Lando Norris and Max Verstappen ceremoniously uninstall Codemasters F1 2019

On 4/11/2020 at 2:09 AM, FOneFanatic said:

They all experienced network issues that caused the disconnect, most likely poor internet connection, which seems to be prevalent in most countries outside of the US, especially in Europe. 

Not really, given the internet connection is on average better in the UK and than in the US.

On 4/23/2020 at 2:58 PM, LEWISt17KIMI said:

While F1 2019 may simulate the rules, the physical parts of the game are totally arcade. 

Wow.. totally arcade? I don’t know exactly what you mean with “arcade”, but I think with all driving aids on is probably very arcade. With NO driving aids, is maybe far from real cars but TOTALLY ARCADE i don’t think (IMHO, of course 😉 )

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 2

On 4/23/2020 at 3:41 AM, chen255 said:

I saw that video, and also read that Scott Dixon didn’t think the IndyCar felt real at all.

I doubt that any sim/game is very realistic, they all just vary in their lack of realism in different ways. I think they are more a virtual nod to their real life counterpart, they do some things quite well but not others.

I don’t really mind, I have a great time on them anyway. I get a buzz piloting a virtual F1 car about some of the worlds most iconic tracks and corners and I have literally whooped with delight in some of them. Any game that can bring out the smiles and those types of emotions while I’m sitting on the couch playing is a winner. For me it’s about the fun and the challenge. Thank-you to Codemasters F1 games for those moments I have experienced.

I always loved the triple left hander at the Turkish Grand Prix that was in previous iterations of the CM F1 series always looked forward to that one. Such a shame that track was dropped from the calendar but there are so many others to be enjoyed.

I hope the producers of racing games keep striving for more realism though, and that we always have improvements in the physics and handling as the years go by.

That’s exactly what I think, especially what I highlighted in bold 😉 

On 4/22/2020 at 9:46 AM, AcidBurn247 said:

I wonder if the Official Reply from Codemasters regarding the Norris/Verstappen Debacle is ever going to materialise, as per @BarryBL

Or will they just wait for the storm to blow over....

Still waiting @BarryBL ....

• Agree 1

On 4/27/2020 at 9:06 AM, AcidBurn247 said:

Still waiting @BarryBL ....

I personally feel that there is actually now very little to respond on topic here. Lando re-installed. In terms of 'answering the title', its been answered imo.

However, to give a little insight into the MP experience for things like the VirtualGP, we run extensive test sessions in the build-up to the arranged race dates and times, stress testing our settings and players connectivity. From the feedback I have received, these have been a success when tested, and other external issues have occurred causing players to run into crashes and problems too. With the 2020 BETA now also being announced, a part of that will be working with the MP experience to improve it for all players of the game.

I think the handling discussion is something that is not overly related to this post. However, with 2020, we have of course looked at our handling model and to improve it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, BarryBL said:

However, with 2020, we have of course looked at our handling model and to improve it.

If any handling improvements make it into F1 2020, will there be some kind of proper article explaining the changes or will players have to find those out themselves?

7 minutes ago, RaceMyZaru said:

If any handling improvements make it into F1 2020, will there be some kind of proper article explaining the changes or will players have to find those out themselves?

I dont think you'll need an article or do much finding out. Handling is such an integral part of a racing game almost the moment you first take control of the car you can feel it. One or two laps later you are either grinning or frowning. 😊😒

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

you have david greco (italian like me) who deals with handling, and i'm sure he would like the maximum of the simulation having driven different types of cars (like predators). To have a truthful judgment, however, it would be necessary to have the opinion of the drivers who are driving the current cars, because only they know how to drive the current cars. It is hoped that Codemasters will host the drivers or have them try out the beta to try to improve physics @BarryBL

Edited by mikyesposto95
  • Agree 1

If David Greco were so good, the handling would have been at the highest level!
(well, an Italian:classic_biggrin:.....)

19 hours ago, BarryBL said:

I think the handling discussion is something that is not overly related to this post. However, with 2020, we have of course looked at our handling model and to improve it.

