Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

F1® 2020 | Announce Trailer

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, UP100 said:

My list of P2P includes games that have the possibility of P2P, such as CSGO for example, so we just list the games differently. I even mentioned the sport mode thingy myself! 🙂 

I guess I can adress this without even having a chance to look at the code: Obviously it'd be great to have dedicated servers but it may be a bit of a tough job if the networking system is made to work as only as "P2P".

And here we go again. They just copy paste the game, don't modify nothing, just add things that break the game even more and then spend the year trying to fix all the new problems, which will carry over to the new game.

You don't have a problem if you don't address it, right? I don't freaking care of you addressing the problem. I want Codies to ******* address it and give a ******* answer. They said they worked 2 years on F1 2019. Isn't that enough to edit the code and add dedicated servers? What did they do for 2 freaking years considering the game is even more broken than the 2018 game?

They don't give a damn about their customers, if they did they would have kept the 2019 beta handling and physics without overhaul it and made it worse.

They fact they even dare to say "THE HANDLING THAT OUR SIMULATION PLAYERS LOVE" just shows they don't even listen to us, because the game is being bashed by pro drivers exactly for the unrealistic handling. They're either convinced that simracers really love their job or their scammer. Your choice.

I'll go with the second. This is just false advertising

Edited by TheWalker17
  • Agree 1

i don't know
here on this forum 
some of you guys are acting so smart
then you make game we will see how you do it
if is so easy

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, TheWalker17 said:

And here we go again. They just copy paste the game, don't modify nothing, just add things that break the game even more and then spend the year trying to fix all the new problems, which will carry over to the new game.

You don't have a problem if you don't address it, right? I don't freaking care of you addressing the problem. I want Codies to ******* address it and give a ******* answer. They said they worked 2 years on F1 2019. Isn't that enough to edit the code and add dedicated servers? What did they do for 2 freaking years considering the game is even more broken than the 2018 game?

They don't give a damn about their customers, if they did they would have kept the 2019 beta handling and physics without overhaul it and made it worse.

They fact they even dare to say "THE HANDLING THAT OUR SIMULATION PLAYERS LOVE" just shows they don't even listen to us, because the game is being bashed by pro drivers exactly for the unrealistic handling. They're either convinced that simracers really love their job or their scammer. Your choice.

I'll go with the second. This is just false advertising

What should Codies address? Online related issues such as warping and disconnection etc. have been acknowledged many, many times. You were in the F1 2019 beta as well, weren't you?

I think one of the most unfair things one can say to a programmer is that they just copy pasted the game. It doesn't even make sense in any way! One of the most important things in programming is to try and reuse your work as much as possible. See game engines in general for example!

As P2P has been the way most Codemasters' games handle multiplayer (DiRT series, F1 series, GRID series from 2 onwards, Operation Flashpoint series etc.), we can guess that the multiplayer code would be quite focused on making Peer-to-Peer connections work as well as possible. This could easily cause that the whole networking code would need to be rewritten from the ground up in order for the game to be able to support both P2P and Dedicated Servers. I'm not 100% sure what team would even be tasked to do this. Probably the engine guys, if they even exist?

Because something would have to be build from the ground up, it's incredibly expensive in terms of resources, which is probably the reason why we are in the situation we are in. It's rare to see such an essential part of an engine being rewritten.

• Disagree 2

Yeah, keep defending them fiercely, that makes you a good yes-man and a good puppet. Maybe one day you'll earn a medal or a game for free

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Because something would have to be build from the ground up, it's incredibly expensive in terms of resources, which is probably the reason why we are in the situation we are in. It's rare to see such an essential part of an engine being rewritten. 

With the next generation of consoles imminent surely a new game engine will be have to be written. The danger is the f1 series will go backwards again as in 15. The unknown for me is what the acquisition of SMS will bring. PC3 is allegedly in devepment. Is there a new madness engine? Will codemasters be able to use that engine and build upon it for their games? I doubt you can answer these questions and they are irrelevant in terms of the 20 game, but beyond that it'll be interesting to see what transpires.

