Sign in to follow this  

Rain in all stages of a Wales career championship

On the Wales rally of the Clubman championship, I had heavy rain or wet gravel without rain for all six stages. I know it rains a lot in Wales (I'm part Welsh and have spent many days visiting family in the rain!) but for the game to give me six wet stages is a bit ridiculous, especially as the last time I did the Wales rally on Clubman, I had no wet stages!

an algorithm picks the stages, time of day and conditions, and it was picking a lot of rain ones when the game came out. many players complained (there are many threads here about it lol), so they reduced it, probably a little too much in my opinion.

since Scotland came out though, I've noticed that almost all stages in that location in My Team are in the rain, and never, ever at night. so it seems to be bugged. for example, the current R2 Monthly starts in Scotland, and 7/10 stages are rain, with zero at night. 

I've noticed that once or twice in Weekly Challenges since Scotland came out other locations have also not had night stages (both current Bonus Weekly events have this, including the one in Wales, which is funny because Wales is the only location with no dusk for some reason, so it's 10 stages in daytime & sunset).

so this might all be linked somehow.

(I'm operating under the assumption that it works the same way for picking Community/AI challenge and career mode stages).

that's all I've got.

The algorithm that picks the career stages couldn't be picking them and the weather based on my previous progress, could it?

The last time I did the Clubman championship on Wales, I came 6th but this time was 12th. Perhaps the game is trying to make it more difficult by giving me all wet stages?

17 hours ago, WestHam66 said:

On the Wales rally of the Clubman championship, I had heavy rain or wet gravel without rain for all six stages. I know it rains a lot in Wales (I'm part Welsh and have spent many days visiting family in the rain!) but for the game to give me six wet stages is a bit ridiculous, especially as the last time I did the Wales rally on Clubman, I had no wet stages!

Thinking about this some more, it seems to me that real rallies last only 3-4 days with multiple stages per day, at different times all through each day.  Real weather patterns frequently last that long.  So to me, the realistic options are for an entire multi-stage rally to be either all rainy/wet with overcast, or all dry (clear and/or overcast), or change only once between these 2.  It would be silly if consecutive stages alternated several times during the rally, as most of these stages are happening on the same 1 or 2 days.

That said, I've been from Land's End to John O' Groats and back on the opposite diagonal, plus to quite a few surrounding islands, over a number of trips to the UK.  These trips have happened at all times of the year, for weeks at a stretch.  And it's rained on me pretty much continuously everywhere, whenever I've been there, unless it was sleeting instead.  I have come to the conclusion that every calendar with 12 pictures of lovely UK scenery under sunshine must have taken 12 years each to compile.  Further, I regard as total BS any and all theories that Stonehenge and the many other megalithic circles scattered about the place had anything whatsoever to do with solar or lunar observations, because their builders couldn't see more than bottoms of rainclouds except once or twice per generation, far too infrequently to work out a calendar.  Hell, they probably regarded the occasional appearances of the sun and moon as decidedly ill omens 😄

I might be exaggerating slightly, but I live in a semi-tropical jungle where it rains quite a lot, and I thought it rained much more in the UK.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, BayouRally said:

Thinking about this some more, it seems to me that real rallies last only 3-4 days with multiple stages per day, at different times all through each day.  Real weather patterns frequently last that long.  So to me, the realistic options are for an entire multi-stage rally to be either all rainy/wet with overcast, or all dry (clear and/or overcast), or change only once between these 2.  It would be silly if consecutive stages alternated several times during the rally, as most of these stages are happening on the same 1 or 2 days.

Dirt 4's career mode was like this. there were 10 times of day and 13 weather conditions for each location, so it could be misty at dawn, then clear up over two morning stages. then have two-three stages of varying types of rain in the afternoon, then a stage with just a wet road and fog in the evening, before drying up overnight. it. was. amazing.

On 4/9/2020 at 1:40 PM, WestHam66 said:

The algorithm that picks the career stages couldn't be picking them and the weather based on my previous progress, could it?

The last time I did the Clubman championship on Wales, I came 6th but this time was 12th. Perhaps the game is trying to make it more difficult by giving me all wet stages?

nah, I highly doubt it. been playing for a while and never seen as much rain as there's been recently. in the career modes, I've gotten to Elite level in Rally and Masters in RX (though I haven't started either of them). also, it doesn't seem to be affecting the "standard" Dailies/Weeklies/Monthlies, including the AI Challenges. also, the Bonus Dailies seem to be fine.

EDIT: I have been testing this in Career mode. I am on Elite level, so it loads 6 locations and 60 stages every time I abandon the championship.

There has not been a single night stage. With regard to rain... with a few exceptions, I've not had much rain anywhere except Scotland, where there is tons of it. I was unable to get much rain anywhere else. so I was unable to reproduce your problem. it is possible what you experienced has already been remedied. try loading a new career championship (as long as you're not in the middle of one now of course. finish that one first!)

link to my post in the bug thread that details everything I've been checking today: 

Edited by ianism