DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Surprising Steam Achievement Stats

Posted (edited)

I've only got 16 hours in DR2 so far, starting less than a week ago.  In this brief time, I've accumulated a few of the achievements.  Steam tells you what percent of all players have gotten these achievements and I found the results rather shocking, especially as the game has been out a year already.  I mean, I'm new.  I suck in every possible way.  I spent about 1/2 my 16 hours using nothing but a keyboard while waiting for my wheel to arrive.  Yet I seem to have gotten achievements very few can brag about.  So.....  Are the percentages shown real or hallucinatory?  Here's my meager bag of achievements to date and the percentage of the user base that has gotten them as of today (6 Apr 20).

Wheel Spin:  "Win 10 stages without using any assists."  2.7% of players.  "Winning" apparently means merely setting a personal best time in a time trial as when I got this achievement a couple days ago, I hadn't done anything else at all and am usually around 3/4 to 1/2 of the way down the leaderboard for that stage/class combo even when pushing myself.  I had yet to even attempt a My Team thing at this point in my life and only won my 1st career rally stage this morning.  So this one seems extremely easy to get just farting around.  Thus, I find it bizarre that so few folks have it.  Maybe practically everybody uses assists?  Regardless, I get a chuckle out of having this because it might intimidate the competition into thinking I'm much, MUCH better than I really am 😉 

On Thin Ice:  "Complete a clean stage in Monte Carlo."  6.7% of players.  I guess that means merely "don't touch the walls" ?  I dunno because I got this 2 days before "CAUTION, Don't Cut" (see below).  Again, this was achieved in a time trial going pretty damn slow to learn the stage and how the variable ice affected my car.  You'd think everybody would have done that long since.

Finnesse:  "Roll your car and continue in Finland."  7.8% of players.  This happened in a time trial because 1) I suck, 2) I'd never seen that map before , and 3) i didn't have to pay for the damage so why worry about it?.  Surely this has happened to everybody?  So why not just keep going?  Seems a bit fishy that so few have this achievement.

Qualified:  "Complete your first AI Challenge."  10.9% of players.  WHAT?!?!?!?  Less than 11% of players have done this?  What's scaring off the others?  But please DO stay away as placing 30th overall today in the daily, despite sucking, made me feel good 😄.  Plus, I got 16K credits for it 😛 

Against the Clock:  "Complete 10 time trial events."  14.0% of players.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?  How else you gonna learn the car and/or the stage?

CAUTION, Don't Cut:  "Complete a stage without damaging your car."  38.6% of players.  I actually got this in a career rally stage that I managed to win (although I came in 26th for the whole 4-stage event because I suck).  Time trials don't seem to count here as I've done plenty of those very slowly and without damage just to learn the map.  BUT, surely all the people who DON'T suck (especially if they use assists like seems to be the majority position) would have gotten at least 1 damage-free stage by now.  Yet the total is supposedly less than 40% of players.  I find this hard to believe.  But it does make me feel a bit proud of myself.

And then there's my progress toward "Keeping it Real", which is 2/10 even though I put hardcore damage on some days ago.  Turns out, the rally career turns that off and won't let me turn it back on.  And that seems to have buggered the setting across the board as I've been thinking all this time i had it on when doing time trials, and I'm sure my 2/10 in this regard were from those.

Anyway, strange numbers.  What say the more experienced folks?

Edited by BayouRally
  • Agree 1

I think it’s possible we overestimate the stomach gamers today have for games that punish mistakes like this. Great, challenging games heavy on memorization like Battletoads (probably showing my age) would be likely shunned if they came out today. 

This was the first driving game I’ve invested this much time and money into (I bought a wheel and chair just for DR2.0) in a long time precisely because I read how challenging it was. The Dark Souls of driving games is how many reviewers pegged this.  