Maybe not related to this thread/post but the handling, setup model, tyre model, ffb, game physics, sim vs arcade is quite a hot topic on the forum.

"Improving" is a subjective and imprecise answer. Perhaps you could elucidate. Even better, to shut the arguments down, you could detail exactly what the game does and does not simulate.

Many folk on the forum would appreciate some official communication on this matter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

On 4/28/2020 at 2:01 PM, BarryBL said:

I personally feel that there is actually now very little to respond on topic here. Lando re-installed. In terms of 'answering the title', its been answered imo.

However, to give a little insight into the MP experience for things like the VirtualGP, we run extensive test sessions in the build-up to the arranged race dates and times, stress testing our settings and players connectivity. From the feedback I have received, these have been a success when tested, and other external issues have occurred causing players to run into crashes and problems too. With the 2020 BETA now also being announced, a part of that will be working with the MP experience to improve it for all players of the game.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:36 AM, ChasteWand said:

Maybe not related to this thread/post but the handling, setup model, tyre model, ffb, game physics, sim vs arcade is quite a hot topic on the forum.

"Improving" is a subjective and imprecise answer. Perhaps you could elucidate. Even better, to shut the arguments down, you could detail exactly what the game does and does not simulate.

Many folk on the forum would appreciate some official communication on this matter.

Any comment BarryBL? Many people would be interested...

Of course theres a discussion here, theres other videos of other driver and clips showing up on the lack or realism with the title! Its a fundamental part of the game and is lacking!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The game was never designed to be a Hardcore sim or serious online racer. Esports series are really there just to publicize the game not the IRL series. Much as I'd love a totally new realistic experience that would take 2 maybe 3 years of new development. Just not possible within a yearly cycle. Plus even if a new experience was released unless it could be optionally configured in the menu to handle very similar to previous games then a whole mass of the casual main market for the game would be up in arms saying its too hard. Just look at project cars 1 with a controller. If you could complete a single lap without crashing you'd be in the minority. If a game designed for a mass market of gamers, many of whom have never even driven a car in real life, is not immediately accessible then it won't be played either.

We NEED that mass market of casual gamers to put up the money to finance a game of this importance. It's only natural, albeit depressing, that those people should have the game tailored to their needs not ours.

The best we can hope for as realism seekers is getting relatively minor portions of the game nailed down so we can play amongst ourselves and still enjoy the experience. Such as a realistic and functional cockpit view with all info easily accessible and immersive, an online clean experience that allows like minded racers to race with each other instead of making us all swim in shark infested waters, a fully working and realistic safety car, more variation and accuracy regarding setups. Let us tweak the car however we want even if it becomes undrivable. We can always reset! No reason not to allow us to tweak the car so the handling is to our liking, whether or not it's rule conforming. Just allow separate lobbies for setup users. These changes would definitely bring more real life drivers to the table along with their engineers.

Codies don't need to write a whole new game, just allow far greater customization and car tweaking. Easy to drive, hard to master would be a good goal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Posted (edited)

eSports ready. Game is perfect and flawless, this has never happened before, lies that happens since F1 2017 at least

Tktp3XQ.png

wirjk4Z.png

UOtg4Zs.png

tuav830.png

Edited by TheWalker17

Posted (edited)

This is ridiculous. For starters, the idea this is a simple "arcade" game is crazy. And unless you have a serious rig (OK, I'm sure there are a number on this forum that do, but most players of this game don't) then it's not even applicable. But even if you do have a nice rig, obviously it's still not going to be anywhere close to driving a real car. There's no real physical forces involved, there's no g force going around curves, your rig isn't bouncing over the curbs. The best you can expect is better "feedback" through the steering wheel. Big deal. Lando thinks iRacing is a little bit like a real car. Not the greatest endorsement really but OK. Either way that doesn't make FI 2019 garbage. The game isn't easy at all. There are plenty of things I could criticize about the game but it still takes a lot of practice and a lot of learning to get good at it. F1 2019 still requires you to understand and consistently do well in all the fundamentals of racing, cornering, powering the car, braking. Maybe it feels 10% less like a real car than iRacing does? OK. Whatever. I also found it odd that Lando often didn't finish in the top three. Maybe he's just annoyed? I don't know. Leclerc seemed to adapt really well. I was looking forward to seeing Leclerc and Norris race in this series disappointed it didn't happen. --- Edit: I see that Lando joined the virtual GP today although I didn't see him much, it was all about Leclerc and Albon and George Russel who snuck into P2.

