Sign in to follow this  

No-Assists Learning Process

Hey guys, I need some help.

So, I used to play F1 games with a XBOX Joystick, therefore I raced with brakes and gears assists on. Probably tomorrow, my Logitech G29 will arrive and I intend to start playing without these assists. Does anyone have any tips to make the learning process of playing no-assists and playing with a wheel easier and/or better? I'm used to playing with a joystick for almost 7 years now, always only concerned about turning the car, and I have totally no idea how it will gonna be when I change.

P.S.: I'm already familiar with no traction control.

DRIVING AIDS:

brakes, ABS, TC, Racing Line, Gearbox, Pit Assist, ERS

so my in my opinio is the best way to learn to driving without assists is:

1. you should turn off the brake assistant, makes no sense to play with it.

2. Start with Automatic Gearbox, ABS on, TC to medium, ERS to Auto first...

3. If you feel comfortable then try to learn ERS Mode to manage manuel.

4. Next step would be Gearbox, if you mange this...

5. you could turn off ABS as last one.

Racing Line and Pit Assist is not necessary to talk about.

• Agree 1

I've gone up one level from beginner to medium assisted braking.  I think I'll be going to no brake assistance next.  

I did try the manual gears, but it threw my braking off totally which is why I'm going to no brake assistance next.  

Would be cool to see how you get on.

One fact you might find useful is that when I was learning manual braking I noticed even I broke too hard and locked the wheels up as long as I was on a straight and not a turn it took the SAME distance to stop as if I had not locked the brakes and I still stopped in a straight line. In the real world slight imbalances in the car and minor differences like the wheels locking up at slightly different times almost always result in the car losing control and the rear spinning round pointing you in the wrong direction. The game doesn't model flat spots so while you are learning no ABS you don't need to worry about locking the wheels while you are learning.

Also, I don't mean to be pedantic but the tcam view is undoubtedly the biggest assist if all as it gives you a huge advantage in track visibility. This doesn't matter too much once you've learned the tracks inside out. I'm just mentioning it as when I started using the wheel myself and other view than cockpit looked silly as I wanted to see what the drivers see.

Best tip I can give to anyone dropping the unrealistic and banned assists is not to worry about being uncompetitive for a while. Just go out and have fun in practice! It's a major blast realizing that you are finally responsible for massive amounts of power in a stupidly overpowerful lightweight vehicle. Expect to spin out a lot, pick the wrong gears (or neutral argh!), make some cool lock up screeches, powerslides and close up wall interactions while learning. Muscle memory will kick in before long if you relax and don't get too tense. After all you can't actually get injured or run up huge repair bills in the game!

if you have a few buddies who also have wheels or are learning no assists you could start up a no assists league and have some fun learning together, as well as guaranteed hilarity in the process.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Lots of good advice here already. Mine is more personalized as I noticed you will be playing with the G29. The default force feedback settings in the game for the G29 are breathtakingly atrocious. Setting up the FFB will give you better car control, reduce your hand injuries and improve your quality of life. What constitute as good settings is in the loose void of "personal preference", but I can pretty much guarantee the default ones won't cut it. I'd suggest doing a major scale down to overall FFB strength and off-track effects and increase your wheel weight to compensate. I prefer a heavy wheel that still doesn't rip your wrists off when you hit a kerb or gravel. I know many others prefer a light wheel, so just try different things and see what works for you. Changing the wheel rotation degree will probably also be a good choice, especially when switching from the pad, which allows instant full-lock movements unlike a wheel.

Don't know if this is useful at all but the way I did it was to just turn off everything the second I got into racing and racing games. I just remember thinking "I'll have to do it eventually anyway"

I guess this "method" can be hard if you have played a long time with assists, but for me that was the easiest route. I don't even remember ever learning to drive without assists. It was all fresh and I wasn't being tricked by my muscle memory (which in my opinion is the number 1 hardest obstacle to get over when learning to drive without assists) or the fact that how differently you have to drive without assists.

I imagine turning off assists one by one can be helpful but I wouldn't get too comfortable every time you turn off one assist. As soon as you learn how to drive without one assist (for example abs), just turn off the next assist and once you start to understand that, turn off the next assist etc. etc.

Just remember to have fun and if something is too difficult, try a different approach. Last tip would be just doing lots of laps aka practice. Don't try to aim for lap time set by you previously when you were still using assists or by someone else, just do clean laps one after another.

