F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

In case Codemasters missed this, on accident or intentionally...

41 minutes ago, DANDREWTHOMSON said:

What with SMS now part of codemasters the tracks especially on the new consoles should get an upgrade, 

Just because SMS is part of Codies, doesn't mean they have any kind of significant effect on the Birmingham based F1 team. They could as well go help Southam or even Cheshire, if they'd help anyone at all.

• Confused 3

Guest Bicarda
5 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Just because SMS is part of Codies, doesn't mean they have any kind of significant effect on the Birmingham based F1 team. They could as well go help Southam or even Cheshire, if they'd help anyone at all.

Doesn't mean it's not a missed opportunity if they do NOT use their expertise to finally fix their f1 game. 

Just now, Bicarda said:

Doesn't mean it's not a missed opportunity if they do NOT use their expertise to finally fix their f1 game. 

I'm sure SMS has something they're doing as well. It's a bit selfish that somehow the F1 team could halt any of the other studios just because "they need the expertise".

• Disagree 1

The game isn't designed to be realistic but to LOOK realistic at first glance to the major market, the casuals. During the design phase proposals are made for improvements and they have to be able to rake in more sales or they don't get implemented. Slightly better reviews don't pay the bills! If the main market was simmers they would have done it already because that market demands accuracy. Simmers will buy the F1 games anyway as they don't have any other choice. So from the business stand point alone it makes no sense to spend thousands on laser tracks. So what if some drivers complain? Only a few people will see that or even care. It won't be headline news especially now. Personally I'm OCD for accuracy so I just don't buy the game (although I will gladly test it and offer suggestions). I'm just one person though with only a handful of others caring the same as I do. You're not gonna get thousands of casuals refusing to buy the game because some of the kerbs ain't in the right place. Sad but true, it's all about making the most money from the least effort and keeping serious criticism to a minimum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 2

I mean, if we're talking about inaccuracies, some of the DRS zones implemented in the late season (like the 3rd zone in Singapore, for example) are completely absent in this game. STILL.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, UP100 said:

I'm sure SMS has something they're doing as well. It's a bit selfish that somehow the F1 team could halt any of the other studios just because "they need the expertise".

But isn't that the whole reason a company brings another company on board?  To use their expertise?  I don't mean they should up and command them to halt all production, but if that's something SMS is known for, it would stand to reason to have them do it.

24 minutes ago, mantazzo said:

I mean, if we're talking about inaccuracies, some of the DRS zones implemented in the late season (like the 3rd zone in Singapore, for example) are completely absent in this game. STILL.

Do you by any chance frequent the rf2 forums

21 minutes ago, DrDraken said:

But isn't that the whole reason a company brings another company on board?  To use their expertise?  I don't mean they should up and command them to halt all production, but if that's something SMS is known for, it would stand to reason to have them do it.

To make money. SMS guys will probably continue existing as their own studio so I don't see how they'll be a significant help for the F1 side. There are loads of other projects that could also need that expertise, including their own.

Here are info about all of the studios

• Southam (/RACING STUDIO)
    The HQ, the studio that put Codemasters on the map as a racing game developer with such games as GRID and DiRT under their belt. They also do other titles every now and then.

• Codemasters Birmingham (/Swordfish Studios)
    The F1 guys. Acquired in November 2008, these guys rarely do things other than the official F1 games. They did develop the 2005 year's Brian Lara International Cricket though.

• Cheshire (/Codemasters Evo)
    The ONRUSH guys. The studio moved under Codemasters after Sony shut it down.

• India / KL Studios
    These guys provide a lot of QA and assets for various Codemasters titles.

Now considering that Swordfish and Evolution Studios went on to make their own games, I really doubt that somehow an already known studio like SMS would for some reason stick to a support role. They'll totally want to use their knowledge to create games! It would also be some work to even introduce SMS guys to the systems and tools that Birmingham guys use etc. etc.

I believe SMS still hires its employees through their own pages and they aren't even mentioned on the Codemasters site as of yet. Codies basically just own it at this point, with SMS still having their own CEO etc.

Edited by UP100

15 minutes ago, pachedupdemon said:

Do you by any chance frequent the rf2 forums

Eh, not too often, more like sometimes. If Discord, I do chat every now and then there. /offtopic

5 minutes ago, UP100 said:

To make money. SMS guys will probably continue existing as their own studio so I don't see how they'll be a significant help for the F1 side. There are loads of other projects that could also need that expertise, including their own.

