DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Best tyres for wet tarmac?

In Spain, when one stage is dry and the next is wet (and vice versa), is it faster to use wet tyres on dry tarmac or dry tyres on wet tarmac?

New here, so I have a related question.....  I only see "wet" tires for asphalt, not gravel.  I'm therefore assuming the gravel tires are knobby off-road things so have tread pattern and thus are OK wet or dry.  This would imply that the "dry" asphalt tires are essentially slicks, and the "wet" asphalt tires are like most regular car road tires, with tread and all to delay (not prevent) hydroplaning.  Is this a correct assumption?

1 hour ago, BayouRally said:

New here, so I have a related question.....  I only see "wet" tires for asphalt, not gravel.  I'm therefore assuming the gravel tires are knobby off-road things so have tread pattern and thus are OK wet or dry.  This would imply that the "dry" asphalt tires are essentially slicks, and the "wet" asphalt tires are like most regular car road tires, with tread and all to delay (not prevent) hydroplaning.  Is this a correct assumption?

You're mostly right, except that dry tarmac rally tires are not exactly slicks, rather they have the minimum amount of treat pattern necessary to make them legal for use on public roads.  Remember, rally cars have to be road legal so they can drive the transport sections between stages.  The exact specifications will depend on local laws and the technical regulations of the rally event.

• Like 1