DiRT Rally 2.0 - In-Game Server Connectivity

PJTierney

For general connectivity issues we don't provide one-to-one support on the forums, and you're best off emailing custservice@codemasters.com

Reporting issues in this thread is still useful however, as a large volume of reports in a short space of time clearly indicates wider connectivity issues and helps alert the support team.

Any major issues (ie: ones affecting the majority of players) will be posted about on Twitter @dirtgame.

If you're not seeing anything there, then any issue you have is likely isolated to you and/or a very small number of players.

Message added by PJTierney

PJTierney

If you are getting e4669c75-58-58, go here. This is common on Windows 7.

Message added by PJTierney

On 5/16/2020 at 10:27 AM, wikke1984 said:

unable to connect to server 

Plz fix codies

platform : steam20200516_112201.thumb.jpg.c255b23da964c76748bfc40238f790c7.jpg

From the pinned thread:

Try this:

It's also at the top of this very thread:

image.png

I am on a fresh install of windows 10. And my windows is up to date. Do i need to try those steps then of windows 7??

I went into dirt rally this morning it Has lost all my progress and also says I cannot access clubs in race net due to not having locations and cars but in store all is installed

• Sad 1

Over the last week or so I reinstalled the game from scratch and have been able to participate in my clubs since. I think a dirty patch went out and that's what is causing this. It's still pretty bad that it has persisted but if anyone is having issues try reinstalling the game.

I just bought the game 3 days ago and already lost my career progression as well yesterday evening due to server problem connection, I play in Switzerland. What is bothering me is that we download 109 Giga bytes of data to finally play a career mode if we are online, this is not normal, and it crashes many times... How can we simply progress in the game and have that "joy" of playing and achieving stuff when this is just no possible because of the bad necessity to be connected to this fake Racenet server system... And since more than 1 year, it seems like this server problem will never be solved... so basically to play te real game is impossible...

I suggest you a simple solution once and for all : make un update of the game to be able to play the "My Team career mode" normally without internet connection, so we can choose if we want to have online stats comparison with other players or not, I mean there is no necessity to be connected to play "My Team career mode", at least put the internet connection just to be able to buy things to add to the game but not for the game itself...

And for other "Live" challenges, events, clubs etc you really need to invest in a good server system that goes with it...

Last question : is there any possibilty to get reimbursed if we decide to no more playing the game and to uninstall it? I mean there is worlwide rule for customers of "a 14days period" to retract from buying any stuff right?

• Like 1

It's unbelievable the amount of support this forum has gotten. I've been lurking since april 20th and they literally have the social media team dealing with CONNECTIVITY ISSUES posting the same ******** "fix error code windows 7 users" yet nobody has said they have windows 7, actually Creegz has been mentioning he has a fully updated computer with windows 10 and PJTierney has been completely ignoring and then posts again unrelated, unhelpful posts. Are you listening to your players Codemasters??? **** server connectivity issues, remove the entire fact i need upload my race for a SINGLE PLAYER CAREER MODE to not get a DNF. Never purchasing Dirt 5 or any future content you create if you continue this pathetic support, horrible online singleplayer mode. I absolutely love Dirt Rally, put over 1000+ hours in it, but the fact you guys completely ruined this game with me constantly losing races because of server connectivity issues, not being able to repair my cars because i lose all my credits. You guys understand the game is unplayable when NO ONE can connect? I don't give a **** about freemode. Whats the point of a career mode when you CAN'T EVEN ACCESS IT OR ******* PROGRESS. I play games to progress through them, level up, that good stuff. But nah i'm stuck at lvl 0 doing freemode with NO REWARDS, NO GRATIFICATION AND NO PROGRESSION.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 5/9/2020 at 1:35 AM, rblrenan said:

PS4, Brazil

in the middle of the IA monthly event
I can load the ranking just fine, but I can't progress on the event 

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-09 at 01.32.06.jpeg

IT HAPPENED AGAIN
It's impossible to play monthly and weekly events because of this

• Sad 1

Hey I just saw this thread a day after posting a complaint in tech support. I'm not going to excuse my obvious anger when I wrote it because it was justified and expected. I can forgive any dev for not being able to solve issues over a year after a release if the problem lies deep in the code and was only there because of ambitious game design of overall benefit to the customers who paid for it. However when the bugs are not bugs at all but a direct, predictable and easily avoidable result of a universally hated design decision then there is no excuse at all for not changing the design to use offline save files for offline play and only use online storage for online play. I could not give a literal cylindrical brown soft object about MY single player times being uploaded for others to see. I ONLY purchased this game for offline play, every other game I play enables me to back up my game data to avoid losses from local corruption. My save game is literally in someone else's hands who takes zero responsibility for its safety and integrity. Cloud services should only be used with customer permission only as BACKUP. No other need for online storage exists that is for the customer's benefit.

