Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Codemasters, enough is enough...

I think this might be more of an issue with Lando's PC, but I'm not defending the game - game crashing when transitioning is unacceptable.

Though I noticed Lando does Alt-Tab a lot I think, so probably running the game in Fullscreen Windowed might help him? I have no idea unfortunately.

Also F1 2020 game news when? Since so far I have no idea what to expect in the game, even from F1 2019 files.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, mantazzo said:

I think this might be more of an issue with Lando's PC, but I'm not defending the game - game crashing when transitioning is unacceptable.

Though I noticed Lando does Alt-Tab a lot I think, so probably running the game in Fullscreen Windowed might help him? I have no idea unfortunately.

Also F1 2020 game news when? Since so far I have no idea what to expect in the game, even from F1 2019 files.

IDK what hardware he runs but the latest Nvidia driver seems very iffy. But that then assumes a level of awareness about the technical side that we're not sure he's abreast of.

Also, this week I did not watch his stream, just the F1/Sky coverage via YT.

Edited by steviejay69

40 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

IDK what hardware he runs but the latest Nvidia driver seems very iffy. But that then assumes a level of awareness about the technical side that we're not sure he's abreast of.

Also, this week I did not watch his stream, just the F1/Sky coverage via YT.

As always, it could be some driver issue, so a full clean reinstall would be great for him (as in, use Display Driver Uninstaller and then just install new drivers), also, a check with Borderless Windowed mode would work (though I don't know if it runs okay with higher framerates than 60 - since I have only a laptop with 60Hz monitor it's okay for me).

And the issue really seems like a switching issue CM games have for quite some time, especially on higher graphics settings. I've had these issues a few times before myself, hence I'm mostly running CM games on Borderless Windowed mostly - seems to fix the issue most of the time. (But then again, I don't own F1 2019 game on PC (only tried Free Weekends so far) so I'm not sure how's everything working.)

1 hour ago, mantazzo said:

Well this time it definitely wasn't his PC's fault though. He and Esteban both got kicked out of the session, because the race session in this build was probably for whatever reason only allowed to have 20 players in it (18 drivers + 2 spectators) instead of 22. Could have been just the DSC bug that can occur, but seeing that it happened to Esteban as well and not just Lando should be telling a lot about the state of these games in terms of stability. It's good when it runs, but stuff like this just make the claim "Esports-Ready" unacceptable.

31 minutes ago, Flash224 said:

It's good when it runs, but stuff like this just make the claim "Esports-Ready" unacceptable.

I wonder where has it been said? I honestly cannot remember and have started to wonder if this is like the "You have to be alert on a street circuit" thing that was not said by Palmer according to Palmer himself in the 2nd(?) THE RACE event.

1 minute ago, UP100 said:

I wonder where has it been said? I honestly cannot remember and have started to wonder if this is like the "You have to be alert on a street circuit" thing that was not said by Palmer according to Palmer himself in the 2nd(?) THE RACE event.

the whole advertising campaign for the game launch was pushing esports and online multiplayer modes, online leagues.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, cearp8858 said:

the whole advertising campaign for the game launch was pushing esports and online multiplayer modes, online leagues.

I'll be looking around the blog etc., but at least about the trailers, the official game trailer 3 is the only one (out of 6 trailers) to even mention basically anything about leagues or esports.

If I miss anything, then do poke me 🙂 

Edited by UP100

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mantazzo said:

What to expect? The same damn game, with the same damn bugs, the same P2P multiplayer in freaking 2020, broken game modes (lmao my penultimate league race, someone left and the game went crazy migrating and searching for a new host, we needed to take our results from lap 22 of 36 because everything was ****** up), ffb that is weird and changes from mode to mode. League mode that was missing some important features like reserve drivers or the fact that you needed everybody to vote to change something.

But hey, they'll advertise a "new" career mode with a full F2 season, something that was missing from this game, don't know why since the """story""" mode led to absolutely nothing, they'll make some minor improvements and claim they have been working a couple of years on the title. They'll focus on making some stupid and useless liveries that will be sold as DLCs. You know, the same story all over again.