Here are info about all of the studios

• Southam (/RACING STUDIO)
    The HQ, the studio that put Codemasters on the map as a racing game developer with such games as GRID and DiRT under their belt. They also do other titles every now and then.

• Codemasters Birmingham (/Swordfish Studios)
    The F1 guys. Acquired in November 2008, these guys rarely do things other than the official F1 games. They did develop the 2005 year's Brian Lara International Cricket.

• Cheshire (/Codemasters Evo)
    The ONRUSH guys. The studio moved under Codemasters after Sony shut it down.

• India / KL Studios
    These guys provide a lot of QA and assets for various Codemasters titles.

Now considering that Swordfish and Evolution Studios went on to make their own games, I really doubt that somehow an already known studio like SMS would for some reason stick to a support role. They'll totally want to use their knowledge to create games! It would also be some work to even introduce SMS guys to the systems and tools that Birmingham guys use etc. etc.

I think you're making this a lot more complicated than I originally meant.  If SMS is a studio, then yes, they will want to make their own games.  But if they are known for laser scanning tracks and integrating that into their games, AND Codemasters brought them on as an affiliate (I'm not aware of their exact business relationship), AND Codemasters has an interest in using laser scanning to increase the realism and accuracy of the game (as players have requested) then this is a great opportunity to do so.

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, DrDraken said:

I think you're making this a lot more complicated than I originally meant.  If SMS is a studio, then yes, they will want to make their own games.  But if they are known for laser scanning tracks and integrating that into their games, AND Codemasters brought them on as an affiliate (I'm not aware of their exact business relationship), AND Codemasters has an interest in using laser scanning to increase the realism and accuracy of the game (as players have requested) then this is a great opportunity to do so.

Maybe, maybe not? SMS is still their own entity who want to develop things as well and have as limited resources as Codies do. If F1 guys want to start laser scanning tracks, it's such time consuming etc. that you might as well rather contract people or just hire more employees that work on these areas.

1 minute ago, UP100 said:

Maybe, maybe not? SMS is still their own entity who want to develop things as well and have as limited resources as Codies do. If F1 guys want to start laser scanning tracks, it's such time consuming etc. that you might as well rather contract people or just hire more employees that work on these areas.

I know it's expensive.  I know it would require resources.  But making video games is what Codemasters does, so if they ever plan to add laser scanning, this is a good opportunity to do so.  If they wanted to do it, I'm sure one of their people could figure out how to fit it into the budget and project timeline.

15 minutes ago, UP100 said:

They don't actually have to laser scan them, most tracks have the scans already done that you can licence, codemasters concentrate on graphics so I don't see it as they will have to employ more people, just reassign the graphics guys tasks. 

If small studios with tiny budgets like S397 can do it, there's nothing you can say to defend why codemasters couldn't shouldn't etc

• Agree 2

Just now, pachedupdemon said:

They don't actually have to laser scan them, most tracks have the scans already done that you can licence, codemasters concentrate on graphics so I don't see it as they will have to employ more people, just reassign the graphics guys tasks. 

If small studios with tiny budgets like S397 can do it, there's nothing you can say to defend why codemasters couldn't shouldn't etc

Well Codies have in the past (for example) used LIDAR data to help with the creation of certain tracks like Paul Ricard. The problem comes when you have to use the data to create something

1 minute ago, UP100 said:

Well Codies have in the past (for example) used LIDAR data to help with the creation of certain tracks like Paul Ricard. The problem comes when you have to use the data to create something

Um... what?  That's called "programming" and it's what Codies does.  If their developers honestly can't figure out what to do with the data, then I'd be very surprised.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrDraken said:

Um... what?  That's called "programming" and it's what Codies does.  If their developers honestly can't figure out what to do with the data, then I'd be very surprised.

Using data to construct a world in this case is definitely not programming. In fact it could be the exact opposite as many programmers are horrible with modelling and such actions. Sure literally everything is programming in the end as everything has to tie into the game somehow.

Tracks are created by artists and level designers that use the data they have try and have the most accurate assets as is possible with the data they got.

For example: The rF2 guys laserscanned the Nürburgring track in 2018 but they were only able to release it in September of 2019. Shows that creating all the assets to an acceptable standard takes time.