Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×

Codemasters, enough is enough...

5 hours ago, UP100 said:

Oh come on, we have 19 spots taken in our league! 😁 I would be over 20 if we wouldn't remove users that didn't tell us that they weren't going to participate for the race.

The F1 side will always be less active in around January-March as people take the earlier game from granted, and are waiting for the next one. Usually the people that stay are ones who like to complain, and not actually play the game.

We also got the all-time peak on PC just a week or so ago!

image.png.cd0ec96c1d4e44adb2029fdcb0096d02.png

Still not a full grid though is it! Though to be fair, we both seem pretty good at nitpicking! 😁

Whilst my tone is unashamedly negative towards the game, I finished my post on a positive note. I genuinely want the f1 series to improve. Many times I've stated I don't own the 19 game, however I have every other in the series.

You seem to be selective in what you took from my post above, only replying to what you could find to argue against. Never have I seen anyone from codemasters admit to the games shortcomings. 1512Marcel is the only official person to be critical. Perhaps a little more honest internal criticism and active listening to the forum (instead of casting those who stay as serial complainers) the game would achieve better feedback. Remember the list?

How does 12,736 peak compare to other games? Given most countries are under lockdown, it's hardly surprising the game is experiencing a peak in use, no doubt many others are too.

Credit where credit's due the game looks pretty good.

Max Verstappen doesn't like the game.

Bring him to CM to help improve the game!

He has time 😉

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ChasteWand said:

You seem to be selective in what you took from my post above, only replying to what you could find to argue against. Never have I seen anyone from codemasters admit to the games shortcomings. 1512Marcel is the only official person to be critical. Perhaps a little more honest internal criticism and active listening to the forum (instead of casting those who stay as serial complainers) the game would achieve better feedback. Remember the list?

I'm not arguing agaisnt the fact that the game has issues but I do send replies when I think I can correct some information or I can try and explain why something is how it is 🙂 It's just that I reply to so many things every day that I kind of forget that I'm talking to different people, so it'll definitely sound like I'm only defending the game... or something like that. I may be saying something completely stupid but my brains don't work well enough to notice right now. I'll be back a bit later on with my edits like always 😁

Now I'd like to say something that no one reading this won't misunderstand. Marcel and I aren't employed by Codemasters and we can say whatever we want as long as it's fine by the rules etc. My replies to complaints always tend to be quite the same whatever game or company we are talking about (except few exceptions because I'm only a stupid human)

We both sent our applications when the then new Developer Liaison was looking for some F1 side moderators and now we are here. Though I was also recruited to be a moderator by the Southam side, so it's a bit more complicated for me.

I remember my list quite well. Though it was made during the old forums, so it'll be hard for you to find it 😉 I had two significantly simpler versions of it somewhere on these forums though.

Edited by UP100
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ChasteWand said:

Lando Norris, Max Verstappen and all the young drivers will have grown up with simracing and their attitude to the game highlights just how bad it is. These young drivers are heroes to many and their attitude to the game and the influence they wield should be of paramount importance codemasters.

Let's face it, the game is dead. You can't even raise a full grid for a forum league race series. The forum is also pretty much dead, the frequency of posts has been declining, and those left are the hardcore who would like to see the game improve.

I wouldn't say the game is dead - but it is certainly at an inflection moment. When F1 drivers are trashing the game it is a very serious problem, particularly these two who sim race quite a bit. Codemasters needs to get these two back on board to restore confidence in the game. F1 management also needs to think this through - they have given the license to a game that is being trashed by their own drivers - what does that say about their quality control in providing a positive experience to their fans. 

• Agree 2

Just looked on steam

Buy F1 2019   £44.99

Just amazed it is not at least £20 by now 

• Haha 2

On 4/8/2020 at 1:42 AM, dwin20 said:

This is not a good article/headline for the game:

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/28997679/charles-leclerc-wins-f1-virtual-gp-lando-norris-uninstalls-game

"Take the game off your P.C. and throw it in the bin," he told the McLaren driver Verstappen signed off from the phone call with Norris, by adding: "Have fun racing and I will never join that [event]! Bye bye!"

