Lando Norris and Max Verstappen ceremoniously uninstall Codemasters F1 2019

I played Geoff Crammond's GP4 recently, it's incredible how good this game still is nowadays, especially the AI. I don't know why this AI hasn't been replicated and improved in these last 18 years. They make mistakes, they crash, they actually challenge you when overtaking and defending.

Going back to F1, I'm sad it's the way it is, because I've preordered it since F1 2016. When the game works flawlessly I enjoy my time, I can even overlook the ffb and maybe get used to it, and I can have fun. An example is a league race I had a couple of weeks ago at COTA. No practice at all, I jump into the race, start 17th and finished 5th (but 7th actually due to penalties), lot of fun, lot of battles. I really enjoyed it. But it's one in a million, the ffb is weird and changes from mode to mode, or the multiplayer breaks and you have to restart the race, or red flag it, suspend, or the game crashes with no reasons, or there's a random dc even if the internet is ok. All these things are a real turn off.

Which is a shame, because the actual gameplay might not be as realistic as codies wants us to believe, but the game is pretty good at simulating the race weekend, and all the F1 experience, and it has a lot of cool historic cars (even if I don't understand why I can't choose which cars I want in a race. Damn I have 3 2010 cars which I love and I can't race with them and only with them)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheWalker17 said:

I played Geoff Crammond's GP4 recently, it's incredible how good this game still is nowadays, especially the AI. I don't know why this AI hasn't been replicated and improved in these last 18 years. They make mistakes, they crash, they actually challenge you when overtaking and defending.

It is a real shame that in many ways games have stagnated at best and gone backwards at worst. Personally I blame the big corporations, they maximise profit for mediocre products. The game industry was still relatively small then, not like it is today with the shameful loot boxes and microtransactions.

Geoff is a nerd, bless him, I believe he wanted the very best out of his product and, both he and the game deserve the legendary status they have aquired.

I would be very suprised if GP4 is ever surpassed, codemasters have the opportunity, I just doubt the have the means or the desire to deliver in todays market.

5 hours ago, ChasteWand said:

It is a real shame that in many ways games have stagnated at best and gone backwards at worst. Personally I blame the big corporations, they maximise profit for mediocre products. The game industry was still relatively small then, not like it is today with the shameful loot boxes and microtransactions.

Geoff is a nerd, bless him, I believe he wanted the very best out of his product and, both he and the game deserve the legendary status they have aquired.

I would be very suprised if GP4 is ever surpassed, codemasters have the opportunity, I just doubt the have the means or the desire to deliver in todays market.

Tears in my eyes... what a game was de GP series and what a dedicated person was Goeff. No marketing machine was needed. I'm really curious what lee Mather would answer if you ask him personally in private: Do you really think your series are in the same league as GP4?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, aartstyle said:

Tears in my eyes... what a game was de GP series and what a dedicated person was Goeff. No marketing machine was needed. I'm really curious what lee Mather would answer if you ask him personally in private: Do you really think your series are in the same league as GP4?

Geoff games might have been great, but they went bust, they were not making enough money, not enough hardcore sim players out there to justify all that expense. Thats the reason codemasters has went a different path. They know where the main market is and they play to it, can't blame them for that

Edited by TomAAA

The problem is with iracing not everybody has a computer to play it on so f1 on xbox / playstation is the closest anybody gets to a racing sim. That's just their opinion plus if you also way up the cost between iracing and codemasters f1 I feel cm f1 is excellent value for the money. Cm have to cater for everybody not everybody can afford iracing i work i earn fairly good wage but I couldn't afford the monthly subscription and to buy cars and tracks. Plus there are f1 drivers like Charles leclerc who prefers the f1 game over iracing so it's own personal preference.

• Agree 1

Does it matter that a professional driver is uninstalling the game? A professional top driver like Max Verstappen? I really don't see anything strange in it. No simulator for a home computer or console gives the impression of driving a real car. Is this not true? This is obvious. This guy competes on real tracks, a real car, with past and current world champions. It's a completely different world.

Although certainly the opinion of a professional driver of this class about the licensed series of games can hurt people who thought that driving a virtual car also made them professionals.

