DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
How to contact Customer Service Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GAME BREAKING slow sequential shifting.

I've been mildly annoyed with this delay between sequential shifts. I have to wait until (I assume) the "clutch" is released until I can shift on to the next. The new hillclimb track/cars have made this problem intensely apparent. This leaves me in very awkward situations like sitting stationary, agonizingly moving through the gears. I simply cannot recover from a spinout in a timely fashion. I need to be able to switch to a gear as needed. It can easily take five seconds to get from fourth to reverse gear. Unacceptable! This really crushes any fun that I could be having playing what's shaping up to be an otherwise awesome game.

PS. I'm playing with an Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller.

I use H-box and it's slow for me as well in the 405 T16. But I just shift as I normally would and it does move forward... the shifts just sound very, very slow. I don't know what's up with that. It's like it idles for a moment between each gear before getting the revs up. Like it would if a 90-year old did the shifting. :)

Well it sounds slow, I don't feel that it actually is.. so maybe your problem is a different one.

In 2010's WRC, I agree that they are to slow.

However, I really like that they are slow in all the other cars, as they had H-shifter, and clutch (even the 95 cars had that). When people use automagic, or non-clutch systems on those car, I feel it's pretty right that the game should go safely through the motion with clutching, gearing etc. And yes, it should be a bit slower than H-shifter + forced clutch. It's just how it is.

I use H+Clutch on all cars with the exception of the 2010's, and I don't feel the gearing is slow at all. It gears as fast as I do. It's more down to me, than anything else. Just like it should be.

The pp cars shift way to slow, especially in automatic mode, also the ford sierra automatic doesn't work anymore since update. 

Didn't all of those pp-cars have clutch that needed to be used though? 

Myrvold said:

The shifts are slow even with swift clutch usage. It just takes a loooong time for the car to start revving between the gears.

Myrvold said:
When people use automagic, or non-clutch systems on those car, I feel it's pretty right that the game should go safely through the motion with clutching, gearing etc.
I'm not arguing against this, but as I brake heavily into a hairpin (or crash into something :s) one typically isn't required to release the clutch into every gear before getting to the desired gear. If I could get to the gear then wait for the clutch to engage, I feel that would be more appropriate.

I've also thought about, as an experiment, removing the neutral gear from between reverse and first gears, then holding down a shift button would be neutral. Releasing the shift button would complete the shift up or down.

Myrvold said:

The shifts are slow even with swift clutch usage. It just takes a loooong time for the car to start revving between the gears.
Can't say I've noticed this, for me it grips whenever I release the clutch.

Myrvold said:
When people use automagic, or non-clutch systems on those car, I feel it's pretty right that the game should go safely through the motion with clutching, gearing etc.
I'm not arguing against this, but as I brake heavily into a hairpin (or crash into something :s) one typically isn't required to release the clutch into every gear before getting to the desired gear. If I could get to the gear then wait for the clutch to engage, I feel that would be more appropriate.

I've also thought about, as an experiment, removing the neutral gear from between reverse and first gears, then holding down a shift button would be neutral. Releasing the shift button would complete the shift up or down.
Keep the clutch in and shift down.
If you use an H-Shifter, skip some gears.

I really like that it is this way, even though I understand that it might not be a completely equal playing field when it is this way, that is the price to pay to have that level of simulation. It shouldn't be a "punishment" to drive the cars like they were driven. Other than the increased risk of damage.

I hope it continues to be like this, it's the first game I've ever used H+Clutch in, so I am far from an expert. But I like it! :)

Myrvold said:
Myrvold said:

Can't say I've noticed this, for me it grips whenever I release the clutch.

Yes, there's nothing wrong with the grip or anything. Just the sound.

Myrvold said:

I really like that it is this way, even though I understand that it might not be a completely equal playing field when it is this way, that is the price to pay to have that level of simulation. It shouldn't be a "punishment" to drive the cars like they were driven. Other than the increased risk of damage.

I hope it continues to be like this, it's the first game I've ever used H+Clutch in, so I am far from an expert. But I like it! :)
I'm using an Xbox 360 controller. As much as I'd love a full setup like you're suggesting, I don't have the space nor the funds for one. I'm sure I'm not the only rally fan that plays with just a gamepad as well.

Which brings me to another point; the left bumper isn't mapped to anything. It would be great to have a clutch available to us gamepad users, similar to the Forza 3+ series. But this really wouldn't solve this laggy shifting for those who prefer the semi-automatic transmission setting, like it is now.

Myrvold said:

However, I really like that they are slow in all the other cars, as they had H-shifter, and clutch (even the 95 cars had that). When people use automagic, or non-clutch systems on those car, I feel it's pretty right that the game should go safely through the motion with clutching, gearing etc. And yes, it should be a bit slower than H-shifter + forced clutch. It's just how it is.

I use H+Clutch on all cars with the exception of the 2010's, and I don't feel the gearing is slow at all. It gears as fast as I do. It's more down to me, than anything else. Just like it should be.