Edited by Pitchpole
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Pitchpole said:

. Maybe it feels 10% less like a real car than iRacing does?

Actually make that more like 50% and you might be closer. But like you say it's not all bad. After all 50% of something excellent is still pretty good. If you are watching the abundant current online pro/eraces on different platforms its blatantly obvious which platforms stand out. Iracing and rfactor 2 quite definitely match the real thing enough to suspend disbelief an feel immersed. The F1 game just looks like a lot of arcade cars buzzing around the track. The F1 game was NOT designed for serious pro competition though, iracing was. I just watched the F1 esport interlagos race with quite a few F1 drivers taking part. At no point did it look realistic but obviously much FUN was being had. Lando kept asking what were the leaders lap times because inexcusably you can only see the guy in front and behind in the timings. Crucially LeClerc in the 1st 3 was wondering put loud who had what penalties, which was vital info, because there was no quick and easy way to find out. The out of their depth YouTube guys were out in their place and lapped by half way (remember all these cars have the same performance). Everyone was running auto ers because......manual is just silly..... Jeff was on LeClercs case the whole last 5 laps telling him to box box box even though he was fighting for first place with Alex Albon the whole time and they were passing each other each final straight.

However, like I have already hinted at, nobody cared. This was not a serious race. The driving was clean except for an appalling start where carnage was your typical online lobby but then it cleaned up and there were many interesting battles. Well worth the hour it took of my time. I watched on twitch switching streams between LeClerc, Van Doorne, Lando and Jimmy B. At least the latter displayed respect for the company he was in and accurately predicted he would be moving backwards during the race. LC had 20000 viewers, Stoffel had 450. Was almost like sitting with him as the chat was actually readable.

Apart from the lack of information I have already mentioned (which would be unforgivable in a serious race) nobody was whining about the F1 game and as soon as it was over Charles, Alex and George Russell (all in top 4 last half race) started chatting and saying how much fun it was. There is quite definitely a place for a simplistic race game where all the tech stuff can be ignored and you just race, with no chance of an engine blowing up mid race. It's only a shame that our F1 sport with its high tech background and intricate cars happens to be that game, but meh it is what is, at least we have other games if we want to get more realism.

Right at the end before I left the boys were still talking and someone said next race Barcelona. Let's go over to Assetto Corsa then. Then they were arguing that even though the experience would be better there were so many F1 drivers coming into the F1 game itself now that if they practiced something else they'd be at a disadvantage. Interesting point there!

Oh and before I forget every driver used the horrible tcam view, arcade for sure. It didn't matter this time though as it wasn't a serious race plus of course it wouldn't have been fun for the YouTube guys (except maybe JB!)

Finally the only major shortfall for me in the game as it's dead basic spectator modes and lack of stats. I couldn't watch the official broadcast for more than a couple minutes because the race looked external views looked and sounded total arcade and those announcers and their ridiculous over enthusiasm... Ugh!

"With the line up as quality as this we are in for an absolutely fantastic race!!!"

"Yes it's certainly guaranteed to be awesome from start to finish what a race we have for you!!!"

Bye.. Bye..

👋👋😏😜

Edited by sloppysmusic
Tcam 😡
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

Bye.. Bye..

LOL yeah ok, so why are you even here? Just to taunt people?

I've looked at iRacing and some of the screengrabs looked real nice, although from this video codemasters looks better to me. The background in iRacing isn't quite as nice to me and the car in iRacing sometimes it still looks detached from the background and like it's just sliding over the track, which was one of my complaints with F1 so I don't feel so bad about that anymore. But that said, I'm still interested in giving iRacing a try at some point but my expectations aren't really that high. 

Edited by Pitchpole

1 hour ago, Pitchpole said:

LOL yeah ok, so why are you even here? Just to taunt people?

