DiRT Rally 2.0 - In-Game Server Connectivity

PJTierney

For general connectivity issues we don't provide one-to-one support on the forums, and you're best off emailing custservice@codemasters.com

Reporting issues in this thread is still useful however, as a large volume of reports in a short space of time clearly indicates wider connectivity issues and helps alert the support team.

Any major issues (ie: ones affecting the majority of players) will be posted about on Twitter @dirtgame.

If you're not seeing anything there, then any issue you have is likely isolated to you and/or a very small number of players.

Message added by PJTierney

PJTierney

If you are getting e4669c75-58-58, go here. This is common on Windows 7.

Message added by PJTierney

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

That's not what I stated.

The only graph I see (and rightly so) is the concurrent users. Given the myriad of data sources and server call types a game like this would have, I imagine there are far more detailed logs elsewhere. It's not my job to look at those, only to trust the word of those that do 🙂 

That's how it feels and looks from a customer point of view.

I also expect there to be lots of very detailed, complicated data for people to look at. But the fact is, during EU-evenings there are big issues. The amount of people posting here is small compared to different forums, discords and facebook groups that I'm a part of (and I'm not really part of many). These daily issues have also been a thing since the amount of players started to grow when countries started shutting down. They got better for a little while after the worst period, and then they just went back to how it was before.
So, it feels like there is some possibilities. Game is to old, there's not much more money left to get from it, Codemasters just don't care (which would explain why there was such an effort when the huge influx from the free period, as there is DLC to sell). But now there's not many new PS4 players joining in so cost v revenue isn't in favor of putting down work anymore.
Or the game isn't a priority as new games are on the way, so it's just not anything that matters.
Or there has been a serious attempt at fixing it, but whatever system that's made just doesn't seem to be fixable, or whatever part of the company that has that as a task isn't able to fix it.

Honestly not sure which of those possibilities that's the most frightening from a customer PoV. Of course there might be other reasons, but something worked when easter started, then something stopped working after a while. And it all feels like server capacity is maxed out. Too much connections or attempts to connect, surely not helped by the seemingly endless points in the game where it sends and inquiry to the site/server to get data, instead of spending 0.3 second more to gather more data when it first connects.

Also, I do sympathize with your position in this. I run loads of kiosks on football stadiums where I live, and there are so many times we have tech.issues that's out of my control (wi-fi, electricity etc.) but as the boss I step in and take the flak instead of my employees. When in my hobby I have hosted quite a few eSport-events, and I know that as I am the main person to contact, I will get all the complaints etc. even when e.g RaceNet is down, which is nothing I can fix. I cannot make the rallies last longer etc. As I said I really sympathize with you, as I know you'll hear much more from us when things are bad, than praise when things work.

I hope I'm wrong, but fear I'm right.

EDIT: This was edited in after I quoted your initial post.

29 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I'd love to be able to turn around one day and say something along the line of "the team has found what causes these things and has issued a conclusive fix" (somewhat like when we said that native Oculus VR support was finally coming to the Steam version), but until that day comes there's not a whole lot I can do really. Server instabilities happen, sometimes total outages, and I pass the word on in both directions.

Maybe I'm not accurately reporting them, not reporting frequently enough, or haven't come up with an effective way for you all to give more conclusive feedback, I don't know. Or maybe I'm not coming up with an effective system for communicating things in the other direction. The reality of the matter is that I don't really know what to say to make things better for you guys, maybe I can't, maybe it's not up to me.

Ideally I want you all to never have the need to post in this thread again, for you all to be happily playing away without things interrupting your progress. Hopefully that day comes in the near future.

I would also love you to be able to say that. The frustrating thing is that at this point, the only things that can make this better is "there is a solution" or "it now works". So it's not really up to you in that sense I guess.
But ye, something worked after the biggest issues, then the same something stopped working. I guess there's a reason why some (like me) thinks that there is a solution, but it's not worth it cost-wise.

Edited by Myrvold
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

99,9% of the time it is not the access to the game but the connection breaks off after the event or between the stages

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Xbox One X

Central USA

V1.13.0

Standard Xbox One controller

Gigabit internet connection

Connecting to RaceNet is still incredibly slow most of the time and I am still getting connection errors. These issues have been ongoing since April 7th for me.

Update 30 April 2020: RaceNet seems to be working well today.