Oh, in F1 2020 dear codies you can at least fix the damn curbs which have a grip level of -9000, ice has more grip. Well, it took good 3 years to get a decent Safety Car which actually deploys when there's a big crash. Maybe we'll get a good game in 2050

Edited by TheWalker17
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, UP100 said:

I'll be looking around the blog etc., but at least about the trailers, the official game trailer 3 (out of 6 trailers) is the only one to even mention basically anything about leagues or esports.

If I miss anything, then do poke me 🙂 

talking about the interviews that lee mather had with all the various youtube channels also videos on the hamburg preview event 

example

there are many more 

let alone the fact that there is a Esports menu in the game..... so yeah to me they was massivly pushing e sports and online with f1 2019  

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, cearp8858 said:

talking about the interviews that lee mather had with all the various youtube channels also videos on the hamburg preview event 

example

there are many more 

let alone the fact that there is a Esports menu in the game..... so yeah to me they was massivly pushing e sports and online with f1 2019  

Well I mean that's a bit of a poor example given that it's an interview by a 3rd party, which means they answer to the questions they're asked. Also I do have respect for Mather especially on how he has been at Birmingham for 17 years which is longer than the time the studio has been known as Codemasters Birmingham! ...but a lot of the time when I hear about overhyped features etc. from users... it just seems that many people say that they heard it from Mather... Though that could just be me... or the fact they're looking at an employee's Twitter page 😁

What I found from blog, was "in F1 2019’s expanded multiplayer!" and some news about esports obvs. This is the blog about Leagues etc. http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/06/f1-2019-super-licence-and-leagues/

In terms of the trailers, most seem to focus on F2 & F1 Career + Senna & Prost. I remember how the driver transfers weren't properly advertised and we just heard about them through Lee Mather 😛 Some people went crazy about the addition.

Edited by UP100

12 minutes ago, UP100 said:

I remember how the driver transfers weren't properly advertised and we just heard about them through Lee Mather 😛 Some people went crazy about the addition.

Yeah, then all those people went crazy when they saw how bad that feature had been implemented

• Haha 1

Codies incompetence laid bare for the world to see once again. 
It's funny though.. who would have thought people actually playing the game could turn out so bad.
Are you waiting for Lando to do a bug report before anything is gonna be done?

You guys may be fine with the glitchfest of a game you have created, but for the rest of us, it was obvious since the beta that some serious work needed doing before it can be considered playable. 
A radio silence like this one after such a public display of inadequacy doesn't help your case either. 

Always quick with blog posts about f1 esports, giveaways and merch... but THIS is a time where the PR should be working over hours, explaining to us WHY, despite the abysmal state this game is in, 
we should still have faith in the series going forward. 

So my question of the day, @BarryBL Is there any hope these online stability issues get fixed in this game (f1 2019) or the next (f1 202X) or at least drastically reduced? Is there being worked on that?
Is this horrible p2p multiplayer finally gonna go and are actual servers gonna catapult this game about the 'pinnacle of motorsport' into the present? 

Be honest, please! Cause really.. we're gonna find out anyway. Whether we get lied to beforehand or not. And i know you weren't there last year before the launch but we got lied to a lot 😉

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I’d be happy for ranked to be peer 2 peer still and at least give unranked or league mode servers

Edited by cearp8858

Also don't get me wrong the fact we have official F2 and classic cars is great as is the driver transfers etc and a lot of the ideas and improvements to career mode are good, its just stability and bugs which mainly affect online that is annoying 

Hi everyone,

At the moment, I am talking to the relevant parties to try to gain some more information. I watched the stream from home on Sunday and I can understand the frustration.

However, I would only want to get information for you direct from the correct sources and the stakeholders who can comment best. Personally, within CM, I am not the right person to directly comment on the weekends events as it is a part of the game/business which is controlled by different personnel. I hope you all can understand.

• Like 4

I hear you @BarryBL one thing you HAVE to get through to the developers and game managers is DO NOT GO AFTER THE CASUAL MARKET.