I've looked at iRacing and some of the screengrabs looked real nice, although from this video codemasters looks better to me. The background in iRacing isn't quite as nice to me and the car in iRacing sometimes it still looks detached from the background and like it's just sliding over the track, which was one of my complaints with F1 so I don't feel so bad about that anymore. But that said, I'm still interested in giving iRacing a try at some point but my expectations aren't really that high. 

lol you summed it up perfectly. The F1 game does look much better than iracing. Well the cars do I mean, if you can forgive the tracks and actual racing. Going from F1 game to iracing will be a shock at least until you start driving, you'll be too busy with all the important stats on screen you'll be needing about your car and the session to even notice the backgrounds. Oh and too busy keeping the car on track too.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Nitpicking time: the one in iRacing IS NOT a Brawn GP. It's the 2009 Williams FW31 with a Brawn GP livery.

I think the difference is obvious, but someone might think that the car in iRacing is the actual Brawn with a canned model and a bad sound

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@sloppysmusic i take it your a iracing subsctiber or was.

I am longing for a work your way up league style of racing now as mucj as I have enjoyed career modes on f1 over the years I have a wheel now and i know theres such better driving experiences to be had.

Is iracing a start from the bottom try and work your way up platform also the new Assetto Corsa WSS platform looks interesting.

Edited by AdamFreeman

F1 2019 has its advantages and disadvantages. The career is pretty cool now it would be useful to invest in multiplayer. I hope there will be better multiplayer in F1 2020.

47 minutes ago, AdamFreeman said:

@sloppysmusic i take it your a iracing subsctiber or was.

I am longing for a work your way up league style of racing now as mucj as I have enjoyed career modes on f1 over the years I have a wheel now and i know theres such better driving experiences to be had.

Is iracing a start from the bottom try and work your way up platform also the new Assetto Corsa WSS platform looks interesting.

Hey no I'm not although I did create an account once I'm just not a fan of sub models is all. I DO spend a lot of time watching iracing on Twitch, there are lots of decent racers on there as well as beginners you can follow the progress of. Yes it's definitely a start from the bottom series. You need to UNDERSTAND all the rules and points/penalty system as well. Although you can buy any car and track and practice on your won as much as you want there is no ai in the game so if you want to race others it has to be real people and everyone starts at the bottom. Then you work your way up depending on personal preference. If you're into open wheel the SKIPPY class is your first major hurdle. Suggest watching youtube videos or twitch streams of that class and see i you like it.

It's serious racing for sure but if you like that's what you like you'll have fun too.

If you just want fun or a casual laugh its not the place to be!

On 5/3/2020 at 2:38 PM, Pitchpole said:

Whatever. I also found it odd that Lando often didn't finish in the top three.

I think he missed setting a time in qualifying for some reason and so started 20th...

3 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

Hey no I'm not although I did create an account once I'm just not a fan of sub models is all. I DO spend a lot of time watching iracing on Twitch, there are lots of decent racers on there as well as beginners you can follow the progress of. Yes it's definitely a start from the bottom series. You need to UNDERSTAND all the rules and points/penalty system as well. Although you can buy any car and track and practice on your won as much as you want there is no ai in the game so if you want to race others it has to be real people and everyone starts at the bottom. Then you work your way up depending on personal preference. If you're into open wheel the SKIPPY class is your first major hurdle. Suggest watching youtube videos or twitch streams of that class and see i you like it.

It's serious racing for sure but if you like that's what you like you'll have fun too.

If you just want fun or a casual laugh its not the place to be!

I definetly want to get into some more serious sims just bee going around the nurburing in the 2019 RSs v6 (f3 car mod) on AC and F1 games have taught me a dirty habit on down shifts whereas doing the same thing on AC on some cars brings up the engine protection and I cant just launch cars into corner as per F1 so I was looking at joining the AOR AC f3 league but the top time trial there is 1.44 something and my best is some 6 seconds off. 

Having the track display has also made me think I have not really learned tracks fully as I am partially using the track map to help. Little things really I do like tbe F1 career it what I would miss if I didnt play but my game time is limited so cant keep this swapping betweem games business 😕

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1