The Solberg World Cup

Yeah, it happens 😞 

Never really got into a rhythm in the first place and didn't have time to gather my senses.

I was pushing too hard on the punctures though, and now you all see what happens.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

My run in the final stage  SS12 of New England, safe run as I had 1.8s to spare from my PB to move into 6th spot!  Windshield damage is the standard clubs bug, I had no real damage after SS11

Edited by bn880

3cbe197a-c5ea-4e64-8e29-9be6f5826015.jpg

Solberg World Cup continues to grow as the battle hots up
  • Solberg World Cup moves into its penultimate round
  • Swede Jonsson’s second series win strengthens his lead at the top of the table
  • Oliver and Petter still at the sharp end of a 16,000-strong field
  • SWC round five Castrol Rally Jämsä is up and running

New England is famous for its stunning fall colours and America’s north-east didn’t disappoint last week, with the action in the fourth round of the Solberg World Cup in association with DirtFish matching the beautiful backdrop.

The virtual world offers a variety of benefits and being able to fast-forward the process of trees’ leaves no longer producing chlorophyll and turning from green to red, amber and gold is definitely one of them. But enough of the vegetations. What about the action?

Oliver Solberg fell in love with New England rallying when he drove there last year and carried his stunning real-time speed into the DiRT Rally 2.0-based competition last week.   

The 18-year-old led the event early on in his Volkswagen Polo R5, but slipped just outside the top 10, finishing 11th by the time OMP Racing New England Rally closed on Sunday night.

“Those are some of my favourite roads,” said the Monster Energy-backed teenager. “They flow so nicely and you can really have a lot of fun in them. It was nice to be leading for a while, but I knew some of the other guys would come past – they are so fast! 

“I’ve got to be honest, I was a little bit disappointed not to make the top 10 on this one. In the practice things went really well and I actually own some of the records for some of these stages, but I had some small issues in the rally. Now I have to focus more to Finland and Castrol Rally Jämsä. If we thought OMP Racing New England Rally was fast then the next round’s going to get even quicker.

“I want to say congratulations to Robin Jonsson on his second win of the Solberg World Cup. His speed was super-impressive in America. But as well as that, I want to thank everybody who has joined us on this amazing championship – to have so many amazing gamers and enthusiasts with us is really cool.

“For the title, it’s so exciting to see who’s doing what, the competition is so close at the top of the championship. It’s fantastic! And now just two rounds left.”

Petter was running well in OMP Racing New England Rally when he was forced into retirement after colliding with a rock and damaging his Monster Energy-backed Volkswagen Polo R5 beyond repair.

The 2003 World Rally Champion is determined to be back flying high at Castrol Rally Jämsä – with the Kakaristo stage especially interesting for Petter.

“I like that road,” he smiled. “I remember that one quite well…”

Petter famously set the record for the Ouninpohja stage in Finland at the 2004 event. If you want to see what it looks like in real-time, take a look here.

Castrol Rally Jämsä will test a field of 16,000 competitors to the limit of their abilities on some of the fastest stages in the DiRT Rally 2.0 game. With the weather typically changeable, the Finnish roads are going to be just as much of a challenge as ever. 

The penultimate Solberg World Cup in association with DirtFish runs until Sunday May 31. 

b14b2fca-5215-4f8e-9947-85d529a1fd92.jpg

abc9c97d-4640-4117-ba91-2317082f7e06.png

Posted (edited)

Yea, I ended up 16th after 2 issues but still P8 in championship which could end in P9 to P7 easily in Wales

My run of SS12 which was very good with P9 stage time: 

You can see a bad line at the end of the big fast downhill left (after fast section, near 50s) where it tightens, had to use extra road and hit some posts to open it instead.  Should have had a wider entry there to open up the 3/4 left tightens.  Otherwise it was quite good with just a wiggle on a landing 🙂

Love this competition, but together with also having other responsibilities, the 1 week events really beat me up physically  😄

Edited by bn880

Only 300 points or so between the top drivers, so one puncture or DNF could blow that wide open.

• Agree 1

@PJTierney What the f happened on your run?
I got 5 (FIVE) punctures along the way (2 of them on the same stage), never had a spare.
The first 2 longs I basically did completely (crashed shortly after the first sector in SS1) on a puncture.
Had several more crashes, spins, runs on a puncture, time penalties and nearly broken car most of the time.

Can't believe I still placed in front of you 🤣

That was probably my worst event in a long time (without retiring) with more than 12 minutes behind the leader.
But I missed Monaco, retired in Sweden and just did an okish Greece run, so the whole championship was a mess.
USA was quite good in the top 100, but everything else...meh 😄 

15 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

@PJTierney What the f happened on your run?
I got 5 (FIVE) punctures along the way (2 of them on the same stage), never had a spare.
The first 2 longs I basically did completely (crashed shortly after the first sector in SS1) on a puncture.
Had several more crashes, spins, runs on a puncture, time penalties and nearly broken car most of the time.