Super fun game and rewarding because of its difficulty, it will go down in my top games of all time, but there are times the punishment for making a single mistake is huge and that’s a turn off for many people if you don’t have “stick with itism.”  DR2.0 is like the bike level in Battletoads essentially for the entire game. That level broke some kids  back in the day. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I did the daily challenge in the SUBARU Legacy RS a few minutes ago.
I was on to get a top 20 time with just around 6-7 seconds behind the worlds best.
I was pushing extremely hard, but I was already pretty tired.
So I did a very small mistake on the very last corner and the game punched me right in my face, giving me 30 seconds.

I deserved it.

I love it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Takeahnase said:

I think it’s possible we overestimate the stomach gamers today have for games that punish mistakes like this. Great, challenging games heavy on memorization like Battletoads (probably showing my age) would be likely shunned if they came out today. 

I know nothing of Battletoads but I get your drift.  I come from an MMO PVP flightsim background so know all about brutality and steep learning curves both in the game and in its forums.  I was so into this at the time that I went to conventions and had my copy of Robert Shaw's "Air Combat:  Tactics and Maneuvering" signed by the author, whom I actually flew wingman with a number of times back in the day (in real life, he was a Top Gun instructor in the USN).  I did that for a very long time and ultimately got quite good, but got my ass handed to me routinely for the 1st few years in the bloody skies.

This was the first driving game I’ve invested this much time and money into (I bought a wheel and chair just for DR2.0) in a long time precisely because I read how challenging it was. The Dark Souls of driving games is how many reviewers pegged this.  

Yup, me, too.  Bought a wheel and a chair (the latter ain't got here yet) just for this.  Will likely get a shifter in the near future as I HATE the flappy paddles on my wheel already.

Super fun game and rewarding because of its difficulty, it will go down in my top games of all time, but there are times the punishment for making a single mistake is huge and that’s a turn off for many people if you don’t have “stick with itism.”  DR2.0 is like the bike level in Battletoads essentially for the entire game. That level broke some kids  back in the day. 🙂

To me, DR2 is like having pwned countless stupid AI pilots in offline flightsims and then having to face hundreds of bloodthirsty humans using teamwork against you, and they can all quote Shaw's book chapter and verse, and you haven't even heard of it yet.  That was me back in the day.  Here, I'm still getting used to the whole turning right as well as left, plus elevation changes, and the whole pacenotes thing.  BUT, I am picking up on the pacenotes faster than I thought I would.  Although I do leave the graphics for them on as I have a strange sort of dyslexia from inhaling nerve gas in back in Desert Storm, so I am unable to tell left from right without a picture 🙂 

11 minutes ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

I was on to get a top 20 time with just around 6-7 seconds behind the worlds best.
So I did a very small mistake on the very last corner and the game punched me right in my face, giving me 30 seconds.

I deserved it.

I love it.

I'm glad to hear that happens to good drivers, too.  I have wiped out quite a few times already within spitting distance of the finish.  When the codriver says "over finish", I just put the hammer down, ignoring that he also said "unseen left hairpin and..." just before "...over finish" 😄

Posted (edited)

1) Things like exterior camera (including bumper cam), automatic windscreen wipers and clutch override has to be turned on in the assist option which i guess a lot of people use. Maybe some assists are even set to on when you install the game and most just go into driving?

2) I dont own Monte Carlo and the only time i driven it in this game was in some promotional daily. I dont got that achievment with 340h in the game for that reason.

3) Finland is also a DLC which could explain it.

4) It took like 80-100h before i was starting looking into dailys, weeklies and monthlies. Maybe its more players not bothering and just doing career instead? 🙂

5) I only have 3/10 time trial finished. I learn the stages/cars by driving against AI or against other drivers (not time trial).

6) 40% is higher than i thought 🙂

Edited by somethingthing
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

I deserved it.

I love it.

I can top that, I accidentally unlocked the "roll the Legacy in Finland" Achievement when I streamed on DiRT YouTube 😄 

(1:59.50, unlocks at 2:04:10)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, somethingthing said:

1) Things like exterior camera (including bumper cam), automatic windscreen wipers and clutch override has to be turned on in the assist option which i guess a lot of people use. Maybe some assists are even set to on when you install the game and most just go into driving?