The last two broadcasts should have been an excellent chance to showcase a product to a slightly wider audience. Everyone is starved of sporting entertainment at present, hell I even watched the virtual Grand National (backed 5th place, typically 🙂 ) but to compare the two - apples and oranges as they were, sadly I can't see how anyone new to the game or the sport could have had their interest held for more than 20 seconds before turning over.

Esports is as Esports does, but quite honestly (and notwithstanding it being presented as a bit of fun) the whole tone of the broadcasts do nothing to promote the worth or value of anyone associated with it (Simracing). People will argue (and I agree) that this is pretty far from Simracing as presented.

Comparing it with the Esports seasons as presented so far on F1 2017 and F1 2018 they were far more engaging and entertaining DESPITE being aimed at the gaming community.

Let's be honest, as far as TV is concerned, it's done. Virtual to real life was done with GT Academy on Gran Turismo - Jann Mardenborough and his ilk. Actually graduated to real seats in real top level events (F2 and Le Mans). F1 will never take Esports seriously as the time to do so was passed under the stewardship of the poison dwarf (Bernie Ecclestone) although you should be careful what you wish for as Liberty (Chase Carey and cronies) are just trying to up the hype and razmatazz US stylee. They are alienating their current customer base and clearly do not have a clue how to progress, they are out of their depth; as the handling of the whole lead up to the non-start of this season in Australia and the lack of leadership and a plan for going forward.

This ultimately is reflected in their decision to re-award the license / franchise for the F1 title back to Codemasters and their lack of interest in the trashing of what is left of the sport.

Core game is paramount. Core fanbase is paramount.

You're not seeing the signposts. They are clear to almost everyone else!

• Agree 2

And we will never here from barry again about this topic i'm afraid. When a frustration topic is hot, ask some time to come with an answer. Topic becomes quiet, and that's it. Damage control.....

20 hours ago, scottishwildcat said:

And Codemasters have always told us that's not the sort of F1 game they want to make, so you might as well stop asking.

It's ok, I am happy to continue.. You never know, ideas can change..

6 hours ago, aartstyle said:

And we will never here from barry again about this topic i'm afraid. When a frustration topic is hot, ask some time to come with an answer. Topic becomes quiet, and that's it. Damage control.....

Well, I guess you are hearing from me again... 😛 

Currently, Codemasters are in discussions with F1 and our partners to get a response to this thread on the forums. This response will come in the near future, however, with the amount of parties involved, I cannot give an exact timeframe for this response. 

This is something we are taking seriously and are currently looking into options with all affected parties for improvements in the future. Once I have a more concrete update, I'll add this to the thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Agree 2

What do you mean "looking into options"
It doesn't matter who the affected parties are, the "options" have been clear for years.

Codemasters needs to make the functionality required for organized online play as STABLE and BUG-FREE as possible while adding some kind of advanced spectator functionality for proper live coverage in e-sports.

I personally don't care about the multiplayer aspect of your games and play the career mode, but none of this repeated public embarrassment was a surprise.

2 hours ago, RaceMyZaru said:

What do you mean "looking into options"
It doesn't matter who the affected parties are, the "options" have been clear for years.

Codemasters needs to make the functionality required for organized online play as STABLE and BUG-FREE as possible while adding some kind of advanced spectator functionality for proper live coverage in e-sports.

I personally don't care about the multiplayer aspect of your games and play the career mode, but none of this repeated public embarrassment was a surprise.

Looking into options most likely means what kinds of actions should the directors, teams, indivituals and such take in order to be able to provide a better product. What needs to be discussed is how it could be made, how much resources it would needs and who could pull it off etc. as just saying "We'll make this more bug-free" won't cut it, you know?

• Agree 1

This is not a good article/headline for the game:

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/28997679/charles-leclerc-wins-f1-virtual-gp-lando-norris-uninstalls-game

From the ESPN article:

But once again, it was the antics of McLaren's Lando Norris, who was kicked out of the game due to a system error before the start, that stole the show. Norris was relegated to the role of commentator when his connection dropped out and was forced to watch the race on his Twitch stream rather than participate.