I am an F1 fan and at the same time I easily realize that the game F1 from CM is only a substitute, very far from the truth. But complicated enough for me to have a good time turning the toy steering wheel and sitting in front of the monitor.

No matter how much Codemasters can still do for this game, how many aspects we complain about being players, this is a pretty good product (well, playing online sucks, too many morons without punishment) - it's just a program, for several dozen dollars, for amateurs and motorsport fans.

And the same can be said about iRacing (I never played), rFactor (I never played), Assetto Corsa (nice driving model, everything else weak), Gran Turismo Sport (I don't like the driving model, like in Project CARS 2; driving soap on glass). And any other title, even those that do not yet exist :).

It's just toys. Cool, but they don't reflect reality. It is not possible.

• Like 1

After having played F1 since the start...I dont remember what year it was I let it last december and now only play GTS probably not perfect (some cars are very pleasant some less ) but the great advantage in addition to perfect image of tracks and cars, is to have races organised 4 times a week (even anyday but there are chaos in these races with a lot of stupid players) then you are sure to play in 2 different championships  against 19 other players with similar level, you can improve...or loose your rank it i very pleasant. I love F1 but I will only buy it when an improved gameplay will be done probably not by Codmaster who is selling the same game since x years, the multiplayer is nowhere ( a nightmare for me to find good races) compared to GTS

57 minutes ago, eMc0B said:

Does it matter that a professional driver is uninstalling the game? A professional top driver like Max Verstappen? I really don't see anything strange in it. No simulator for a home computer or console gives the impression of driving a real car. Is this not true? This is obvious. This guy competes on real tracks, a real car, with past and current world champions. It's a completely different world.

Although certainly the opinion of a professional driver of this class about the licensed series of games can hurt people who thought that driving a virtual car also made them professionals.

I am an F1 fan and at the same time I easily realize that the game F1 from CM is only a substitute, very far from the truth. But complicated enough for me to have a good time turning the toy steering wheel and sitting in front of the monitor.

No matter how much Codemasters can still do for this game, how many aspects we complain about being players, this is a pretty good product (well, playing online sucks, too many morons without punishment) - it's just a program, for several dozen dollars, for amateurs and motorsport fans.

And the same can be said about iRacing (I never played), rFactor (I never played), Assetto Corsa (nice driving model, everything else weak), Gran Turismo Sport (I don't like the driving model, like in Project CARS 2; driving soap on glass). And any other title, even those that do not yet exist :).

It's just toys. Cool, but they don't reflect reality. It is not possible.

From a league racers perspective, we complain about the absolutely basic features a multiplayer-title must have in 2020 and makes races more enjoyable. I personally don't need a manager mode or ability to play split screen. I just want a virtual rear-view mirror, at least some laser scanned tracks (iconic tracks like Spa, Monza) although I believe this something we rather see with the next-gens, much better engine sounds and less bugs and better balancing. We have encountered so many stupid bugs and glitches during the course of the season that even league racing with people who take it serious and don't crash into each other really ruined the fun of the game.

Fortunately with ACC coming to consoles this June, there will be another contender to choose from.

51 minutes ago, eMc0B said:

No simulator for a home computer or console gives the impression of driving a real car. Is this not true?

I would say it's nowhere near as black and white as you present. Many racing teams (not just f1) use simulators to develop their cars and train their drivers. However you certainly get no argument about the f1 games being a toy!

Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2020 at 10:50 AM, UP100 said:

I did understand it, but like always, I correct stuff that could mislead others into believing stuff that's not right 🙂 

In this case, I just mentioned that we've had 22 car replays since F1 2015 (which is the max amount of cars we've had in games from F1 2015 and onwards), so that no one accidentally thinks that what he was talking about applies to singleplayer and then spread that information around without checking it.

You are lying on behalf of Codemasters. 

"Stuff that's not right" ????

My post said:

"But still, replays are limited to just ONE CAR and do not change camera's automatically (if desired)." 

Either you are not a good reader or you are a poor moderator.

Replays in F1 2019 DO NOT automatically switch between cars like a real broadcast event. They show a SINGLE car. The user has to MANUALLY select whichever car he wants to view.