Yeah.  Also, if you turn off auto lights and wipers prior to starting the career, the career turns them back on, like it does turning hardcore damage off.  At least it does if you're new, apparently, some sort of auto difficulty thing.  So I guess if you go straight into career, you're stuck with assists.

2) I dont own Monte Carlo and the only time i driven it in this game was in some promotional daily. I dont got that achievment with 340h in the game for that reason.

3) Finland is also a DLC which could explain it.

Ah yes, lack of DLC could explain it.

4) It took like 80-100h before i was starting looking into dailys, weeklies and monthlies. Maybe its more players not bothering and just doing career instead? 🙂

Seems strange.  The career demands money.  Even if you use the free-to-repair starter cars, you still need to train the crew and buy upgrades.  The dailies hand out money faster than career events because there are fewer stages between payouts.  Of course, if your Fulvia is locked up in the middle of a career rally season, you have to use some other car for the dailies, and you'll have to pay for the damage even if you don't have to buy the car itself.  And also, there's the DLC thing, too.  Still, it's easy money.

I'm just surprised so few people do the AI challenges compared to the PVP.  Maybe they just don't see them because you have to scroll all the way to the right?  Or is it they think the AI is beneath their dignity?

5) I only have 3/10 time trial finished. I learn the stages/cars by driving against AI or against other drivers (not time trial).

I guess this is the difference between folks who have been playing rally games for years and those just starting in the genre.

6) 40% is higher than i thought 🙂

LOL :)  I'd still think it would be higher.  Sure, to win you need to be right on the bleeding edge the whole time and often you'll make just a tiny mistake and ding a fender at least.  But you'd think more folks would work up to that gradually, especially if they're not rich.

Here's another strange result I picked up today:

ADAPTABLE:  "Complete a stage in Dry, Overcast, Rain, and Wet conditions."  36.4% of players.  That seems low, given that you see most of these conditions during most events.  Or does it mean all 4 conditions on the SAME stage?  I'm thinking that must be it, as otherwise everybody would have this I'd think.

first of all, regarding all of this, a lot of people bought the game on launch left and didn't come back soon after it came out, because the game was released with a lot of bugs (fairly serious graphical issues on the consoles and bugged trophies, for instance) and a lot of things didn't work as well as might be reasonably expected, (like Ai difficulty differing massively between car classes, FFB being unsatisfactory to a majority of wheel users, not very good tarmac handling, career mode requires internet connection).

so a large percentage of people who own the game didn't play for very long. now, a large % of the player base have bought the game in the last few months, with everything going heavily on sale during the winter while the devs were wrapping up Season 4 and preparing for the release of the Colin McRae pack. (also, though this doesn't apply to the PS4 achievement stats, the game was free on xbox gamepass last autumn, so that platform had the most users - until this week).

Adaptable is a good example. it was bugged for months, and just wouldn't pop for many people. I did get it, but it took a month for it to pop, during which time I did dozens of stages in each condition. it didn't seem to be really fixed until like 4 months after the game came out. that would explain why so few people have that one.

as for Qualified and Against the Clock, not all that many people do Ai Challenges or Time Trial. AI Challenges especially are weird, because everyone gets the same difficulty level: where it's set is too hard for beginning and too easy for even upper intermediate players. I remember thinking they were impossible when I first started playing, but now I find them too easy (and I'm not even particularly good. I play on KB for god's sake). I started doing Dailies, Weeklies and Monthlies pretty early on, but driving against other people is more interesting than driving against the AI, so I do far fewer Ai Challenges. also, the AI Challenges never have any DLC content, which makes them much less interesting to me now, because I've played the base game stuff to death.

and yeah, most players use some form of assist. I certainly do, but I wanted the achievement, so I turned them off for one of the Historic Championships.

• Like 1