only got 180 hours in the game myself, and ive had the game from release. Its not like i play the game religiously.