Norris later took Verstappen's advice and uninstalled the game live on his Twitch feed.

Codemasters representatives: Thank you for deleting the stand alone thread that was posted yesterday about Lando Norris and Max Verstappen uninstalling Codemasters F1 2019.

https://www.google.com/search?q=codemasters+f1+2019+lando+norris+max+verstappen+ceremoniously+uninstall&rlz=1C1CHBF_enNL805NL805&oq=codemasters+f1+2019+lando+norris+max+verstappen+ceremoniously+uninstall&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l2.12179j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Although freedom of speech has its uses, the monetary value linked to the specific reputation of a product should be defended. My hat's off to you for defending our most beloved game. Ignore the actual racing drivers. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, codexas said:

Codemasters representatives: Thank you for deleting the stand alone thread that was posted yesterday about Lando Norris and Max Verstappen uninstalling Codemasters F1 2019.

https://www.google.com/search?q=codemasters+f1+2019+lando+norris+max+verstappen+ceremoniously+uninstall&rlz=1C1CHBF_enNL805NL805&oq=codemasters+f1+2019+lando+norris+max+verstappen+ceremoniously+uninstall&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l2.12179j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Although freedom of speech has its uses, the monetary value linked to the specific reputation of a product should be defended. My hat's off to you for defending our most beloved game. Ignore the actual racing drivers. 

Damage limitation game has begun.

3 pages later and still haven't got a proper answer.

All I've got is "we're investigating", deleted forum threads, some people desperately defending the game, and more evidence Codemasters need to buck their ideas up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AoiAsahina said:

All I've got is "we're investigating", deleted forum threads, some people desperately defending the game, and more evidence Codemasters need to buck their ideas up.

*CROFTY VOICE*

"WELCOME TO FORMULA 1!"

36 minutes ago, codexas said:

Hey.

The thread hasn't been deleted and can be recovered if @BarryBL or another moderator disagrees with my decision. I'll be trying to explain my view here, and there is also an apology about something on the bottom of it.

I believe that the contents of the new thread weren't that different from this thread you had created previously.

Here is the body of your new thread with the highlighted parts that were the main reason for my actions. I believe that the first sentence and the sentence between the highlights wasn't enough for this thread to really need to exist, as the comment and thread linked above has basically the same information and opinion out there.

image.png.65e6dae4219a189e615e35104d7fc4db.png

Normally in this situation I would merge the new thread to the already existing one, but I didn't think that was necessary that time as it would've caused the same video to be linked twice to the same thread, or I would've been forced to edit one of your comments which I don't like doing.

I for some reason forgot to inform you about it though. As usually I do leave some kind of comment explaining what actions I've taken so that all users understand how I have affected the conversation. This is directly agaisnt the moderation guidelines set up by Codemasters and I fully accept that I have in fact made a mistake by not informing the community of the actions I've taken.

I apologize to F1 forum community and Codemasters for not communicating the removal in a sufficent manner. You're free to contact Barry yourself about this incident and a possible punishment if you so please.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

Hey.

The thread hasn't been deleted and can be recovered if @BarryBL or another moderator disagrees with my decision. I'll be trying to explain my view here, and there is also an apology about something on the bottom of it.

I believe that the contents of the new thread weren't that different from this thread you had created previously.

Here is the body of your new thread with the highlighted parts that were the main reason for my actions. I believe that the first sentence and the sentence between the highlights wasn't enough for this thread to really need to exist, as the comment and thread linked above has basically the same information and opinion out there.

Normally in this situation I would merge the new thread to the already existing one, but I didn't think that was necessary that time as it would've caused the same video to be linked twice to the same thread, or I would've been forced to edit one of your comments which I don't like doing.

I for some reason forgot to inform you about it though. As usually I do leave some kind of comment explaining what actions I've taken so that all users understand how I have affected the conversation. This is directly agaisnt the moderation guidelines set up by Codemasters and I fully accept that I have in fact made a mistake by not informing the community of the actions I've taken.

I apologize to F1 forum community and Codemasters for not communicating the removal in a sufficent manner. You're free to contact Barry yourself about this incident and a possible punishment if you so please.

