Some advices about handbraking On Dirt Rally 2.0

Hello, I am new up here and a newbie making experience for a few days on Dirt Rally 2.0 but I experienced the past title, Dirt Rally. 
First of all I play on PS4 using a Logitech G29 Steering Wheel and during my gaming hours I found hard to push the handbrake button on my steering wheel while approaching to a corner or whenever I need. 
so I was thinking about buying and modding the G29 Shifter, so that it will turn in a pulling handbrake. Finally my question is: does the game allow to use the shifter as an handbrake? Is there a setting about it on Dirt Rally 2.0? Thanks to everyone!

Posted (edited)

It is usually much better to use a simple joystick as handbrake. The Logitech Shifter does not use an axis, it acts more just like more buttons. It has an H Layout with Reverse Gear in a Downstick mode. Is is not really suited to be used a sequential Shifter neither. That's better done with the Wheels Shifting paddels. BUT, if you use the H-shifter you can use the paddels for E-brake... that actualyl works well.

Edited by Ulanthorn

Posted (edited)

at the moment I haven’t bought the shifter yet, so I am still deciding what to do, even if I suppose I will keep on shifting gears using the steering wheel paddles. I know handbraking using the shifter will be just like an on/off button, so the input would be right as pushing the circle button on the joystick/steering wheel. The matter is just about the circle button position on the steering wheel which becomes hard to catch sometimes, for example while driving in tight corners. That’s why I thought about a way to get the handbrake out the steering wheel buttons...at the moment it seems to be the only solution I can get, considering that it would be similar to a real car cockpit. I will think about it for a while and take a decision!

Edited by NicoDS1996

Posted (edited)

You can bind handbrake and/or gear up/down to H-shifter. It works without issues in game. Those "lack of realism" issues mentioned are present of course but for budget solution i think its viable, especially if you think you could have other usage for that H-shifter also.

For example i for now use Logitech H-shifter as follows. "Rubberband mod" added so the stick always returns to neutral. Gear Up binded to 4th gear, Geard Down to 3rd gear. On top of that, Handbrake binded to 2nd gear. Might sound little crazy at first but actually its pretty fine after got used to it. Definitely better than having handbrake in some odd button, or in paddle etc.

EDIT: However if you are looking for only handbrake usage and have no need for H-shifting capabilities then I would look for actual handbrakes instead. I haven't found any budget friendly ones yet but if you have a little bit DIY mindset I think building some kind of arduino+potentiometer based handbrake is not that crazy idea. Actually thinking about that myself atm.

Edited by Kiardon
Added extra thoughts