Sign in to follow this  

Flashbacks......AGAIN

Sorry for sounding harsh but stop whining about flashbacks, if you dont want to race with flashbacks on just join/create a custom lobby without it. Simple as that. Flashbacks are nice for the newer players.

maskus said:
Sorry for sounding harsh but stop whining about flashbacks, if you dont want to race with flashbacks on just join/create a custom lobby without it. Simple as that. Flashbacks are nice for the newer players.
TBHv I agree unfortunatelt there seems to be a few on here that don't I think it's just a case of finding a compromise somewhere not suer how but that's for CM to figure out I guess

maskus said:
And nice for griefers, too.

I want to see GRID A online have the longevity of a GRID 1 or Flatout 2. Having flashbacks and no text chat put that in doubt. Flatout 1 and GRID 1 are the only two racing games that are not sims, to have a robust online PC community after 6 months that I have seen since I started racing online back in 2005 with Flatout 1.

Have seen to many racing games come to the PC and fail online over the years. :(  By now, game makers should know what works online and what don't!!!!

Offline is for a few weeks while doing career mode, online can be for years if online done right. We saw that with PC Flatout 2 ( 6 years ) and PC GRID 1 ( 3 years ).

Also with 12 players online, even if you make a mistake, you will have someone to race against. I only had about 200 wins in over 3000 races online with GRID 1. I race with good players online, so was rare for me to get a 1st. Got a few 2nd and 3rds thou. :) When I race online, my focus is trying to catch the guy in front of me and pass him cleanly. If it for 10th or for 2nd, it still very enjoyable.

And if it a griefer that take you, it a sweet feeling, when you catch back up with him and pass him cleanly!!  :D

Your average casual noob will never get better, or desire to get better, If they have any flashbacks. 

The mentality is "I doesn matter, I can flashaback".

If the noob has no flashbacks, and they keep messing up a section or a corner,  what are their options???

Option A:    Analyse what just happened, what could be done so it doesnt happen again, brake earlier                         maybe.  Try again next lap, and repeat untill they can do it.  Improve their game.

Option B:    Give up, and just keep crashing and spinning out. Eventually stop playing the game altogether.

I realise option B isnt what CM want to hear,  But its reality.  If noobs cant get to grips with the game, the game is NOT for them. They should move on to their next purchase. 

That way, the community will be filled with decent players, who can tell their friends that its not another GRID2 flashback fest. Then even more people will buy and stay playing the game.  

Catering for the noobs, is a quick money generator, but if you leave the noobs to suck, the possibilities for more customers increases.  

There are more decent players in the world than their are noobs.  

Im a complete noob when it comes to rocket engineering/science, so I tend to keep away from that.  

:D

We need hardcore public playlist to gather quickly without being relegated to private rooms only. Publick playlists that ban assists and flashbacks.

Is It that difficult for you CM to add this?, will you please the casual only once more?

"You hardcore can go and run your own custom lobbies" (roflmao)

And how will flashbacks online influence the endurance races?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/20/grid-autosport-interview/

RPS: I know you were saying, in the release anyway, that you were putting tyre degradation in there, or at least for endurance races. I wondered if that was just a feature of endurance races or that was always the case no matter what you are doing in Grid?

Nicholson: It was just for endurance racing, so with endurance racing what we wanted to do is the same approach as what we talked about already, it’s trying to get you to feel what it would be like to be an endurance driver.

So what we’re not going to make you do is stay awake for 24 hours and swap the driving seat with 2 other guys to get round the track and so on, but we want you to think tactically, we want you to think in terms of racing smoothly and consistently for a longer race, so that’s where the tyre wear kind of came in.

So the idea there is that you’ll fall away much faster if you are breaking traction and if you are skidding and if you are going off track. If you are cutting the rumble strips and that sort of thing, you’ll see the tyres wear more, but if you are smooth, you control your breaking and keep straight line, accelerate smoothly it won’t wear any where near as quickly.

So it allows you to strategize, you know you can go on the attack early and hold on later and you can obviously do the opposite and really look after your tyres and attack at the end or somewhere in between really whatever works for you.