Regardless, unless codemasters move towards a more accurate physics model I can't see myself purchasing. For me the driving experience is far more Important than the circus that is f1.

• Agree 4

On 4/15/2020 at 3:40 PM, BarryBL said:

I'd recommend watching the trailer, I think there some pretty big new features coming in my opinion that certainly weren't in 2019 😛 

In terms of BETA, the first place with regards to any news on this will be here, and through me. 🙂 

Yes, now hope I will be selected. Third time lucky hopefully

29 minutes ago, ChasteWand said:

With the next generation of consoles imminent surely a new game engine will be have to be written. The danger is the f1 series will go backwards again as in 15. The unknown for me is what the acquisition of SMS will bring. PC3 is allegedly in devepment. Is there a new madness engine? Will codemasters be able to use that engine and build upon it for their games? I doubt you can answer these questions and they are irrelevant in terms of the 20 game, but beyond that it'll be interesting to see what transpires.

Regardless, unless codemasters move towards a more accurate physics model I can't see myself purchasing. For me the driving experience is far more Important than the circus that is f1.

It's a pretty hard to talk about what will happen with engines with a new generation. Most likely major parts of the engine will be rewritten to work with the new APIs etc. they've planned to use. Technically the team could have an easier time now that they've at least got the game quite stable on DX12 which is the newest graphics API by Microsoft. Though I haven't really educated myself on the new consoles as I don't really care about them. I purchased an Xbox One some months back so I'm happy with that 😛 

There is also that the new specifications could mean more freedoms in the engine developments, so that could also cause more stuff to be rewritten. It really depends on the company so I'm just throwing something out there. I may come up with some more speculation later on today

SMS (afaik) is still continuing as it's on entity to an extent. Quite like how Codies Evo used to be as they created their own engine for ONRUSH. We'll see what happens.

Then about the last sentences you wrote: I think the reason I'd buy an F1 game is if I'd want to have the things that rFactor 2 cannot provide me. The things included that list are loads of different modes like career or championship mode, high quality stuff like paddocks and people that really get you immersed sometimes and etc.

These clips are really old but they still show something that not many other racing games could achieve:

https://streamable.com/pe834a 
I got lucky and saw the race leaders collide causing me to almost get first place!

https://streamable.com/524n11
I wasn't so lucky, not even all the things that happened that race as I didn't record the first laps!

14 minutes ago, UP100 said:

It's a pretty hard to talk about what will happen with engines with a new generation. Most likely major parts of the engine will be rewritten to work with the new APIs etc. they've planned to use. Technically the team could have an easier time now that they've at least got the game quite stable on DX12 which is the newest graphics API by Microsoft. Though I haven't really educated myself on the new consoles as I don't really care about them. I purchased an Xbox One some months back so I'm happy with that 😛 

There is also that the new specifications could mean more freedoms in the engine developments, so that could also cause more stuff to be rewritten. It really depends on the company so I'm just throwing something out there. I may come up with some more speculation later on today

SMS (afaik) is still continuing as it's on entity to an extent. Quite like how Codies Evo used to be as they created their own engine for ONRUSH. We'll see what happens.

Then about the last sentences you wrote: I think the reason I'd buy an F1 game is if I'd want to have the things that rFactor 2 cannot provide me. The things included that list are loads of different modes like career or championship mode, high quality stuff like paddocks and people that really get you immersed sometimes and etc.

These clips are really old but they still show something that not many other racing games could achieve:

https://streamable.com/pe834a 
I got lucky and saw the race leaders collide causing me to almost get first place!

https://streamable.com/524n11
I wasn't so lucky, not even all the things that happened that race as I didn't record the first laps!

Thanks for sharing the clips, I guess that was 12 or 13. Could you clarify?

