Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Lando Norris and Max Verstappen ceremoniously uninstall Codemasters F1 2019

It seems they think it’s not a very good product for actual racing drivers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Will you wrote for everyone who delete game
i like game
even with problems i have
only big issue i have i that fps freeze online

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I can understand his frustration and for the whole player base of this game it's actually not bad. Lando has a huge reach in media and can therefore put a lot of pressure on CM to improve the experience in future titles. Liberty Media is certainly not pleased to see one of the most popular drivers throwing the official game into the bin and that is rather a problem for CM than Lando because it's not his fault.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Don't forget Esteban Gutierrez got kicked out as well. He brings a lot of Mexican and American followers. Ruining their reputation in North America as well.

10 minutes ago, AoiAsahina said:

Don't forget Esteban Gutierrez got kicked out as well. He brings a lot of Mexican and American followers. Ruining their reputation in North America as well.

I think that makes Gutierrez the first driver to get kicked out of F1 AND virtual F1!

They all experienced network issues that caused the disconnect, most likely poor internet connection, which seems to be prevalent in most countries outside of the US, especially in Europe. 

• Disagree 1

The Games NETCODE needs s serious look at , its kicking people for no reason , preventing other from Joining etc etc.

• Agree 1

I'm still wondering when and why did Verstappen even install F1 2019 🤔

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, UP100 said:

It's a question we all ask ourselves.

• Agree 1

It's time the F1 license goes to another company!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Hey @DANDREWTHOMSON!

I'm not sure what that attachment you send was, but I hid the comment due to it being generally suspicious (and the forums glitched out meaning that I couldn't just edit your comment)

Links to places are fine, so are videos and images, but pasting an attachment with no filetype and making it sound like it would be an actual article from a respectable source is a bit suspicious.

I'll restore the comment if you can explain to me what that file was 🙂 

Posted (edited)

The website was racefans  not sure about file type, never saw the comment.  DELETE IF YOU LIKE. 

On my phone it won't show me file type and I can't open it

Edited by DANDREWTHOMSON

5 hours ago, UP100 said:

He apparently plays R-Factor 2. When two F1 drivers, that are known for doing sim racing, think that F1 2019 is not as good as other games in replicating the F1 driving experience - I would think F1 and Codemasters should consider what exactly this games does. If this is the official F1 game - it should be the best in reflecting the F1 driving experience - not poorly as two F1 drivers just very publicly said. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, dwin20 said:

He apparently plays R-Factor 2. When two F1 drivers, that are known for doing sim racing, think that F1 2019 is not as good as other games in replicating the F1 driving experience - I would think F1 and Codemasters should consider what exactly this games does. If this is the official F1 game - it should be the best in reflecting the F1 driving experience - not poorly as two F1 drivers just very publicly said. 

I'm not asking what he plays as I know he drives rF2 and iRacing. I'm asking when did he install and uninstall the game as he just said some weeks ago that he wouldn't touch the game.

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, DANDREWTHOMSON said:

The website was racefans  not sure about file type, never saw the comment.  DELETE IF YOU LIKE. 

On my phone it won't show me file type and I can't open it

Please try and send a link instead of an attachment 🙂 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, IvanoZ023 said:

This is a tough article - a quote from it:

'He [Norris] did so after broadcasting a conversation with Max Verstappen, who criticised the official F1 game series, and has not joined the Virtual Grands Prix.

The game’s handling is “why Max doesn’t play”, said Norris, “because it’s nothing like an actual car. Whereas iRacing is a little bit like an actual car.” '

I think it is about damn time a "high profile" in the F1 and F1 gaming community speaks up about some flaws of Codemasters' F1 game(s). Hopefully they get some pressure from that & Liberty Media to improve the game on all fronts.

Don't get me wrong. I think the game is good. It has everything essential to be an official Formula 1 (or motorsport in general) game... but that is really it. If you have played their games for enough years and each of them for enough hours, you will realize that a lot of detail is missing, not only in the racing part itself but also the settings, etc. that make the game more user friendly, stable and above all enjoyable for all kinds of players.

Some examples would be:

• Information on what each graphic setting does and how it affects which hardware (maybe with some comparison screenshots). You have so much space available to the right of the settings. Use it.
  • Information on what each audio category in "Audio Volume Levels" includes in the game (Speech: Commentator, Engineer, Interviewer, etc. as an example)
  • Speed trap values displayed in race director.
  • "Voice Chat Disabled" option in "Advanced Audio Settings" to disable the transmission of all microphone audio by other players in a lobby without having to "Mute All" manually every time. This fixes/is a workaround for a major issue in the game where the player's audio volume of all sources outside of "F12019.exe" is reduced permanently by about 50% when joining a lobby and another player transmits audio through his microphone. Selecting the "Do nothing" option in the "Communications" tab of Windows' "Sound" settings does not solve this.
  • And lastly - of course - the general stability of the game as a whole. I have a pretty decent pc and rarely tab out of the game but still, it crashes every now and then. According to Lando Norris(don't remember exactly when he said it), he installed the game on 3 different PC's with the same results. Crashing almost every time he tabs out. This needs to be investigated and improved for the next titles.

Major additions like interviews and F2 make a game good, however, it is the details that make a game great.

- - - - - - - - - 

Regarding "arcade" handling:

Codemasters' F1 games are, have never been and will never be decent sims like iRacing. Due to it being an official motorsport game it cannot be restricted to advanced drivers/SimRacers like in iRacing. Being an official game does not have to mean that you must be playable by all kinds of players, but in order to maximize the potential of the player count you are pretty much forced to. I think the handling of F1 2019 is ok. For an "arcade" game it is good. It definitely still has a long way to go in all departments. Examples would be the feel for the weight of the car (understeering in slow speed corners), how the wheel responds to tyres giving in and traction being way too low for such huge tyres + weight of the car.