Edited by FlatOverCrest
Update

Just lost another championship due to "a discrepancy between local and RaceNet save data was detected", how can this still be happening more that a year after the game was released? It is a disgrace

12 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Maybe I'm not accurately reporting them, not reporting frequently enough, or haven't come up with an effective way for you all to give more conclusive feedback, I don't know. Or maybe I'm not coming up with an effective system for communicating things in the other direction. The reality of the matter is that I don't really know what to say to make things better for you guys, maybe I can't, maybe it's not up to me.

I think you should provide them URL link to this discussion. And they (devs, monitoring team etc) should monitor the system.
It's obvious we are not talking about issues of single persons but it's about general problem with RaceNet instead.

Yes, it's not up to you. You can do nothing. But it's getting to be kinda obvious that nobody in dev department cares (or there are other priorities) about reliability of this part of the system. Or... it's f* up development/architecture-wise to the extent that it's impossible to fix it, lets say without huge investments (ie time to deliver).

On the other side from company you provides paid services I would expect a promise of fixing issues incl ETA.

Im not the kind of guy who complains alot, but Its becoming unplayable for me last few nights.. its really really bad.. even set stage times wont upload and gives u somekind of error code.

Really who came up with the 'briliant' idea of making this whole game rely on under par servers? its not like we cant do a certain gamemode, its just completely impossible to do anything.

really i wouldnt complain if i didnt love this game to bits, but i forced myself to some Project Cars 2 rallycross now (which never lets me down) untill Racenet returns working. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Ideally I want you all to never have the need to post in this thread again, for you all to be happily playing away without things interrupting your progress. Hopefully that day comes in the near future. 

I doubt its about you and how you deliever info to the guys doing the coding. Im sure at least someone of the devs thats working on Dirt Rally play the game themselves when they off work and if they do its obvious its not working very well. They should not need graphs or reports from you to be able to notice that something is very wrong.

Edited by somethingthing

Surprise surprise, another day in the Dirt Rally 2.0 s*** parade. Here’s what I think to that! 

3AB39EAF-CB59-4BB4-B3CC-1B630A047342.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Its already very slow and its usually not this bad at this time during the days. I was going to repair a car in a daily and it took 15 seconds loading time before it failed.

Edited by somethingthing

17 hours ago, PJTierney said:

The reality of the matter is that I don't really know what to say to make things better for you guys, maybe I can't, maybe it's not up to me.

I think it's the latter.

It just honestly feels like a capacity issue, and I am guessing that that's what everyone here suspects. I do not think it's some weird bug that Codies just can't figure out, but rather, it's just that Racenet was already notoriously poor from the start and wasn't made to handle the load it has now. It bombed with an influx of PSN players that CM already knew were coming, and it drops out repeatedly for a % of players every 24 hours, predictably. It looks pretty clear.

If that's the case (that it's just load), the decision-makers at CM will be asking one thing: "Will the expense of upgrading be less than the money made back from happier customers?" If no, they won't upgrade. And I think that's a very, very, very likely no.

And that's a situation that certainly wouldn't be something PJTierney could announce.

It's not even shifting that much network traffic so it really is a poor effort. Dirt Rally 2.0 pushes literally a small number of RX races that need real-time updating while everything else is tiny amounts of data for times and connections. RX aside, establishing connections has got to be the hardest thing Racenet has to do. Is it running on someone's Pentium II or something?

Just buy another Pentium guys, please.

• Haha 1

@XenialJ I totally agree with all you’ve said. Basically it’s a NO, they are not willing to invest in upgrading the DR2.0 servers to take a bigger load. Why would they when they have already made a mass amount of money from it. 

Netherlands: only 1 error / Retry action needed today. Improvement...

The server problem is always at the end of a stage and this to 100%
Starting the game is not the problem I get in immediately but just after a stage there is no connection to 99,9% of the time

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

...here we go...im stuck here...middle of weekly in sweden...

Very very nice...

IMG_20200430_002744.jpg

Edited by IygVanDyk
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IygVanDyk said:

...here we go...im stuck here...middle of weekly in sweden...

Very very nice...

IMG_20200430_002744.jpg

yes as already said the problem is always after the end of a stage

• Agree 1

Ouh, sorry i didn't see you post.

But you are right.

And i solved problem with little lucky and didn't get dnf.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Platform: PS4

Region: Turkey

Club Championships

There is couple of local championchips going on in my area right now and last 7-8 days I’ve been getting this error at least once a day. There is no way getting past this error, I have to give up and accept getting DNF’d. This particular error happened around 17:15 today. I tried many times because I’m tired of losing my progress, tried resetting my router, etc... Finally gave up and put the PS4 on rest mode. It’s 21:45 right now and I’m still stuck at the same error screen. Don’t you even have a workaround or a hotfix on the way for reuploading progress after certain amount of time? Because I’m fairly certain game is not even trying to make a connection right now, if I get an error thats it, not even trying to reconnect after 4.30 hours later...

