"optimal" controller calibration/settings?

Hey guys, any experienced controller players can enlight me of any tweaks on calibration / settings i should try to have a better control of the car and be quicker? 

I'm in trouble too with the controller settings... I'm using default settings

It depends on what type of controller you are using. If you are using a console controller/gamepad I have found that the right joystick works better than the "RT/LT" for brake and throttle. You can adjust the calibration of these in settings, and see what works best. 

There is a lot more info out there for steering wheels, but sometimes it is best to just try and see what works for you.

Personally, I run F12019 through Steam on my PC and there are 100'2 of controller configs you can download straight to your game. That's how I found out about the joystick working better than RT/LT. However, I still did change some controller bindings, and adjust the sensitivity a bit. I would imagine that XBOX or PS has similar ways to download pre-config controller settings. 

Hi mates 😃

I use controller in a Xbox One and After spent a week only finding the Best and more realistic feeling i found 2 sets of configs that i will share :please After give some Feedback ok? So let s started 

1 setting(used in the Last 3 months) 

Steering Deadzone 0

Steering Linearity 25

Steering Saturation 8

Throttle Deadzone 0

Throttle Linearity 25

Throttle Saturation 0

Braking Deadzone 0

Braking Linearity 25 

Braking Saturation 0

The 2nd One i use more for Multiplayer 

Steering Deadzone 0

Steering Linearity 10

Steering Saturation 10 

Throttle Deadzone 10

Throttle Linearity 12 

Throttle Saturation 0

Braking Deadzone 0

Braking Linearity 12 

Braking Saturation 0 

I play in Xbox One Plataform 

On 4/16/2020 at 10:08 PM, JRWJones said:

It depends on what type of controller you are using. If you are using a console controller/gamepad I have found that the right joystick works better than the "RT/LT" for brake and throttle. You can adjust the calibration of these in settings, and see what works best. 

There is a lot more info out there for steering wheels, but sometimes it is best to just try and see what works for you.

Personally, I run F12019 through Steam on my PC and there are 100'2 of controller configs you can download straight to your game. That's how I found out about the joystick working better than RT/LT. However, I still did change some controller bindings, and adjust the sensitivity a bit. I would imagine that XBOX or PS has similar ways to download pre-config controller settings. 

Interesting. I thought about using right stick (xbox) for brake and throttle and indeed tried it out. The brake/throttle part worked quite well.....as long as I used the stick precisely in the 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock movement (I can never remember what this 'axis' is called). As soon as I deviated from this axis and put some side on the stick it would imput the look left/look right camera view which put a total kybosh on driving and staying on the track.

On 5/9/2020 at 1:33 AM, CarlosSantos87 said:

Hi mates 😃

I use controller in a Xbox One and After spent a week only finding the Best and more realistic feeling i found 2 sets of configs that i will share :please After give some Feedback ok? So let s started 

Steering Deadzone 0

Steering Linearity 25

Steering Saturation 8

Throttle Deadzone 0

Throttle Linearity 25

Throttle Saturation 0

Braking Deadzone 0

Braking Linearity 25 

Braking Saturation 0

The 2nd One i use more for Multiplayer 

Steering Deadzone 0

Steering Linearity 10

Steering Saturation 10 

Throttle Deadzone 10

Throttle Linearity 12 

Throttle Saturation 0

Braking Deadzone 0

Braking Linearity 12 

Braking Saturation 0 

I play in Xbox One Plataform 

Thanks for posting your steering, throttle and braking setups. I currently don't  play multiplayer but wondering why your solo/multiplayer specs are different?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2020 at 8:19 PM, Scrogs said:

Interesting. I thought about using right stick (xbox) for brake and throttle and indeed tried it out. The brake/throttle part worked quite well.....as long as I used the stick precisely in the 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock movement (I can never remember what this 'axis' is called). As soon as I deviated from this axis and put some side on the stick it would imput the look left/look right camera view which put a total kybosh on driving and staying on the track.

You need to unbind your "left-right on your right stick

Game options>settings>controls vibration force feedback>top option>edit>control scheme>go down to look left and look right and press unbind on both. I'm on ps4 so it's square for me to unbind my buttons. 👍

Edited by smudger1982
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Scrogs said:

Thanks for posting your steering, throttle and braking setups. I currently don't  play multiplayer but wondering why your solo/multiplayer specs are different?

