Sign in to follow this  

20 Years Since F199

Great to be back!!

With the lockdown, I dug out my old F1 99 from the loft and installed it under W10 on a Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 i5/8Gb/256Gb and it ran just fine, although the 20 year old Thrustmaster FFB wheel had issues due to lack of W10 drivers and accel/brake pedal swapped over.
So bought a new Thrustmaster Force Feedback Wheel - T150 Pro and F1 2019.  All installed, inc Steam, fine on a 1 TB Seagate Backup USB drive plugged into a generic USB C dock USB 3 port. Plugged the wheel into the laptop USB 2.0 port and a Samsung 28 inch TV Monitor into USB dock HDMI port.
I also installed the Intel Graphics Command Centre app, which seems to have dedicated games settings.
So Laptop now runs 2 displays - PC at native resolution and TV/Monitor at 1366 x 768 but switches to 1920 x 1080 when game is running.  Generally just run the Samsung display - not sure if that is better for graphics performance rather than run PC display as well.
Game runs really well - no lag - and great fun. Think PC has crashed once or twice but after 2 - 3 hours game play and I'm exhausted - sore arms from force feedback. There are a lot of forces involved. The pedals walk about on the carpet and the whole desk bends and twists. So need something stronger!!
With 20/20 hindsight, perhaps I should have bought the business SL3 i5 with 16Gb memory??

5 hours ago, thisdisplayname said:

Great to be back!!

With the lockdown, I dug out my old F1 99 from the loft and installed it under W10 on a Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 i5/8Gb/256Gb and it ran just fine, although the 20 year old Thrustmaster FFB wheel had issues due to lack of W10 drivers and accel/brake pedal swapped over.
So bought a new Thrustmaster Force Feedback Wheel - T150 Pro and F1 2019.  All installed, inc Steam, fine on a 1 TB Seagate Backup USB drive plugged into a generic USB C dock USB 3 port. Plugged the wheel into the laptop USB 2.0 port and a Samsung 28 inch TV Monitor into USB dock HDMI port.
I also installed the Intel Graphics Command Centre app, which seems to have dedicated games settings.
So Laptop now runs 2 displays - PC at native resolution and TV/Monitor at 1366 x 768 but switches to 1920 x 1080 when game is running.  Generally just run the Samsung display - not sure if that is better for graphics performance rather than run PC display as well.
Game runs really well - no lag - and great fun. Think PC has crashed once or twice but after 2 - 3 hours game play and I'm exhausted - sore arms from force feedback. There are a lot of forces involved. The pedals walk about on the carpet and the whole desk bends and twists. So need something stronger!!
With 20/20 hindsight, perhaps I should have bought the business SL3 i5 with 16Gb memory??

Running just the external display is better than trying to run two displays especially with scaling on one.

The laptop probably crashes due to being pegged at high frequency for gameplay.