As a fairly dull affair panned out on the screen, Norris -- who also struggled with his connection at the inaugural Virtual Grand Prix two weeks ago -- kept his followers entertained by making a phone call to Max Verstappen. The Red Bull driver has not been keen to join F1's official gaming action as he devotes his online racing to the R-factor 2 game, and on Sunday joked Norris should quit too.

"Take the game off your P.C. and throw it in the bin," he told the McLaren driver Verstappen signed off from the phone call with Norris, by adding: "Have fun racing and I will never join that [event]! Bye bye!"

Norris later took Verstappen's advice and uninstalled the game live on his Twitch feed.

41 minutes ago, dwin20 said:

This is not a good article/headline for the game:

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/28997679/charles-leclerc-wins-f1-virtual-gp-lando-norris-uninstalls-game

From the ESPN article:

But once again, it was the antics of McLaren's Lando Norris, who was kicked out of the game due to a system error before the start, that stole the show. Norris was relegated to the role of commentator when his connection dropped out and was forced to watch the race on his Twitch stream rather than participate.

As a fairly dull affair panned out on the screen, Norris -- who also struggled with his connection at the inaugural Virtual Grand Prix two weeks ago -- kept his followers entertained by making a phone call to Max Verstappen. The Red Bull driver has not been keen to join F1's official gaming action as he devotes his online racing to the R-factor 2 game, and on Sunday joked Norris should quit too.

"Take the game off your P.C. and throw it in the bin," he told the McLaren driver Verstappen signed off from the phone call with Norris, by adding: "Have fun racing and I will never join that [event]! Bye bye!"

Norris later took Verstappen's advice and uninstalled the game live on his Twitch feed.

Most countries are in lockdown due to the corona virus, countless people sat at home and looking for something to do. I would argue most f1 fans would be aware of the game and the virtual gp. This kind of coverage no doubt does great harm to the game and codemasters image.

Meanwhile;

10 hours ago, BarryBL said:

Codemasters are in discussions with F1 and our partners to get a response to this thread on the forums. This response will come in the near future, however, with the amount of parties involved, I cannot give an exact timeframe for this response. 

A response to this thread, is that all?! I would argue the response needs to far wider in its scope. All this amounts to nothing less than disaster management.

I think most people on the forum have had enough of codemasters copy and paste games, the bugs/issues that plague them, and the lack of communication.

Lando Norris, Max Verstappen and all the young drivers will have grown up with simracing and their attitude to the game highlights just how bad it is. These young drivers are heroes to many and their attitude to the game and the influence they wield should be of paramount importance codemasters.

Let's face it, the game is dead. You can't even raise a full grid for a forum league race series. The forum is also pretty much dead, the frequency of posts has been declining, and those left are the hardcore who would like to see the game improve.

It will be interesting to see how this PR disaster effects the f1 series of games into the future. Given codemasters track record, I have little hope. Grid seems to be a flop, Dirt 2.0 currently has its server issues and the "half game behind a DLC pay wall" debacle, and I fear for the future of SMS.

All that said, maybe it is the golden opportunity for codemasters to turn this around. With new console hardware also on the horizon demanding new game engine it's time to step up, only time will tell...

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, ChasteWand said:

Let's face it, the game is dead. You can't even raise a full grid for a forum league race series. The forum is also pretty much dead, the frequency of posts has been declining, and those left are the hardcore who would like to see the game improve.

Oh come on, we have 19 spots taken in our league! 😁 I would be over 20 if we wouldn't remove users that didn't tell us that they weren't going to participate for the race.

The F1 side will always be less active in around January-March as people take the earlier game from granted, and are waiting for the next one. Usually the people that stay are ones who like to complain, and not actually play the game.

We also got the all-time peak on PC just a week or so ago!

image.png.cd0ec96c1d4e44adb2029fdcb0096d02.png

• Agree 2