DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
How to contact Customer Service Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Force feedback and degrees problems

I have problem with force feedback, using a TS-PC Racer.
On the straights the wheel is weak, but when I turn even a few degrees, I feel an absurd push towards the opposite side.
With these sways, it seems like in the front there are two bicycle tyres.
It's easier to drive on gravel then on asphalt.
Cornering, the wheel is hard, but is more a difficult to turn it, that a real return force.
Totally undriveable.

My profiler setup is:
540°
Overall, constant and periodic: 100%.
Spring and damper: 0%.
Auto-center: by the game

Another problem is that if I don't put the same degrees range of the car on profiler, the wheel rotation doesn't match 1:1.
I started with 1080 degrees on profiler and I did the calibration in game, but when I was in the car, 1 virtual degree corrisponded to 2 degrees of the TS-PC Racer.
I tried other degrees range on profiler, but the game, even with soft lock on, is set like to spread the degrees of the virtual car to cover all the range of the real wheel.
In the end, I tried 5-6 cars and I saw that the steering range in game was 540 degrees, and i setted the same value on profiler.
I don't know if there are cars with more or less degrees, but anyway, if I set 1080 degrees on profiler and 1080 degrees in game, with a correct percentual rotation, it should work.

My in game force feedback setup is similar to the others findable online. I readed yet all the post that I thought could help me.
It's really frustrating.

No issues with Kartkraft, AC and rFactor 2.

Thank you in advance for the support.

Ignore the ingame steering wheel, it has no bearing on anything, its just an animation. Ideally, set it to show "wheel only" in the games preferences.

I use a Thrustmaster T300 set to 1080° of rotation, and I use soft lock in the game. Soft lock matches your wheels rotation to the rotation the car uses, some cars will be 540, some higher than that. It all depends on the car.

This video shows my in game settings for my wheel.

Thank you for the answer.
The problem is that I use VR and don't have the correct steering rotation isn't good for the immersion.
I'll try your setup, but it seems similar to mine.
Do you have strange effect driving on straights?

23 minutes ago, tonino999 said:

Thank you for the answer.
The problem is that I use VR and don't have the correct steering rotation isn't good for the immersion.
I'll try your setup, but it seems similar to mine.
Do you have strange effect driving on straights?

I play in VR also, just occasionally, for the sake of a clear insctructional video, I will run on my LG tv or a gaming monitor instead. Turning off the driver in the settings and leaving it on "wheel only" resolves the issues completely. You just have to get used to not seeing the driver hands there is all. I will link a couple of videos with a wheel cam, so that you can see.

yes. Set up max steering range in steering wheel drivers/software. Enable (if applicable) option to allow the game to change steering wheel settings.
Calibrate in DR2, Turn On soft lock in DR2. You can change visibility of steering wheel in dr2 as mentioned by posters above.

I'm playing mostly R5 and 2000 class. The first has 540 degrees of rotation which matches perfectly with controller wheel. The latter has 640 degrees which turns intois slight difference in animation, because animation handles up to 540 degrees rotation. I used to it (ussually I'm not focusing on animated wheel). But if it's an issue, turn animated hands off leaving steering wheel only

I thought soft lock wasn't working, at least on Xbox. Can any consolero confirm this is fixed?

Have no experience with consoes. OP was mentioning rFactor2 so I'm assuming he is talking about PC version.

You can match animation to your wheel by setting saturation to 60.

Both wheels will now match in all cars. This is the case on PS4 not sure about other platforms.

Yes and no.

You can match physical steering wheel to animation (not opposite way) by using saturation. it's true.

But you have to re-match them for different cars. Cars with 540 rotation angle (R5) needs saturation 100. Cars with 640 rotation angle needs 75 and so on (numbers valid for my 900* steering wheel if does matter)

It might be comfy in some way but: it also changes the ratio between physical wheel and simulated one. In result you compress lock-to-lock rotation for every car to 540 degrees (to match animation, because it is animation limit). in other words you turn cars with 640* or 900* into 540*. It's not surprising that it affects handling. Again: might be comfy because mostly it makes those cars drive easier (less movement needed to get a turn)

I have to admit, not long ago I was thinking the same as you, changing saturation to satisfy animation. But recently one of my colleagues helped me to realize it's not proper way in case realistic handling has priority. I learnt to live with this not perfect animation (I play in VR) and actually it's not a big deal to used to it.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

Hmmm, I do see your point, so would you recommend leaving saturation at 100 and have soft lock on?

I don’t run with wheel animation on anyway and tbh I’d perefer authentic steering experience.

Although I haven’t measured it with sat at 60 every car feels to have similar rotation, even R5, which I guess feels to be 540 if compared to say wrc8

3 hours ago, Frankiestail said:

Hmmm, I do see your point, so would you recommend leaving saturation at 100 and have soft lock on?

Yes. 

• Agree 1