Jump to content Jump to content

FPS lock to 50fps when using my wheel

ratelaitor1

Whenever I connect my wheel (Microsoft Sidewinder FFB) the game locks to 50 fps. Usually I would get around 150 frames. I have disconnected every other peripheral yet the problem persists. VSync is off, max fps and monitor fps set to 144. Just by disconnecting the wheel i get 144fps back.

• Administrator

Hi
If you are looking to report an issue, please copy the questions from the reporting template in the below and answer

We recommend copying this and filling it out with the questions alongside it so CM staff and other users can see the problems you are having

1.       A description of the issue. Please include any error codes here. 
2.       What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen) 
3.       Game-mode? 
4.       Are you able to recreate the issue? If so, please include recreation steps on how you encountered this issue. 
5.       How often do you see this problem? Is it the only time or does it always happen? 
6.       Have you tried any troubleshooting? We recommend the steps here as a starting point for any issues. Please let us know what troubleshooting methods you have tried while creating this post. 
7.       Any accessories you are using (gamepad, wheel etc) 
8.       Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.  

Providing this information is vital for Codemasters to be able to investigate, diagnose and hopefully help solve your issue. It also helps our Moderators find appropriate tags and other members recommend their ideas based on their experiences.

Please add the questions in your post too so I can see everything in one place. Without this, I don't have the necessary information to replicate and diagnose the issue

56 minutes ago, ratelaitor1 said:

Whenever I connect my wheel (Microsoft Sidewinder FFB) the game locks to 50 fps. Usually I would get around 150 frames. I have disconnected every other peripheral yet the problem persists. VSync is off, max fps and monitor fps set to 144. Just by disconnecting the wheel i get 144fps back.

I think this might be related to device polling. You should use V-Sync with a 144Hz display as it will probably be Freesync.

The Sidewinder wheel from what I can see is 98/XP-era hardware. It may be designed for USB 1.1 and although USB is designed to be backward compatible, there are often issues.

Your dxdiag will be helpful, but if you can try using the wheel in a USB 2.0 slot on the mainboard without any kind of USB hub or adapter, that would be likely to give better results.

Depending on what other peripherals you use, moving them around to separate device hubs may yield results. If all your USBs are 3.0 you could try switching to EHCI mode rather than XHCI. This will have the effect of making all the USB ports 2.0/1.1 compatible. 

Try that and post the dxdiag. Many boards have an additional USB controller chip, so it's possible after looking at the manual I might be able to make some suggestions. Please ensure you post your mainboard name if it is not in the dxdiag.

21 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

I think this might be related to device polling. You should use V-Sync with a 144Hz display as it will probably be Freesync.

The Sidewinder wheel from what I can see is 98/XP-era hardware. It may be designed for USB 1.1 and although USB is designed to be backward compatible, there are often issues.

Your dxdiag will be helpful, but if you can try using the wheel in a USB 2.0 slot on the mainboard without any kind of USB hub or adapter, that would be likely to give better results.

Depending on what other peripherals you use, moving them around to separate device hubs may yield results. If all your USBs are 3.0 you could try switching to EHCI mode rather than XHCI. This will have the effect of making all the USB ports 2.0/1.1 compatible. 

Try that and post the dxdiag. Many boards have an additional USB controller chip, so it's possible after looking at the manual I might be able to make some suggestions. Please ensure you post your mainboard name if it is not in the dxdiag.

Im using an ASUS p8p67 B3 revision. Quite frankly I don't know what a dxdiag is. I'ts connected to the Usb 2.0 port directly to the mainboard. In other games like Assetto corsa I haven't had this problem. The ports are running EHCI as far as I know. 

2 hours ago, ratelaitor1 said:

Im using an ASUS p8p67 B3 revision. Quite frankly I don't know what a dxdiag is. I'ts connected to the Usb 2.0 port directly to the mainboard. In other games like Assetto corsa I haven't had this problem. The ports are running EHCI as far as I know. 

ASUS P8P67 B3 is quite an old motherboard. The USB 3.0 ports are clearly blue on the rear of the board and the only front USB 3.0 connector would be from the USB3_34 connector near the RAM slots. All the USB connectors at the bottom of the board are USB 2.0. USB 3.0 uses the NEC Renesas chip - you can disable it entirely for testing.

If you attest you are using only USB 2.0 then you have probably done all you can, save not plugging any other device into a matching connector. You have already said you have removed all other USB peripherals when testing.

Last UEFI BIOS rev is 3602 but uCode updates (Sandy Bridge 0x2F or Ivy Bridge 0x21) from KB4497165 if using W10 1903/1909.

Archived