Can't believe I still placed in front of you 🤣

That was probably my worst event in a long time (without retiring) with more than 12 minutes behind the leader.
But I missed Monaco, retired in Sweden and just did an okish Greece run, so the whole championship was a mess.
USA was quite good in the top 100, but everything else...meh 😄 

The whole thing's on my stream.

Here's a few things that happened:

• Drove through about 10 trees to avoid a collision after a bad jump landing.
  • Rolled it twice on one stage.
  • Had one stage with a front left puncture.
  • Had a long stage with 2 rear punctures.
  • Did the long stage after that with a rear right puncture.
  • Rolled it twice more.
  • Had severe engine and turbo damage for 2 Stages.

9e32a668-a47c-4a2c-a468-fbbabd317e1e.jpe

Jonsson’s Castrol Rally Jämsä win sets up Solberg World Cup thriller
  • Robin Jonsson wins Castrol Rally Jämsä
  • Top Swedish gamer leads Solberg World Cup into the final round
  • Oliver Solberg sits 20th out of an amazing 16,198 participants
  • And now, the finale: Volkswagen Motorsport Rally Powys
  • Incredible DirtFish prize up for grabs at the end of SWC season 1 

Victory on Castrol Rally Jämsä has moved Robin Jonsson into pole position for a maiden Solberg World Cup in association with DirtFish championship win. 

The Swede’s third series win came on the latest event, a sensationally quick run down some of Finland’s most famous roads, which finished on Sunday. Jonsson now leads the charge into Wales for Volkswagen Motorsport Rally Powys (already up and running and concludes on Sunday June 14) to bring the curtain down on an astonishing first series which now has more than 16,000 competitors. 

Not for nothing did Nordic rule last 39 years on Finland’s 1000 Lakes Rally; these are some of rallying’s most difficult stages to learn. Glory takes guts and gumption and Jonsson demonstrated both.

Oliver was fastest from the Solberg household, finishing the event 26th – a position which takes the 18-year-old into the final round in 20th position.

Emerging from Castrol Rally Jämsä, Oliver said: “That was not easy. I can see why people talk about the flying Finns! Such a fast rally and one where you have to be so clean. It was good fun and I enjoyed it a lot! 

“I got a puncture after I landed on one jump, I think it was a bit unlucky. I enjoyed it a lot and I’m happy I came through as one of the quickest Polos in some of the stages. Now we go to Wales – another really tricky rally. I can’t believe Solberg World Cup in association with DirtFish is nearly finished. The competition has been amazing already – and so many competitors. 

“Like always, it’s quite humbling to have so many people coming to join us. I wish you all a good race in Wales. Let’s all make it flat out for Volkswagen Motorsport Rally Powys!”

Petter Solberg benefitted from a longer Volkswagen Motorsport Rally Powys recce following a shorter Castrol Rally Jämsä than planned. 

“Castrol Rally Jämsä was so difficult. My rally finished early, straight into the trees! Now I’m focused to Wales. It’s great to see how everybody’s enjoying it so much and the competition and the speed is pretty incredible!”

Volkswagen Motorsport is used to delivering at the sport’s highest level and the Hannover-based team is certainly doing that on the final round of the Solberg World Cup in association with DirtFish; the winner of the event will take away the winning manufacturer’s trophy from the 2014 Wales Rally GB.

As if that’s not amazing enough, there’s another money-can’t-buy prize in the shape of a steering wheel from a Volkswagen Polo GTI R5. The wheel, complete with exactly the same R5 controls, has been converted by Volkswagen Motorsport technicians to USB connectivity to be used in sim racing (it’s the wheel only, it doesn’t include the base).

Volkswagen Motorsport director Sven Smeets said: “We are very happy to be part of the Solberg World Cup and to become the official partner of the grand final, the Volkswagen Motorsport Rally Powys. 

“The Solberg World Cup brings thousands of people from all over the world together to compete on equal terms and we are delighted that the Polo GTI R5 is one of the most popular cars in the championship so far. As we have been working with the Solberg family in real motorsport for a long time already it’s great to make the transition into e-Sports now.

“e-Sports is a great opportunity to bring our sport and our product digitally to the people. And, just like in real life, the competition in rallying is fierce and all about speed, consistency and the ability to adjust your driving to the road conditions. The rally roads in Wales are loved and feared at the same time and we are very much looking forward to the outcome of Volkswagen Motorsport Rally Powys and the Solberg World Cup.”

