Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×
Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×

F1 2019 doesn't launch at all

Posted (edited)

I just bought and installed the latest version of F1 2019 from Steam and when I tried to play the game, it doesn't launch at all. I open up the Steam "main page", go to my "Library", scroll down to "F1 2019", click on "PLAY", and a dialog box pops up for me to select either DX11 or DX12 version(attached file "pg1"). Since I'm on Windows 8.1, I select DX11 and then Steam shows the game status on the left panel as "F1 2019 - Running"(attached file "pg2"), then a few seconds later it just stops. No game launch, no start screen, nothing. On the Steam "main page", it just looks as if I've just installed the game and it's not running at the moment(attached file "pg3"). The game status shows I last played it "Today", and I played it for one minute. Attached pic file shows 2 minutes cos I tried to launch it a few times and the run times cumulatively became two minutes.

My dxdiag file is as attached.

DxDiag.txt

pg1.jpg

pg2.jpg

pg3.jpg

Edited by UP100
Added 'solved' prefix

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

@steviejay69, can you have a look at the included dxdiag file and share your wishdom.

@manutd1972 are you running from an Administrator account rather than a Standard account?

I will look at the dxdiag but my first suggestion / request is that you ditch Windows 8.1 for Windows 10. Like it or not, 8.1 is a cul-de-sac, it is on life support. 

Get the MCT and upgrade for free.

Ugh, after looking at the dxdiag, most of the drivers are from 2014, because that is the build era of that machine. Just....no. Reasonable CPU on a budget board in a mediocre system with a fairly hamstrung GPU. OK for internet and word processing for years to come, but gaming? No.

Edited by steviejay69
Please upgrade to W10, that's it.

6 hours ago, manolavelle said:

@manutd1972

I was able to fix my issue with this.

This is unlikely a fix for many. The most probable issue is the 445.75 to be replaced with 442.74.

So I managed to upgrade my Windows to Win 10 and the game did launch, but I encountered new issues with it.

During gameplay, most of the time it would be fine except sometimes the "labels" indicating which keyboard character to press to select items would be missing. For eg, F5 and F6 to move between tabs, "Enter" to advance etc......the F5 and F6 or "Enter" would be missing from the screen. Doesn't happen all the time, but it does occur quite frequently.

But the more regularly issue happens when I go to replay the highlights. The highlights run fine, I can scroll between drivers and views, but when it reaches the end, I can't use "Esc" to exit the replay and go back to the session advance screen. The game doesn't appear to have hung but none of the keys work. I have exit the game entirely using Task Manager and then restart the game.

I do notice a "Report Code" at the bottom left corner, and it says "RKMG-SMPK-AEBH-SDEE".

2 hours ago, manutd1972 said:

So I managed to upgrade my Windows to Win 10 and the game did launch, but I encountered new issues with it.

During gameplay, most of the time it would be fine except sometimes the "labels" indicating which keyboard character to press to select items would be missing. For eg, F5 and F6 to move between tabs, "Enter" to advance etc......the F5 and F6 or "Enter" would be missing from the screen. Doesn't happen all the time, but it does occur quite frequently.

But the more regularly issue happens when I go to replay the highlights. The highlights run fine, I can scroll between drivers and views, but when it reaches the end, I can't use "Esc" to exit the replay and go back to the session advance screen. The game doesn't appear to have hung but none of the keys work. I have exit the game entirely using Task Manager and then restart the game.

I do notice a "Report Code" at the bottom left corner, and it says "RKMG-SMPK-AEBH-SDEE".

What is the 'Realtek Bluetooth A/V Remote Control Target Device' in your dxdiag?

Generally if you press keyboard the game keeps the keys labelled. If you use another input device, they switch.

12 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

What is the 'Realtek Bluetooth A/V Remote Control Target Device' in your dxdiag?

Generally if you press keyboard the game keeps the keys labelled. If you use another input device, they switch.

I'm not sure, but it's probably related to the pc's bluetooth adapter and my bluetooth headphone. I tried disabling the bluetooth driver and obviously I can't use my headphone after that. Need it cos the current headphone cable is super short and gets in the way. Probably can work around it in due time.

I don't have any other input devices apart from the usual keyboard and mouse. I use a Logitech wheel, but only to play the game.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, manutd1972 said:

I ran another dxdiag after disabling the bluetooth adapter and this is what I got.

DxDiag2.txt

OK. You are still running 445.75 which we have flagged as being problematic.