1A4B935C-99B6-4BE6-904F-7AF8CD416CBF.jpeg

Edited by exolee
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Same here, I'm stuck after finishing the 5th(?) stage in the 2000cc weekly, and will most likely be forced to a DNF. "Retry" pops up the same error immediately, without the usual wait until a another failed connection error or successful progression. When the error that ends in -58 shows at this point, it's still possible to get around it with a few retries, but this one seems impossible to circumvent as "Retry" doesn't seem to work properly. I can go back and successfully navigate inside the stage leaderboard to download new entries, but have no way to continue to the next stage. There were no connectivity problems on the event prior to this.

Steam/Portugal

connf.png

Update: After more than an hour of being stuck and then finally pressing "Go To Main Menu", I was greeted with "In Progress" over this Weekly Event thumbnail (instead of the expected DNF), so I was able to resume and finish it. Pffeeeww. But then, I've been affected with an odometer bug on the car (which gleylancer571 mentioned a few times before) that suddenly gave me access to max upgrades due to excessive driven distance computed for this 7 stage event. TBF, I didn't check the hud odometer when I was able to resume the 6th stage from the events menu, but I guess it had been messed by that point. Could it have added kms for each retry attempt?

Before this Event, I had done only one short Daily on the Impreza (2008), leaving me with about ~34% progression until the next engine map upgrade (II, second), most likely with just ~5km driven in the car. Now after finishing the current Weekly event, I was greeted with a progression circle that completed the fourth upgrade diagram. Then, after going to garage to check the car stats I got all upgrades unlocked due to 865km "driven" in the car in only 2 (real) events:

2events800km.jpg

fullunlock.jpg

:classic_unsure: (this almost feels like cheating)

Edited by AlleyViper
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AlleyViper said:

Same here, I'm stuck after finishing the 5th(?) stage in the 2000cc weekly, and will most likely be forced to a DNF. "Retry" pops up the same error immediately, without the usual wait until a another failed connection error or successful progression. When the error that ends in -58 shows at this point, it's still possible to get around it with a few retries, but this one seems impossible to circumvent as "Retry" doesn't seem to work properly. I can go back and successfully navigate inside the stage leaderboard to download new entries, but have no way to continue to the next stage. There were no connectivity problems on the event prior to this.

Steam/Portugal

connf.png

Update: After more than an hour of being stuck and then finally pressing "Go To Main Menu", I was greeted with "In Progress" over this Weekly Event thumbnail (instead of the expected DNF), so I was able to resume and finish it. Pffeeeww. But then, I've been affected with an odometer bug on the car (which gleylancer571 mentioned a few times before) that suddenly gave me access to max upgrades due to excessive driven distance computed for this 7 stage event. TBF, I didn't check the hud odometer when I was able to resume the 6th stage from the events menu, but I guess it had been messed by that point. Could it have added kms for each retry attempt?

Before this Event, I had done only one short Daily on the Impreza (2008), leaving me with about ~34% progression until the next engine map upgrade (II, second), most likely with just ~5km driven in the car. Now after finishing the current Weekly event, I was greeted with a progression circle that completed the fourth upgrade diagram. Then, after going to garage to check the car stats I got all upgrades unlocked due to 865km "driven" in the car in only 2 (real) events: 

2events800km.jpg

fullunlock.jpg

:classic_unsure: (this almost feels like cheating)

Kilometers are added per attempted connection setup

But today the server runs really fast and without problems

The thing i don't get is why there isnt any substaniated answer to our server questions, other than" we are looking into it" yet.

As you know the game isnt very much playable without the required racenet connection. Can't you at least aknowledge the fact there is a problem with racenet or the connection to it?

Forum pages are filled with complaints about this (not only here), every single Facebook message Codemasters posts, people are begging to fix the Racenet servers in the reactions. 

and if its not possible due to whatever reason...  just tell us if it won't happen!  in my opinion the game hasn't been in a more worse state after release. 

28 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

what happend to @PJTierneys post about the server update a couple of days ago?

A server update did happen, but just getting clarity on what specifically changed 👍🏻

In either case, weekends are usually the toughest for Clubs in particular, so I'll keep an eye out and if they seem solid I may be able to share more specifics on what changed.