Jump to content Jump to content

Oculus getting free GOTY - Steam VR isn't

I bought Dirt Rally 2.0 on Steam specifically to play in VR with my new Index. Outside of being disappointed with performance (3700x, 16GB RAM, 2070 RTX), I now learnt that the Oculus store version gets all the GOTY content for free. Doesn't seem fair really - there was no notice that I should be buying the Oculus version if wanting it for VR when I bought it on Steam. Normally I don't have to research what store to buy a game from... what gives? 

• Social Media & Community Team

The reason why:

• Oculus version doesn't do DLC entitlements the way every other platform does, it's "everything unlocked" or "nothing unlocked", for everyone.
  • Oculus version pretty much never got discounted, so right up until GOTY release it was full price whereas Steam was discounted heavily.
  • Once GOTY came out, that became the only version available on Oculus, the price comparable to GOTY content on other platforms.

OK thanks for the reply. Are there likely to be any more patches for the Steam VR version? It seems like there's some easy wins, like defaulting to lower (and windowed) display resolution + settings for that view.  

I've posted some related detail here 

On 4/7/2020 at 1:17 PM, PJTierney said:

Oculus version doesn't do DLC entitlements the way every other platform does, it's "everything unlocked" or "nothing unlocked", for everyone.

Are you sure about that PJ, because the DLC for games like Beat Saber on the Oculus Store work on an individial basis. Its not an all or nothing thing at all. You can buy individual songs for £1.49, or you can buy multi song packs for whatever they sell for. From what I have seen of DLC on the Oculus Store, it works exactly like it does on Steam and Xbox live.

I will admit though, Oculus Store owners really deserved to get the DLC like this. Given how long they had to wait for it in the first place. So a nice good will gesture, regardless of the reasons it was released in such a way.

• Social Media & Community Team

DR2 uses a custom entitlement system on all other platforms, as DLC does not typically release on the same day as a patch. Patches for example were every 4 weeks in 2019 whereas DLC was every 2 weeks.

22 hours ago, PJTierney said:

A few updates lined up for the game as a whole, but I don't have info on specific VR updates.

Would be great to know if they are - myself and other's here are more likely to buy the DLC. Can't speak for all but if I knew the plan was to continue to work on the VR support, I would happily support development by buying the DLC.   

Archived