Sign in to follow this  

f1 2019 ballast rules and going forward to 2020

Right. I have had this debate before I think but I don't think F1 2019 does the ballast rules right.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/10/18/how-f1-will-cut-shorter-drivers-weight-advantage-in-2019/

"To make it harder for drivers to gain an advantage through the positioning of this ballast, its location is specified in the rules. The 2019 regulations state it must be “entirely located to the car between the front and rear extent of the cockpit entry template, attached securely to the survival cell and sealed by the FIA.” Teams can continue to position other ballast elsewhere on the car."

Now this is my understanding of the rules. The 80kg needs to be made up in the cockpit but the rest is free game where you put it. And thus taking the ballast option out for 2019 was wrong imo.

Now why do I care? The removal destroyed all my setups in 2019. I was a lot slower. 

• Agree 3

14 hours ago, SingaporeTrackLizard said:

The removal destroyed all my setups in 2019. I was a lot slower

Absolutely true. It was removed for technical accuracy but no attempt was made to address the resulting handling issues like would have been done IRL. You don't hear Mercedes say "oh dear the new rule change makes it harder for us to tweak driver preference let's do absolutely nothing to try and get round that.."

🤔😎

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sloppysmusic said:

Absolutely true. It was removed for technical accuracy but no attempt was made to address the resulting handling issues like would have been done IRL. You don't hear Mercedes say "oh dear the new rule change makes it harder for us to tweak driver preference let's do absolutely nothing to try and get round that.."

🤔😎

Yes, and as I said above. I don't believe the complete removal is correct. AFAIK the only ballast limited in position is the 80kg assigned to the driver seat.

Edited by SingaporeTrackLizard
  • Agree 3

@BarryBL Sorry for the tag but I wondered what CMs position is on this. I have been confused about the specifics of this rule for a year and do you plan to do anything regarding the fact it ruined everyone's setups that they had from 2018?

On 4/16/2020 at 1:41 PM, sloppysmusic said:

🤔😎

F1 has had weight distribution restrictions for years now:

"4.1 Minimum weight : The weight of the car, without fuel, must not be less than 745kg at all times during the Event. If, when required for checking, a car is not already fitted with dry‐weather tyres, it will be weighed on a set of dry‐weather tyres selected by the FIA technical delegate.

4.2 Weight distribution : The weight applied on the front and rear wheels must not be less than the weight specified in Article 4.1 factored by 0.455 and 0.535 respectively at all times during the qualifying practice session. Rounding will be to nearest 0.5kg. If, when required for checking, a car is not already fitted with dry‐weather tyres, it will be weighed on a set of dry‐weather tyres selected by the FIA technical delegate."

Basically weight distribution changes can range from 45 to 46% front, it's extremely limited and shouldn't affect the car a huge deal so what we had in 2018 was off.

What we need is suspension settings working better and affecting the handling of the car in a more noticeable way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LChaves01 said:

What we need is suspension settings working better and affecting the handling of the car in a more noticeable way.

True but what we really need is a complete handling and tuning overhaul. It's well know that suspension 'geometry' is not limited to one area but a complex interaction with multiple mechanical systems between the car and its wheels. A driver without the option to find tune the car to his driving is effectively a spec series driver. F1 has never been spec racing. Cars have to perform to rigid guidelines yes but the key to winning is actually mostly driver /setup perfection. It is this huge missing part of the game that is responsible I believe for most F1 drivers to not even consider entering current online events with the F1 games compared to setup heavy sims like rfactor and iracing.

• Agree 1