What they absolutely have to change in the handling though is:

• How the downshifts affect turn in. It is so ridiculous when I can simply go one gear down in order to make a corner even though theoretically I was already on my way off track for carrying too much speed into the corner. It would also be cool if we could not go to Neutral unless we are standing still with brakes applied.
  • DRS effect being ridiculously strong and dirty air not existing at all. This makes serious races a cat&mouse game from the start to the very end. Chasing drivers have to be in DRS range to be able to catch up and to save ERS because DRS is so powerful that you can easily drive in None behind someone. That makes defending a position impossible because while you are using all your ERS to stay in position the driver behind you can simply go in None with DRS enabled and wear you out until the final 3 laps where he the overtakes you when you have barely any ERS left.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, dwin20 said:

Its because Codemasters have chosen to cater for  the 12 year olds.

Once they start taking the Hardcore racers more seriously , then the real F1 drivers will also take the game more serious.

• Agree 2

Codemasters do a good job. They improve every year. It's a game not a sim and it's fine like that. They do this game for casual players like me mainly with a controller not for professional drivers like Norris and Verstappen who grew up with simulators. You just can't compare both. 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 3

2 hours ago, math444 said:

Codemasters do a good job. They improve every year. It's a game not a sim and it's fine like that. They do this game for casual players like me mainly with a controller not for professional drivers like Norris and Verstappen who grew up with simulators. You just can't compare both. 

Yes but it's not called "The Formula 1 Arcade Game!" it's called F1 2019 and is meant to tie in to the actual IRL series but the only thing it replicates is the names and liveries. The driving is so unrealistic its like driving a box with varying levels of grip that's it. Nothing subtle at all. Someone earlier mentioned down shift turning. That's called engine braking. It's on full the whole time when it needs to be adjusted for every track and probably turned off in the wet unless you like spinning all the time. You only have to spend a few minutes in project cars or rfactor to appreciate what you're missing. Iracing isn't that realistic actually but because they implemented tuning in a big way and have excellent racing rules it appeals to serious clean racers.

Nothing wrong in making the official game playable on kid tablets but let someone else freely use F1 assets to produce a sim more like the real thing. The reason it's marketed for super casuals who prefer style over substance is not because that's the biggest market, it's cos it's the easiest as those people don't usually play a game to death and nit pick every inaccuracy. They just boot up have a blast then move on. It's when it gets hyped up to esports level that the dream is shattered. It's not even close to being a well regulated race game.

If the game was modeled precisely on real driving the same way flying sims are, that's a huge market. Flying simmers pay stupid amounts of money for the right blades of grass next to their local airfield and the correct rivets on their planes. Realism is addictive beyond all understanding as it's IMMERSION. Escapism to the max. A realistic game could easily have a little brother add on making it accessible to casual people, a lite version of you like. There would be race schools everywhere with the game installed on the best hardware which people would pay to use. Admittedly the full version might be kc only and the lite for consoles but then you'd have TWO markets to exploit.

Think about the raw excitement you'd feel sitting behind the wheel of a realistic virtual F1 car with no assists in the pits. You could tack on a financial back game so that costly damage would be a factor too. On or off on startup.

I digressed somewhat but it's probably the richest sport worldwide and maybe the most popular across cultures and continents why CAN'T we have a sim as well as a game?

Get those SMS guys working on the cars and tracks now for next year. A fully fledged F1 sim would be THE racing software every racer would have in their collection and you'd have endless official races and feeders as well as real life drivers training up beside you. It would be a BIG deal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)

I've never really understood why'd would someone want an F1 sim. The current sims already have F1 imitators or officially licensed cars. Why would you need the full 20 car lineup? Most leagues around want to use custom liveries anyways, so one car is enough (which is possible, isn't it? iRacing has the 2015 McLaren Honda, GT Sport has some Mercedes F1 car, rF2 has loads of older cars + 2012 Marussia etc.)

At least I'm unable to find any kind of benefit of having the officially licensed cars and drivers in rF2 for example. Something can be realistic even if it doesn't have the 20xx season license behind it. rF2 has licensed the 2012 Marussia but I'd say it's quite poor quality compared to the unlicensed old F1/F2/F3 cars, or the old licensed McLaren F1 cars: 

Then there are leagues that produce their own Formula cars, such as FSR which has been around since the year 2000, 9 years longer than the first Codemasters published F1 game. FSR has had drivers such as Bono Huis, Stoffel Vandoorne and most importantly of all, F1 Game Handling team lead Greco 😛 

Edited by UP100
)
  • Disagree 2

I think the main problem here is that the official licensed cars are limited to F1 2019 game only. Cars in other racing games are either older versions now (the McLaren one in iRacing or SF70H in Assetto Corsa) or they are just mods imitating the cars (countless mods for AC, also F1 mods for rF2 by ACFL (which are mighty fun, tbf)). F1/FOM, and Codemasters overall, would benefit from some competition, as in - give some company a license to make the official cars (and tracks, maybe) in their game. One of the examples - the same rFactor 2: they have all official Formula E cars in the game (even if it's additional paid content), also they have official Monaco Formula E track.

tl;dr of what I'm trying to say - have, basically, 2 games: one more arcade-y (like current Codemasters games) and one more simrace-y (for example, licensed cars for rFactor 2 (my bias shows here, I think)) - that would please both hardcore simracers (though some of them are TOO hardcore IMO), and your usual casual players.

• Agree 3