But the key thing there is you’re thinking, you’ve got a strategy you might have to adapt it for that particular race and the AI are doing the same thing as well, you’ll see cars pull away and really fall away at the end of the race and make mistakes and that kind of thing and you’ll see guys that will attack and will suddenly have this real push for the last couple of minutes of the endurance race.

So this kind of will lead you in, I’m sure we’ll talk about more aspects of this later in terms of really setting up very different racing experiences and making you race very differently.

Online, if I push my car early to get the lead and then later in the race I go to wide into the grass coming out of turn, because my tires are worn, do I get to cheat and use a flashback?

Yes if you have flashbacks left, but you still lose time by using one as it resets you onto a part of the track you've already driven. Also if your tyres are worn, you are going to be slower in every corner compared to someone who has kept them in better condition as you simply have less grip. So flashbacks don't negate the need to use your tyres carefully.

There are things I Autosport I havent seen in arcade racers.  

Tire wear
Tuning
Full damage

they will help give people the experience of being in a race. Somewhat at least.  

I dont see where or how  a flashback does that.   

Forza 4 - full lobbies no flashbacks and its pretty old now.  
Grid 1 - Still has full lobbies online, (Xbox 360)  Years after realease.  No flashbacks.
Grid 2 - Flashbacks online and not many players left a year on.  

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Does that tell you anything? 

@RTAnoskills

Surely you know that has more to do with GRID 2 as an overall game than flashbacks themselves.

@Andi  I disagree. 

Grid 2 is easy enough to get to grips with.  The steering is extremely sensitive when playing for the first few times, using an xbox controller. 

Clean racing is possible, aslong as everyone is patient, and understands how to race.  Just because someone may be faster than the car infront of them doesnt mean they have a right to be infront of the slower car.  

So when your rammed out of the way, because you brake for a turn, that a noob thinks they can do with out braking, just because they can run really wide.  e.g. Red bull ring, 1st right turn. 

I dont blame the game for that, I blame the crappy player.  They dont understand its faster not to run 20 meters wide of the apex, bounce off the far wall, and come screaming out of control back at the rest of the pack, coming round the 1st turn. 

Flashbacks are the main problem.  Its a "get out of mess free card"  It means you dont have to concentrate, your not racing, your just mincing around a track in a car, chatting.  

That can be done in GTA5 all day long, you can even kill the other drivers who crash or get in your way.  LOL

Grid2 is supposed to be a "racing" game.  Where races happen.  

But its not, its just a " cluster F " of flashbacks and crashes, as cars suddenly appear solid right next to you, causing even more carnage.   

Its like re-spawning next to an enemy with a shotgun inches from your face.  

I do however have a solution, 

Allow unlimited flashbacks, yes UNLIMITED.   But the only way to get them, is to buy them with real money...................Introducing the CM Kredits system. 

1 flashback = £0.20 
6 for a pound

Then if someone has flashbacks I know its costing them real money.  If they start any grief, you can make them keep using flashbacks. 

LMAO

I think you're underestimating the casual player @RTAnoskills    There will always be rammers I'll grant you that but I think the average newbie does want to learn and get better though and IMO I think they should be given the chance otherwise yet again you will be left with just your friends to play with right? 

CM have to find a balance here between catering for new players and the experienced alike it's not easy and I know I wouldn't like the job but it's the job they've got. 

Nicholson, quoted by Purp:

"So what we’re not going to make you do is stay awake for 24 hours and swap the driving seat with 2 other guys to get round the track and so on, . . "

Just a nit, but as a supporter of a real time scaled 24 Hours of LeMans, in a long endurance race with two team mates, AI or warm blooded, you will have time for naps, etc.  Home delivered pizza.  Use two alarm clocks.  It can be done, by the seriously dedicated or deranged.

Frank
PC/keyboard, offline single player.

RubyRuby said:

"So what we’re not going to make you do is stay awake for 24 hours and swap the driving seat with 2 other guys to get round the track and so on, . . "

Just a nit, but as a supporter of a real time scaled 24 Hours of LeMans, in a long endurance race with two team mates, AI or warm blooded, you will have time for naps, etc.  Home delivered pizza.  Use two alarm clocks.  It can be done, by the seriously dedicated or deranged.

Frank
Would actually be awesome if you could have a team of 3 people for 1 car and pit to swap drivers after 5 mins each or something (in a 15 min race) with the other two spectating the race.

