Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

[Solved] Dirt Rally - Audio Crackle since v0.4

As the title suggests, I have encountered a crackling issue with the audio since update 0.4

System Spec
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77 DS3H rev1.1
CPU: i5 3570 @ 3.8GHz
RAM: 8GB Kingston DDR3 @ 1600mhz
GPU: Sapphire HD 7850 2GB OC + Gigabyte HD 7850 2GB OC

Steps to reproduce

I initially noticed a crackle at the beginning of the rev range in the Audi Quattro using my HyperX Cloud II USB headset. Unplugged it from the USB Dongle and directly into the pc, still there, thought it was an audio issue with the headset, but then I encountered it when I was running off my onboard audio on my speakers, thus having tried it on 2 completely separate audio devices. It is even in the newly released videos from this version, but NOT in the videos of the old version

Here's a new Pikes Peak run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeJ3t9gFVJo

(again, notice the crackle in the low range while revving up, and when revving down during upshifts)

And here's an audi Quattro run pre-patch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO3dGtwnnZ8

I've also noticed similar crackle characteristics in the Impreza and the Austin Metro (albeit in the metro it kicks in about mid way through the rev range)
Be advised, if it is indeed a game issue and not some freak coincidence on my end, it will be much more apparent to headphone users than speaker users.
Hmmm..... and I thought it was my headset giving up the gost :D. Same here in Fiat 131, Lancia Fulvia and Quattro! Maybe some others as well, haven't tried them all since the update. Steps to reproduce? Just drive these cars on my rig ;) .

ASUS Xonar DG, Win7 64 bit, in-game sound volume on 100%, preset on "flat", dynamic range on "high" (although same problem happens when on "speakers" and "low"). Headphones connected to speakers, speakers connected to DG. Doesn't matter, though , 'cause the sound was clean previously on the same config.

The crackling sound always goes through the left channel, somewhere in the middle of RPM range. It's not loud, but it's definitely there. Apart from that, engine sounds generally seem to be a bit more muffled since the update, both inboard and outboard ones.

CM guys, we love the updated reverb effects, but they might be interfering with something here, could You take a closer look at this issue?

Edit - Yes, I can also hear it on the first YT vid above, while it's not there on the second one.
As previously mentioned, the funny thing is, I can even tell in the videos between old/new version. So it's actually something that makes it through encoding as well. Therefore it kinda leads me to believe that it's not just us, there may be people who have yet to notice it.
Edit - Yes, I can also hear it on the first YT vid above, while it's not there on the second one.
Phew, I'm not just hearing things then  :D

I hope other people can chime in as well regarding the issue, would be curious to see if it's a hardware/bitrate issue.
Hi Guys I have the same issue and it was making me crazy. I even went and uninstall game and sound drivers.
Reinstalling dint resolve the issue.

This is worse on gravel stages when i start to get sideways and the wheels spin throwing debris under the car. The sound crackes so hard that i Cannot hear the engine or co-driver. its kills the game for me.  It seems that the sound channels are over saturated and cant cope with the amount of different sounds.

Dear devs please look into this, I cant enjoy the game anymore  :(

Laptop - Lenovo Y50-70, i7 4710hq 8 gb Ram , Win 8.1 64-bit Nvidia 860m
Guys, I'd appreciate it if some of you could post your sample rate. For those who aren't familiar with how to do that:

1.Right click on the speaker icon on the task bar
2.Click on "Playback Devices"
3. Right click on your default output device (With the green check icon)
4. Click on "Properties"
5. Click on the Advanced Tab

And you should see a field named "Default Format" and read off whatever the selected sample rate is. For those who are running higher end onboard audio or dedicated sound cards, I'd appreciate it if you tried a higher sample rate if you aren't already maxed out, and checking back in with your results.

Additionally, if you're running on onboard/dedicated audio, post your motherboard/sound card.

