Sign in to follow this  

Tuning tips for more realistic tarmac handling

Posted (edited)

Ok guys, tarmac physics are far from perfect, so let's talk about how to fight it with tunings. First off, here is my 911 RGT tuning for Spain. Let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc0UIFsrg6g

I'm not an expert or anything, just trying to use what I learned from other sims. It seems like the most important settings are differential and springs. I think the key is to make the car understeery, as to get rid of that horrible sideways sliding, but not so that it becomes undriveable. FWD cars feel fine on tarmac, but I bet they too can be improved with tuning. Some AWD cars also feel ok. It's RWD cars that suffer the most here.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by danielofifi

Yes, that looks right, only the front spring rate would not have been adjusted so hard, because that doesn't look normal.

The rear anti-roll bar can be adjusted a little softer.

2 hours ago, PaulNbg said:

Yes, that looks right, only the front spring rate would not have been adjusted so hard, because that doesn't look normal.

The rear anti-roll bar can be adjusted a little softer.

I too was surprised at some values during testing, but this is the combination that makes the car feel good to me. But feel free to experiment, maybe it can be improved.

21 hours ago, danielofifi said:

It's RWD cars that suffer the most here.

RWD cars slip and oversteer even in reality if you accelerate too much, especially on tarmac. On gravel the rear tyres dig a slight rut in which they get some grip.

FWD cars can oversteer if you stop accelerating (downshift) and steer too much.

2 hours ago, PaulNbg said:

RWD cars slip and oversteer even in reality if you accelerate too much, especially on tarmac. On gravel the rear tyres dig a slight rut in which they get some grip.

I know this, but because oversteer on tarmac is weird in DR2, I find it's best to avoid as much as possible. Besides, drifting on tarmac only makes you lose time. At least in reality, not sure about DR2.

I can not get competitive in the fast tarmac sections. I am using an R2 208, can set stage winning times on twisty sections but just have no confidence on the fast sections, the lift off oversteer is just ridiculous. Am using GTR technical set-ups which in tarmac just don't suit my driving style! Any suggestions on how to dial out at least some of the lift-off oversteer?

PS I have tried not lifting off, and I just crash hence the nervousness!

20 hours ago, onabike said:

I can not get competitive in the fast tarmac sections. I am using an R2 208, can set stage winning times on twisty sections but just have no confidence on the fast sections, the lift off oversteer is just ridiculous. Am using GTR technical set-ups which in tarmac just don't suit my driving style! Any suggestions on how to dial out at least some of the lift-off oversteer?

PS I have tried not lifting off, and I just crash hence the nervousness!

Well there are many ways. Toe in and more negative camber on the rear would be a first thing to try. 

Fiddling with the rear suspension settings can also be useful, but that's a bit tricky. A bit softer dampers usually gives more grip, but can make it unstable instead.

@onabike

more negative camber on the rear. less antiroll bar on the rear. Reduce slow bump in the rear and possibly also the spring rate in the rear. (for the front the reverse way is possible.)

Make sure that the rear brakes do not lock. Also change the setting.