Logitech Gaming software 5.10 is the latest for your wheel. Switching between wheel and keyboard will leave the buttons relabelled and/or possibly missing mappings. Not sure if MOMO is on the official support list (you should check).

There are a couple of crashes due to tools linked to cracked games. A clean installation of Windows 10 now you have the digital licence might solve a hatful of minor and major issues.

2 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

OK. You are still running 445.75 which we have flagged as being problematic.

Logitech Gaming software 5.10 is the latest for your wheel. Switching between wheel and keyboard will leave the buttons relabelled and/or possibly missing mappings. Not sure if MOMO is on the official support list (you should check).

There are a couple of crashes due to tools linked to cracked games. A clean installation of Windows 10 now you have the digital licence might solve a hatful of minor and major issues.

Yup, already using Logitech Gaming software 5.10.

Clean install of Win 10? How do I do that? Rerun the "MediaCreationTool1909" again?

Yup, already using Logitech Gaming software 5.10.

Clean install of Win 10? How do I do that? Rerun the "MediaCreationTool1909" again?

Yeah but you create the bootable media on a USB then boot from it from the Advanced Restart menu.

Back **** up first.

On 4/10/2020 at 3:41 AM, steviejay69 said:

Yeah but you create the bootable media on a USB then boot from it from the Advanced Restart menu.

Back **** up first.

Hmm....so I run "MediaCreationTool" again but this time, I use it to create a bootable media and then boot my PC from this media, yea? Question: in this case, can I take out the HDD, put it into a new PC build and boot this new build using the media and thus install Windows 10 on that new build? Of cos I won't have any OS on the current PC after that. Does it work this way? I'm just toying with the idea of upgrading to a new build but not keen to spend money on another Win10 if I can transfer this one over.

As for my current issue, I most likely would have to live with it as I don't have another HDD to back up my current HDD to. I've always wondered how you tech experts do backups, and what you actually mean when you say backup. I mean, if it's a total backup of all current files, then wouldn't you need HDD space that's equal to what your current files occupy? Or if you use a backup program, you'd still need a 2nd HDD(albeit of a smaller capacity) to hold the compressed files from the original HDD, wouldn't you? Physically, I have only 1 HDD now, partition into "C" and "D" drive. Not much free space left on either partition, 60GB of 149GB on C and 144GB of 764GB on D. How do I perform a backup with this? Can it still be done?

As for the game, as said earlier, the game now runs with Win10. I just can't perform "Flashbacks" on track or play "Replays" after a race. I can select them, I can run them, I can scroll between camera views and different drivers, I can activate "Photo capture",  but I can't FF, RW, or Exit via "ESC". And once it reaches the end of the "film", the game just stays at that screen. Only way to exit is "Ctrl-Alt-Del". Playing "Highlights" work though. I didn't try any of the commands during "Highlights" but at the end, the game will auto-exit and go back to the race end screen. And I also can't skip any of the cinematic scenes before practise, qualifying and race. I have to let it play out. Baffling to me. But at least I can drive and play career mode. Didn't try multiplayer though. I'm not good enough.

As for the game, as said earlier, the game now runs with Win10. I just can't perform "Flashbacks" on track or play "Replays" after a race. I can select them, I can run them, I can scroll between camera views and different drivers, I can activate "Photo capture",  but I can't FF, RW, or Exit via "ESC". And once it reaches the end of the "film", the game just stays at that screen. Only way to exit is "Ctrl-Alt-Del". Playing "Highlights" work though. I didn't try any of the commands during "Highlights" but at the end, the game will auto-exit and go back to the race end screen. And I also can't skip any of the cinematic scenes before practise, qualifying and race. I have to let it play out. Baffling to me. But at least I can drive and play career mode. Didn't try multiplayer though. I'm not good enough.

The keys can be annoying. It does not sound like your game is freezing, it just sounds like the typical behaviour of the game. It works like this (as steviejay69 already mentioned)- the keys / buttons you need to use change depending on whether you hit a key on your keyboard or on a controller. So, I recommend you start the game and go into the controls menu, change the controls to ones you want to use. In particular, make sure you know where the pause key is. The pause key takes you out to a pause menu where you can exit, replay, change controls etc. So once you know this button, you should be able to do the things that seem to not be working.

(It has happened to me in the past - I spent ages pressing every key, or so I thought, but couldn't get it to exit, until I learnt to use the pause key).