I've had all the codemasters f1 games since they got the license. I think the current games have gone backwards. The clips reminded me of how immersive the games used to be. Crofty interviewing, newspaper/media clips, the motorhome in the paddock, other drivers outside. Things that were dropped but some have admittedly been reintroduced. Havn't played 19 but I think in respect to immersion of the f1 circus the previous generation games were better, certainly better than 18 which is my latest experience.

Maybe I'm just getting old and things were better in the good ole days!

3 minutes ago, ChasteWand said:

Thanks for sharing the clips, I guess that was 12 or 13. Could you clarify?

I've had all the codemasters f1 games since they got the license. I think the current games have gone backwards. The clips reminded me of how immersive the games used to be. Crofty interviewing, newspaper/media clips, the motorhome in the paddock, other drivers outside. Things that were dropped but some have admittedly been reintroduced. Havn't played 19 but I think in respect to immersion of the f1 circus the previous generation games were better, certainly better than 18 which is my latest experience.

Maybe I'm just getting old and things were better in the good ole days!

It was F1 2011 which is kinda my favourite F1 game due to it still having the paddock etc. that were not seen in F1 2012 anymore. Though 2012 introduced the "Season Challenge" which is probably still my favourite mode of all time as it's something you could for example stream as it takes about 2 hours to complete!

I can't say if backwards, but I can say different. Especially the soundtracks have changed. Since F1 2018 we haven't had anything else than some background music and the F1 theme. You hear the F1 theme in the game's opening, when you start any session, when you finish a session and when you're on a loading screen. These used to be around 10 different tracks!

F1 2011 has the following original tracks (at least)

• The F1 2011 Theme
  • 4 tracks for the paddock (Neutral, Practice, Quali, Race)
  • 6 tracks for when you finish a session (Practice, Quali, Race) and if you completed/didn't complete the objective
  • 5 tracks for the grid intro (Shows the leader/rival, your teammate and you)
  • 7 loading screen tracks which depend on the session type (Practice, Quali, Race) and if you're loading into the session or loading from the session back to the paddock
  • 12 tracks to introduce the circuit/session. As in when you load into the session, you'll see 3 shots from different parts of the circuit and then the player climbing to the car. These also depend on the session etc.

Though I shouldn't complain about the soundtracks this much. I've already once complained about it to the Audio Team Lead so I'm trying to avoid of cluttering the forums with the same complaints over and over.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, UP100 said:

I think having around a 1000 testers is enough as it should provide enough players from all areas.

Dedicated servers are always useful, they do use some kind of LAN system in the actual F1 esports events but if the groundwork for the networking is still P2P-like, it doesn't help much 😕 

Question is how many of those testers will want to actually fix the games problems. Comparing to those who upload the content to their youtube channel just to gain views with clickbait titles?

I think dedicated servers are a must for any racing game. Although given their reputation they would find away of un-optimizing the game properly. I remember the first esports event in F1 2017 I think. The game was so poor their was lag (or could possibly have been framerate drops) ON A LAN.

Personally from what another user said here a while back a full rewrite of their EGO engine (or whatever it's called now) is sorely needed.     

16 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Question is how many of those testers will want to actually fix the games problems. Comparing to those who upload the content to their youtube channel just to gain views with clickbait titles?

I think dedicated servers are a must for any racing game. Although given their reputation they would find away of un-optimizing the game properly. I remember the first esports event in F1 2017 I think. The game was so poor their was lag (or could possibly have been framerate drops) ON A LAN.

Personally from what another user said here a while back a full rewrite of their EGO engine (or whatever it's called now) is sorely needed.     

You can find my opinions about the beta from this thread

Technically Beta testers are not allowed to share any footage of the game... but there are always people who break the rules.

3 hours ago, massa88 said:

i don't know
here on this forum 
some of you guys are acting so smart
then you make game we will see how you do it
if is so easy

And this reply isn't acting like a smartass? Calling people out to make a better game? Sorry but omg, how's that not shortsighted? 

WE buy the product THEY build, we pass on issues found by us and/or pro's / F1 drivers about the terrible handling. We pay for something, so we may expect what they promise. 

