Sign in to follow this  

GRID Autosport // Online Racing & Vehicle Progression

Multiplayer, as ever, is a huge focus for us and today we’re going to take a look at what we’re confident is our deepest and most rewarding multiplayer game yet.  

To deliver the depth and longevity that we want you to enjoy from the online multiplayer side of the game, we’ve created a separate progression system that is distinct from the Career. However, the structure is similar to what you will find throughout the rest of the game – five Disciplines of racing, each providing a distinct experience, but now with the added challenge of going wheel-to-wheel with other players from around the world.

There are a lot of features that we are excited to tell you about, like Playlists, Custom Cups, RaceNet Challenge and many more, but for the moment we’d like to focus on two important cornerstones that set the scene for the whole of GRID Autosport’s Multiplayer experience – the cars, and the racing.

@Loore If I understood correctly, the player starts in the multiplayer events with "loan cars" until he/she is able to afford his/her own car and start to build a relation with it?

Sounds great. One question: Will there be some sort of Hardcore Playlist like Grid 2's again? :) I found that to be my favorite way to leveling up.

P308R said:
@Loore If I understood correctly, the player starts in the multiplayer events with "loan cars" until he/she is able to afford his/her own car and start to build a relation with it?

Yes :)

@KingOfTheCakes

No plans for a hardcore playlist right now.

Dont you forget to include this baby:

AP2
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/HondaS2000-007.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/HondaS2000-002.jpg

AP1
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/Ap1s2000.JPG
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff305/eric-koo/S2000%20-%20Oct%204%202009/IMG_9453.jpg

Cockpit (in case you include cockpit view in this game):

AP1 speedometer would be lovely
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bP5ycDN2zz8/UFaoqbWICLI/AAAAAAAACWs/VgeyYklFTh8/s1600/3.jpg

But if you stick with the AP2 here it is:
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=viewimage&img=421745

As for the rest of the interior, i guess this image speaks for itself:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/HondaS2000-006.jpg
Oh and please, keep the wheeling steer on the left side or if you want to include left side then make it switchable.

GRID 2 had Honda S2000 AP2 and this car is tanned for these kind of tracks you are featuring in GRID Autosport.
I personally like the AP1 better than the AP2. Why? Simply because of these 2 points:

1. Redline is on 9k rpm.
2. I have a personal taste for the AP1 headlights and tail lights. On this one perhaps you could let people mod the lights to their flavour, i dont really know how the car upgrades will work but just in case you feature cosmetic mods this is a good idea for this car.

I must say I have tried GRID 2 at my cousin's and I only didnt buy the game because at that moment i didnt have a computer capable of running the game above 30 fps with all settings on low. The game was very good and more importantly, the S2000 was there of course :P

Best of luck with the development, I know you will do your best and I can't complain with your racing games so far. The first game I had from you was Colin Mcrae Rally 2.0 and I bought all its successors (until Dirt series) and had a good time, so I know you're good at making these games. I already had the opportunity to share with the community how I pitty the fact that you dont have the WRC licenses because in my opinion I'm sure you would do a way better game than the current developers who hold the licenses (im not saying their latest game is bad, but yours would be better :P).

Best Regards,
Diablosrouge

Sounding all nice and stuff, but... there are still some questions. ^^

1. It sounds to me, like tuning in multiplayer is possible. How should that improve the experience? Honestly, when I drive online, I want to compete on absolute identical levels. Winning with a better car is, simply put, ridiculous. Bad enough, we have to experience that in real world racing, like Formula 1. I don't wanna know before start who's gonna win.
And from my experience with maaaaany hours of online racing in GRID1, one with the 'wrong' car simply loses, if the competition is close. For instance the BMW in Touring Cars... hat no chance against the Lacetti.

2. Will the cars be balanced? As mentioned above, a 2% difference in close competition means losing, no matter what. And seeing everyone on the same car after some time would be sad, too.

3. Is the slipstream gone?! I don't know about GRID2, played it 5 minutes, but back in G1 it was way too strong. Someone in front had no chance of escaping and some less good folks had no problem flollowing, als long as they kept their minimum distance. On the other hand, if you lost contact to the front group, there was no chance you could ever catch them again, as they simply drove 1-2secs faster a lap.

4. Penalties...
Will there be a rating system, that instantly shows, if someone can't behave on track?
I just remember the rating-pie for the pay-drivers in GRID. Something like that would be sooo amazing and way better than a simple 'drove 400 races, won 50, 10 totals'... that says nothing about a player.
But things like...
-  'car control', taking into account how well you drive round a track and how often you put yourself into a wall
- 'speed' - is this a good driver or an average guy? Wins, fastest laps, consistency
- 'agressiveness/histility' - rating, how you behave with others, meaning how does the other car look like, after you (tried to) pass(ed) him
extra category for stupid driving... wrong way, hitting others while way above average speed etc.

That would REALLY help in finding players that suit your style. If there's a plain xp-system, I guess, with enough time everyone will end up at a high level and this again says nothing at all.

5. last thing - NoCollision
Again, don't know about GRID2... In GRID it was unplayable, if you drove cockpit or bumper view. The others cars weren't transparent, so while driving 'on' them, you've seen nothing but the inside of their car. At least 5 totals on that account on my side.

Well, that was my 5 cents... if any of that makes it into the game, I'd be glad! :D

Photo

1) Tuning is available in multiplayer but it's not going to magically give someone a two second lead over you. Instead it's more about setting up a car to handle just how you like, to suit your driving style. There may be some performance gain but this should be negligible.

2) Yes, the team have put a lot of effort into balancing the cars.

3) No, slip stream is there and yes it does make a difference.

4) Impact rating is there which gives you an idea of how many collisions a player has been involved in.

5) You can turn collisions on and off in custom cups 

:)