I know for a fact a lot of the sound mixing has changed with this version, maybe the issue lies there, because the samples are the same.
^ Just tested all sample rate options available for my Xonar DG, from 16-bit 44 kHz to 24-bit 96 kHz. Crackling persists.

Before the update, I used 16/44 and the sounds were mostly fine (apart from engine going almost mute in a few specific TV cams mounted on hairpins/acute corners).
^ Just tested all sample rate options available for my Xonar DG, from 16-bit 44 kHz to 24-bit 96 kHz. Crackling persists.

Before the update, I used 16/44 and the sounds were mostly fine (apart from engine going almost mute in a few specific TV cams mounted on hairpins/acute corners).
Gotcha, Thanks for that. I had tried higher/lower sample rate as well, up to 24bit/192000hz, same thing. Has to be a mixing/sample issue. Regarding the engine being muted, I think that's something to do with the terrain occlusion going a little haywire, should mention that as well.
Oh, It was getting silent in previous version only and in just a few replay shots. In the v 0.4 replays, with the updated effects, TV cams are pleasure to hear (love the echo of the engine spreading across the mountain passes), but spending more time inside the car, I'd rather have inboard sounds working correctly :D. 
PeyePete said:
Since the update, engine sounds are breaking up in all cars, on all tracks, and also lost verbal directions from co-pilot, tried adjustments in "Speech", no luck. My headphones work fine in other games.

Default set at 24 / 48000, tried 24 / 96000 and 24 / 192000.

No difference, engine noise is still fading in and out, even with steady pressure on the gas pedal.

Co-pilot still MIA.

Watched a replay of the daily challenge, continuous background sound like static.

PeyePete said:

No difference, engine noise is still fading in and out, even with steady pressure on the gas pedal.

Co-pilot still MIA.

Watched a replay of the daily challenge, continuous background sound like static.

That's just a 0.4 issue, right? Or did it precede this version?
PeyePete said:

Co-pilot still MIA.

Correct, 0.4 when it started.
Hmm.. I can't hear the dropout crackle in game and also can't hear the crackling in the videos given either. I can hear a lot of exhaust crackle on shifts and deceleration (the exhaust crackle is so good), but not the audio dropping out..
Oh, trust me, it's more annoying when heard directly during gameplay with headphones on. On my system its intensity seems to be dependent on a car though. Quattro - eh, it's there but can live with it (kinda), 131 - much more annoying (at least on gravel stages there's ton of gravel noise to cancel it out somewhat :D ).

I don't suffer from audio drop-outs, however. Must be related to hardware some of us use.
Yeah, the dropouts must be a different story. I can, meanwhile, pick up the crackle on speakers fairly easily now too that I know it's there, and yes, it depends on the car. Sounds like it's overloaded on certain frequencies.
PeyePete said:
PeyePete said:

Co-pilot still MIA.

Correct, 0.4 when it started.

The best way to describe the sound in all the cars I drove yesterday is, an open exhaust system and a muffled system and a switch being randomly thrown between the two.
  • 3 weeks later...
Actually, it's still very lightly noticeable in external cams during replay, at least in 131 Abarth I tested yesterday (left channel again, some specific camera angles). I'm not bothered by it all that much though, because in-car sounds seem to be OK now, which makes my happy.
Concur on the interior cams. Regarding the 131 and left channel issue, could very well be a mixing issue at the studio. As was the previous issue I guess. Good ear though, eliminating little things like that sure works wonders for presentation.
  • 1 month later...
As of  today the crackling issues still occurs on my pc.....  On gravel and escpecially on WALES and sliding the car its too high...Cant even hear the copilot or the motor....
In asphalt rarely i have this problems...i have it on laptop speakers, logitech speaker and headphones....

Im on a Asus i7 4710 2. 5 GHZ  -  Geforce GTX850M 4G - 16 GB Ram ..the sound card is onboard and its a REALTEK ..

Can anyone help? Its ruining the game for me

Archived