Okay, bend over boyyyy🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2020 at 5:24 PM, UP100 said:

I'm not arguing agaisnt the fact that the game has issues but I do send replies when I think I can correct some information or I can try and explain why something is how it is 🙂 It's just that I reply to so many things every day that I kind of forget that I'm talking to different people, so it'll definitely sound like I'm only defending the game... or something like that. I may be saying something completely stupid but my brains don't work well enough to notice right now. I'll be back a bit later on with my edits like always 😁

Now I'd like to say something that no one reading this won't misunderstand. Marcel and I aren't employed by Codemasters and we can say whatever we want as long as it's fine by the rules etc. My replies to complaints always tend to be quite the same whatever game or company we are talking about (except few exceptions because I'm only a stupid human)

We both sent our applications when the then new Developer Liaison was looking for some F1 side moderators and now we are here. Though I was also recruited to be a moderator by the Southam side, so it's a bit more complicated for me.

I remember my list quite well. Though it was made during the old forums, so it'll be hard for you to find it 😉 I had two significantly simpler versions of it somewhere on these forums though.

Respect.

I fully understand you are volunteering and as such receive no income. I seriously doubt however that you (or Marcel) don't have some form of contractual agreement. As such you are codemasters "pawn" and will be bound by that agreement. I also understand that your position is very unlikely to granted privileged information, or have any capacity to give an official statement. My choice of word to describe 1512marcel as "official" was poor I freely admit.

However I stand by my statement that I have never seen anyone official from codemasters admit to the games shortcomings. Ian Bell (SMS) might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he can at least admit to the shortcomings of Project Cars 1 and 2.  He and SMS were open and, within the timeframe allotted, did their best to fix those games. I don't see that kind of behaviour from codemasters, and that is why I fear for the future of SMS now they are owed by codemasters. I hope they (SMS) can remain fully autonomous.

Whilst we are (allegedly) the most intelligent species on the planet, there is no doubt we can be incredibly stupid too! I too am not immune from this paradox. 🤔

Edited by ChasteWand

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, UP100 said:

Hey.

Thanks for the explanation, but as the original poster of that thread, for me it was unnecessary. Like I mentioned in my post above, I am against freedom of speech and arguable customer satisfaction issues when Codemasters profits are concerned.

There is a lot of money tied up in this product and with the current Covid19 issue putting a stop to actual racing, more and more people are turning to the sim races organised in their stead.

The unlikelyhood of F1 2020 being released has meant that people are simply buying F1 2019 in record numbers and the price has been hiked up to reflect this demand in the past week alone. Covid19 has been a boon for the ROI of this product.

Removing that thread (which described how Lando Norris and Max Verstappen had ceremoniously uninstalled F1 2019 due to their dissatisfaction with it) was the right thing to do. It would have caused a serious MO considering current purchasers are mostly those who follow the virtual GP’s and for whom Norris and Verstappen are considerable influencers.

This product (F1 2019) is baked and shelved, there is no undue reason to limit financial losses to Codemasters through bad press. The shareholders need all the revenue they can get with the looming depression, and frankly, customer satisfaction, or the pursuit of making future products better by illustrating the shortcomings of the current product, should not interfere with business. Customers should not be able to just say what they want and influence revenue. The time of golden age democracies has gone and is rightfully replaced by intelligent and diligent censorship of speech.

It’s not like the target audience has suddenly shifted either. This product (since 2010) was developed for a target market of hobbyist arcade game racers, not genuine racing drivers. The skill sets are vastly different.

But seeing as you’ve removed the thread simply because it contained a repetition of the question (in another thread) of ranked and unranked servers allowing a search by assists used, I have removed the video from that thread, and have reinstated the original thread with no mention of ranked and unranked servers.

Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by codexas

On 4/9/2020 at 8:09 PM, AoiAsahina said:

Don't be too faithful, we never got answers in the past years and we most likely won't get any this year.

I mean people have been asking for a working SC since F1 2017. All Codies could say was "we're working on it". Jeez, they needed 3 installments to find the fix, not so code... masters.

Multiplayer was already broken in F1 2017, it was in 2018 and it is in 2019, I guess they're still finding the solution. When the host disconnects the game has good changes to break, a lot of times you're disconnected from the server.