Replays in F1 games from 30 YEARS AGO switched between cars and camera angles automatically (if desired) like a real TV broadcast.

In software from 30 YEARS AGO.

People today don't know that and think what Codemasters has to offer is state of the art.

WHILE IT IS 30 YEARS OUT OF DATE.

Edited by codexas
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, ChasteWand said:

I would say it's nowhere near as black and white as you present. Many racing teams (not just f1) use simulators to develop their cars and train their drivers. However you certainly get no argument about the f1 games being a toy!

That's right. All teams use simulators even before each race. But these are very expensive tools and used by professional drivers and engineers. Certainly not a home computer or console, like what we have at home :).

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, codexas said:

You are lying on behalf of Codemasters. 

"Stuff that's not right" ????

My post said:

"But still, replays are limited to just ONE CAR and do not change camera's automatically (if desired)." 

Either you are not a good reader or you are a poor moderator.

Replays in F1 2019 DO NOT automatically switch between cars like a real broadcast event. They show a SINGLE car. The user has to MANUALLY select whichever car he wants to view.

Replays in F1 games from 30 YEARS AGO switched between cars and camera angles automatically (if desired) like a real TV broadcast.

In software from 30 YEARS AGO.

People today don't know that and think what Codemasters has to offer is state of the art.

WHILE IT IS 30 YEARS OUT OF DATE.

Oh I didn't realise you were talking about such an useless feature 🙃 

E: Just so that no one else gets annoyed by this message I sent before my brains activated: Don't take this seriously, and I was as thick as mince when I somehow missed the whole first paragraph of the thing I quoted 😁

Edited by UP100
  • Disagree 1

18 hours ago, SAL_LippiArsenal said:

Fortunately with ACC coming to consoles this June, there will be another contender to choose from.

It will be disappointing. What annoys me about ACC is that they have confirmed no AI in online races, so the grids will be quite empty online and they have confirmed no UDP telemetry for apps for console users. Most likely will have only a quarter of the game options compared to PC like the last game, Its another ultra basic release for consoles by Kunos

3 hours ago, UP100 said:

Oh I didn't realise you were talking about such an useless feature 🙃 

Condescending and sarcastic mods, oh how refreshing, this is a clear sign of someone not fit for purpose, and is only here to defend codemasters. 

GG

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, pachedupdemon said:

Condescending and sarcastic mods, oh how refreshing, this is a clear sign of someone not fit for purpose, and is only here to defend codemasters. 

GG

I've been active here for 3-4 years at this point, so I got to humour myself somehow 😁

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, eMc0B said:

That's right. All teams use simulators even before each race. But these are very expensive tools and used by professional drivers and engineers. Certainly not a home computer or console, like what we have at home :).

I think you misunderstand my argument. Simulation software does replicate driving physics, and as such a reasonable driving experience can be had. That is my point. If that were not the case race teams and car manufacturers would not use them.

The accuracy depends on the quality of the software and the power of the computer, and that as you rightly say, depends on your budget. What we can have at home today, in terms of hardware software/technology, is (for arguments sake) equal to what the pro's had 3-5 years ago. So regardless of it being a pro rig or a home rig, a reasonable driving experience can be had on a simulator at home.

Consoles are CPU limited, which is why the best simulators can be found on a PC. Games such as rFactor and Project Cars have pro versions on which car manufacturers and race teams run their simulations. No doubt those with the budget have their own bespoke solutions.

Games such as codemasters f1 series, forza and GTS are just that, games! What they simulate only those who can see the code can tell for sure, but are arguably very poor in comparison to what the pro's use. As the title of the thread implies, codemasters f1 series is rather poor, arguably one of the worst, when it comes to a pure driving simulation. However credit where credit is due in terms of a replication of a season in the sport, it is the best available.

Edited by ChasteWand
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, UP100 said:

I've been active here for 3-4 years at this point, so I got to humour myself somehow 😁

I don't buy the f1 games anymore, and during this corona virus madness, this forum provides all the humour I need! 😉😁

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Guys, from my point of view you’re talking about something the VERY MOST part of customers do not care: how many players really tried a real F1 car? I mean in a real competition, not just few laps with recent cars which you can buy for some hundreds $$ or €€. I suppose not many people... 😉

And what’s the percentage of guys like you who are interested in how more or less “realistic”  is the car reaction in the corners comparing CM game with iR or others? Cars CAN TURN, and if I put my tyres over the track edge I loose control in a pretty “realistic” way even with CM F1 2019. This is what the very most part of customers think, I suppose.

