Jump to content Jump to content

[PC] [F1 2019]First gear won't engage at race start/pit stops when a gear is engaged on unused shifter (Logitech G29)

L3g3nd99

Hi guys,

I want to share some kind of bug I've discovered a few days ago. I'm playing F1 2019 in the latest version (1.22) with a Logitech G29. I do have the Logitech Shifter connected to the wheelbase but there's nothing assigned in my controls for it. No gears, not even the clutch pedal (didn't drive the classic cars with manual gears yet). After playing a bit of ACC it started up F1 2019 wanting to practice a bit bevore a league race. All driving assists are turned off.

I started a quick race and when the race began I obviously pressed and held my upshift paddle for 1st gear to be engaged during starting procedure but it stayed in neutral. That meant I had to manually shift into 1st after the lights went out. Not having a lot of time bevore the league event I quickly restarted the game and reset the steering settings to default. Unfortunately when the league race in Baku started, the same thing happened. During pit stops holding the upshift paddle/clutch and then releasing it to get going again didn't work at all. It took multiple attemps and I'm not sure wether after a few attempts it worked or the game releases you automatically after some time.

Now here's the thing:

After a frustrating race I unmounted the wheel from my table and noticed that my shifter wasn't in neutral. I then mounted the wheel again, started the game and put the shifter in neutral. That did the trick. When holding the upshift paddle pressed, 1st gear engaged again. As soon as I put the shifter into any gear it stopped working as before.

That means, even if there's no assignments for a clutch pedal and the shifter in the control settings, it seems to interfer with the game in some way.

It isn't some kind of game breaking bug but if I hadn't noticed the shifter right away it might have taken me quite some time to figure out.

It seems to me that this has nothing to do with the game, but more with Logitech hardware. Just check before the race if your shifter is in neutral position; problem solved. Even without assigning anything to a device, it's connected. I have a similar configuration (other brand) and didn't assign anything to my shifter but when I put it in gear the game responds. Good thing is that I can see which gear is selected on my shifter.

1 hour ago, 1512marcel said:

It seems to me that this has nothing to do with the game, but more with Logitech hardware. Just check before the race if your shifter is in neutral position; problem solved. Even without assigning anything to a device, it's connected. I have a similar configuration (other brand) and didn't assign anything to my shifter but when I put it in gear the game responds. Good thing is that I can see which gear is selected on my shifter.

Thanks for the quick response! You are absolutely right! It's a super easy "fix" and also not the reason why I posted it. I posted it just for info so people with similar issues might find it 🙂

I can see if the shifter is in gear or not quite easy aswell but I had unmounted it before starting the session...

This applies to controllers too. If a controller can be used in the game control schema, it's input is registered. Analog(ue) sticks on console pads are notoriously jittery on raw inputs, so when you complain of your wheel veering hard left or right or the view being off it is your controller registering in game.

Unwanted or unused peripheral controllers can be disconnected.

e.g. if you don't use the shifter you can disconnect it. If you don't use the pedals they can be disconnected (I use a T300 with Fanatec pedals, nothing registers on the pedal inputs of the T300 because the pedals are in the box - and I used Logitechs before that).

Archived