I hope I've described that right, bottom line is, I don't think your game is locking or broken, you just need to find the right keys.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Hmm....so I run "MediaCreationTool" again but this time, I use it to create a bootable media and then boot my PC from this media, yea? Question: in this case, can I take out the HDD, put it into a new PC build and boot this new build using the media and thus install Windows 10 on that new build? Of cos I won't have any OS on the current PC after that. Does it work this way? I'm just toying with the idea of upgrading to a new build but not keen to spend money on another Win10 if I can transfer this one over.

As for my current issue, I most likely would have to live with it as I don't have another HDD to back up my current HDD to. I've always wondered how you tech experts do backups, and what you actually mean when you say backup. I mean, if it's a total backup of all current files, then wouldn't you need HDD space that's equal to what your current files occupy? Or if you use a backup program, you'd still need a 2nd HDD(albeit of a smaller capacity) to hold the compressed files from the original HDD, wouldn't you? Physically, I have only 1 HDD now, partition into "C" and "D" drive. Not much free space left on either partition, 60GB of 149GB on C and 144GB of 764GB on D. How do I perform a backup with this? Can it still be done?

No. Your Windows license is for one PC, perhaps even more restrictive if the license is OEM, which means it stays on the one PC. If you bought a retail license then it can be transferred to another PC but must only be activated on one machine at a time. The digital license derived from the key would be invalidated on a second machine if OEM or on the older machine if activated and current on another if retail.

You can upgrade an OEM PC but activation will be prohibited once significant changes to the hardware determine the machine is different. The hashes used to make the digital license are derived from the Product Key SKU, the hardware ID of the computer and a third hash derived from the other two at the point of activation (and subsequent reactivation).

Backup, yes, ideally you will have sufficient capacity on a backup drive to contain an image of your system drive plus shadow copies of the data on your data drives. So, inevitably having a larger backup drive is likely to serve you better than one of an equal capacity or less, depending on the frequency of images (whether full, incremental or differential) plus the number of active copies of the data.

Partition backups are subject to total loss, unless you have two physical drives then your backups will not survive a hardware failure. At least a portion of a secondary drive should be dedicated to backup, but then also any additional data on that drive should be backed up elsewhere. You can restore a corrupt installation or reinstall a partition without deleting the entire drive contents. You can use cloud to back up, you effectively could argue you can recover the Windows environment from a USB stick , provided it's created from the working machine if its created before the machine fails.

The flash back issue is likely to be a mapping conflict although it has to be said this was an observed bug in this and previous versions of the game. Searching the forum may reveal more accurate information.

Edited by steviejay69
Physical backup drive question addressed

If you're interested, I have a primary 512GB SSD that holds my games and files. A 750GB SSHD drive is used to hold installers, images and Steam backups, plus File History (when I'm bothered). I have a 2GB 7200 HDD drive to dump videos on that I haven't yet uploaded or decided if I'm going to. Once they're on YT, I delete them but then they don't take up space on the primary (where I record to because it's fastest).

1 hour ago, manutd1972 said:

Wow....that's a lot of drives and capacity.....but I like the segregation. Too bad my current situation doesn't allow for my ideal setup. Would love to be able to do a new PC build that can play the latest AAA games at high graphics setting, has a SSD for the OS and games, HDD for everything else, and another HDD on a RAID 1 setting to mirror backup those 2 drives, if that's technically possible. Need to save for a new steering wheel now cos one of the shift paddles internal switch is broken. I drive AUTO now, instead of manual....bummer.

In any case, my issue with the game has more or less been resolved just with upgrading to Win 10, so if the moderators want to, they can go ahead and close this thread. Thanks to all who contributed to the solution.

Using W8.1 is a road of pain, so glad you decided to make the jump!

Posted (edited)

Are there any fixes yet for game not starting? I've been strugling for 4 days to get this game working and no luck and also no help from codemasters.

I've tried installing all versions of Nvidia drivers, tried reinstalling the game 5 times, updated windows and all drivers.

My PC is:

Intel i5 4670

EVGA Geforce 1060 6GB

8GB ram

Windows 10 64bit

Anyone please? This is crazy... you pay for something and doesn't work at all...

Edited by GregaS87

Could you post a DXDiag file so @steviejay69 can have a look at it. Reading only this post should give you a clue what’s needed for some one to come to the rescue.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

Could you post a DXDiag file so @steviejay69 can have a look at it. Reading only this post should give you a clue what’s needed for some one to come to the rescue.

He should tag me if he does post.

IDK, I need to play the game more. Less support, more play. I reckon support for this title needs to scale down from me. I'd like to keep myself open for other options.

I'll support people I've started with, but this is a tailgating post. And also if they follow the posting guidelines I'd be more inclined to assist. 

Edited by steviejay69