I'm glad this **** show is happening, I'm glad the entire world can finally see how bad this game is. CM relinquish the F1 license. You're not worthy

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, AoiAsahina said:

Any updates @BarryBL??

It's Sunday and Easter. The response is coming eventually but definitely not when they're on a holiday.

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

It's Sunday and Easter. The response is coming eventually but definitely not when they're on a holiday.

Considering the lack of responses we've been experiencing for years it seems they're always on holidays

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, TheWalker17 said:

Considering the lack of responses we've been experiencing for years it seems they're always on holidays

They take more time as holiday than making a working game.

• Agree 2

47 minutes ago, AoiAsahina said:

They take more time as holiday than making a working game.

You're directing your anger at the wrong people. I highly doubt the issues plaguing this series are a result of "lazy devs".

It's probably a matter of the management prioritizing the wrong things and a mix of tight production schedules for the yearly releases and accumulated old sins in their engine making bugfixing harder than it should be.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, RaceMyZaru said:

You're directing your anger at the wrong people. I highly doubt the issues plaguing this series are a result of "lazy devs".

It's probably a matter of the management prioritizing the wrong things and a mix of tight production schedules for the yearly releases and accumulated old sins in their engine making bugfixing harder than it should be.

Well for a game that wants to make eSports and multiplayer one of the main focuses having a broken multiplayer is kinda embarrassing, considering it's the way it is since F1 2017 (dunno about 2016 since I started playing in multi with the 2017 game).

They took their broken multiplayer and made it worse with a broken league system. A live example? Today there's the final GP in the league where I'm mod, we have the Abu Dhabi GP and we're using the in built league system. Despite the calendar showing tonight's race the main page of the league shows the message "Advance to next season", regardless of the GP still left to race.

Lazy devs fits perfectly imo

Honestly this game is undefendable, and atm I'm struggling to find reasons to buy the next installment, I'm starting to feel that those 2 new tracks are not enough.

EDIT: typo

Edited by TheWalker17
  • Agree 2

Any news on what's gonna be done about the broken multiplayer? 

There's a disturbing lack of "finally it will be working!!!" in the f1 2020 announcements.. 
There's some (old) new game modes... what with a build your own team and 2 player splitscreen.. But all this is the definition of not having your priorities straight, if we AGAIN get a game that is too unstable to transition 22 people from the lobby -> quali, or from the quali -> race consistently. 

@BarryBL can you tell us a bit more? Has any work been done on this respect?  Will we get the same broken p2p lobby's?
Will we finally be able to adjust (or even disable) wrongly given penalties (stop go/grid place) before they need serving? Has the double stacking been fixed? The VSC restarts? 

In short: Did Lando Norris unceremoniously uninstalling the game from his pc FINALLY made you realize that putting your head in the sand as a company can only last so long? 
That it is time to FIX the multiplayer of issues big and small? So a game that is pretending to be about thousands of a second can finally be about thousands of a second again, and not get decided by stability issues, glitchy pitstops, and unjust penalties. And maybe people can finally slowly start to take it seriously again? 

Be honest, please. If that is the direction Codemasters thinks is the right one to take with this game that is fair enough! (However disappointing) But we deserve to know. 

• Agree 2

Hi @Bicarda,

I hope you understand that, at this moment in time, I can only release certain details about F1 2020 right now. From a personal point of view, right now I'm happy that I can finally discuss it, or no longer call it "Codemasters - Future titles"

However, I can confirm multiplayer performance is something we are looking into. As well as a bit of fun for our fellow forum users (and a good place to race on a Friday afternoon), we have been running our league in F1 2019 so I can experience the problems first hand too, which was something we ran into on Friday (before I worked at CM, i played a lot of Career, but had no one to race with online). I have been able to directly report the issues into the dev's for assessment. (the guys in the league will be able to back me up on this one 😛 )

Exactly what and how we are looking into this is, honestly, something that I can't discuss in detail without giving far too much away for future plans with F1 2020 and the next steps we want to take. The trailer was simply that, a piece of media confirming we are doing the 2020 game, its release date and the headline features. We will communicate more details in future reveals, and further plans CM/I have that involve users on this forum too.