I use some different specs because the Gameplay changes a little beetween both Modes.. And because with the game patches i had to adapt the settings for these values 

• Agree 1

On 6/7/2020 at 4:46 PM, Scrogs said:

Please After testing my settings give some Feedback about.. That way we are helping everyone that could have some issues with the controllers / pads 

2 hours ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

Please After testing my settings give some Feedback about.. That way we are helping everyone that could have some issues with the controllers / pads 

I will use your first set up specs tomorrow and see how how it goes and give some feedback. At the moment my settings are :-

Steering Deadzone 15

Steering Linearity 25

Steering Saturation 0

Throttle Deadzone 5

Throttle Linearity  25

Throttle Saturation 20

Braking Deadzone 0

Braking Linearity  40

Braking Saturation 45

On 5/9/2020 at 1:33 AM, CarlosSantos87 said:

Hi mates 😃

Steering Deadzone 0

Steering Linearity 25

Steering Saturation 8

Throttle Deadzone 0

Throttle Linearity 25

Throttle Saturation 0

Braking Deadzone 0

Braking Linearity 25 

Braking Saturation 0

Hello CarlosSantos87. So then..........I tried these settings for a couple of hours this afternoon and managed to get my best lap time for Silverstone down to 1'44" from 1'49". For every lap I safely complete there are another 5 or 6 that I spin off the track or complete in a slower time. No matter......I'm quite ok with how my driving is slowly progressing. I'm getting more enjoyment with the cars, sounds and watching other people race. I might make slight adjustments to your steering specs (increasing steering deadzone slightly). Throttle settings seem ok for me.......and, because I use all the braking assists available, the braking specs could be any number for me as I presume that auto braking will override most of my braking trigger input. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Scrogs said:

Hello CarlosSantos87. So then..........I tried these settings for a couple of hours this afternoon and managed to get my best lap time for Silverstone down to 1'44" from 1'49". For every lap I safely complete there are another 5 or 6 that I spin off the track or complete in a slower time. No matter......I'm quite ok with how my driving is slowly progressing. I'm getting more enjoyment with the cars, sounds and watching other people race. I might make slight adjustments to your steering specs (increasing steering deadzone slightly). Throttle settings seem ok for me.......and, because I use all the braking assists available, the braking specs could be any number for me as I presume that auto braking will override most of my braking trigger input. Thank you.

The welcome mate 🆙🆙.. I am glad to be helpful and to see my contribution for improving your game immersion and fun aswell.. You can turning off the assists gradually and After some testing testing and more testing sessions you will be much more faster and will be a lot more fun playing it without braking aids.. I usually depending of Car setup i should brake immediatly After 100 meters box before the turn.. Some turns i can brake later others i have to brake a little earlyer.. But that only is achievable with a alot of practice and testing 

On 6/8/2020 at 9:37 PM, Scrogs said:

I will use your first set up specs tomorrow and see how how it goes and give some feedback. At the moment my settings are :-

Steering Deadzone 15

Steering Linearity 25

Steering Saturation 0

Throttle Deadzone 5

Throttle Linearity  25

Throttle Saturation 20

Braking Deadzone 0

Braking Linearity  40

Braking Saturation 45

I think the value of steering deadzone is a little higher and should be more softer.. Like 5 i think its more than enough.. The others you can tune according your feeling and driving style.. Have to keep in mind that these values interfeers in type or kind of camera you are using.. If you use cockpit view excellent but if you are using the T Cam you will have to tune some of these values to match against your driving style and feeling of the car aswell.. 

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me what steering changes will allow for more front wheel turning movement but with less turning movement on the left thumbstick. Like....I would like to take corners with less thumbstick movement.

Do I need to alter Steering Linearity or Saturation slider?

I'm using Xbox One console/controller.

Thank you.

I play on the PS4 and I use a KontrolFreek thumbstick extender in the left analog stick, bear it in mind. Also bear in mind that I am a particular kind of stupid: my main problem when steering is that when I try to go for full steering input, my natural reaction is to bend the stick to 8 (left) or 4 (right) o'clock instead of the correct 9-3, respectively.

With this mechanical aid for added precision and this inherent flaw of my undeveloped mind, the calibrations I found the most useful for my driving style are as follow:

Steering Linearity 6
Steering Saturation 3

I'm usually light enough on the thumbstick that I have yet to feel like tweaking the deadzone. I could happen though, it's only my second week with the game. But from a complete noob I already turned off all assists except for TC on Medium and ABS.

My biggest takeaway though is to spend a couple minutes on the calibration screen and trying different inputs. I already had an inkling that my in-game steering wasn't matching my intentions, and seeing the numbers jumping around there was the confirmation and the reference I needed to tweak it all. The same goes to finding the trigger thresholds for 20/50/80 percent input – I was very surprised to how much I actually needed to press down on the triggers to get to 20% braking/throttling. 

The only other major change on control configurations was remapping the right analog stick. Up/Down to ERS Mode and Left/Right to Fuel Mix settings. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2020 at 10:33 PM, marioho said:

I play on the PS4 and I use a KontrolFreek thumbstick extender in the left analog stick, bear it in mind. Also bear in mind that I am a particular kind of stupid: my main problem when steering is that when I try to go for full steering input, my natural reaction is to bend the stick to 8 (left) or 4 (right) o'clock instead of the correct 9-3, respectively.