People are even giving ideas like hiring someone like Hulkenberg to better replicate the handling model. 

The real massa was also always good at complaining and pointing blame at everyone else. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Reality is, even if the testers find every bug, its upto the devs to fix them, and from past iterations to now, it's clear they aren't focused on fleshing out the problems

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, UP100 said:

I think having around a 1000 testers is enough as it should provide enough players from all areas.

Dedicated servers are always useful, they do use some kind of LAN system in the actual F1 esports events but if the groundwork for the networking is still P2P-like, it doesn't help much 😕 

Yeah those esport series are 20 players in the same arena, on a LAN system. No interference whatsoever.

but when it comes to the real deal, with REAL situations, like home...

come on, You (I mean CM, not Up100) fail so hard and emberrass yourself so hard when people all around the world can see how terrible the online system is? 

Edited by AlexTT
  • Agree 5

On 4/15/2020 at 11:10 PM, BarryBL said:

I can finally stop calling it "Codemasters - Future Titles"

We're delighted to announce F1® 2020 - and here's a little trailer to wet your appetite. 

We hope you like the initial look and some of our new features. Be the 11th team in our biggest F1® game yet. Introducing F1® 2020. Coming to PS4, Xbox One, PC and Google Stadia July 10 2020.

Full article: https://www.codemasters.com/be-the-eleventh-team-on-the-grid-in-f1-2020/ (Thanks @1512marcel 😛 )

So, are we going to fix the dumb A.I. that just drives into you like you are nothing, the consistently bad penalty system (as in, if you get hit, you get a penalty and a broken front wing, if you hit them because there is nothing you can do, you get a penalty and a broken front wing, you look at the sky and you get a penalty and a broken front wing), the A.I. that drives perfect in the wet weather flat out without having to slow down, the lack of a tutorial for new players, Eau Rouge being borderline un-driveable, random curbs spinning your car into the wall while the A.I. can take them perfectly, you know, the game overall?  Maybe it is time that you guys either got the REAL F1 drivers, and their test drivers, to actually test the game, instead of just rehashing the previous year's broken game with a new lick of paint and more broken and unrealistic mechanics.  I liked 2014 and 2015, but this series has gone like WWE 2K20, a broken, lazy mess that looks pretty but is just an expensive pile of ****.  I would rather play the old PS1 games that Sony put out, or even the one that EA or Paradigm put out in the early 2000's over this ****.  Go back to making Dizzy games for the love of God.  Maybe skip 2020 and work on the game for 2021 instead.  Cancelling my Pre-order first chance I get.

2 hours ago, hangar1851 said:

So, are we going to fix the dumb A.I. that just drives into you like you are nothing, the consistently bad penalty system (as in, if you get hit, you get a penalty and a broken front wing, if you hit them because there is nothing you can do, you get a penalty and a broken front wing, you look at the sky and you get a penalty and a broken front wing), the A.I. that drives perfect in the wet weather flat out without having to slow down, the lack of a tutorial for new players, Eau Rouge being borderline un-driveable, random curbs spinning your car into the wall while the A.I. can take them perfectly, you know, the game overall?  Maybe it is time that you guys either got the REAL F1 drivers, and their test drivers, to actually test the game, instead of just rehashing the previous year's broken game with a new lick of paint and more broken and unrealistic mechanics.  I liked 2014 and 2015, but this series has gone like WWE 2K20, a broken, lazy mess that looks pretty but is just an expensive pile of ****.  I would rather play the old PS1 games that Sony put out, or even the one that EA or Paradigm put out in the early 2000's over this ****.  Go back to making Dizzy games for the love of God.  Maybe skip 2020 and work on the game for 2021 instead.  Cancelling my Pre-order first chance I get.

you liked 2014 and 2015 but you don't like the recent games, are you having a laugh? Also why would you preorder the game then decide its garbage and want to cancel it when there has been no new information given about the game? people in this forum are so dumb 

2 minutes ago, CameronB said:

you liked 2014 and 2015 but you don't like the recent games, are you having a laugh? Also why would you preorder the game then decide its garbage and want to cancel it when there has been no new information given about the game? people in this forum are so dumb 

No, I am not having a laugh, I thought all the games, until after F1 2017, were good, but 2019 is a massive step backwards.  And, I preordered it thinking about giving the series one last go, but, I changed my mind, which people do, and can do, if they so wish.  And, as for people in here being dumb, you fit in quite well.

