Codemasters, enough is enough...

Posted (edited)

Codemasters,

I am writing this forum post with frustration and anger. Earlier today as we know, the virtual Grand Prix featuring multiple F1 drivers took place. Throughout this session, multiple glitches were present, one being a lap counter throughout qualifying.

However, the most unforgivable glitch that raised its head as it does almost every single time I even attempt to try online is being kicked out the session / lobby. Lando Norris and Esteban Gutierrez were both kicked out the lobby for 'no longer being enough space in the lobby'.

I honestly really hope today exposed to everyone what a poor game you have created. It's absolutely unacceptable this has happened and all of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Codemasters, why are these issues present considering they were present 9 years ago since F1 2010, and have been gradually getting worse and worse since?

I would like to highlight there was no apology tweet to Lando or Esteban for this issue, or no explanation as to why this glitch occured.

I am writing to ask why this glitch happened. An explanation as to why this game has not been functioning as any other game does is long overdue. I don't want to hear your standard PR rubbish, I want an honest answer.

For the love of peace, please make a working game, or just admit you don't have the capability and ability and give the licensing to a company who can. This would be for the best interest of all parties.

Thank you.

Edited by AoiAsahina
  • Thanks 2

I feel for you, and in all honesty I very much doubt your questions will be answered.

I really hope the glitches in the virtual races highlight the mess the game is. Hardly esports ready! Codemasters don't listen to the community in respect to bugs, the legacy bugs are simply unacceptable and some date back to the games first release in 2010. As far as they are concerned the game plays as designed.

I can't bring myself to buy these games anymore but keep posting and hoping one day things will improve. Sadly to date it's not the case.

Posted (edited)

It was pretty embarrassing. But we aren't game designers we don't know what resources codemasters has. We can only help them by providing detailed bug reports and not spamming the forums with hate towards them.

Edited by Camza2011
removal of an unfair comment
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

If Codemasters don't take this opportunity to take real driver feedback from these races then what a wasted opportunity..

Over the years many of as have asked for more advanced physics, higher ffb frequency, advanced ERS/SOC management and far more realistic setup options.. Maybe if we had something on ACC/iRacing level in this area the likes of Max Verstappen & more would have joined in today..

Edited by Coanda
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, AoiAsahina said:

I would like to highlight there was no apology tweet to Lando or Esteban for this issue, or no explanation as to why this glitch occured.

I don't think it matters at all if a Community Manager is working on a Sunday or not. Most won't be able to guess the cause of the issue either. Especially as you'll then say "I don't want to hear your standard PR rubbish, I want an honest answer."

I'd say apologizing would've been done by the esports guys in this case.

5 hours ago, AoiAsahina said:

Codemasters, why are these issues present considering they were present 9 years ago since F1 2010, and have been gradually getting worse and worse since?

I don't think you can claim this to be the same issue as what was nine years ago just because it causes the same result. 

• Disagree 4

Haha, Lando uninstalled the game. Called max afterwards. Max: I will never join this game......

Well done CM. 

And maybe the issue is not the same as 9 years ago. The results are the same. Kicked out of the lobby.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 2

What is really disappointing is that Liberty Media don't care about their product.
You sold licenses for a buzzer and that's it. What about F1 image and the young drivers like MAx or Lando, who are Marketing Machines?
Licenses should not be exclusive, this kills the competition.

CM always focuses on the wrong things like graphics or "linear storyline" in career.
focus on essentials: gameplay, handling, penalty system, online lobbies, AI, damage system, mechanical failures...to name a few

• Agree 4

5 minutes ago, 2Pacalypse said:

What is really disappointing is that Liberty Media don't care about their product.
You sold licenses for a buzzer and that's it. What about F1 image and the young drivers like MAx or Lando, who are Marketing Machines?
Licenses should not be exclusive, this kills the competition.

Do we know that the license is exclusive? Currently at least 3 companies have had the license for F1 likeness in the last few years. Codemasters, Hutch and Frontier Developments.

11 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Do we know that the license is exclusive? Currently at least 3 companies have had the license for F1 likeness in the last few years. Codemasters, Hutch and Frontier Developments.

if so where is the competitor game for f1 2010 till 2019 from Hutch or Frontier developmenents? its like NHL Madden and NBA2k without competition the game become worse every year, because game developers just copy and paste their games and leave the good things out.

Btw frontier gets the licence for the future...and this will be not a racing game, a manager game instead. Proof me that I'm wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

CM issued a statement sometime ago which said that they have exclusive rights for many years i believe

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 2Pacalypse said:

if so where is the competitor game for f1 2010 till 2019 from Hutch or Frontier developmenents? its like NHL Madden and NBA2k without competition the game become worse every year, because game developers just copy and paste their games and leave the good things out.

Btw frontier gets the licence for the future...and this will be not a racing game, a manager game instead. Proof me that I'm wrong.

I was asking if we'd know for sure, nothing else 🙂 

Hutch and Frontier are competing against each other I believe?

Edited by UP100
What is with me and the word 'against'?

7 minutes ago, AlexTT said:

CM issued a statement sometime ago which said that they have exclusive rights for many years i believe

Ding ding ding! 🙂

The announcement states "for exclusive video game rights for the FIA Formula One World Championship ("F1") franchise from 2021 until 2025"

Though I wonder what are the rights the manager games have 🤔

Just to add to this, you should know that Codemasters rushed a build exclusively for Virtual GP on Friday last.

