DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

New GOTY player, looking for tips

I'm new here so first off, I'd like to apologize for inadvertently slapping the faces of the long-time players.  I have never owned any Codemasters products before so didn't know the backstory of DR2.  It was only by sheer coincidence that I got the envie to buy a new rally sim the very same day that DR2 GOTY came out.  And it was on sale for 50% off on Steam.  So basically, I paid $30 to get what the original customers had to pay 2-3x that much for over the past year due to CM's shameful hiding of basic core content behind DLC paywalls.  I do not at all condone this behavior from publishers and if I'd known this beforehand, I would not have bought DR2.  I am sure my story just rubs salt in the wounds of long-time players and I'm very sorry for that.  But it was an accident, I swear, if that makes you feel any better.

With that out of the way, I'd like to thank @SkyRex for his wonderful tutorial videos.  They've really helped me a lot and I hope he continues with them.  Also, quite a few others on YouTube who have provided quite useful info, too numerous to list.  I hope that the folks in this forum will also help me when I inevitably need it, despite me being a damn GOTY-buyer 😄

• Like 1

Doesn't matter when you join, you're still a DiRT player, so welcome 🙂 

• Agree 1

The DLC structure was odd, and didnt leave the nicest of tastes. But its all good at this point. Welcome to the game and the forums.

39 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

The DLC structure was odd, and didnt leave the nicest of tastes. But its all good at this point. Welcome to the game and the forums.

I thought it to be more than reasonable. I'd rather have the choice to buy reworked/updated versions of cars and stages from DR than have the same ones in the base game and paying for new ones. Buying the DLC is completely up to the person and isn't forced on you for any reason. That's a decent way of doing it in my book.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

I thought it to be more than reasonable. I'd rather have the choice to buy reworked/updated versions of cars and stages from DR than have the same ones in the base game and paying for new ones. Buying the DLC is completely up to the person and isn't forced on you for any reason. That's a decent way of doing it in my book.

Thats why its all good for me at this point, as the old stages from DR1 are improved for DR2.0. So it stung at the initial time finding out they was reselling those old stages via DLC, but not so much now after having played them. For the sake of a complete game, I preordered the deluxe edition, and bought season 3+4 pack when it released. So even though it did sting a little at the time, I still wanted that content in DR2.0.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome!  I'm glad I'm not an instant pariah 😉  I look forward to learning much form the experienced players.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BayouRally said:

Thanks for the welcome!  I'm glad I'm not an instant pariah 😉  I look forward to learning much form the experienced players.

If you are using a wheel by the way, you may find this video useful. It shows the process of calibrating the wheel in game, which allows you to use "softlock" instead of setting a manual wheel rotation. If you have a wheel and use soft lock, you want your wheel hardware set to its maximum rotation setting. I use a T300, so I have mine set to 1080° of rotation.

I also have a video talking about the process I use for learning new stages, which I thought could be useful with Scotland recently releasing. But been a new player to Dirt Rally 2.0, you may also find it useful.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ialyrn said:

If you are using a wheel by the way, you may find this video useful. It shows the process of calibrating the wheel in game, which allows you to use "softlock" instead of setting a manual wheel rotation. If you have a wheel and use soft lock, you want your wheel hardware set to its maximum rotation setting. I use a T300, so I have mine set to 1080° of rotation.

I also have a video talking about the process I use for learning new stages, which I thought could be useful with Scotland recently releasing. But been a new player to Dirt Rally 2.0, you may also find it useful.

I will definitely find those useful as I have a T300 and ALL stages are new to me 😉

Merci beaucoup!

LATER:  Yup, very helpful.  Thanks again, and subscribed.

Edited by BayouRally
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, BayouRally said:

I will definitely find those useful as I have a T300 and ALL stages are new to me 😉

Merci beaucoup!

LATER:  Yup, very helpful.  Thanks again, and subscribed.

Glad they helped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BayouRally said:

The DiRT Rally fans are a nice bunch most of the time 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

also, keep in mind that many of us have put hundreds (some even thousands) of hours into this game during its first year after release. that doesn't come free. 🙂

Edited by ianism
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2020 at 1:39 PM, BayouRally said:

I'm new here so first off, I'd like to apologize for inadvertently slapping the faces of the long-time players.  I have never owned any Codemasters products before so didn't know the backstory of DR2.  It was only by sheer coincidence that I got the envie to buy a new rally sim the very same day that DR2 GOTY came out.  And it was on sale for 50% off on Steam.  So basically, I paid $30 to get what the original customers had to pay 2-3x that much for over the past year due to CM's shameful hiding of basic core content behind DLC paywalls.  I do not at all condone this behavior from publishers and if I'd known this beforehand, I would not have bought DR2.  I am sure my story just rubs salt in the wounds of long-time players and I'm very sorry for that.  But it was an accident, I swear, if that makes you feel any better.

With that out of the way, I'd like to thank @SkyRex for his wonderful tutorial videos.  They've really helped me a lot and I hope he continues with them.  Also, quite a few others on YouTube who have provided quite useful info, too numerous to list.  I hope that the folks in this forum will also help me when I inevitably need it, despite me being a damn GOTY-buyer 😄

Glad to have you on board. No need to apologise for getting a good deal!

I can't claim to be anywhere near as good as the players on here, but I do know what it's like to struggle early on and learn how to get better. Don't be too disheartened if you're not doing very well early on. Focus on being able to complete stages without crashing or spinning and how to maintain control of cars. Once you feel comfortable, then start upping your speed. 

Edited by WestHam66
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, WestHam66 said:

I can't claim to be anywhere near as good as the players on here, but I do know what it's like to struggle early on and learn how to get better. Don't be too disheartened if you're not doing very well early on. Focus on being able to complete stages without crashing or spinning and how to maintain control of cars. Once you feel comfortable, then start upping your speed. 

On 4/3/2020 at 4:25 PM, ianism said:

also, keep in mind that many of us have put hundreds (some even thousands) of hours into this game during its first year after release. that doesn't come free. 🙂

Yup, this is exactly what I was hoping for in this game.  I wanted something that requires mastering difficult skills that have a good basis in the real world.  So, I expect to suck for quite a while and count myself fortunate just to complete stages without major disasters.  Speed can come later.

I did MMO combat flightsims for over a decade so eventually got quite good at that, but it was a brutal learning experience the 1st few years.  It required LOTS of time and practice (and thus money, first by the hour, then by the month) to get anywhere near good.  So I've been down this road before and have realistic expectations based on my current utter lack of skill,  The good part is, at least nobody's shooting at me in DR2 😄