Please end this farcical, product breaking and dictatorial design choice NOW and restore to us the working great game it has the potential to become. I want to be playing this in ten years it's THAT good or it would be if this despicable server connection garbage is removed forever. Im not a proverbial 'angry gamer'  I'm a retired dude nearing 60 and had to endure enough real life tragedies to expect that I can at least escape by playing a game that by conscious design is NOT broken.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Start another career and FOUR races in it dumps me AGAIN

NOT ACCEPTABLE!!

@PJTierney

Please assure me this will be fixed as a matter of priority or may I please have a refund? Seeing as career is totally BROKEN mate I think one of the 2 is acceptable right?

😫

Both my careers have been destroyed as soon as I continue to next event and then quit to menu. I'd give you a report code but this particular beta does not seem to have them displayed? Salty post? Yes. I ordered the house special but for some reason before I can even get through the first course the waiter takes all my food away!

Refund or fix please.

EDIT: there is a 3rd option. Admit this server garbage is broken and make public cheat codes so I can get of beginner mode and progress. Winning rallies by one and half minutes is no challenge. Except in the rain of course where I LOSE by 90 seconds. IRL outr eyes have depth of field that blurs rain on the windscreen so we can clearly see the road ahead. Sadly in the game someone's hard work on the raindrops results in unrealistic sharply focused and multiple visual distractions on the screen that give me a headache. I would like tol see wither rain realistically blurred on the screen or DOF added to the game so they will be automatically blurred. I know this is not the thread for rain complaints but for some reason after a 3 hour session I have wasted all that time so maybe a few seconds reading this whine is acceptable.

dr2 career shit 2.png

Edited by sloppysmusic
  • Agree 1

Sadly , for some very odd reason , the Codemasters Developers are not interested in fixing this obvious issue.

I proposed that a local encrypted Save File be created by the Game if it cannot upload to the Server , and then when a connnection can be re-established, it uploads and life goes on.

But it seems to be an impossible mountain to climb out for the Studio...

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, SpringbokGamer said:

Sadly , for some very odd reason , the Codemasters Developers are not interested in fixing this obvious issue.

I proposed that a local encrypted Save File be created by the Game if it cannot upload to the Server , and then when a connnection can be re-established, it uploads and life goes on.

But it seems to be an impossible mountain to climb out for the Studio...

That's a good and obvious solution. At least on ps4 and some of games with yukky cloud services if there is a discrepancy the game tells you that online save predates the offline one and asks if you are OK to continue as you may lose your current save. This game wrecking issue with Dirt Rally 2 has been designed with zero respect for customers who have paid for a fully working game. I can accept bugs it's 2020 every dev leaves them in their games and moves onto their own next money making project but this is literally game breaking. Career mode should be renamed ONLINE CHALLENGE MODE. It just doesn't have what it takes to be called a career modd at all. Thanks for answering I'm glad this issue hasn't killed the game off yet but.... It explains the crazy deals and low ball sales. As long as they expect payment for it we should expect the features listed on the box.

Been trying to connect to server for 3 days now. PS4, USA Region. Everything else on the PS4 works fine, DirtRally is the only game with issues. Please do something. 

Dirt.jpg

• Sad 1

Got this error whilst playing career mode at around 21:25 British Summer Time. First error I've had with the game and its getting quite annoying now cause I'm gonna lose the career progress I've made.

dirt rally 2 error.png

So for the past week the servers have been completely broken for me, not just for DR 2.0 but also for F1 2020 now. But in an incredibly inconsistent way, the game will let me through after one error, then go back to a network error when it comes to actually entering a race to where it's just a matter of constantly trying to join in order to get it to work, I don't understand why your servers are like this. Games that use racenet are the ONLY ones I have any issues with

20200712163827_1.jpg

20200712163832_1.jpg

20200712163801_1.jpg

I am having the exact same issue via Steam and Windows 10. Constant connection errors, very frustrating.