A tip for G29 users. If you haven't already PLEASE try switching the brake lever for the clutch lever (which you don't use in F1). The travel is much further and it's way more sensitive. Also switch to left foot braking at the same time. You will need to insert foam behind the lever (there are more advanced internal mods you can add but this is simplest!) so it gives you more resistance but that's it. My mind was blown away by doing this at age 55 (the foot swap) and mastered it in a few hours, easily surpassing right foot braking as your feet always stay on the pedals and you can also of course brake and accelerate at the same time, I major handling boost in corners. The pedal swap without using ABS meant my maximum brake pressure went from 65/70 to 95/100. Mexico was the one track I actually used 100 on for the first straight especially. All that extra travel meant so much more delicate braking instead of stomp and hope.

47 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

A tip for G29 users. If you haven't already PLEASE try switching the brake lever for the clutch lever (which you don't use in F1). The travel is much further and it's way more sensitive. Also switch to left foot braking at the same time. You will need to insert foam behind the lever (there are more advanced internal mods you can add but this is simplest!) so it gives you more resistance but that's it. My mind was blown away by doing this at age 55 (the foot swap) and mastered it in a few hours, easily surpassing right foot braking as your feet always stay on the pedals and you can also of course brake and accelerate at the same time, I major handling boost in corners. The pedal swap without using ABS meant my maximum brake pressure went from 65/70 to 95/100. Mexico was the one track I actually used 100 on for the first straight especially. All that extra travel meant so much more delicate braking instead of stomp and hope.

That's pretty interesting. How easy / fast is it to add and remove the foam fix? I need the clutch in Dirt Rally for example, so I won't bother to try unless it's a very quick fix. In rallying you sometimes need all three pedals simultaneously. As it is, the clutch is way too loose for a brake pedal in my taste. I've been using left-foot braking since I got my first wheel set as a kid. My IRL driving instructor was splitting his hair trying to get me out of the habit when I first started driving a real car. :classic_biggrin:

12 hours ago, janbonator said:

That's pretty interesting. How easy / fast is it to add and remove the foam fix? I need the clutch in Dirt Rally for example, so I won't bother to try unless it's a very quick fix. In rallying you sometimes need all three pedals simultaneously. As it is, the clutch is way too loose for a brake pedal in my taste. I've been using left-foot braking since I got my first wheel set as a kid. My IRL driving instructor was splitting his hair trying to get me out of the habit when I first started driving a real car. :classic_biggrin:

Takes about 3 or 4 seconds at most. I might take a photo and show it but I use the dark Grey /green packing foam torn up into a piece a couple of inches cubed. Then just wedge it behind the pedal which is too loose as you say for any purpose really. You could just leave it there when playing DR I guess. I will say that I put it there a year ago and despite running the full length season of f1 2019 and a couple hundred hours of pcars 2 it has not called out or needed adjustment. That's why I preferred to do the external fix which would be quick to undo although I've never needed to remove it anyway.

• Thanks 1

On 07/04/2020 at 10:19, sloppysmusic said:

Leva cerca de 3 ou 4 segundos no máximo. Posso tirar uma foto e mostrá-la, mas uso a espuma cinza / verde escura de embalagem rasgada em um pedaço de alguns centímetros em cubos. Depois, coloque-o atrás do pedal, que está muito solto, como você diz para qualquer finalidade. Você poderia deixar lá quando estiver jogando DR, eu acho. Eu direi que o coloquei lá há um ano e, apesar da temporada completa de F1 2019 e algumas centenas de horas de pcars 2, ele não chamou nem precisou de ajustes. É por isso que eu preferi fazer a correção externa que seria rápida de desfazer, embora nunca precisei removê-la.

Friend, if you can put the photo as it was it would be very important. Thanks

22 hours ago, PTC said:

OK will do that sometime today!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your hands should be synchronised to your right foot. The further your foot presses the more your hands unwind. Both should be synchronised. No moving one without the other.

• Agree 2

On 4/8/2020 at 12:56 PM, PTC said:

34924.jpeg

34923.jpeg

• Thanks 2

My tablet is glitching badly cannot reply or see what I'm typing in the above photo reply. So anyway note the green band in one of the photos. I used 2 elastic bands to compress the bubble wrap to stop it from just splurging out whenever I press the pedal. A total hashup 8 agree but it's effective and long lasting. Just took it out the closet to do some racing again 🏁😁

On 10/04/2020 at 14:30, sloppysmusic said:

Meu tablet está com problemas graves, não consigo responder ou ver o que estou digitando na resposta da foto acima. De qualquer forma, observe a faixa verde em uma das fotos. Usei 2 elásticos para comprimir o invólucro com bolhas de ar para impedir que ele se soltasse sempre que pressionava o pedal. Um total de hashup 8 concorda, mas é eficaz e duradouro. Apenas tirei o armário para fazer algumas corridas novamente 🏁 😁

Thank you friend !!
  • Like 1