Usual patch SNAFU, one misstep and definitely one step back.

5 hours ago, Coanda said:

Over the years many of as have asked for more advanced physics, higher ffb frequency, advanced ERS/SOC management and far more realistic setup options.. 

And Codemasters have always told us that's not the sort of F1 game they want to make, so you might as well stop asking.

Codemasters own Slightly Mad Studios now. Maybe Codemasters could get some tips from them? The online capabilities of Project CARS 2 are way better. Less glitching, better broadcasting options.

1 hour ago, steviejay69 said:

Just to add to this, you should know that Codemasters rushed a build exclusively for Virtual GP on Friday last.

Usual patch SNAFU, one misstep and definitely one step back.

Do you have evidence for this?

Should you be right that is even more evidence that codemasters do not care about the paying customer, only their image.

7 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

Scroll down to branches

https://steamdb.info/app/928600/depots/

Nice one steviejay69.

I'm so glad I didn't buy this game, codemasters don't deserve my money, or anyone else's for such shameful skulduggery.

I really fear for the future of SMS.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ChasteWand said:

Nice one steviejay69.

I'm so glad I didn't buy this game, codemasters don't deserve my money, or anyone else's for such shameful skulduggery.

I really fear for the future of SMS.

What do you mean? They always have branches for various things, including esports. Sometimes they get new features a bit quicker, sometimes it's just stuff like advertising boards being changed etc.

The only difference I was able to spot was the event sponsors I believe?

Edited by UP100
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, UP100 said:

What do you mean? They always have branches for various things, including esports. Sometimes they get new features a bit quicker, sometimes it's just stuff like advertising boards being changed etc.

If you have evidence this was only to change advertising, and only advertising, I will retract my statement.

I also doubt the people who play these esports events pay for the game. Hardly seems fair to pay and suffer, whilst those that don't get priority treatment. Moreover the official line from codemasters is that the game is working as intended and such issues don't exist. Esports ready the hyperbole proclaims. I think it is clear for all to see that that is simply untrue.

If and when codemasters release a game that comes close to fulfilling their lofty claims (doesn't have to be perfect, I accept even the best software has issues) then I will pay for it. Until such times I shall buy second hand, after all patches and, speak as I find.

Remember the list. 😉

Edited by ChasteWand

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, UP100 said:

The only difference I was able to spot was the event sponsors I believe?

Yeah that and the lap counter showing 2/15 & 3/15 during qualifying. If they did change the sponsor boards, how much of it was to charge any names appearing a different rate? More cash for Codemasters.

Such a stable game that features like damage and Safety Car were turned off.

Twice in a row Lando drops connection to the game. Get him to post a dxdiag lol

Listen, this was better than the fiasco that was Bahrain. At least we did get a qualifying and 50% race. Not a 25% with a reloaded grid.

Edited by steviejay69
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ChasteWand said:

If you have evidence this was only to change advertising, and only advertising, I will retract my statement.

I also doubt the people who play these esports events pay for the game. Hardly seems fair to pay and suffer, whilst those that don't get priority treatment. Moreover the official line from codemasters is that the game is working as intended and such issues don't exist. Esports ready the hyperbole proclaims. I think it is clear for all to see that that is simply untrue.

If and when codemasters release a game that comes close to fulfilling their lofty claims (doesn't have to be perfect, I accept even the best software has issues) then I will pay for it. Until such times I shall buy second hand, after all patches and, speak as I find.

Remember the list. 😉

Well we don't have any evidence that would tell us anything else than visual stuff were changed?

I'm not 100% sure if you understand how branches work, so here is how they work. Don't take this as an insult or anything, but sometimes the way people write something may make me think that the writer could have a misconception of something.

1. Developer creates a branch
  2. The developer adds content to that branch, such as a new experimental feature etc. that is not yet ready for the public. Another possibility is to add stuff that is only for a very specific purpose, such as to for example intentionally kill the game, which is completely useless for most people.
  3. The tester navigates to Steam -> Library -> [Game] -> Properties -> Betas and selects the branch he should use. The page looks like this, except the obvious part of it being in a weird language.
    image.png.4247b5635f38ae7599ec64fd00a77a2e.png
  4. Steam now downloads and installs the files that are different between the previous and the current branch.
  5. The tester launches the game like normal.

Esports and tcam is not to be taken seriously. Period.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Well we don't have any evidence that would tell us anything else than visual stuff were changed?

I'm not 100% sure if you understand how branches work, so here is how they work. Don't take this as an insult or anything, but sometimes the way people write something may make me think that the writer could have a misconception of something.

1. Developer creates a branch
  2. The developer adds content to that branch, such as a new experimental feature etc. that is not yet ready for the public. Another possibility is to add stuff that is only for a very specific purpose, such as to for example intentionally kill the game, which is completely useless for most people.
  3. The tester navigates to Steam -> Library -> [Game] -> Properties -> Betas and selects the branch he should use. The page looks like this, except the obvious part of it being in a weird language.
    image.png.4247b5635f38ae7599ec64fd00a77a2e.png
  4. Steam now downloads and installs the files that are different between the previous and the current branch.
  5. The tester launches the game like normal.

No offence taken, live and learn...

Regardless of what may, or may not have been changed, the evidence that f12019 is not esports ready, is out.