AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FASTER THAN MANUAL

HI!
I would like to know about something I've been noticing in f1 2019 multiplayer: drivers using automatic transmission are achieving better performance than those using manual transmission. In all the games / simulators I've used, the use of assistance like this makes the driver a little slower, but it seems that the opposite is happening. In the championship in which I participate here in Brazil, the best placed drivers are all using automatic transmission. Is this a bug or is it purposeful?
And what about the challenge to improve the virtual drivers? And what about people who invest money in a wheel, and time training to turn off assistance and enjoy the best of the game but feel "cheated" by things like this? I would like an answer from someone in the game production about this, if possible. I'm very desapointed Thanks!

It'd be nice to hear you explanation on how it is faster, and how have you noticed it. As I currently can't see how losing the possibility of using downshifting/upshifting as your advantage in terms of car control would make you quicker.

You make claims with no testing or proof that has been shown to us at least. It makes me scared about people who will read this and instantly think it's true instead of trying it out... 😅

no way is automatic gearbox faster then manual....no way!!! especially in the braking zone and in the acceleration

• Agree 1

Depends totally on the experience of the driver, but in my opinion the manual shifter will be faster on all occasions.

Manual will always be quicker as you have more control of the car and more ways to manipulate its behaviour. 

If you are finding automatic transmission quicker for others, I'd recommend practice on manual. It can be tricky remembering all the gears needed and the perfect shift time (we have a 'suggested gear' option which can help this) but it is more beneficial on traction, acceleration and braking to use manual. 

The average player will be faster on automatic not because it's faster by default but because manual is harder to get right. Especially on a gamepad where you run out of fingers real quick.

49 minutes ago, RaceMyZaru said:

The average player will be faster on automatic not because it's faster by default but because manual is harder to get right. Especially on a gamepad where you run out of fingers real quick.

I think 'faster' is the wrong term here. They may possibly adapt to the game quicker and be more competitive against others in a shorter period of time, but that's purely because they have less to think about.

In terms of outright pace over any sort of distance, the player who can maximise the manual gears will be better off.

• Agree 2

As already mentioned this is absolutely due to the overall experience levels of the field. If you took a group of 5 year olds and let half race auto gears and half manual the manuals would still be on their first lap when the others were finishing up. If you haven't driven a stick shift in real life you are also at a disadvantage because you wouldn't understand power bands and engine torque. I would bet however that a league running a whole seasons worth of racing would notice the manual racers catching up and overtaking around half way through.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don't expect to see any of the 5 year olds reach the finishline.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

I don't expect to see any of the 5 year olds reach the finishline.

I thought the game is PEGI 3

:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

The thing about using automatic transmission in racing is that you miss the opportunity to use what gear you deem appropriate for a given scenario, whereas with manual you have that choice and also the ability to extract the maximum torque and horsepower from the engine by bring the rev-limiter as close to redline as possible, which is where the power and speed is on tap for manual transmissions. Only someone who doesn't understand the mechanics of how a cars works will make a statement like this! 

Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2020 at 5:26 PM, sloppysmusic said:

As already mentioned this is absolutely due to the overall experience levels of the field. If you took a group of 5 year olds and let half race auto gears and half manual the manuals would still be on their first lap when the others were finishing up. If you haven't driven a stick shift in real life you are also at a disadvantage because you wouldn't understand power bands and engine torque. I would bet however that a league running a whole seasons worth of racing would notice the manual racers catching up and overtaking around half way through.

I've raced in a league with wheel users and pad users. The pad users all had automatic transmission and one of them won the league. I've been racing with a wheel and manual or semi-automatic transmission for 20 years and still came in second.

Edited by janbonator

On 4/3/2020 at 5:31 PM, janbonator said:

I've raced in a league with wheel users and pad users. The pad users all had automatic transmission and one of them won the league. I've been racing with a wheel and manual or semi-automatic transmission for 20 years and still came in second.