With this mechanical aid for added precision and this inherent flaw of my undeveloped mind, the calibrations I found the most useful for my driving style are as follow:

Steering Linearity 6
Steering Saturation 3

I'm usually light enough on the thumbstick that I have yet to feel like tweaking the deadzone. I could happen though, it's only my second week with the game. But from a complete noob I already turned off all assists except for TC on Medium and ABS.

My biggest takeaway though is to spend a couple minutes on the calibration screen and trying different inputs. I already had an inkling that my in-game steering wasn't matching my intentions, and seeing the numbers jumping around there was the confirmation and the reference I needed to tweak it all. The same goes to finding the trigger thresholds for 20/50/80 percent input – I was very surprised to how much I actually needed to press down on the triggers to get to 20% braking/throttling. 

The only other major change on control configurations was remapping the right analog stick. Up/Down to ERS Mode and Left/Right to Fuel Mix settings. 

I enjoyed reading your post. I'm having problems finding steering linearity and saturation settings that I like. In fact a lot of advice I'm getting is to play the game with all callibration set to zero. I'm  playing on the XBox One so set ups may be different to PS4. I don't wish to appear egegrious but what  difference does settings of 6 or 3 do to steering linearity and saturation? 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Scrogs said:

I enjoyed reading your post. I'm having problems finding steering linearity and saturation settings that I like. In fact a lot of advice I'm getting is to play the game with all callibration set to zero. I'm  playing on the XBox One so set ups may be different to PS4. I don't wish to appear egegrious but what  difference does settings of 6 or 3 do to steering linearity and saturation? 

No problem!

After having some trouble in Hockenheim I think, I was convinced that the game wasn't registering the 100% lateral steering input when I wanted it to. I was angling the thumbstick to the sides the best I could, intending to have a complete turn, but the car wasn't complying. 

I opened the calibration screen. There are sliders that display how much of a 0-100% analog input the game is receiving when you press on L2, R2, Left thumbstick and Right thumbstick. It was then I noticed that when I twisted the thumbstick to the left for maximum steering input, I was actually bending it slightly backwards and getting only 96-98%. Like instead of hitting the 9 o'clock mark, I was pointing to 8 o'clock.

By bumping up Steering Saturation just 3 notches, the problem was resolved. Whenever I bent the stick, I got the 100% I wanted.

While there, I checked how much I needed to move the thumbstick to get a low input, like 15-20% - e.g. when you want to smoothly cross the track on a long straight without disturbing your ride. Because of the KontrolFreek extender, I have a greater arch of movement so I wanted the game to register my light steering input faster than it normally does. I did this and that but the solution I came to was bumping up Steering Linearity 6 notches.

It is a subtle difference but it was night and day for me. Specially on hairpins and tight corners.

Hmm.. I may have got them backwards. Just switch them around.

Edited by marioho
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

For smoother inputs if using the 12 o clock method with the thumps sticks I think the best way is 12-11-10-09 o'clock for left turns and 12-1-2-3 for right turns I see it on a youtube video if I can find it I'll post it was in German though if I remember rightly. @Scrogg @Scrogs

Edited by smudger1982
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, smudger1982 said:

For smoother inputs if using the 12 o clock method with the thumps sticks I think the best way is 12-11-10-09 o'clock for left turns and 12-1-2-3 for right turns I see it on a youtube video if I can find if I'll post it was in German though if I remember rightly. @Scrogg @Scrogs

Yes, that technique is really rewarding if you put in the hours to get used to it. If I didn't have a analog extender I'd definitely use it, hands down. 

For those not in the know, your thumb's "idle" position would be moving the thumbstick forwards to 12 o'clock like if you're running with your character on an action game. When cornering, you slowly and smoothly arch your thumbstick through the whole rim until it is pointing totally sideways (3 or 9 o'clock).

• Agree 1

Hello guys

Have somebody a calibration settings for the ps4 controller ?

Hi, what version of the kontrolfreek do you have?
On 6/22/2020 at 12:00 AM, marioho said:

Yes, that technique is really rewarding if you put in the hours to get used to it. If I didn't have a analog extender I'd definitely use it, hands down. 

For those not in the know, your thumb's "idle" position would be moving the thumbstick forwards to 12 o'clock like if you're running with your character on an action game. When cornering, you slowly and smoothly arch your thumbstick through the whole rim until it is pointing totally sideways (3 or 9 o'clock).

@Fabbiucc88 I don't really remember the names. It was one of the special COD editions. Infinite Warfare maybe? It's one of the concave 10mm models and I think that's all that matters. Don't fall to their marketing skit, the only meaningful decisions you're going to take is regarding shape (convex or concave) and height. The rest is just texture blurb.

• Agree 1