• Thanks 1

@barrylb

Many years i play F1 Games.

Its always the same race option

3/5/25%/50%/100%.

50% is not balanced for race stratégie if you take a look on some track. Will you had the 75% race? It will be great if we get it for the first time since 5 years

• Agree 2

48 minutes ago, hangar1851 said:

And, as for people in here being dumb, you fit in quite well.

damn you got me good

Well we can hope we get even more pretty clouds this year? 

satire off

• Haha 3

Can you choose the tracks on a shortened career? Some tracks I absolutely hate

7 hours ago, hangar1851 said:

No, I am not having a laugh, I thought all the games, until after F1 2017, were good, but 2019 is a massive step backwards.  And, I preordered it thinking about giving the series one last go, but, I changed my mind, which people do, and can do, if they so wish.  And, as for people in here being dumb, you fit in quite well.

Hi @hangar1851

I find it very difficult to understand how you have judged our efforts on the announcement trailer. While you are more than entitled to do what you like, maybe you should read some of my earlier posts on this thread on the trailer and it’s intentions. 

Seems like a sweeping action based on under 1 minute of media. 

Here's my wishlist:

- realistic ERS

- realistic DRS

- equal cars to be equal

- mirror

- practice mode (with wear and fuel consumption same as online)

- driving with assists much much slower than without assists

- some sort of telemtry to view lap data

- PAD not be so OP

- filter mode in online (for easier search)

- better broadcast

- more balanced FP, quali and race times of AI's 

- option for 75% race distance

- oundersteer enhance from 1-100% i stead of just ON/OFF

- driver transfer turn OFF option

- different Jeff's messages, more emotion

- a possibility to change fuelmap and ERS on grid, not just during formation lap

- a lot more empty setup slots

- better described car setup options with engeneer (good) advices 

- better penalty system

... off the head, probably could go on with the list.

Dream-wish list :

- more realistic handling

- overall better stability of game

- less bugs

- not so stupid AI's under blue flag

- better engine and tire sound

- separate time trial leaderboard for pad and wheels

- feel of a flatspot

- realistic driving over kerbs

- manual pit lane driving

- more informations during the race

- better replay mode

- more options in customization menu

... again, definitely could go on.

Anyway, I enjoy this series, and I accepted the fact that this is arcade game long time ago. I buy every F1 game since 2016, and i'll pre-order 2020 as soon as its possible.

• Agree 4

Posted (edited)

I’ve bought almost all previous F1 games at release. And I’ll most likely buy 2020 too. 
Was 2019 perfect? No, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. 

the only thing that kan kill this game for me, is if they go overboard with the microtransactions. Frequently updated, obtrusive, all-the-time-in-your-face microtransactions.

I hope I’m wrong, but all those “My Team” liveries, make me fear a mtx-fest. We’ll just have to see...

Edited by StanleyGoodspeed
Typo
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, StanleyGoodspeed said:

the only thing that kan kill this game for me, is if they go overboard with the microtransactions. Frequently updated, obtrusive, all-the-time-in-your-face microtransactions.

I hope I’m wrong, but all those “My Team” liveries, make me fear a mtx-fest. We’ll just have to see...

I also share the same concerns. Last year the micro-transactions were limited to multiplayer cosmetics but part of me fears the new “My Team” mode is a way for them to encourage the same cosmetic purchases in career mode as well.

Don’t get me wrong, I get it’s business and perhaps Codemasters plan on using those MTX to invest extra finances into the development and make the games better and better.

For now though it’s probably unfair of me to assume anything until we see more of the game and learn more on exactly what the new features hold.