• Like 1

Completely unable to get into career mode today (Australia/Telstra, PC/Steam).

Couple days ago sent an email to Customer Service, and got this back:

Thank you for submitting your recent request to Codemasters Customer Services concerning Dirt Rally 2.0.

We are sorry that you are having problems with the game.

Unfortunately, due to many people being isolated at home, internet traffic is currently very busy and this will inevitably will lead to problems with connections, logins etc.

You can check if there are any reported server issues on our Twitter feeds...

https://twitter.com/dirtgame
https://twitter.com/Formula1game
https://twitter.com/gridgame

The way I read this reply is "we won't be trying to fix this".

Twitter account @dirtgame is pretty much solid marketing drumming up DiRT 5 and e-sports cuts, with not a single pip about the backend servers having any problems.

I wonder if collectively tweeting at @bell_sms (Codies' CEO) would help in any shape, way, or form?

7 hours ago, dk114 said:

I wonder if collectively tweeting at @bell_sms (Codies' CEO) would help in any shape, way, or form?

It won't for 2 reasons:

1. Bombarding somebody on Twitter is the least effective way to get what you want.
  2. He works at Slightly Mad Studios, with no direct connection to DiRT Rally 2.0.

Looking through the concurrent user graph (one of our indicators on if there's a widespread server issue), there was no noticeable drop in connectivity at all. Normally when something's iffy on the server the graph falls to the floor (even if it's only for a second) before going back up again.

Therefore, the most reasonable assumption (and this applies to the last few posts as well) is that it's an isolated issue specific to your connection.

Also, for clarity, major outages are reported on and updated on Twitter, which is what the Customer Service reply is referring to. We haven't had a significant outage since April (when PlayStation Plus brought in more players than expected and overloaded the servers).

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

there was no noticeable drop in connectivity at all.

I wonder if a concurrent connected user number is a good metric to use to determine whether there's a backend problem.

What does it look like when the servers are at capacity? Say for example the backend is capable of handling 1000 concurrent users, after which there are no available "slots" (which could be anything - available backend servers, available TCP sockets, load balancer concurrent connection limits, or any number of other things). Once the number of "available slots" is reached (I'm assuming no automatic scale-out), it could be that the system won't let new user connections, while not dropping any existing ones. In such case you won't see the number of connected users drop; you would just see it stop going up.

What could be useful is a counter of disconnected sessions or server errors (e.g., 503s).

6 minutes ago, dk114 said:

I wonder if a concurrent connected user number is a good metric to use to determine whether there's a backend problem.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it's the only graph I personally have access to. 

I'm not a developer or a network technician, and they likely have access to more things than I do.

They're usually pretty quick to flag and notify people when they see server issues though, I get email reports if there's any downtime.

I am getting error code e4669c75-58-58 when I try to go to career mode. I am using Ubuntu 20.04 in the USA region. Any help with Linux?

The only reliable work-around that I know of so far is to connect to a VPN before starting the game (I use privateinternetaccess.com). For some reason, even connecting to the exit node in the same region I am (Melbourne/Australia) seems to work - I have not seen a single timeout or a server error while playing connected to a VPN..

While it may sound like the ISP may be blocking something and VPN bypasses it, it's not very likely because the game used to work just fine and still works without VPN (although intermittently).

A mystery shrouded in an enigma. 😞

21 hours ago, dk114 said:

The only reliable work-around that I know of so far is to connect to a VPN before starting the game (I use privateinternetaccess.com). For some reason, even connecting to the exit node in the same region I am (Melbourne/Australia) seems to work - I have not seen a single timeout or a server error while playing connected to a VPN..

While it may sound like the ISP may be blocking something and VPN bypasses it, it's not very likely because the game used to work just fine and still works without VPN (although intermittently).

Just tried it with vpn, still can't connect. Thanks anyways

On 7/20/2020 at 9:57 AM, dk114 said:

After three weeks of constant errors (also from Australia) - a VPN has worked for me, thanks.

• Agree 1