7482fc23-c555-4290-86ef-1603c05a85b9.jpe

973b0e71-cda8-40fc-bdeb-aa2e6f5fe0b8.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone done Wales yet?

I'll give it a go on my stream this Friday, hoping for a good result to round out the championship.

7 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Anyone done Wales yet?

I'll give it a go on my stream this Friday, hoping for a good result to round out the championship.

Completed SS9 of Solberg World Cup Wales over the weekend thinking it was about to finish on Sunday, in 314th position. Absolutely pushed in this event but kept cool, headed into SS10... perhaps 2kms from the start, an off! Technical Damage! 🤨☹️😩🥺 Had to retire and left in 548th place. To end the season like this sucks, I hope there will be another!

If I had finished in 314th out of over 15,000 that would have been grand! 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Disappointing that P1 Championship prize has been expanded but nothing for the other spots.  I guess the winner really does take it all.  :classic_wink:

Edited by bn880

I really enjoyed this championship, with only one retirement after hitting a fence on a bridge in Sweden. Awaiting championship standings after 631th in Wales finishing with just minor scratches on my car. 😊 @PJTierney, I really liked what Oliver did with the last third of Wales: 4 long stages with a total of almost 43 kilometres without service! I actually had to consider other tyres than soft. I went for intermediate, but that last stage was extremely slippery at the end, so I really should have gone for hard. Anyway, can you consider reducing the number of services in Expert DiRT? In New Zealand you’ve put in 6 services. How about reducing it to three for the next rallies to come? That club is after all for experts, right? 😁👍🏻

11 hours ago, Kjell007 said:

I really enjoyed this championship, with only one retirement after hitting a fence on a bridge in Sweden. Awaiting championship standings after 631th in Wales finishing with just minor scratches on my car. 😊 @PJTierney, I really liked what Oliver did with the last third of Wales: 4 long stages with a total of almost 43 kilometres without service! I actually had to consider other tyres than soft. I went for intermediate, but that last stage was extremely slippery at the end, so I really should have gone for hard. Anyway, can you consider reducing the number of services in Expert DiRT? In New Zealand you’ve put in 6 services. How about reducing it to three for the next rallies to come? That club is after all for experts, right? 😁👍🏻

Hey there.

Once a Championship is set it can't change I'm afraid, not without deleting the whole thing.

Standard and Expert use the same structure, but Expert has shorter Service Areas, hardcore Damage and No Assists.

The first and last Stages are considered "Super Specials", which is why they have a Service immediately before/after.

Did my run on-stream yesterday, was sitting just under 500th place 🙂 

Will drop down about a hundred spots by the end of the weekend, but depending on who beats me I may end up Top 500 in the Championship, a good run.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

^ Not bad for going in relatively cold to the stages without that many hours in DR2!

Meanwhile I just finished, provisional P5 in wales, P7 likely and P8 in championship should be secure    AW  YISS!

Really took it steady in SS12 ... had nothing to gain by pushing there 😉

Edited by bn880
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2020 at 9:54 AM, PJTierney said:

Hey there.

Once a Championship is set it can't change I'm afraid, not without deleting the whole thing.

Standard and Expert use the same structure, but Expert has shorter Service Areas, hardcore Damage and No Assists.

The first and last Stages are considered "Super Specials", which is why they have a Service immediately before/after.

Hmm, too bad. Maybe next championship, then...

Ended up 813th in the Solberg championship, and quite happy with that. 😊 Too bad I can’t see my results for each rally, only the total. 🤔

Edited by Kjell007

On 6/11/2020 at 9:49 PM, Kjell007 said:

I really liked what Oliver did with the last third of Wales: 4 long stages with a total of almost 43 kilometres without service! I actually had to consider other tyres than soft. I went for intermediate, but that last stage was extremely slippery at the end, so I really should have gone for hard.

That was insane! I wonder how many people just bolted on softs without seeing the lack of service areas in between any of those four stages.

6 hours ago, roth8588 said:

That was insane! I wonder how many people just bolted on softs without seeing the lack of service areas in between any of those four stages.

I went mediums and brought 2 spares, but only got a puncture with 3 corners to go 😄 

• Agree 1

My SS12,  just trying to get to the end to keep my position in the championship

Which ended up being a surprising P7

2020-06-15_09h15_02.thumb.png.8ced7c1e6195d03ea9c8153325eecc57.png

I really lost some pace after SS2 where I had a very unexpected moment pretty much on a line that I always take, which shot me into a log pile and over it, off the track.  My car nor I were not the same after 😄  Also the degradation in SS12 was a bit of a shocker, hence why I also eased off another ~10s there.

It was a very tough Cup, busy time, unfamiliar events... so glad to at least get a great result from it. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone, will all the participants be receive something ?