DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... √ó

What do you miss from older Dirt games?

Posted (edited)

So I installed D4 to see how it compares to DR2, and I was really surprised at how much better tarmac felt in that game. Sure, because of weird oversteer effects you are pretty much limited to R2, Kit Car and maybe R5 classes, which are the only ones that seem to handle well, but still. Rallycross was more fun as well, I didn't feel like I was being punished for contact with other cars.

I started thinking about it and there are more things I miss from those older games.

Dirt 4:

- random stage generator with beautiful time of day and weather conditions

- ability to wash and inspect your car

- awesome customizaton options

- Nicky Grist

Dirt Rally:

- PSVR and the option to have the second player as your pilot ūüôā

Colin McRae Rally 2.0

- Rally Kenya

- Seat Cordoba WRC

What are some of the things you miss?

Edited by danielofifi
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, danielofifi said:

Dirt 4:

- random stage generator with beautiful time of day and weather conditions

- ability to wash and inspect your car

- awesome customizaton options

first of all, all of that ^^, especially times of day & weather conditions. the stage generator could be better though and I prefer Phill Mills over Nicky Grist. other D4 things:

• much deeper team management system
  • using your My Team cars in Freeplay
  • loaner cars & teams if you don't have the money to buy the one you need
  • actual career mode with well thought-out progression system which encourages you to try every car class in the game, but doesn't force you to use many of them more than once or twice.
  • tutorial mode that actually uses the Dirtfish Test Area.

I have recently played through Dirt 2 & Dirt 3 (at the same time so the locations stay fresher - Dirt 2 gets really repetitive because there aren't many routes) and I miss: 

• having opponent drivers on stage with you
  • Jen Horsey as co-driver, though Phil is just as good
  • more variety in locations: jungle:Malaysia, savanna:Kenya, desert:Morocco/Mexico/Utah. Dirt Rally 2 is the best game in the series in terms of variety, but it can always be better ūüôā
  • fun multiplayer options. Cat & Mouse was especially good in Dirt 3 online
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

The random stage generator in DiRT 4 was limited, but quite cool. So I miss that a bit.
But if I had to choose between DR 2.0's new surface system and the stage generator, I would choose DR 2.0's system.
DiRT 4 had a better career mode and more weather/time of day-options, I miss that definitely, too.

Except that...mainly some tracks from older DiRT's.
And Pikes Peak.

• Agree 1

In Colin McRae Rally 1 and 2.0 you could choose to play 1-4 people on local multiplayer, just choose a rally or stage and then you competed against each other on the same computer after each other...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I would not argue about physics, as now I am no sure if it have any relation to reality at all, though I will admit that in DR2.0 dry gravel stages really feel much better then in any previous Dirt game.¬†And great thanks for CM for Monte Carlo. This is a really great job!¬†ūüĎć

Smoky Finland and slippery wet roads - not so much.¬†ūüĎé

I played every Dirt since CMR: Dirt 2, so here are the things I am missing:

Dirt 2

• Atmosphere of motor sport holiday. Fireworks at finish for stage winner. Dialogs and competition¬†with famous racers.
  • Menu like a camper trailer. Yes, after a couple of hours in game it may become bothering to wait for slow camera to move from menu to menu, but there is simple solution - shortcut bar, like in Dirt Rally 2015.

Dirt 3

• Rally Kenya, Toyota cars, cool liveries, big expandable training ground at Battersea Power Station.
  • Head 2 Head races
  • More unexpected moments - people escaping from track, ability to overtake slow opponent, who started earlier.
  • Female co-driver

Dirt Rally 2015

• Smokeless Finland
  • Crowd, that does not cripple my GPU
  • Rain drops hitting asphalt in heavy rain
  • Some cool replay camera¬†views
  • Audi sport quatro B2 (not S1)
  • Really cool liveries
  • Pikes Peak hill climb
  • Ability to choose any time/day/weather conditions for time trail
  • Both simplified and advanced car setups
  • Russian Co-driver

Dirt 4

• Good teaching exercises for beginners. This game has the best newcomer teaching course so far. This should be on day 1 of the release to attract more audience.
  • Ability to set up gymkhana courses in DirtFish.
  • Land rush and rally cross.
  • Best team management in Dirt Games (though WRC 8 looks better)
  • Livery¬†creator tool (though in other games it implemented much better)

I am NOT missing stage generator, because in Dirt 4 it was the worst part of the game. But I will really appreciate if it is done right way - big region, with set and random courses in it (like Forza Horizon 3-4, Dakar 18).