Well thats because the pad is so much more stable and boosted people using it are gonna win without even trying. It would be interesting to see a results sheet comparing pad plus auto gears with pad plus manual. I'd like to take the bet the pad users are also using T-Cam!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'd say on average there's between a 0.3 and 0.5sec difference per lap between auto and manual gears on a pad if you can master it with ers and fuel mix. 

Edited by smudger1982

On 4/5/2020 at 10:07 AM, smudger1982 said:

I'd say on average there's between a 0.3 and 0.5sec difference per lap between auto and manual gears on a pad if you can master it with ers and fuel mix. 

So are you saying if you're a pad user auto gears is 0.3/0.5s faster or slower than manual? Plus would you say you're experienced with the game and know all the tracks well? This information could be useful thanks for sharing!

On 4/5/2020 at 4:19 PM, sloppysmusic said:

Well thats because the pad is so much more stable and boosted people using it are gonna win without even trying. It would be interesting to see a results sheet comparing pad plus auto gears with pad plus manual. I'd like to take the bet the pad users are also using T-Cam!

I agree. I'm also of the belief that the difference between manual and auto gears with a wheel is bigger than on the pad. Short-shifting becomes more important without the extra pad-grip. However, in both cases wet weather hinders the drivers on automatic gears. I'd also like to clarify that I don't think the auto gears are some sort of speed cheat or anything of the sort. Just very effective at minimizing some of the weaknesses of the pad.

Unfortunately most wheel drivers seem to go with the T-Cam as well. Who knows, maybe they'll migrate to the chase cam in a few years. 🤮 The whole game is set up against cockpit drivers. Impossible to get a consistently good camera angle as it varies so much car to car. You set up the view good for one car and won't even see the ERS bar or selected gears in another.. I'm sure you know the drill. Been like that for years and nothing changes, ever.

• Thanks 1

Just now, janbonator said:

I agree. I'm also of the belief that the difference between manual and auto gears with a wheel is bigger than on the pad. Short-shifting becomes more important without the extra pad-grip. However, in both cases wet weather hinders the drivers on automatic gears. I'd also like to clarify that I don't think the auto gears are some sort of speed cheat or anything of the sort. Just very effective at minimizing some of the weaknesses of the pad.

Unfortunately most wheel drivers seem to go with the T-Cam as well. Who knows, maybe they'll migrate to the chase cam in a few years. 🤮 The whole game is set up against cockpit drivers. Impossible to get a consistently good camera angle as it varies so much car to car. You set up the view good for one car and won't even see the ERS bar or selected gears in another.. I'm sure you know the drill. Been like that for years and nothing changes, ever.

Spot on mate. Tcam is so much of an advantage that if it's allowed in a race they you have to use it if you want to compete. Plus yes auto gears is only really a boost when you are a beginner. Doesnt take very long before manual becomes faster.

I'm a pad user using auto gears and try and compete in online league racing and there's definetly pros and cons in using auto gears. one of the cons are if your competing against an able manual gears user he/she as more flexibility in short shifting in and out of corners and producing more torque from the engine as they have the freedom of which gear they choose to be in at any given moment and in turn that can save you on ers deployment usage and stores at a better rate also (that's even more noticeable when using no traction control because your not just mashing the loud peddle as much). The 0.3-0.5 sec prediction is my opinion only through comparing my times on average to players I know that use manual shifting please don't take it as gospel @sloppysmusic. And I'd like to add I totally agree that said player SHOULD be faster as the've worked harder practicing there racecraft and should be rewarded for there efforts. Now we're it gets merky is the good old argument about a non assist wheel user and a non assist pad user again from what I've witnessed myself and is only my opinion the pad N/A user has a noticeable advantage with traction compared to the wheel N/A user ( caused i think because the pad as what as been described as in the past "built in" traction) but in turn the wheel user as better tyre wear rate due to having smoother inputs coming in and out of corners. I realise know why most wheel users see there a*se when they know there getting beat by a pad user and totally understand when they have paid £200-£300 for just a basic wheel and pedal setup against a pad that can be bought plug and play for £30-£40. 

• Agree 1