I hope you can understand that, at this precise moment in time, I cannot comment on further details on F1 2020. I understand everyone's need to know more, and I'll try my best to get as much information out as and when I'm allowed to do so.

• Thanks 4
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Hi @Bicarda,

I hope you understand that, at this moment in time, I can only release certain details about F1 2020 right now. From a personal point of view, right now I'm happy that I can finally discuss it, or no longer call it "Codemasters - Future titles"

However, I can confirm multiplayer performance is something we are looking into. As well as a bit of fun for our fellow forum users (and a good place to race on a Friday afternoon), we have been running our league in F1 2019 so I can experience the problems first hand too, which was something we ran into on Friday (before I worked at CM, i played a lot of Career, but had no one to race with online). I have been able to directly report the issues into the dev's for assessment. (the guys in the league will be able to back me up on this one 😛 )

Exactly what and how we are looking into this is, honestly, something that I can't discuss in detail without giving far too much away for future plans with F1 2020 and the next steps we want to take. The trailer was simply that, a piece of media confirming we are doing the 2020 game, its release date and the headline features. We will communicate more details in future reveals, and further plans CM/I have that involve users on this forum too.

I hope you can understand that, at this precise moment in time, I cannot comment on further details on F1 2020. I understand everyone's need to know more, and I'll try my best to get as much information out as and when I'm allowed to do so.

Thanks a lot for this actual answer! It is a great relief to hear that multiplayer is being looked at, and that at least someone at Codematers is getting to experience the issues that all of us have been reporting since the beta. Maybe you can also give some feedback to them on how the game is being tested! seeing as you ran into issues very quickly, the testing was either rushed or not done correctly. And it would be a shame if the same happened to f1 2020. 

It saddens me that you can't say more about the 'future plans' of the game, But the fact that there are any 'plans' that concern multiplayer to talk about is already a great step up from f1 2019, where multiplayer seemed to be completely absent from the agenda. (Proven by the fact that the 'spectator tv graphics' don't get used in 'spectator mode' in multiplayer)

I hope these are not just empty words, and also that they are actually testing this game this time around. 

Quick question although I think you might not be allowed to give this information:  So it appears there can be 22 cars in career (11 teams). Does this mean we will be able to enter 22 (or even more) drivers in multiplayer (leagues) too? I understand if you can't answer that. but the prospect does get me exited. 

Cheers!

9 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

Quick question although I think you might not be allowed to give this information:  So it appears there can be 22 cars in career (11 teams). Does this mean we will be able to enter 22 (or even more) drivers in multiplayer (leagues) too? I understand if you can't answer that. but the prospect does get me exited. 

Considering there are 22 cars in F2 this year I would assume the online lobbies can have 22 drivers 

1 minute ago, Bicarda said:

Thanks a lot for this actual answer! It is a great relief to hear that multiplayer is being looked at, and that at least someone at Codematers is getting to experience the issues that all of us have been reporting since the beta. Maybe you can also give some feedback to them on how the game is being tested! seeing as you ran into issues very quickly, the testing was either rushed or not done correctly. And it would be a shame if the same happened to f1 2020. 

It saddens me that you can't say more about the 'future plans' of the game, But the fact that there are any 'plans' that concern multiplayer to talk about is already a great step up from f1 2019, where multiplayer seemed to be completely absent from the agenda. (Proven by the fact that the 'spectator tv graphics' don't get used in 'spectator mode' in multiplayer)

I hope these are not just empty words, and also that they are actually testing this game this time around. 

Cheers!

Hi @Bicarda,

Thanks for the understanding, I appreciate that. This is sort of new territory for me, with the world potentially watching what I'm saying (I'm having to re-write things about 5 times before every post haha)

To answer your question, at the moment, I'm unsure on whether the 22 car grid is for MyTeam exclusively or something that will be further reaching in other areas of the game (It would certainly spice up our league with another team to fill). I don't think that anything more than 22 would be logical in my opinion. I know there used to be 24 car grids in previous editions, but that was when there was 12 official teams. But again, just my opinion right now and could be subject to change.

• Thanks 1