F1 fans are really interested in what a real F1 driver feels during the race weekend: environment, real steps of the race (fp, qual, race), with REAL race rules, ALL real F1 tracks, all real sponsor labels, etc. Of course, also a reasonable sensation of “driving feeling”, with tires consumption, DRS effect, and basically a minimum of physics which should be “similar” to the truth and allows to engage credible battles with competitors. Please, let me say that if from the point of car physics is probably weaker than other products, from the “environmental real Formula One“ side the other products are REALLY, REALLY weaker... just because lots of elements are missing.

I am a F1 fan, and I’ve been also a real simulations fan in the past (when I had more time to spend... 😉 ). I realize CM game does not simulate perfectly, but, please... ARCADE is another thing ... Simcade could be a better definition. And as F1 fan, I always needed to find in a game the largest amount of F1 elements available. And after a real F1 race weekend, if I play CM F1 Game I have a great feeling about it, no matter if “the rear suspensions don’t react exactly as in real cars”: because the suspensions DO REACT also in CM game, probably less good reaction, but it’s enough. And probably because no games you can buy for few dozens $$/€€ can REALLY reproduce a REAL F1 car suspension... 

And I think this is the opinion of the most part of F1 customers.

Other kind of problem is the online gaming: I do not use it (no time available for good and serious races: they need scheduled training...), but if it is so weak as you describe, it should be improved as a very critical point: an official eSport game which crashes often in online challenges is of course a very bad product. FIA itself should make pressure directly to devs about this point

Edited by maumarti
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, thisdisplayname said:

He never uninstalled it.... He raced also in RaceForTheWorld contest (last day just yesterday ...) 😉 🙂 

Edited by maumarti

Posted (edited)
On 4/10/2020 at 5:28 AM, codexas said:

It seems they think it’s not a very good product for actual racing drivers.

That's ironic. Hopefully, Codemasters do what is right. Though, they probably won't, as the current business and marketing model is working perfectly fine for them.

There's lots of content missing, to drastically improve the F1 gaming franchise. We all know that.

Maybe, the next gen title on the PS5/XBoxSeriesX will be "THE ONE"...

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight

On 4/16/2020 at 4:17 AM, TomAAA said:

Geoff games might have been great, but they went bust, they were not making enough money, not enough hardcore sim players out there to justify all that expense. Thats the reason codemasters has went a different path. They know where the main market is and they play to it, can't blame them for that

They were doing OK financially, and there were competing games - EA F1 and Ubisoft F1. The reason they shut down - like EA F1 was that F1 did a multi-year exclusive contrast with Sony that started with the 2003 season. Another example of an inept decision from F1 management. 

I agree about Sony exclusive contract and how it has been BAD. But, just to be sure... did you used both EA F1, Sony F1 and Codemasters games? Because I used them, and in graphics, physics, environment IMHO CM is quite better than EA, and REALLY better than Sony. I think there’s a lot of room for enhancements, but there’s also a lot of good content. I think the game reproduces the F1 CONTEST better than others, and even if probably to improve the physics engine it should be re-written, this one should not be completely forgotten during his re-building. This is just to share the opinion from one of the F1 fans who does not criticize the product at all (as already said, nor sure about net code side, that I agree is a crucial point)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, dwin20 said:

They were doing OK financially, and there were competing games - EA F1 and Ubisoft F1. The reason they shut down - like EA F1 was that F1 did a multi-year exclusive contrast with Sony that started with the 2003 season. Another example of an inept decision from F1 management. 

By the time GP4 Geoff was working with a supposedly bigger company, Infogrames(Microprose was either sold or joined) i think.  Unfortunately the GP series was the only hit they had.

And with F1 going the exclusive license route that was it...

Anyway... Lando just took another shot in Codemasters general direction

https://twitter.com/racefansdotnet/status/1251266740757106695?s=20

Edited by LChaves01