Well, cars with h-shifter dogboxes should still shift faster than they do right now. No clutch needed just lift off and pull the next gear.

https://youtu.be/NGpbFgfMdDY

Myrvold said:

I'm using an Xbox 360 controller. As much as I'd love a full setup like you're suggesting, I don't have the space nor the funds for one. I'm sure I'm not the only rally fan that plays with just a gamepad as well.

Which brings me to another point; the left bumper isn't mapped to anything. It would be great to have a clutch available to us gamepad users, similar to the Forza 3+ series. But this really wouldn't solve this laggy shifting for those who prefer the semi-automatic transmission setting, like it is now.

Ye, I am fully aware of the situation, both regarding space and funds, been there myself, and at the moment I have a 3.5 square metres room, with the apartment boiler as well in it. So, ye - but it is how it is, I hope they keep it this way. I feel, when you get the positive and negative sides from both setups, that they are fairly equal! :)

bogani said:
Myrvold said:

Well, cars with h-shifter dogboxes should still shift faster than they do right now. No clutch needed just lift off and pull the next gear.
Ah! I was under the impression that they didn't use dogbox, nor sequential until the WRC car in 97, and then the paddle-style in 99(or was it 00)! if so, then I am wrong, and you are right. And thus, I agree with you! :)

I agree, I'm using a sequential stick from my GT Driving Force steering wheel and a lot of times I've been too fast for the gearbox and if I want to skip 2 gears I have to wait for the clutch to kick in to go 1 gear down, and then it leaves me in 2nd gear while I actually wanted to get into 1st gear =/
Working on Master Championship now on Group A, sometimes it really takes time and on this difficulty, I can't have my car wondering what gear it wants to pick, I simply don't have the time do wander around.

Agree, it should be fixed. (Also looking into getting a G27 because I really do need a clutch.

Myrvold said:

bogani said:
Myrvold said:

Ah! I was under the impression that they didn't use dogbox, nor sequential until the WRC car in 97, and then the paddle-style in 99(or was it 00)! if so, then I am wrong, and you are right. And thus, I agree with you! :)
Funny thing is that the paddles are being used again. Saw it in Portugal. 

I should clarify. In DiRT Rally, the player cannot shift unless the clutch is fully engaged, regardless of the car. Meaning the player needs to wait for the clutch (which he cannot control with a gamepad) to engage before shifting again. This shouldn't be the case. The player should be able to freely change gears as he sees fit, resetting the clutch every time. This problem may be solved by allowing the player control of the clutch, but that would increase difficulty and would not suit players that do not wish to use it.

Is it possible to add a system where multiple presses of the gear button within the time the game takes to shift once would make the gear select go straight to the gear for how many presses you did. I'm having trouble getting to reverse after a spin in a high gear, its a pain.

If I spin out in 5th gear and mash the gear down button as fast as possible the car should skip down gears instead of going down one-by-one.

Raiden283 said:
Is it possible to add a system where multiple presses of the gear button within the time the game takes to shift once would make the gear select go straight to the gear for how many presses you did. I'm having trouble getting to reverse after a spin in a high gear, its a pain.

If I spin out in 5th gear and mash the gear down button as fast as possible the car should skip down gears instead of going down one-by-one.
I totally agree. Hair-Pins are really a nightmare as I have to start shifting way before even if I don't engage the gas. Recovering is also a pain. FYI it IS possible to go from 5th to 1st by long pressing the down-shifter... But usually I go in 2nd through the dirt corners thus this is not an option for me.

Another big problem with this: When I push twice I never know which gear I ended up in. If I press too fast the second press is simply ignored. Pressing to slow I end up in the wall/valley/tree... So I end up looking on the HUD for the gear I'm in which really breaks the game ;(

jenomx said in response to Raiden283:
I totally agree. Hair-Pins are really a nightmare as I have to start shifting way before even if I don't engage the gas. Recovering is also a pain. FYI it IS possible to go from 5th to 1st by long pressing the down-shifter... But usually I go in 2nd through the dirt corners thus this is not an option for me.

Another big problem with this: When I push twice I never know which gear I ended up in. If I press too fast the second press is simply ignored. Pressing to slow I end up in the wall/valley/tree... So I end up looking on the HUD for the gear I'm in which really breaks the game ;(
I didn't know about holding down down-shift, but agree that it's of little use for most situations.

I think the best solution to this problem would be to make every press of the shift buttons count, no matter how fast. Also, I don't know how many others use it, but that neutral position between reverse and first seems unnecessary, and merely adds more time to switch to reverse to recover from a spin out.

Myrvold said:

Can't say I've noticed that. For me it kicks off as soon as I have let go of the clutch.

Myrvold said:

Well, keep the clutch in, you don't have to release it to be able to change gear again.
If you have an H-shifter, then skip some gears.

I really like it this way, while I get that it doesn't always give an equal playing field, I like that it is this way, it feels like an even better simulation then.
This is is also the first time I've used H+Clutch in any racing/rally sim, so I am far from an expert, but I like it! :)