Dirt Rally 2.0

• Good FFB after all. Good handling on dry gravel. Amount of available cars and stages. Monte Carlo. Scotland. Subaru S4 and WRX STI 2015, modern Rally GT RWD cars.
  • Unexpected moments with drone and animals, alive spectators - these make the game alive.

In fact, Codemasters do not have to try that much hard. They already have everything to make a great rally game. They just need to gather everything they had in the past into one big cool project, so it will be able to compete even with such monster like Forza Horizon.

Edited by Tigron
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

One thing I hope they won't do again is to try and mix arcade and sim elements in one game. This almost never works well: either make a sim, or and arcade racer.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure on Dirt Rally you could do a daily challenge even if you didn't own the car. I'm sure I remember doing a daily in Monte Carlo with a Fiesta WRC despite not buying it.

Being limited in what challenges you can do on DR2 is frustrating, if you don't buy a load of cars

Edited by WestHam66

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, WestHam66 said:

Being limited in what challenges you can do on DR2 is frustrating, if you don't buy a load of cars

Just buy DR2.0: GOTY edition and you will not be not limited any more. Why limit yourself with choice?

But I agree, if the option was made like in Dirt 4 - loaner cars & teams if you don't have the money to buy the one you need at a price of % from your winning money or drive you own car for full prize.

Edited by Tigron

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tigron said:

Just buy DR2.0: GOTY edition and you will not be not limited any more. Why limit yourself with choice?

What I actually meant was buying cars in career. Unless you buy one car from every class, it's unlikely that there will be many challenges available on a regular basis. Even if I were able to play them, they'd probably go awry due to dodgy server connectivity. At least Dirt Rally career didn't require connection to the sub-par servers to be playable!

Edited by WestHam66
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, WestHam66 said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure on Dirt Rally you could do a daily challenge even if you didn't own the car. I'm sure I remember doing a daily in Monte Carlo with a Fiesta WRC despite not buying it.

didn't play much of DR1, but Dirt 4 had a system where you could essentially sign up to drive for a different team (rather than your own, that you build in career mode) and use almost any car in the game that you didn't own. you would get far fewer rewards, but it was a good way of trying out cars you didn't have yet. 

that said, I only saw this in Freeplay. I didn't do daily challenges so I don't know if it worked like that for those as well.

a couple other things from Dirt 3:

• split screen (not likely, I know)
  • Head 2 Head was quite good
Edited by ianism

Posted (edited)

Dirt Rally

-Better viewing angles in replays.
-
60fps replays also on consoles.
-Exhaust bang sounds.

-Germany without a terrible cloud of dust.

Edited by J89

I miss when rallies were presented as actual rallies rather than locations. 

Posted (edited)

Rallys :
Japan from Colin McRae Dirt
Malaysia and Croatia from Dirt 2
Kenya from Dirt 3

Sponsors goals and an even better team management like in Dirt 4
As for team management, Codemasters can learn from WRC2 and 8

I wish that the career is separated from the championship like Colin McRae Dirt
In his career Codemasters can learn from WRC8

Sponsor contracts as with Dirt 4
Own Liveries like Dirt 4
Dynamic weather like at Dirt 4 where Codemasters can learn from WRC 8

Edited by gleylancer571

One thing I really liked about Dirt 3 was the soundtrack. I still listen to it from time to time. Although I can see the appeal of a more "clean" sound.

I personally miss the service Park cutscene from CMR3 as well as the start ramp cutscene at the begining of the rally. Also, I really miss the Super Special Stages in the older games. With the modern tech, the SSSs could be awesome. Just imagine for a sec, playing DR3 for example, and driving an SSS in the Athens Olympic Stadium like in real life back in 05/06.

Also, as an idea for adding more stages easily, Codies could Just remake Stages from older CMR games and add them to the New game. 

7225d10816_greece-2005-loeb_111_592x333_6961d_x_0x0.jpg

dne0602ju01.jpg

On 4/7/2020 at 3:27 PM, danielofifi said:

Dirt Rally:

Pikes Peak ūüė쬆

(it's not coming back, license is held elsewhere)

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Pikes Peak ūüė쬆

(it's not coming back, license is held elsewhere)

I posted Hill Climb Cars because you wrote they belong to GRID......

I want Hill Climb too but it doesn't have to be Pikes Peak
There are at least 7 different hill climbing courses - it does not necessarily have to be Pikes Peaks

https://www.fia.com/hill-climb

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

Pikes Peak ūüė쬆

(it's not coming back, license is held elsewhere

Can't they just rename Pikes Peak and remove all references? Why games like PC2 and AMS2 recreate 1:1 Suzuka circuit, change the name and don't have any trouble? Seems like Codemasters always has more difficult in licencing area than other developers.

Edited by RGgiac