Having three players with different driving styles trying to look after the tyres would be interesting and the second and third drivers would have to adjust on the fly to the state of them.

CM have to find a balance here between catering for new players and the experienced alike it's not easy and I know I wouldn't like the job but it's the job they've got. 

Thought for a moment this was a CM staff post.

RubyRuby said:

Frank

Was anyone mad enough to ever do the full 24 hour option on Grid ?

My guess is that if no one on here did it, then it has never been done.

It would be great if there was an easter egg at the end. Like a hot girl in a bikini giving you the prize.

hola said:

Thought for a moment this was a CM staff post.
no I don't work for them I was just making a point saying they have a tricky job on their hands that is difficult to find a balance for so they have tt try to find a middle ground that suits both sides

I've started the real time 24 Hrs of LeMans a couple of times as a single player, and as far as I can see there are no pits or team mates and you can't pause the race any longer than the rest of the game before pause goes off automatically and you're back in the race, ready or not.  Not long enough for a nap or much of anything.  Not quite impossible, but nearly.  I've heard from people who have done it in other games, but not GRID.

I believe there have been one or two drivers in real life who did the whole 24 Hrs solo, but that's been outlawed for years.

Frank

Just because someone is a casual player doesn't make them a noob. 

There are plenty of experienced casual players.  

What is needed is some kind of system that explains and teaches "Racing Etiquette"  to the people who are new to racing games.

Anyone can drive a car on a track in a racing game,  there is a big difference between driving and racing.  

Flashbacks allow "drivers" to screw up "racers". 

GTA 5 is "where the drivers should find a home"   LOL 

:D

I think you're underestimating the casual player @RTAnoskills    There will always be rammers I'll grant you that but I think the average newbie does want to learn and get better though and IMO I think they should be given the chance otherwise yet again you will be left with just your friends to play with right? 

I think there 2 ways Codemasters could go with Flashbacks, just allow 1 "get out of mistake free card" or just have one beginners playlist host where a few flashbacks are allow. When new players are ready and know the tracks, they can move on to the other playlists with no flashbacks and may find the racing better since there no flashbacks.

Purple44 said:

I think there 2 ways Codemasters could go with Flashbacks, just allow 1 "get out of mistake free card" or just have one beginners playlist host where a few flashbacks are allow. When new players are ready and know the tracks, they can move on to the other playlists with no flashbacks and may find the racing better since there no flashbacks.
I think those would be the 2 best ways yeah I agree with that but as I said it is C|M's call in this instance and they have said they will be monitoring this very closely anyway once the game is out so I'm confident given time CM will find an answer

If there really has to be a flashback online, then it should be 1.  

2 or 3, is just ammo. 
can't see CM cutting it down to 1 3 maybe but no lower

As ive said before, people dont need flashbacks,  1 I can live with, but 3 just means 2 can be used to cause carnage. 

I actually disagree.

Yes, Flashbacks can provide rammers with enough cannon fodder to have repeated slams at people - but then, just the same, you - as the unassuming, unwilling victim of a deliberate T-bone at RBR turn 3 (aka chicane), aren't instant-wrecked out of the race for someone else being a turnip.

For me? I use them sparingly. Half the time, in fact, I use them when practicing a track, or when I spin the back end of my Mercedes T2 car around and I know I'm going to hit one of the other clean-racing guys in the lobbies I'm in (usually other NWR or DBR members, sometimes CGS). Most times that I bodge a corner up, so long as the car doesn't stop and doesn't start going the wrong way I'll simply back out, get back onto the track and continue on.

Of course, first corners are also usually necessitating them, since there's always one person who -doesn't- brake and causes a chain-reaction.

... Grid 2's become quite empty online not because of flashbacks, but because the online portion of the game isn't as good as Grid 1. The loan cars are terrible, and usually the most difficult-to-drive cars in the class (Honda NSX and T4 mercedes 722). They simply get frustrated by the poor handling and poor speed of those cars, compared to the Camaros and Mercedes-Benz and Corvettes and Bugattis everyone else commonly uses.

GAS has remedied that with all cars available for loan - so the people without their own cars will be able to be competitive. Rammers will always ram, flashbacks or not. I appreciate their presence but seldom use them. That's how it should be. :)